• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Portland Powell’s Bookstore announces it won’t sell Andy Ngo’s book in store

Ten_Fold

Jan 18, 2017
most local stores that sell new books are pretty much gone, and with them wanting everything $15 an hour will kill small mom and pop book stores. You can’t do shit about Amazon they don’t need you, an they are STILL growing.

Reactions: Madevil

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
I'm in favor of freedom of speech and expression but I also completely understand a business' right to deliberate exactly which product they decide to carry within their inventory.

Reactions: Madevil

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Jun 5, 2011
I like Ngo's field work and think this is fundamentally wrong. But it is a private business and they have to cater to their clientele.

• Fire
Reactions: Tesseract

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
People screaming fascism all summer long want to burn books in a bookstore.

Have they changed the curriculum on the west coast to explain how those Salem witches deserved it yet?

Boss Mog

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
I like Ngo's field work and think this is fundamentally wrong. But it is a private business and they have to cater to their clientele.

Catering to your clientele doesn't mean catering to a handful of deranged people though. I'm pretty sure those people shouting have never bought a book in that store or any store for that matter.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008

TKOFromTokyo

Jul 20, 2020
That's not really uncommon, though. Lots of chains keep a "banned book/controversial history" section, with Mein Kampf featured prominently. The other common one is The Satanic Verses.

I know, it’s just funny that the book written by the man who eventually led the Nazis is no big deal but this guy’s book should be banned.

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I know, it’s just funny that the book written by the man who eventually led the Nazis is no big deal but this guy’s book should be banned.

Well if Antifa ever need replacements for their handbook, they know where to locally source for resupply.

• Fire
Reactions: TKOFromTokyo

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
I used to be surprised by how many believe AntiFa isn't real, but I failed to recognize the key term of belief in that sentence. The less you interact with the world then the less personal facts of the world you have. If you understand the world purely by keyboard then you'll understand the world purely by belief.

Look at it via something that is less politically charged: TV is pretty formulaic and that is part of its success. Many a sitcom relies on comedic beats more than good jokes. Consistent character reactions. The catch phrase. The reliably expected thing. The audience knows all the cues of when they're supposed to laugh. The blogger knows all the cues for what to believe. They understand the world by letting the flow of the formula guide them. Your world view will be one of comforting consistency in that regard.

Last edited:

Mista K

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
That's not what I asked. I asked if you thought that Trump supporters would act like leftist angry mobs over a book release?
Well, I have said on gaf before that this is the year for double standards. Righties protested jk rowling back in the day and called her a witch, so it's entirely possible.

Zog

Oct 24, 2017
Well, I have said on gaf before that this is the year for double standards. Righties protested jk rowling back in the day and called her a witch, so it's entirely possible.
I guess we'll see because there most likely will be a book.

Reactions: Mista K

The Pleasure

Jan 8, 2019
Force all the small businesses to close and you're left with Amazon, which you can't protest or smash and does nothing for your local community.
Don’t worry. Amazon will send a drone to break their back and them simultaneously give them amazon.com workers comp insurance which will delay all of the medications they need.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: EviLore

JSoup

Jun 20, 2013
California
Who the fuck want to read a book about antifa do a cool anti ground doco movie

I know you already cleared up what you're saying here, but I wanted to note that I miss read this as "cool anti ground disco movie" and, just saying, I'd be down for a movie like that. I'm thinking The Warriors, but with stupid people. And disco.

Kerlurk

May 1, 2020
Portland is a beautiful city, and along with my wife, and friends have visited the place a few times.

We always visit Powell's bookstore (amazing place and supposedly the biggest in the US), and I make a point in picking some obscure interesting book. The Secret Life of Lobsters was one, and the The Invention of Air was another.

Oh no, Antifa, I'm sure there are some terrible things in those books against you!

Now I'm wondering if I would ever go back. Same with Seattle after it's "Summer of Love".

These two cities are some of the most liberal cities in America, and if that's what liberalism has to offer, I want no part of it.

With out law and order, safety is a concern, especially if I'm there with my wife.

The police aren't the problem, it's the elected officials (no strong action or strong language against Antifa) and judiciary (keep on releasing them!!!).

I find it interesting that Antifa (who repeatedly for over 100 days tried to burn down the Federal Court House, and the local police station) are not domestic terrorists, but the guys who stormed (many were let in by the Capitol police) the Capitol (most of them posed for selfies) are.

Last edited: