• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland Trail Blazers unveil new logo

blazersgloballogo.png

That actually looks great.

Fuchsdh

It's a better design that is more modern-looking than its predecessor (90s/early 2000s sports teams all have that really bad bold color + thick outline choices that have really dated them.) Unsurprisingly, going more minimal means they've ended up with a logo that's pretty much like previous incarnations. It would probably look better without the border at all.

But yeah it still has the "how is this a trailblazing logo" when it looks like a hurricane shape issue.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Is that even legit? Gap still uses the old logo everywhere and on their website.

Happened in 2010, they got so much backlash that they went back to the original. I had to look it up because I didn't believe it either haha.

El-Suave

A redesign should be more bold to justify the costs in my opinion.
Applying this redesign for our German unemployment agency cost more than ten million Euros for example in addition to the costs of the design itself:
b4dfb4bdb17fd9a1u6u9t.gif

bigred50

A slight tinkering.
Looks good, and a semi throwback to the previous logo.

The explanation on the website is a load of BS though.

Here's the full tapestry.
2017030422495800-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

And here's a close up of the hero and Ganon:

And compare it to the Link we know.

Link definitely does not look like that hero from 10,000 years ago! I know every Link/Hero looks different but when did the hero ever get full red facial hair? The only characters that do are traditionally the Gerudo.

It's possible the artist was taking some artistic liberties but Calamity Ganon and Zelda look pretty similar to their source in the game.

Calamity Ganon's Dragon-like form:
2c6bca5f68e0873044340ca800848de4d02fa141_hq.gif

Zelda's prayer clothes:
5003957e24de23ef8383cfab89c977d03bde9d63_hq.gif

So is it possible the hero 10,000 years ago wasn't the traditional Link or Hero? And if so, who were they and what could it mean?

Also, Zelda looks pretty tanned in the tapestry as well.

Here's Kass retelling the story of 10,000 years ago if you like to revisit it: https://youtu.be/SUrdvYL80pM?t=10s

Bonus: How the does old Impa live so long?

A redesign should be more bold to justify the costs in my opinion.
Applying this redesign for our German unemployment agency cost more than ten million Euros for example in addition to the costs of the design itself:
b4dfb4bdb17fd9a1u6u9t.gif
A sports franchise profits when it changes its logo. It's a lot easier to justify the costs.

220px-BBC_logo_%28pre97%29.svg.png

to

220px-BBC.svg.png

cost the license fee payer £1.8m according to one website. Which is funny 'cos all they did is get the old 70's/early 80's logo and straighten it out.

220px-BBC_logo_%2880s%29.svg.png

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh wow, bold and courageous choice there Portland. Pfftt. I was expecting more.

impirius

Not bad, but I prefer the 90s iteration. The italicized type went well with the logo. Reduce the type thickness and ditch the shadow, and that's about perfect for today.

R6XK5Hh.png

The extraneous serifs on sports logotypes really need to go. The new P and T look nasty.

jstripes

Banned
Graphic designer: that'll be $250,000 please

It always bugs me when I see this comment. The designer doesn't just whip up a logo and get paid. In addition to the process of designing the logo, everything that goes along with it has to be redesigned: Uniforms, signage, digital media, stationery, an extensive "style guide" showing how the logo is to be used for others to follow, the overall style of marketing materials (colours, fonts, aesthetic, etc.) It's an exhaustive back-and-forth process that can take a team of designers months.

It always bugs me when I see this comment. The designer doesn't just whip up a logo and get paid. In addition to the process of designing the logo, everything that goes along with it has to be redesigned: Uniforms, signage, digital media, stationery, an extensive "style guide" showing how the logo is to be used for others to follow, the overall style of marketing materials (colours, fonts, aesthetic, etc.) It's an exhaustive back-and-forth process that can take a team of designers months.

Ha, I wouldn't say it bugs me, but as an art director in Chicago, I approve this post.

Once clients start seeing possibilities and ideas they start tacking on extra rounds of revisions as well which ups the price. Then, not only do they want to see these extra rounds but they also want to stick to the original agreed upon timeline. This also ups the price. Since clients love to get in their own way a large part of the job is doing a fair bit of handholding and trust building throughout the process. You spend a lot of time wrangling them in and keeping them on a straight course so you can actually finish the job before they fuck their budget into oblivion and then blame you for it.

I completely understand why some people would be shocked at the costs for designs like the new Pepsi logo that got billed for ~$1m. At the same time I also completely understand how it crept up that high. If anyone saw the endless amount of sketches, thumbnails, drafts, and options that were left on the cutting room floor before the client even sees anything they'd probably get a better sense of the work that goes into it.

I like the decisions made on the new Blazers logo.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

I take your point, I do get what you're saying. All that stuff needs to be updated and that's not free. Fair enough.

My point was about the logo itself though, and I stand by it. Almost anyone could have played around a bit and come up with that new logo. It looks almost identical.

Top Bottom