• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Beyond Good and Evil 2 footage

Nafai1123 said:
Notice I said "in-engine" and not "in-game"

Semantics...serious business! :p

Right, I meant to say it would be neither "in-engine" nor "real-time." The cases where they take in-game assets and make them into a pre-rendered cutscene wouldn't be "in-engine" unless the game engine is in fact 3D Studio Max :p

Spoo

It looks really good, for a target render (whether that be with in-game assets or not) -- but I don't know if the sense of inertia you get in that teaser can possibly be replicated in the real deal. The camera is haywire and definately disorienting if they expect people to be able to run around and make those kind of jumps -- but who knows, maybe they've hidden the QTE behind it!

I played the first game; didn't beat it, but I liked it. If this comes out and looks as good as that teaser I'm totally down.

jamesinclair said:
Anyway...the video is great but it looks too real, wheres my sci fi, green lit purple world?
24q67w4.jpg

They're there.

StuBurns

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
http://i44.tinypic.com/24q67w4.jpg[IMG]
They're there.[/QUOTE]
Indeed, I have no concerns about the world they'll present. If the game is really like the trailer, I'll be a little disappointed, but I really doubt it is.

I'm sure it could look pretty close to that video on a decent PC rig like mine. At least, I would assume so considering the way Mirror's Edge, The Witcher, Crysis, etc. all look and move.

One of these days I'll finish BG&E. After getting about 10+ hours into the PS2 version, it was taken back by my friend. She and I don't talk anymore, so I had to buy the game off Steam (because I missed the sucker).

Hopefully the playful spirit that bleeds out of the first game is in some way or another kept in the second. The original teaser sort of echoed it, but only subtly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Buttonbasher said:
24q67w4.jpg

They're there.

No proof. It looked like they were on Earth, in India.

In the original trailer, who knows, probably another planet. Why no travel through space this time? Seems likely to me.

bridegur

If the video is even close to what the game will look like, I'm thrilled. Water better play an element in the game however, as the water effects in the first game are still amazing to me.

Ether_Snake said:
No proof. It looked like they were on Earth, in India.

In the original trailer, who knows, probably another planet. Why no travel through space this time? Seems likely to me.
I think you're reading too much into a 60 second clip.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Buttonbasher said:
I think you're reading too much into a 60 second clip.

Eh? This trailer is India, there are Indian flags, the people are Indian, the architecture is Indian, etc.

The first trailer they were definitly elsewhere.

You're reading too much into it:p

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems like the video was from this event: (This is a google translation)

idgo.fr said:
It was at Montpellier that the Japanese artist Yoshitaka Amano, the creator of Final Fantasy characters and Michel Ancel, the creator of french video games (including Rayman), will be present for a conference workshop at the invitation of the training center Goal 3D at the opening of a department dedicated to video game business O3D GAME.

Concept: Allowing a meeting on Thursday the creation of video between Amano (the character designer of the Final Fantasy series, among others) and Michel Ancel, creator of video games french most recognized of the medium (creator, in particular, Rayman)

Happening:
• How to create a universe, a game: Debate between Mr. Amano and Ancel on the concept of 'creative seed'
• Creation of video game scenarios in interaction with proposals from the public
• Designs live Amano: sketch in Indian ink
• Film screenings of animation, video game trailer

Partners of the event:
• Montpellier Agglomeration
• Shibuya International
• Otakool
• 3DVF
• PixLR

A partir de 18h à la Médiathèque Emile Zola.
Source: http://translate.google.com/transla...-conference-creativite-service-jeu-video.html

Thanks, superannuation.

Ramenman

Nirolak said:
It seems like the video was from this event: (This is a google translation)

It's dated April 7th...

If a new trailer for BGE2 had been shown a month ago at a public event, we would have known...

Ether_Snake said:
Eh? This trailer is India, there are Indian flags, the people are Indian, the architecture is Indian, etc.

Ah, so you're saying the trailer takes place in an area of this other planet that has been settled by Indian emigrants ;)

Ether_Snake said:

I meant your implication that we won't be visiting other planets. I could have read it wrong.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Buttonbasher said:
I meant your implication that we won't be visiting other planets. I could have read it wrong.

No I was saying the PJ trailer was probably set on some alien planet, the Jade one is on Earth, and eventually in the game you leave Earth.

Ramenman said:
It's dated April 7th...

If a new trailer for BGE2 had been shown a month ago at a public event, we would have known...

Not really. There was a game trailer, we never heard about it did we? So there.

Ramenman

Ether_Snake said:
Not really. There was a game trailer, we never heard about it did we? So there.

I'm not sure I understand your post.

I meant that if the trailer that's linked to in the OP had been shown a month ago at this event, we would at least have heard "heyyy, new BGE2 footage has been shown at some french event blah blah blah".

I mean, it's the internet. And it's not like the people attending this event were under any kind of embargo.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ramenman said:
I'm not sure I understand your post.

I meant that if the trailer that's linked to in the OP had been shown a month ago at this event, we would at least have heard "heyyy, new BGE2 footage has been shown at some french event blah blah blah".

I mean, it's the internet. And it's not like the people attending this event were under any kind of embargo.

Yes but they did show a "game trailer" and we didn't about it either way, do you really think they would have showed some trailer of an already released game?

ArjanN

Ether_Snake said:

I think it's just an India-inspired world/town. Could still be the same planet.

I'm sure there will be more than one planet though, given how you travelled to the moon in the first game.

• Film screenings of animation, video game trailer

As mentioned already, the cinematic look Ancel wants for BG&E2 (camera system), animation talked about at whatever event Amano and Ancel were at....hmmm. It seems like the team wants to really focus on making the animation as believable as possible. :O

EDIT-What are the chances of this game being shown at E3?

ilikeme

AHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE YOSHITAKA AMANO SO MUCH!!!!

I'll look forward to BG&E2 and start discussing it when they actually show it in substantial form

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I remember a while ago hearing that Amano and Ancel were working together on a game. But that can't be BG&E2. I heard it over a year ago, I forget where.

Amano, Ancel, and Enki Bilal (that was in August 2008)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qozZr7iHSTo/SJzX2bMbgjI/AAAAAAAAAWI/GlruB5SDJY4/s1600/DSCN3875.JPG
DSCN3875.JPG

EDIT: Ah here, April 2008:

http://www.xbox-gamer.net/actualite-xbox360-Beyond-Good---Evil-2-par-Amano--_15602.html

C'est la grande rumeur du moment : Michel Ancel, fort de ses relations avec le milieu artistique vidéoludique du monde entier, ferait rencontre sur rencontre avec le célèbre Yoshitaka Amano (devenu célèbre entre autres avec son travail sur Final Fantasy) dans le but de travailler sur un projet signé Ubisoft Montpellier. De plus, on sait déjà que Beyond Good & Evil 2 est un des projets de la firme depuis quelques temps et que Michel Ancel souhaite s'occuper de sa conception.

It says there are rumors that Michel Ancel and Yoshitaka Amano (who are good friends) are meeting often to prepare work for a game to be made at Ubisoft Montpellier.

So basically, that was a year ago, and BG&E2 was already in development, so it's probably something else.

Ramenman

Ether_Snake said:
Yes but they did show a "game trailer" and we didn't about it either way, do you really think they would have showed some trailer of an already released game?

Already released game maybe not, but a to show a trailer that had already been shown ? Certainly.

It was just an event organized by a school to celebrate their new "gaming industry jobs" courses, so here you go, debate between Ancel and Amano, Amano draws something live, and the Ubidays trailer for BG&E2 is shown again.
They had absolutely no obligation to show anything new.

i'm uploading it to youtube. resolution of the video is higher than the one showed by kotaku, although the quality (bitrate) seems really low.

i'll post it as soon as it's ready.

Meier

Jocchan said:
Probably most of the users complaining haven't played the first game.
Rooftop chase scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7DrxuW7rA
I actually completely forgot about this sequence as it's been what, 5-6 years at least since I played the game... but the comparison is tenuous at best. This new version/trailer has more of an Assassin's Creed/Mirror's Edge feel to it than just a random chase sequence.

Dougald

Well, this thread inspired me to just go ahead and finally buy the first game yesterday (yes, lynch me I never played it..)

Twig

Banned
Meier said:
I actually completely forgot about this sequence as it's been what, 5-6 years at least since I played the game... but the comparison is tenuous at best. This new version/trailer has more of an Assassin's Creed/Mirror's Edge feel to it than just a random chase sequence.
This is true.

However I don't object to the things that happen IN the new trailer. It's the things that DON'T happen.

In the entire rooftop chese scene, Jade has a camera at her waist. There is no camera at her waist, or anywhere else on her person, during the trailer in question.

To be fair, I suppose it could be in that little pouch, though I doubt it. I'm not willing to call anything about the game from this trailer. BUT. No camera action would be very disappointing.

Haunted

Dougald said:
Well, this thread inspired me to just go ahead and finally buy the first game yesterday (yes, lynch me I never played it..)
We won't lynch you since you've acknowledged and swiftly rectified your oversight.

Have fun. :D

Jason's Ultimatum said:
EDIT-What are the chances of this game being shown at E3?

Dunno. They didnt show anything of it last E3. But perhaps more of it has been done for a showing at Ubisofts own Press event. I am hoping they give us a new trailer. Lets say: "2. The Girl."

Vexidus

Dougald said:

You're in for one hell of a treat! Also, the footage looks awesome. I hope photography is an element in this game too, because I loved that aspect of it!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Vexidus said:
You're in for one hell of a treat! Also, the footage looks awesome. I hope photography is an element in this game too, because I loved that aspect of it!

Imagine taking pictures of some nefarious group through the top of a building window, and then having to make your escape after having being discovered, with this trailer being part of that sequence. Investigating/taking snapshots in a "living world" of this graphical quality would be so awesome.

Vexidus

Ether_Snake said:
Imagine taking pictures of some nefarious group through the top of a building window, and then having to make your escape after having being discovered, with this trailer being part of that sequence. Investigating/taking snapshots in a "living world" of this graphical quality would be so awesome.

Not only would animal/mission-related photography be awesome, but imagine being able to use the camera at any time to take beautiful photos of the game world in HD, which could then be uploaded and shared in an amazing gaf thread!

edgefusion

Vexidus said:
Not only would animal/mission-related photography be awesome, but imagine being able to use the camera at any time to take beautiful photos of the game world in HD, which could then be uploaded and shared in an amazing gaf thread!

Just think of the amazing GAF thread!

TheOneGuy said:
This is true.

However I don't object to the things that happen IN the new trailer. It's the things that DON'T happen.

In the entire rooftop chese scene, Jade has a camera at her waist. There is no camera at her waist, or anywhere else on her person, during the trailer in question.

To be fair, I suppose it could be in that little pouch, though I doubt it. I'm not willing to call anything about the game from this trailer. BUT. No camera action would be very disappointing.
Are you sure about that?

Have you forgotten what that "little pouch" is/does?

Ramenman

Meier said:
This new version/trailer has more of an Assassin's Creed/Mirror's Edge feel to it than just a random chase sequence.

It's 6 years after.
Of course after Assassin's Creed and Mirror's Edge, two of the big "chase games" this gen, you'd think they have to update.
What was awesome 6 years ago won't be as much in 2 years (Actually it already isn't it seems, since you're calling it a "random chase sequence" :p).

Twig

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
Are you sure about that?

Have you forgotten what that "little pouch" is/does?
Admittedly, it's been ages. But I always remember an actual camera always visible when I think about the game. Now that i go back and look closer I guess you're right.

):

I guess I just want to see the camera at all times. Wot for I lurved it.

I_D

If it looks even half as good as that (on this generation of consoles) then I'll buy the game based solely on graphics. I don't even really like BG&E (I'm going to burn forever, I know) but I would pay $60 just to see a game like that. It would be amazing to see a game being played with that level of fidelity.

Dougald

Definitely loving the first game, only some minor gripes about the PC version, but they are totally eclipsed by everything else. Best £5 I've spent in a long time :D

Top Bottom