• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Kojima Productions Reveal in Three Days?

Shurs

I downloaded and suffered through the latest Kojima Productions podcast because it said MGS4 DLC next to it on the Kojima Pro website. They only spoke about new modes for Metal Gear Online. This is by far the worst podcast I've ever listened to. Thank God it was only half an hour long. Anyone who complains about the quality of podcasts needs to listen to the Kojima Pro Podcast for perspective. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that they made prisoners at Gitmo listen to this podcast.

Prothero

Neo Member
New Clue: "Kumori"

SOURCE: http://www.split-screen.com/2009/05/18/a-new-detail-in-kojimas-new-project-kumori/

When it rains, it pours. Hideo Kojima, Konami’s legendary designer and director of the Metal Gear Solid series, should know: Any time he announces a new teaser, the down-pour of conspiracies and rumours is overwhelming. First the man threw us off at GDC ‘09, announcing a new Metal Gear Solid amidst a silhouette of what looked to be Raiden in the background. Then he posted a new teaser on his site - a scenic shot of rolling clouds and open grass with the words “Next” in the foreground.

If you head here, go to “Tools” and then “Page Info” in Firefox, you’ll find the following keywords associated with the page: Hideo Kojima, MGS, METAL GEAR, NEXT, game, konami, kojima game, KJP, Kojima Production. Even more interestingly was the media embedded in the page. Those rolling clouds and open fields? They come under a single Shockwave Flash application name: Kumori.

Kumori is Japanese for “Cloudy”. However, more explicitly, it’s also the name of a famous 15th century ninja: Kumori Iga. Check out this description of Kumori Iga and see if you can’t notice any similarity to another world-hopping ninja-like character from the MGS franchise:

“Soon after the outbreak of the war Kumori Iga left Japan for reasons unknown and travelled to China. After spending some time in the Henan Province he continued west following the old silk road. He continued following it until he came to Rome.

“Kumori Iga kept to himself during his travels, making sure his presence when unnoticed. His whereabouts after his arrival in Rome were unknown.”

So what does it all mean? Is this yet another piece in the puzzle alluding to the existence of Raiden in Kojima’s brand new project - one possibly separate from the main Metal Gear Solid lexicon? One thing’s for sure: The inclusion of “kumori” is more than just another expression for Kojima’s appreciation of the weather. We’ll find out on the 18th of May, the big date as advertised in Famitsu, to see what the connection really is between Konami, Kojima and Kumori.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My guess is that:

1- This game is a PS3/360 Raiden MGS game.
2- The game is "tech-driven" instead of "designer-driven" like Kojima has been talking about.
3- Which means that he will try to do what he has been trying to do since MGS2; an open "living" world, with full weather cycle, day and night, dynamic environment, etc.

That's my guess. Could be a damn handheld game for all I know.

Ether_Snake said:
My guess is that:

2- The game is "tech-driven" instead of "designer-driven" like Kojima has been talking about.
3- Which means that he will try to do what he has been trying to do since MGS2; an open "living" world, with full weather cycle, day and night, dynamic environment, etc.

Could even be a Wii game.

Lakitu said:
So we are having the unveiling tomorrow right? Any specific time?
I think it's midnight tonight right?

Lakitu said:
So we are having the unveiling tomorrow right? Any specific time?

Nope, no specific time. It could go up at any moment. I wouldn't get my hopes up for an unveiling though. It could end up teasing another date in the lead up to E3.

SolidSnakex said:
Nope, no specific time. It could go up at any moment. I wouldn't get my hopes up for an unveiling though. It could end up teasing another date in the lead up to E3.
If that were the case, I would be convinced this is his 360 project.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ether_Snake said:
My guess is that:

what did he define these as again?

i guess tech driven would be acheiving a fun game through 1000 enemies, ai, destructible envronments and things like that, and designer driven would be other stuff?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's likely we won't know on the 18th because there are other icons to go through, and so far we are still at the cloud>:|

-COOLIO- said:
what did he define these as again?

i guess tech driven would be acheiving a fun game through 1000 enemies, ai, destructible envronments and things like that, and designer driven would be other stuff?

His presentation was really short and poorly explained, but basically in Western games we tend to develop games around technology/software, while in Japan they tend to develop games around a designer's intentions/visions.

[Nintex]

Ether_Snake said:
His presentation was really short and poorly explained, but basically in Western games we tend to develop games around technology/software, while in Japan they tend to develop games around a designer's intentions/visions.
The whole Mario reference thing at Kojima's keynote, it really didn't make any sense.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
[Nintex] said:
The whole Mario reference thing at Kojima's keynote, it really didn't make any sense.

Well he was saying that what could be done back then isn't as easy to do nowadays because of technical challenges, etc., especially if they don't focus on the technical side.

But yeah, it was poorly explained.

Here is the full keynote for those who want to see it, it is really long:

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/24173 (might only work in IE)

iceatcs

Wii Will Rock U said:
If that were the case, I would be convinced this is his 360 project.
Aye that's why I think it won't tell us platform. If it was 360 project since Microsoft love to be big head and hold it till E3

Zen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
My guess is that:

I wonder how influenced by Asassins Creed Kojima has been (if this game is 1) Tech driven like you describe and 2) Featuring Raiden or a non MGS yet Ninja esque character)

[Nintex]

If it's a new game it's going to be either Wii or multiplatform(Xbox 360/PS3). There's no reason for Kojima not to put this project on both systems, because his fanbase is most likely already on PS3, but he will be able to reach out to other gamers on Xbox 360. If the game is for Wii, it simply won't be possible to put it on any other system(going of the fact that is has been made for MotionPlus). I don't think that Konami would go PS3 or Xbox 360 exclusive, unless they've made some kind of deal and even that's a stretch.

Darkpen

Banned
Shurs said:
I downloaded and suffered through the latest Kojima Productions podcast because it said MGS4 DLC next to it on the Kojima Pro website. They only spoke about new modes for Metal Gear Online. This is by far the worst podcast I've ever listened to. Thank God it was only half an hour long. Anyone who complains about the quality of podcasts needs to listen to the Kojima Pro Podcast for perspective. I wouldn't be shocked to hear that they made prisoners at Gitmo listen to this podcast.
Really?

Really?

You have some absurd high standards for gaming podcasts, my friend. I just went through the entire thing, and I didn't suffer any after effects of waterboarding :/

Ether_Snake said:
My guess is that:

.....:D

*glee*

I can see it now: Raiden animal tracking training missions, living in the wilderness: its MGS3, but as a Ninja! Critics will rave "Act 2 the way it was meant to be." Haters forgiving Kojima in droves, fans frothing at the lips! Players will play in a true living environment, where observation is key, and nothing can stop you but your own keen sense of perception. The stealth genre will be reinvented, and gamers across the world will simultaneously orgasm for the first time ever in:

Tactical Espionage Action: Metal Gear Raiden: Paradise Lost

[Nintex] said:
If it's a new game it's going to be either Wii or multiplatform(Xbox 360/PS3). There's no reason for Kojima not to put this project on both systems, because his fanbase is most likely already on PS3, but he will be able to reach out to other gamers on Xbox 360. If the game is for Wii, it simply won't be possible to put it on any other system(going of the fact that is has been made for MotionPlus). I don't think that Konami would go PS3 or Xbox 360 exclusive, unless they've made some kind of deal and even that's a stretch.

I think that it has a higher chance of being an exclusive than a multiplatform game. I'm expecting the second game he mentioned to be multiplatform though. I think that they'll be a multiplatform developers from then on. Especially if he's serious about modeling that studio after Western developers.

Darkpen

Banned
Forkball said:
Raiden game set in Rome where he fights the guy from Assassin's Creed 2.
I'd be shocked if Assassin's Creed 2 didn't have a hidden Raiden or Snake skin or at least some sort of cameo in the form of a character appearance, easter egg, or weapon.

Darkpen said:
You have some absurd high standards for gaming podcasts, my friend. I just went through the entire thing, and I didn't suffer any after effects of waveboarding :/

This:

11lh0f4.jpg

is not the same as this:

25015qw.jpg

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
360/PS3 "action" game similar to Assassin's Creed set between MGS2 and MGS4 starring Raiden. If he wants to develop with tech in mind, I highly doubt he would choose the wii to work on. Maybe it will get a port of MGS Touch.

Rody

Sword Familiar said:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/swordfamiliar/Snake.png

To the left. He's pointing a gun at us and his bandana is blowing in the wind. :D

I see it. The hell...

Darkpen

Banned
letsbereasonable said:
This:

http://i40.tinypic.com/11lh0f4.jpg

is not the same as this:

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/25015qw.jpg[/QUOTE]
If you do waveboarding upside down, its almost the exact same thing, so I don't see your point :)

Shurs

Darkpen said:
Ah, but what if you were waveboarding upside down against your own will? :p

Then it would be the equivalent of listening to the KojiPro podcast. Ugh, that girl laughed at everything.

Darkpen

Banned
Shurs said:
Then it would be the equivalent of listening to the KojiPro podcast. Ugh, that girl laughed at everything.
Yet, I did not feel the after effects of upside down waterboarding after listening to the podcast, so clearly you are full of crap.

Shurs

Darkpen said:
Yet, I did not feel the after effects of upside down waterboarding after listening to the podcast, so clearly you are full of crap.

Went a little overboard, did I? Still, it was the worst podcast I've listened to, and I've listened to the post purge 1up podcasts.

Darkpen

Banned
Shurs said:
Went a little overboard, did I? Still, it was the worst podcast I've listened to, and I've listened to the post purge 1up podcasts.
Is the 1up podcasts your only point of reference for gaming podcasts? Because while there are worse, you're being incredibly absurd. Try listening to IGN, or better, GiantBomb, and just try to tolerate their food segments.

Shurs

Darkpen said:
Is the 1up podcasts your only point of reference for gaming podcasts? Because while there are worse, you're being incredibly absurd. Try listening to IGN, or better, GiantBomb, and just try to tolerate their food segments.

It just seemed like a pointless podcast. The "personalities" were weak at best, annoying at worst. The music was jarring. I don't know what reason anyone would have to listen to it. I was drawn in by the false promise of Metal Gear Solid 4 DLC.

What do you like about the podcast?

Bernbaum

So has anyone else noticed that the black, scratchy edges of the image have been getting cleaner? If not, check out the teaser site now, and compare it to screen shots earlier in the thread.

(Not sure if people have already picked up on this).

Here's hoping it's cleaned up before lunch time.

Shurs

Bernbaum said:
So has anyone else noticed that the black, scratchy edges of the image have been getting cleaner? If not, check out the teaser site now, and compare it to screen shots earlier in the thread.

(Not sure if people have already picked up on this).

Here's hoping it's cleaned up before lunch time.

Call me crazy but I see what looks like a sketch of a face on the right hand side just above where the black sticks out the most.

Cartman86

Banned
Rody said:
I see it. The hell...

I'm sure others have said this, but It would be so awesome if these things we are seeing were NOT PUT IN THERE. You see this all the time after all. People saw things in the clouds for SSB and those were nothing. Religious folks see Jesus or the Virgin Marry in toast and wood grain. Our brains are hardwired to recognise patterns. Sure these could be put in there on purpose to either trick us or give us some hints, but there is no way of knowing since things like this are fairly common.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Geez guys stop it, we already know the border itself was taken from the Grindhouse website or whatever, so to then think that they added some sort of hidden images in there and all, well, NO.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
and A next Metal Gear is..................

Darkpen

Banned
Shurs said:
It just seemed like a pointless podcast. The "personalities" were weak at best, annoying at worst. The music was jarring. I don't know what reason anyone would have to listen to it. I was drawn in by the false promise of Metal Gear Solid 4 DLC.

What do you like about the podcast?
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Seriously? Seriously? Have you never listened to a game developer podcast? Not only are you ignoring the fact that they have very few English speaking people on-hand to host the podcasts or guest on them whenever they do, but that they have no more professional obligation to do them outside of A) the legacy that Ryan Payton left with originally starting them (and trust me, if you think this was Gitmo-levels of "bad," then you are terribly sheltered) and B) community engagement and to act as an outlet of news directly from Kojima Productions. Not to mention, the DLC "news" actually isn't news at all, and was posted on the Playstation Blog ages days ago.

Shurs

Darkpen said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Seriously? Seriously? Have you never listened to a game developer podcast? Not only are you ignoring the fact that they have very few English speaking people on-hand to host the podcasts or guest on them whenever they do, but that they have no more professional obligation to do them outside of A) the legacy that Ryan Payton left with originally starting them (and trust me, if you think this was Gitmo-levels of "bad," then you are terribly sheltered) and B) community engagement and to act as an outlet of news directly from Kojima Productions. Not to mention, the DLC "news" actually isn't news at all, and was posted on the Playstation Blog ages days ago.

Christ man, are you one of the hosts or something? And damn, I guess I'm "sheltered" when it comes to podcasts.

What do you enjoy about the podcast?

Top Bottom