• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Mafia 4 Trademark Filed By 2K Games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Take-Two Interactive has filed a trademark at the United States Patent Office on August 2, 2019, for “MAFIA” with serial number “88564555.”

The “Word Mark” was filed under Goods and Services: “Entertainment services, namely, providing online games, providing a website featuring computer games and video games, and news, information, tips, hints, contests, computer interface themes, enhancements, audio-visual content, music, films, videos, television programs, animated series, and other multimedia materials in the field of computer games and video games; providing information, news and commentary in the field of computer games and video games.”

Cravis

That’s a relief that they still have faith in the IP. I figured after 3 2K was done with it.

I really enjoyed 3. The setting and soundtrack were expertly crafted. Gameplay was good. I even liked the story. Repetition killed it in the main story. I know they learned their lesson because the missions in the DLC where you go to the small town were varied and fun.

Plus any game where you get to interrupt a KKK cross burning and massacre all the Klansmen can’t be all that bad. Game gets at least a 8/10 just for that alone IMO.

MikonJuice

1 is on my top 10 games of all time
2 is the top "i feel betrayed" of all time
3 was the "comeback to my heart" of all time
4... I'm quite hyped.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Birdo

Banned
Mafia 3 getting a sequel will be as baffling as to how Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs sequels keep getting made when they keep selling like shit.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Mafia 3 getting a sequel will be as baffling as to how Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs sequels keep getting made when they keep selling like shit.
The thing is that Mafia 3 was 2K's most successful release EVER until Borderlands 3. And also, it wasn't a bad videogame, I'd say that it was just an unpolished one, but with a pretty good story, characters, narrative design, gunplay, setting and soundtrack underneath all the glitches and it's repetitive nature.

joe_zazen

The thing is that Mafia 3 was 2K's most successful release EVER until Borderlands 3. And also, it wasn't a bad videogame, I'd say that it was just an unpolished one, but with a pretty good story, characters, narrative design, gunplay, setting and soundtrack underneath all the glitches and it's repetitive nature.

Better than NBA? That is impressive.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Did you forget the last game in the series? Where they decided to diversify it by replacing the Italian gangster with a black guy who goes around killing a bunch of white people?

The game was bad but it was allright let them try something new. Now lets get back to 'talians

Geki-D

Banned
I liked 2, but never got around to playing 3. Is it worth hopping into?
Imo not really. Story is good and the characters are decent but it's a glitchy, repetitive slog with bad gameplay. It's a shame such a good world was hung up on such a bad game.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
It'd be interesting to see them maybe take on the 70's or preferably(imho) the 80's in the next installment. And for as much as I wasn't so keen on 3 initially I eventually enjoyed it quite a bit. Recently bought it again on the cheap for my X. Can't wait to go searching for the Playboy mags and stuff again too. Maybe it'll be announced during the VGAs?

brap

Banned
Imagine getting so butthurt about a black character killing literal KKK members that you ask for a "tit for tat" sequel where you want a white man killing black people. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Imagine being so butthurt about somebody suggesting more diversity in enemies.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Loved Mafia III. Excellent story, characters, voice acting and soundtrack. Gameplay was good, not great and visuals were underwhelming except for the facial animations which were real good. My biggest negative about the game was it being open world. It just doesn't fit, no fast travel and all the side content was meh. I wouldn't mind wide-linear levels but story mission after story mission for Mafia IV. That would be so much better.

EDMIX

when they keep selling like shit.

ummmmm you sure? Those games still move millions of units, as to why they are getting releases still.

So when a game moves almost 5 million units in 1 week, I guess the should pack their bags and close up the studio and put the IP to rest? Are you completely sure? Cause....by that logic MOST games releasing shouldn't have sequels, MOST games are not moving 5 mill in a week... It should be shocking to no one that Mafia 4 is happening. They would have to be on meth for it not to happen tbh.

Did you forget the last game in the series? Where they decided to diversify it by replacing the Italian gangster with a black guy who goes around killing a bunch of white people?

Pretty sure you can kill many races and genders in the series and clearly with 3, they are showing the series doesn't need ties to JUST the Italian mob. I'm 100% ok with that. It means they can make entries about the Russian mafia, Mexican Mafia etc. So I don't see it as a replacement as those ideas were never really set in stone as the game wasn't called ITALIAN MAFIA etc

Probably gonna be about the Russian mafia.

I'm ok with that if true, its why I'm fine with the shift as it allows for more freedom and explore so many different situations. I'm fine with where ever the series goes tbh.

Birdo

Banned
ummmmm you sure? Those games still move millions of units, as to why they are getting releases still.

They go straight to bargain bins, though. Can't be that profitable.

At least here in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen a Wolfenstein game being sold at full price past launch week :messenger_grinning_smiling: .

EDMIX

They go straight to bargain bins, though. Can't be that profitable.

At least here in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen a Wolfenstein game being sold at full price past launch week :messenger_grinning_smiling: .

Ok...but "here in the UK" is not the world, you are only speaking about where you live at in the UK...... The game still moved millions of units as to why you see those sequels. I see Call Of Duty in the bargain bins at Wal Mart too all the time in the States.. piff can't be that "profitable" right? Keep in mind ,you see MANY series on sales weeks after release like Assassins Creed and those move MILLIONS of units. I mean...my friend, Red Dead 2 was on sale mere WEEKS following its release.

So being discounted, on sale, bargain bin what have you doesn't really mean something sold poorly, in many respects it means it sold enough units to even have a flood of them coming back used as a game must be BOUGHT first new to be then USED later, its why you see so many copies of Star Wars Battlefront at Walmart or Gamestop, well when it move 15 million units breaking every record for a star wars title.....you will have lots of units in the wild to see in bargain bins in the first place. Doesn't mean the game didn't sell or wasn't profitable etc.

Last edited:

Dada55000

lol Mafia 3 was a gigantic repetitive superficial piece of crap, and nothing like a Mafia game, it felt like a sequel to EA's Godfather videogames instead of Mafia 1&2

Mafia games are about low level criminals in an organisation doing day to day busywork in a very linear narrative with a lot of distinct scenarios, no shitty open world bloat, with reasonably realistic car handling, police and driving, Mafia 3 is about one man army John 'Nam taking over da city burrough by burrough, acquiring property via murder doing the same boring shit over and over to get revenge on the guineas, and the first trailer had the guy hit a car and it blow up and do 3 flips in the air while on fire like a fucking Fast&Furious movie, which they tried to backtrack with a flimsy alt car handling setting after people complained

they even lied about it being about exploring a different "organisation", mafia doesn't mean just Italians (even if they're the only ones people tend to refer to when they say Mafia) m'kaaaaaaaaaay, oh wait Clay's crime family gets wiped and after that it's videogame man doing everything himself with his band of misfit allies giving him missions for revengeance

this thing used to be propped up as great on this site because of political panty moistening (usually with a variant of "blackmun kill KKK?%! EPUC/10" dumbfuck phrase) before the exodus, when as a game it's mediocre at best and dull as fuck, and as Mafia game, it's a downright pile of flaming dogshit
logged into the wrong forum Ree, old habits I get it, passive aggressive pissbaby speak doesn't get you backpats here, it just makes you look like a roomtemp stereotype

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Weird that I just started a third run today of M3 in hopes to finally platinum. Only two trophies left.

One of the most impressive period piece licensed soundtracks ever standing right alongside the greats like San Andreas. Opening up with Hendrix’s “All Along The Watchtower” was the first time in a LONG time my mouth dropped at a title screen. To get permission to use a Jimi song like that mustve cost them an arm and a leg.

If only they had closed with “Voodoo Child” playing. Hearing that creaky riff come in as Donovan goes off on the board would’ve been fucking amazing. It would’ve been incredibly fitting.

I’ve always joked that the reason M3 never included fast travel is because how much that soundtrack cost them.

“You’re going to drive around this city, you’re going to soak in the atmosphere and goddammit you’re going to love hearing Sam Cooke.”

Great fucking game. Great writing. Great acting. Great shooting. One of the most underrated of the gen and my favorite game of 2016.

The later additions, improvements and DLC were all good too. Bullet time, GTAV slo mo driving, hunting the cult members, venturing out to the rural Louisiana farmland to take out the Klan. It was really good stuff.

Super satisfying gunplay. Weighty and sounded awesome, like the ping of the clip popping out of your M1 Garand. Very similar to Days Gone, which coincidentally had the same UI designer.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned

Lincolns half black for one. It’s never set in stone if his father was white or Italian.

The race of the killings doesn’t even matter even considering the context and setting of the story. You’re a clearly unstable war veteran. You mow down everyone. Though I don’t think many Asians populated New Orleans in the late 60s

Last edited:

pr0cs

Loved all three titles thus far though like most people I'll agree that Mafia 1 was one of the best games ever, both technically and story wise.
2 was ok but somewhat forgettable and 3 had a great story marred by repetitive gameplay. (still love the soundtrack)
I'd love to see them do a mafia set in Russia

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Mafia 4 synopsis:

Your protagonist is a bearded, checked-shirt wearing barista working in San Francisco who is seeking revenge on those who murdered his wife’s boyfriend.

Experience the amazing open world where you can get around by catching the horrible transit system and hunt for all the hidden poo collectibles.

Go to a cafe and order a latte to make sure your soy meter never gets too low. Protect illegal immigrants from law enforcement and organise protests to boost your NPC ranking.

Click like and subscribe to get the latest deets on this Italian-less game we decided to call Mafia for some reason.

Can the next one be about killing communists/antifa types? And racist/violent blacks?

d33.jpg

Denton

Mafia 1 is a masterpiece and one of the best games ever (check out Kingdom Come by its developers).

Mafia 2 is..not quite as good, but still great. It suffered from protracted development and lot of content being cut. Still, very atmospheric and beautiful game.

Mafia 3 is flawed, but if you enjoy the core mechanics (stealth/shooting/driving) which I do (because they are amazing) then the repetitiveness isn't so bad - particularly when DLCs are included (each is completely unique).
And the game is still a looker on a good hardware. I love the 60s atmosphere and writing is stellar.

360430_20190823001101e3kzu.png

360430_20190823000736hok3b.png

360430_20190823000949hokzq.png

Last edited:

Twinblade

So when a game moves almost 5 million units in 1 week, I guess the should pack their bags and close up the studio and put the IP to rest? Are you completely sure? Cause....by that logic MOST games releasing shouldn't have sequels, MOST games are not moving 5 mill in a week... It should be shocking to no one that Mafia 4 is happening. They would have to be on meth for it not to happen tbh.

Pretty sure you can kill many races and genders in the series and clearly with 3, they are showing the series doesn't need ties to JUST the Italian mob. I'm 100% ok with that. It means they can make entries about the Russian mafia, Mexican Mafia etc. So I don't see it as a replacement as those ideas were never really set in stone as the game wasn't called ITALIAN MAFIA etc

I'm ok with that if true, its why I'm fine with the shift as it allows for more freedom and explore so many different situations. I'm fine with where ever the series goes tbh.

I just hope they go back to early 1900's.

Top Bottom