• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible new Duke Nukem game in the works?

If one ever does happen, I hope that whoever is in charge understands what made 3D great and looks to something like Doom or Wolfenstein TNO as inspiration for updating a classic series.

Yeah, I played Duke 3D on my Vita a year or two back, and it's mostly aged really well. I'd like to see a new instalment with lessons learned from that game.

kulapik

Oh I'm sure it will go well

VfBL958.png

Khaz

Gearbox software only finished and published Duke Nukem Forever because they were contractually obliged to when they got the Duke Nukem license. Their goal was always to make a Duke Nukem game, but they had to get Forever out of the way first.

Santar

I hope this turns out to be a new Duke game and not that rumored hastily cobbled together Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition that was taken down from Steam a while back.

Just please don't do the same thing. Make Duke a has-been and have the game be about him becoming relevant again. That or just anything other than the usual 90s badass and pop culture references.

boinx

I really really hope they infuse duke with some <current year> advanced gender politics, good manners, open world level design and tone down the violence.

I mean we can trust gearbox to do good by us right? They haven't let us down so far.

If it is that cancelled Duke remake thing that was made by third party getting published now I'd be happy.

DNF was a complete waste of time imo. DN3D is still million times better.

NZerker12

If they handle it like DOOM i'm all for it. Actually they should completely copy DOOM. DOOM with a Duke skin is all they should do.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
They need to look at Eastbound and Down for inspiration for a new Duke Nukem. Duke needs to be the joke rather than be in on the joke.

This is very important. Duke was insufferable in Forever. He was kind of a likeable lunkhead in 3D.

m360

"2016 Balls of Steel, LLC. Published and distributed by Gearbox Publishing. Duke Nukem, Hail to the King, Gearbox and the Gearbox Software and Duke Nukem logos are registered trademarks, and Gearbox Publishing is a trademark, all used courtesy of Gearbox Software, LLC"

What is Balls of Steel LLC?

Also, the countdown should just preemptively set to 10 years.

Could be the "new" Gearbox Studio in Quebec.

Levyne

Banned
I have no idea how you make Duke work nowadays. You'd have to Johnny Bravo him to some extent I think. I wouldn't want to be in charge of figuring that out.

Honestly, I think a new Duke Nukem installment could work. I mean come on, y'all are celebrating this new DOOM game over here and yet you ain&#8217;t got room in your heart for one more good Duke Nukem?

That being said....I wouldn't want it developed by Gearbox.

Kasper

I think a new Duke game could be good, I just doubt that Gearbox are the right developers to bring him back.

Balls of Steel is also the name of the Pinball table from the 90's..
Yes! And a great one at that. Play it to this day (via the Apogee collection on Steam; I think it is listed on GoG, too). I would gladly welcome a Duke pinball game.

I would welcome ANY new Duke game with open arms. I enjoyed my time with Forever. To heck with the naysayers trying to bury the Duke of Nukem!

Yes! And a great one at that. Play it to this day (via the Apogee collection on Steam; I think it is listed on GoG, too).

It was, but it got delisted with all other Duke Nukem games on all digital distribution platforms. GOG had a great farewell sale back then, and I'm happy I bought that game - it's very solid.

PSqueak

Banned
No can kill streaks, or perks. But good fundamentals. Gunplay come from character, not tired stereotype and abstract idea like bullet time.

latest

Sensible chuckle.gif

Anyways, how do you modernize duke nukem? the character is kinda obsolete, who could possibly write him just with the enough amount of self awareness that it doesn't come off as too strawman-ish but also that no one can mistake his misogynism as genuine?

Bring back the original Duke Nukem 3D to GOG. Gearbox. And I don't mean Duke 3D with a new source engine port. I mean the original DOS game.

I think a new Duke game could be good, I just doubt that Gearbox are the right developers to bring him back.

I am catiously optimistic.

After all, what made Duke Nukem Forever a failure was 95% George Broussard's fault.

Gearbox only packed it together and sold it.

And lied about many features it didnt have

They need to write Duke like your one Dad's friend who still thinks it's the 80s and thinks he's the coolest shit cause he still wears a Members Only jacket and blasts Def Leppard out of his Camero.

Mr. Tibbs

It has gotta be the new episode/source port or whatever they were working on for Duke 3D. Jon St. John was recording new lines earlier this year.
tumblr_o6e1w0rXMI1u8zqvfo1_1280.png

Best case scenario, its that, and a reveal of a new THIRD PARTY Duke game. My personal preference: more interactivity, fantastic level design, and creative weaponry. Focus less on Duke. The easiest, most played out approaches would be to play up the outdatedness or how obnoxious he is. Do neither, and instead attempt to replicate what made people love Duke 3D in the first place.

PSqueak

Banned
They need to write Duke like your one Dad's friend who still thinks it's the 80s and thinks he's the coolest shit cause he still wears a Members Only jacket and blasts Def Leppard out of his Camera.

This combined to how other characters reacted to Sgt. Cortez in Time Splitters: Future Perfect could be a good way.

Duke should be Badass and Capable in combat, but dumb and full of machismo in anything else with everyone around him showing absolute no respect for him and him being unaware that he's coming off as lame.

Top Bottom