• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible new Duke Nukem game in the works?

Moff

so it's world tour or a second game as well?

I love the duke but I don't know if I can ignore that pitchford is one of the most unlikeable persons in the gaming industry, so it would have to be really good to make me buy it.

G-Fex

Not that I give a fuck about Duke Nukem at all.

But i'm genuinely curious to know what gaffers think is so 'relevant' and 'hip and cool' these days in games.

Hanmik

so reveal in a week...

Qj1O3Ty.png

20th. anniversary... hmmmm

Intel_89

The last one was awful, Wolfenstein and Doom proved that you can turn an old school shooter into something modern and great.

There's potential for a funny 'man out of time' shooter with Duke Nukem but the first step towards that is conceding that he's not a relevant character anymore. I fear that would be the stumbling block.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm all for a new badass shooter that's a throwback to the old style. But for me Duke the character needs an overhaul. He's an old guy still stuck spouting juvenile lines, while his fanbase has outgrown that.

"2016 Balls of Steel, LLC. Published and distributed by Gearbox Publishing. Duke Nukem, Hail to the King, Gearbox and the Gearbox Software and Duke Nukem logos are registered trademarks, and Gearbox Publishing is a trademark, all used courtesy of Gearbox Software, LLC"

What is Balls of Steel LLC?

Also, the countdown should just preemptively set to 10 years.

Balls of Steel is Gearbox's Limited Liability shell corporation that handles the Duke Nukem Licence, much like IPerion handles Borderlands.

These are my suggestions for the new Duke Nukem game.

One, Duke Nukem needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Duke's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Duke"?

ultrazilla

Gearbox have removed the megaton edition from steam...going for that cashgrab.

This was talked about previously as Gearbox got into a beef with one of the modders whose work was in the megaton edition. They wanted to re-negotiate his royalties and he basically told them to get bent, so Gearbox pulled the game and is replacing his work.

That's a rough cover of why it was pulled.

Moving on......Let's hope they allow or release themselves the Duke Nukem 3D-Reloaded game. It was basically made by the people who now own a majority state of 3drealms(I love that the company is still around).

81b639ea52c0833303187f3048445f877971280b7d1b1e88c460a208325a0bf4.jpg

epic.jpg

f318567f016cc7bec6eee7a7156dfb96004918126f7477379662243a74717cfa.jpg

Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded was basically a HD remake of Duke Nukem 3D but with added levels and some new stuff mixed in with the classic levels and bosses and at the time was using Unreal Engine 3. The screenshots still look great and those that saw the game in motion were apparently blown away.

The story/lore goes that Gearbox loved it more than Duke Nukem Forever but with the obvious big investment they put into the IP to get DNF finished, told the fan project basically "yeah, you can develop and finish the game but we get ultimate say whether you can actually release the game" and well...Gearbox told them no. It's been sitting somewhere, pretty much a full game ready to go.

I miss Duke. My only complaints with DNF was that it was almost too sexual. Dial that back. Give us the Duke who loves and saves our chicks and kicks in alien scumbag's heads and I'm happy.

Always bet on Duke. Always.

I think Duke himself has the potential to be a PERFECT video game character for 2016. The ultimate satire of the meat headed straight white guy. It would just take some good writing to pull it off, and I don't think Gearbox have those kind of chops.
That would be implying Gearbox has any writing chops.

ultrazilla

If one ever does happen, I hope that whoever is in charge understands what made 3D great and looks to something like Doom or Wolfenstein TNO as inspiration for updating a classic series.

My candidates for a Duke Nukem game should Gearbox farm out the I.P.(which is rumored to have taken place with a new game in development somewhere)

My picks would be People Can Fly(Bulletstorm aka Duke Nukem with a hangover), MachineGames-(Wolfenstein the New Order) or Flying Wild Hog-Reboot of Shadow Warrior and soon to be released amazing looking Shadow Warrior 2)

I hope that it will be compatible with eduke32 (and the Polymer renderer) and the High Resolution Pack. After using those mods, I can't go back to regular 2.5D Duke with sprite-based enemies.

http://eduke32.com/

http://hrp.duke4.net/index.php

e1l1_01.jpg

Oh god, I actually contributed a lot of textures to this pack back in the day when this project started on the 3D Realms forums. I can still see a lot of them used in this screenshot.

This was talked about previously as Gearbox got into a beef with one of the modders whose work was in the megaton edition. They wanted to re-negotiate his royalties and he basically told them to get bent, so Gearbox pulled the game and is replacing his work.

It was Richard "Terminx" Gobeille, who is responsible for creating the EDuke32 port. He was also getting royalties for his work on the Megaton Edition port. Gearbox brought him on their project because he understood the Build Engine and Duke Nukem 3D source code better than they ever could. But they went and cut ties with him, pushing him out of the project. The guy used the royalties that he made from Megaton Edition to deal with his medical bills because he suffers from Lupus, he also used it to support his wife and kid.

There was a whole thread about this from a few months ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1212855

I'm trying to figure out where Duke's character went wrong. Who thought that he should just spurt out memes and pop culture references.

I mean, yes his original quotes were part of pop culture in a way, but he didn't say them just to say them. Stuff like "blow it out your ass" and "Eat shit and die" make more sense than him running around saying "Pork chop sandwiches", "got milk?" and "Bazinga"

That would be like Duke originally saying shit like "Not the momma!" Or "How ruuuude". It wouldn't make any fucking sense to the context of what is happening in the game.

They really need to revamp him. This meme spouting bullshit needs to stop.

Drencrom

Moving on......Let's hope they allow or release themselves the Duke Nukem 3D-Reloaded game. It was basically made by the people who now own a majority state of 3drealms(I love that the company is still around).

http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/8/1/b/6/3/9/81b639ea52c0833303187f3048445f877971280b7d1b1e88c460a208325a0bf4.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://legacy.duke4.net/images/newspost_images/epic.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/f/3/1/8/5/6/f318567f016cc7bec6eee7a7156dfb96004918126f7477379662243a74717cfa.jpg[IMG]

[B][B][U]Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded was basically a[B] HD remake [/B]of Duke Nukem 3D but with added levels and some new stuff mixed in with the classic levels and bosses and at the time was using Unreal Engine 3[/U][/B][/B]. The screenshots still look great and those that saw the game in motion were apparently blown away.

The story/lore goes that Gearbox loved it more than Duke Nukem Forever but with the obvious big investment they put into the IP to get DNF finished, told the fan project basically "yeah, you can develop and finish the game but we get ultimate say whether you can actually release the game" and well...Gearbox told them no. It's been sitting somewhere, pretty much a full game ready to go.

I miss Duke. My only complaints with DNF was that it was almost too sexual. Dial that back. Give us the Duke who loves and saves our chicks and kicks in alien scumbag's heads and I'm happy.

[B][B][I]Always bet on Duke. Always. [/I][/B][/B][/QUOTE]

If only, still pissed Gearbox didn't let them release it...

Mr. Tibbs

It looks like some of the former level designers (likely Blum because he's on site, and in my dreams Levelord) might be working on the episode. Lee Jackson's been Tweeting about some new tracks he's been working on. So World Tour could be 3DR reunion of sorts! The one person who viewed the beta said the maps are clearly the best part of what new content there is, and that they believe Gearbox is genuinely showing a deep desire to improve relations with the community. I hope it's as good as it sounds!
https://twitter.com/leejacksonaudio/status/703756070108266496
https://twitter.com/leejacksonaudio/status/714568502816948224
https://twitter.com/leejacksonaudio/status/720741337125916673

It looks like some of the former level designers (likely Blum because he's on site, and in my dreams Levelord) might be working on the episode. Lee Jackson's been Tweeting about some new tracks he's been working on. So World Tour could be 3DR reunion of sorts! The one person who viewed the beta said the maps are clearly the best part of what new content there is, and that they believe Gearbox is genuinely showing a deep desire to improve relations with the community. I hope it's as good as it sounds!

As hands down, the biggest Duke Nukem fan ever, I can say that I'm extremely happy with the direction they appear to be going.

Making a new episode for a 20 year old game isn't going to make anyone that isn't interested suddenly go out and buy it, but for the people like me that still play Duke 3d every single day it means more than I can put into words.

I was going to pick up a single copy of the newest re-release whenever it comes out back when I thought it was just going to be the return of the Megaton Edition, but after hearing about the new content I'm going to pick up a copy for every person on my Steam friends list so it's looking more like 40+ copies but idgaf considering this is literally a dream come true. If you were to ask me what I want out of gaming more than anything else, I'd tell you more content for Duke 3d so I'm as happy about this as anyone possibly can be :D If it's not clear enough how much I love this franchise, I would be willing to give up VR for the rest of my life if I had to choose between new VR content and new Duke 3d content. Duke 3d means to me what Dino Crisis means to Jawmuncher :p

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
As hands down, the biggest Duke Nukem fan ever, I can say that I'm extremely happy with the direction they appear to be going.

Making a new episode for a 20 year old game isn't going to make anyone that isn't interested suddenly go out and buy it, but for the people like me that still play Duke 3d every single day it means more than I can put into words.

I was going to pick up a single copy of the newest re-release whenever it comes out back when I thought it was just going to be the return of the Megaton Edition, but after hearing about the new content I'm going to pick up a copy for every person on my Steam friends list so it's looking more like 40+ copies but idgaf considering this is literally a dream come true. If you were to ask me what I want out of gaming more than anything else, I'd tell you more content for Duke 3d so I'm as happy about this as anyone possibly can be :D If it's not clear enough how much I love this franchise, I would be willing to give up VR for the rest of my life if I had to choose between new VR content and new Duke 3d content. Duke 3d means to me what Dino Crisis means to Jawmuncher :p

You're good people. You get Duke. And you get Duke!

epic.jpg

Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded was basically a HD remake of Duke Nukem 3D but with added levels and some new stuff mixed in with the classic levels and bosses and at the time was using Unreal Engine 3. The screenshots still look great and those that saw the game in motion were apparently blown away.

God I fucking hope this is what we get.

I feel like John Romero started this trend when he began making new levels for the original Doom. Then a few months ago for Quakes 20th anniversary, Machine Games made a whole new episode for the original Quake, which was totally awesome. The new 3D Realms is also making a brand new Bombshell prequel that is using the original Build Engine... or at least a modified version of it. Now Gearbox is pulling out some of the old Duke 3D level designers and Lee Jackson, for a new Duke Nukem 3D episode.

I really want to see Blood get a engine overhaul next. Atari really needs to make this happen with Jace Hall.

ultrazilla

Glad to see the Duke Nukem love. The ORIGINAL alien ass-kicking, bad ass, cigar chomping hero who loves Earth and our chicks! :)

I'm also happy that Gearbox *appears* to be making heart felt repairs to the Duke game/fan community as well.

Duke Nukem is a great IP and in the right hands(I'm convinced Gearbox *CAN* do him proper as there is still quite a bit of original 3drealms talent there) the games can be epic.

I might even install Duke Nukem Forever again on my PC and install Sweet FX.

What really bums me about Duke Nukem Forever is that the multiplayer was freaking really, really well done and FUN.

Oh well, here's to Duke and hopefully a full re-reveal/re-introduction to him in a week or so!

ku-xlarge.jpg

Creaking

I wish machine games was making a new Duke.

If they could nail the gameplay and level design, that'd be great. I don't know how well that (traditional Duke 3d gameplay and level design) would jibe with their narrative stylings though.

Rembrandt

Banned

epic.jpg

that'll be dope if that's what they release but i have zero faith in gearbox. they're the weirdest, most inconsistent developer with a sizeable reputation.

Spoo

Sounding more and more like Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour will be the announcement. Remix / Remaster of Duke 3D, potentially with a new episode.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/26112/20160829/screenshot-leak-duke-nukem-3d-world-tour-babes-guns-aliens-pigs.htm

Definitely will get whatever they put out, but I'm secretly hoping for some, *any* news on where they plan to take the IP next. No doubt they didn't acquire it just for DNF and D3D, but maybe this release will indicate to them, depending on its success, who still cares about the property.

Icefire1424

Definitely will get whatever they put out, but I'm secretly hoping for some, *any* news on where they plan to take the IP next. No doubt they didn't acquire it just for DNF and D3D, but maybe this release will indicate to them, depending on its success, who still cares about the property.

I'm absolutely with you on this one. I want to see more Duke. I just want to see it done right.

Sounding more and more like Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour will be the announcement. Remix / Remaster of Duke 3D, potentially with a new episode.

http://www.itechpost.com/articles/26112/20160829/screenshot-leak-duke-nukem-3d-world-tour-babes-guns-aliens-pigs.htm

I'm absolutely with you on this one. I want to see more Duke. I just want to see it done right.
+1. Very excited for the (likely) DN3D World Tour but hoping there will be an announcement/tease of upcoming Duke projects. I just subscribed to The Duke Nukem Newsletter!

Creaking

There's a good modern Duke Nukem game and it's called Bulletstorm.
Shooting people and kicking ass!

Can you even jump in Bulletstorm? Right out of the gate that hurts the comparison. Much of the level design in Duke 3D is very vertically-inclined.

SMG

If there is any series I would love to work on it would be Duke. So much room for little giggles.

On the options screen.
Goes to click Microtransaction, Duke speaks one of many lines.
"Don't let the game play you."
"Too easy"
"You already lost."
"Save your money for the new Episode."
"Are you really disappointed?"
"Just through your wallet down a storm drain instead."

Forever was shit but that was under a very different system then a new game would come from. So long as the explore-loop-expand-explore more map design comes back it will be worth it.

There's a good modern Duke Nukem game and it's called Bulletstorm.
Shooting people and kicking ass!

BS was OK but like a few other games the scoring system seemed to be there since they couldn't make the game an actual engaging challenge.

I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever enough that I played it through 3 times. I'm interested in what they have to announce, but I don't trust Gearbox any more.

If there is any series I would love to work on it would be Duke. So much room for little giggles.

On the options screen.
Goes to click Microtransaction, Duke speaks one of many lines.
"Don't let the game play you."
"Too easy"
"You already lost."
"Save your money for the new Episode."
"Are you really disappointed?"
"Just through your wallet down a storm drain instead."

Forever was shit but that was under a very different system then a new game would come from. So long as the explore-loop-expand-explore more map design comes back it will be worth it.

True, but it won't be a AAA-game, because that would involve focus groups and so on. I'm all in for a new cheap old-school Duke 3D type game. I even take the same graphics, just make huge new levels with fun interactions and like you said: making fun of modern games and culture in general.
Release this on all platforms for a cheap price and it would probably sell a million on Steam alone, seeing what games like Postal is selling.

Top Bottom