• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible new Duke Nukem game in the works?

Nobody likes a bigot, unless he's crying.

BOO HOO!

I hope Jim Strerling is watching this. I'm sure he would be loving every moment of this!

Mr. Tibbs

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3115...nniversary-edition-with-eight-new-levels.html

The remaster will include the usual graphical bells and whistles—better resolution, better textures, and the ability to toggle back and forth between the original graphics and the new. But World Tour will also include a pack of eight brand-new levels, appropriately dubbed “Hail to the King, Baby!”

Created by Duke 3D veterans Allen Blum III and Richard Gray, the levels feature “new one-liners” voiced by the Duke himself, Jon St. John. How they convinced him to return post-Duke Nukem Forever I have no idea, but he’s back. Hopefully these eight levels constitute a better “sequel,” per se.

Trailer here: http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/2/12741168/duke-nukem-3d-20th-anniversary-edition-world-tour

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I really hope the one-liners don't suck. I'll bet it'll sound jarring next to the rest of his 3D lines regardless though.

Creaking

No thanks. Shadow Warrior (and Shadow Warrior 2 later this year) already fills the void for me.

Shadow Warrior is very little like it's original build-engine conception, and thus not very Duke like either. It's it's own thing now. Not a terrible thing, but definitely lacking in level design.

I really hope the one-liners don't suck. I'll bet it'll sound jarring next to the rest of his 3D lines regardless though.
Apparently they had Jon St. John re-record ALL of the Duke talk for the re-release. Those old VOC files sound like crap compared to modern game audio, so that's no surprise.

My fear is that they'll have remastered all the Duke one-liners but left all the other sound effects alone. Now *that* would be jarring.

Duke3D was one of my favorite games of my teenage years so undoubtedly I'll buy this, Gearbox's rep not withstanding.

gabbo

This is not Duke Nukem Fivever, and not a hint of "Grab bag" in the trailer.
Gearbox doesn't know anything about this guy do they?
Though levellord is a nice touch

This is not Duke Nukem Fivever, and not a hint of "Grab bag" in the trailer.
Gearbox doesn't know anything about this guy do they?
Though levellord is a nice touch

In all fairness, Randy Pitchford started out as a level designer on Duke Nukem 3D and has designed three levels for the forth episode. He was also one of the level designers on the original Shadow Warrior. He even worked on Duke Nukem Forever very early in that game's development, before leaving and creating Gearbox. Quite a few old 3D Realms employees reside at GearBox or jumped ship at some point in their lives over to them.

As much as I don't like Randy Pitchford as of late, he and many of his former and current employees has had ties with the old 3D Realms. So they kind of are one of the better AAA (more like AA) developers to handle the franchise. But General Arcade who ported Megaton Edition were made up of modders from the 3D Realms forums.

Creaking

Apparently they had Jon St. John re-record ALL of the Duke talk for the re-release. Those old VOC files sound like crap compared to modern game audio, so that's no surprise.

My fear is that they'll have remastered all the Duke one-liners but left all the other sound effects alone. Now *that* would be jarring.

Duke3D was one of my favorite games of my teenage years so undoubtedly I'll buy this, Gearbox's rep not withstanding.

Yeah, looking at the trailer again, I realize that those are new recordings. Doesn't sound too different from the original stuff, which is good. I thought the Duke voice got too goofy and self-aware after 3D.

There's something charming about those low-fi original recordings though. Hopefully they'll remain in the game as an option, like the game's original graphics are.

Yeah, looking at the trailer again, I realize that those are new recordings. Doesn't sound too different from the original stuff, which is good. I thought the Duke voice got too goofy and self-aware after 3D.

There's something charming about those low-fi original recordings though. Hopefully they'll remain in the game as an option, like the game's original graphics are.

If Gearbox really knows what's up, they would contact Clint Basinger and get him to record his own version's of the lines for an alternate voice pack. I mean, Jon St. John is still the one and only real Duke, and you make a good point that the re-recorded lines sound really good up next to the originals. But if you are going to make this for the fans, it would be awesome to get Clint from LGR to record some audio. Probably never going to happen though in reality...

PaulloDEC

IGN has some new gameplay footage in their enthusiastic preview. There's an embargo on sharing impressions of the Amsterdam level. We'll hear more later in September.

Hollywood Holocaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASYRgHcNXVo

KAZb.jpg

Yup.

Creaking

IGN has some new gameplay footage in their enthusiastic preview. There's an embargo on sharing impressions of the Amsterdam level. We'll hear more later in September.

Hollywood Holocaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASYRgHcNXVo

Doesn't even know how to engage the mighty foot. For shame IGN.

Going off of that recording, some of the lines are pretty close to the originals, but others are kinda missfires. Like the grunts and eventual "where is it?" he makes when mashing against walls.

Original

New

Old Duke sounds like he's just moaning to himself. The new one sounds like he's actually expecting an answer from someone. And the grunts sound pained.

Maybe I'm alone here though.

gabbo

In all fairness, Randy Pitchford started out as a level designer on Duke Nukem 3D and has designed three levels for the forth episode. He was also one of the level designers on the original Shadow Warrior. He even worked on Duke Nukem Forever very early in that game's development, before leaving and creating Gearbox. Quite a few old 3D Realms employees reside at GearBox or jumped ship at some point in their lives over to them.

As much as I don't like Randy Pitchford as of late, he and many of his former and current employees has had ties with the old 3D Realms. So they kind of are one of the better AAA (more like AA) developers to handle the franchise. But General Arcade who ported Megaton Edition were made up of modders from the 3D Realms forums.

I'm aware, but that doesn't mean they know how to make a Duke game work, or how to market him now. Not that 3D Realms does either. Pitchford's attempts with him so far have been underwhelming (and I liked DNF).

I'm aware, but that doesn't mean they know how to make a Duke game work, or how to market him now. Not that 3D Realms does either. Pitchford's attempts with him so far have been underwhelming (and I liked DNF).

I am not going to put my trust into Pitchford, but Duke Nukem Forever was really just stitched together from what was completed by 3D Realms. There were also 3D Realms employees that continued to work on the game after 3DR closed. Personally, I don;t think that Gearbox ha enough influence on that game out of the marketing to really get the character right or wrong. Personally I don;t think he has done enough for me to make that judgement. But I also don't like how he took down all of the Duke 3D games up for sale, including 1,2, Manhattan Project and so forth.

This new Duke 3D port looks OK. Jon St. John's voice is still pretty close to his original, though I do notice a few weird things like the slower "where is it" nd "Hmm... no time to play with myself". Though my one issue with the video posted is that the gamma is way to bright. This is actually an issue in many older Duke 3D source ports. The patched version of the Megaton Edition did fix the gamma to make it darker like the original game and EDuke 32 has proper gamma too. But in the 5 minute IGN video that was posted above, some images that should be pitch black are now visible to the player. The new lighting also look a bit too scattered and out of place. EDuke 32 did that better too.

I also hope that they keep the GRP format intact and not mess with it. It would be nice to pull the GRP files out of this port and place them into other Duke3D engines.

Mr. Tibbs

man randy can be such a dick sometimes.

One of the worst things Gearbox ever did isn't particularly well known. Back in 2012, Andrew Baker, a developer at Triptych Games, former 3D Realms' developers who worked on DNF for months for free and made a couple of Borderlands 2 DLC, lost his job for making this innocuous comment about said DLC on Shacknews:

"Well, hey, look what I've been working on for the last year or so."

Yep, you read that right. That's all he said. Classy move, Gearbox! Someone just honestly talking about when work on DLC started, rather than "we only started after cert," bullshit. What makes it especially awful is that that back at Gearbox's PAX 2010 panel, Randy Pitchford made a big deal about how much their work and sacrifice meant to him and the company: "I’m going to read their names right now because there are so many unsung heroes and these are the guys… it’s their game. Andrew Baker…”

The aftermath:
PakEBxM.png

Creaking

One of the worst things Gearbox ever did isn't particularly well known. Back in 2012, Andrew Baker, a developer at Triptych Games, former 3D Realms' developers who worked on DNF for months for free and made a couple of Borderlands 2 DLC, lost his job for making this innocuous comment about said DLC on Shacknews:

Yep, you read that right. That's all he said. Classy move, Gearbox! Someone just honestly talking about when work on DLC started, rather than "we only started after cert," bullshit. What makes it especially awful is that that back at Gearbox's PAX 2010 panel, Randy Pitchford made a big deal about how much their work and sacrifice meant to him and the company: "I’m going to read their names right now because there are so many unsung heroes and these are the guys… it’s their game. Andrew Baker…”

The aftermath:
PakEBxM.png

That's awful. I wish I had a game development company just so I could hire this man. It seems like he had his head on straight in a sea of corporate delusion.

OldMuffin

No one likes a Randy unless he is crying (apologies to those out there whose name is Randy, except of course the one and only pathological liar, Randy Pitchford)

Mr. Tibbs

Gearbox posted a preview of Alan Blum (the only guy to stay with Duke since it's inception, including all of DNF's development) and Levelord's maps.

“Moscow is my favorite level because I live here now,” said Gray. “For quite a long time, I said things like – ‘Someday I will find a beautiful woman and move to Russia…’ nobody took me seriously! In fact, if you look closely and in the right direction at the skybox, you can see where I live. I planted many personal messages such as the names of stores and restaurants of my family and friends here. I even had the artists replicate my brother-in-law’s storefronts on one street.”

Top Bottom