• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible PS5 leak info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I suspect RAM set-up will be similar to PS4 Pro, with likely 16gb for system/application uses and probably 2gb of slower ram for sleep cache-ing. APU side I'd think they'd stick with the pattern of more cores at lower clocks, as opposed to fewer cores at higher rates, although obviously its dependent upon what the AMD roadmap offers.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Actually October 30th to twizzle, this is pretty accurate some stuff doesn’t match exactly but it’s close enough to not be bullshit.

Reading the thread from yesterday after I left work and saw this post. This guy is killing me. Is there a way you can DM your info to a mod and they just create a new thread of something?

STI

I've seen this video way before it was posted here, Madz stuff comes through my recommendations, he and a few others like Foxy UK, have been going about the leak/rumormil machine for a slight minute, but I don't think we will ever get a leak of the PS5 in this fashion, it's too detailed, it's too clean.....It's a spec list which makes sense to put together based on what we know about AMD's roadmap so far, but it's way too conservative.....

The big Sony logo on the mockup, looks a bit suspect, I was laughing too, because it reminds me of old Sony audio decks and receivers from the 90's....The system also looks like the non-slim PS4 too, just with a few modifications. Like the PS2 throwback at the bottom and what with some of the HDMi ports at the front......

Spec-wise, 16Gb is not enough, TF count is not enough, CPU is not enough.......There's no way a next gen Sony system only has 4 more gigs than an XBONEX...A PS5 won't have a 6 core 12 thread CPU, at minimum it will have a 8 core 16 thread CPU or 16 full cores without HT.....With Rome supporting 8 cores per Chiplet, there's no way PS5 only has a 1600x caliber CPU, especially at 7nm......16Gb of RAM is not enough, 2Gb for the OS, in what world? If anything, I forsee 24-32Gb or ram and perhaps a seperate pool of 4-8Gb of LDDR5 for the OS..... GPU will be in the 18-24TF range or even more if we get a non-monolythic GPU setup, or with an Infinity Fabric GPU setup....

The rest are cool guesses, like Wireless AX, BC etc... They're safe guesses.....The VR stuff, I think the spec will be higher than (1440p 120Hz per eye), of course the wireless VR BOX for PSVR2 is what everybody wants and I'm sure they will be working on that, but I don't think such a technology will be as cheap/affordable in 2020 or even 2022......I can see 4k 120fps per eye with wires in late 2021 or 2022 though.......and I definitely believe 8k will be a thing for indies and AA games, even some more ambitious games....4k 120hz games will also be a thing...

I think people will see how conservative they've been about PS5 specs when AMD speaks of Vega 7nm/Navi/Ryzen 2 at CES.......Seeing that there will still be another CES before PS5 arrives, perhaps announcing Zen 3 with 7nm++ and even more powerful or matured GPU's......My guess is monolythic GPU's at CES 2019 and Multi GPU's at CES 2020....
you are talking about specs that PC can't even achieve under $2K

McHuj

So is my understanding correct that there are two rumors in this thread. One from this video and one from Osiris?

thereallastword

Neo Member
I've seen this video way before it was posted here, Madz stuff comes through my recommendations, he and a few others like Foxy UK, have been going about the leak/rumormil machine for a slight minute, but I don't think we will ever get a leak of the PS5 in this fashion, it's too detailed, it's too clean.....It's a spec list which makes sense to put together based on what we know about AMD's roadmap so far, but it's way too conservative.....

The big Sony logo on the mockup, looks a bit suspect, I was laughing too, because it reminds me of old Sony audio decks and receivers from the 90's....The system also looks like the non-slim PS4 too, just with a few modifications. Like the PS2 throwback at the bottom and what with some of the HDMi ports at the front......

Spec-wise, 16Gb is not enough, TF count is not enough, CPU is not enough.......There's no way a next gen Sony system only has 4 more gigs than an XBONEX...A PS5 won't have a 6 core 12 thread CPU, at minimum it will have a 8 core 16 thread CPU or 16 full cores without HT.....With Rome supporting 8 cores per Chiplet, there's no way PS5 only has a 1600x caliber CPU, especially at 7nm......16Gb of RAM is not enough, 2Gb for the OS, in what world? If anything, I forsee 24-32Gb or ram and perhaps a seperate pool of 4-8Gb of LDDR5 for the OS..... GPU will be in the 18-24TF range or even more if we get a non-monolythic GPU setup, or with an Infinity Fabric GPU setup....

The rest are cool guesses, like Wireless AX, BC etc... They're safe guesses.....The VR stuff, I think the spec will be higher than (1440p 120Hz per eye), of course the wireless VR BOX for PSVR2 is what everybody wants and I'm sure they will be working on that, but I don't think such a technology will be as cheap/affordable in 2020 or even 2022......I can see 4k 120fps per eye with wires in late 2021 or 2022 though.......and I definitely believe 8k will be a thing for indies and AA games, even some more ambitious games....4k 120hz games will also be a thing...

I think people will see how conservative they've been about PS5 specs when AMD speaks of Vega 7nm/Navi/Ryzen 2 at CES.......Seeing that there will still be another CES before PS5 arrives, perhaps announcing Zen 3 with 7nm++ and even more powerful or matured GPU's......My guess is monolythic GPU's at CES 2019 and Multi GPU's at CES 2020....

Holy crap. Set down your Mtn Dew and Red Bull. The fantasy in this post feels like I'm reading a Penthouse Forum article.

Oh, and that mock up was fake af.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So is my understanding correct that there are two rumors in this thread. One from this video and one from Osiris?

The video I posted seems to be fairly close in specs to other places I have heard.

Osiris seems to have more concrete info and he even suggested in this thread the video was also close in some aspects but he is supposed to post more when more info leaks as not to burn his source.

McHuj

The video I posted seems to be fairly close in specs to other places I have heard.

Osiris seems to have more concrete info and he even suggested in this thread the video was also close in some aspects but he is supposed to post more when more info leaks as not to burn his source.

Thanks, but I am not familiar with the channel. Has it broken anything in the past or has any credibility?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thanks, but I am not familiar with the channel. Has it broken anything in the past or has any credibility?

Honestly I don't know anything about this channel either.

I had seen this video in about 2 or 3 other threads on a few forums so wanted to bring all the talk to one thread.

I would honestly trust Osiris info more but who knows when he will actually get the go ahead and post it.

THE:MILKMAN

For all we know this leak could be another attempt by the same person that emailed game journalists back in April with "project Epsilon".

onQ123

Yes & from what I gather they are both in range with each other but neither will be 100% accurate because things change all the time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
yikes why not just release a ps4 pro iteration then?

Are you reading too into what I said with your emotions you have in here?

I think you are. ;)

Hint: sarcasm with a slight bit of truth (as in, don't over expect delusional tech hopes that would make for an $800 console)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
First off, the legal trademark and distribution warnings are so fake, secondly when I saw a "corporate slide" refer to Tokyo Game Show as "TGS " I lol'd.

Ar¢tos

I really don't get what people unsatisfied with 11tf want, unless they have zero knowledge of how tech works and that things cost money.

Whilst I expect a UHD drive for PS5 for the storage, I'm not counting on it being UHD movie capable like Xbox. UHD was said to be in the Pro and it didn't happen.
Sony didn't use UHD because they were releasing their stand alone UHD bluray player and didn't want the Ps4 Pro to cannibalise the sales of the player. It wasn't related to money since Sony makes their own drives and the cost difference would be tiny. For PS5 this won't be a problem, since the player is already out and being a new hardware, they will want all excuses to sell it.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
This mock-up runs circles around that PS5 and while at it... my own awesome MS Paint PS5 logo.

DCeHj3CXUAEPyfN.jpg:large

DFGXcR5WsAACNny.jpg:large

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I really don't get what people unsatisfied with 11tf want, unless they have zero knowledge of how tech works and that things cost money.

My head spins when I read 11TF as a BASELINE (1.31 is the current baseline for contrast)... as "half assing it" for a $400 price point. Especially ignoring the CPU and memory bandwidth with be even more major in the upgraded department.

SonGoku

Are you reading too into what I said with your emotions you have in here?

I think you are. ;)

Hint: sarcasm with a slight bit of truth (as in, don't over expect delusional tech hopes that would make for an $800 console)
oh lol nvm then, this is me lately
I just dont think its unreasonable to expect 3x the ram of consoles released 2013 in 2020 (almost a decade later), or double the GPU perfomance of X. If they cant release this at reasonable prices then wait until you can

Because at 7nm the chip will be more conservative (read: smaller) than either the Pro or X were at launch
That's half assing and for a proper next gen machine extremely underwhelming

Especially ignoring the CPU and memory bandwidth with be even more major in the upgraded department.
Only 2x the ram after near a decade (4gb more than x) is half assing
6 cores instead of 8 is half assed, considering zen core size not to mention the core reserved for OS

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
6 cores instead of 8 is half assed, considering zen core size not to mention the core reserved for OS

Bandwidth will have more of an impact than overall ram pool size. I doubt it will be 6 cores as well, due to BC, etc.. 8 single threaded cores minimum.

I am betting on GDDR5x or GDDR6 minimum, and that will afford upwards of 800+GB/s feeding the much faster CPU.

sendit

oh lol nvm then, this is me lately
I just dont think its unreasonable to expect 3x the ram of consoles released 2013 in 2020 (almost a decade later), or double the GPU perfomance of X. If they cant release this at reasonable prices then wait until you can

Because at 7nm the chip will be more conservative (read: smaller) than either the Pro or X were at launch

Remind me what problem more ram solves? Next gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony are targeting 4K. Anything more than 16 GB on machine dedicated just to playing games at 4K is overkill (you could even argue that 16 GB is overkill). I'd rather them put the budget towards a better processor/gpu combo. For my PC, I have 32 GB for system memory and 11 GB on my GPU. Games don't even come close to touching 11 GB.

Last edited:

SonGoku

Bandwidth will have more of an impact than overall ram pool size. I doubt it will be 6 cores as well, due to BC, etc.. 8 single threaded cores minimum.

I am betting on GDDR5x or GDDR6 minimum, and that will afford upwards of 800+GB/s feeding the much faster CPU.
Yes bandwidth its just as important as pool size which makes Osiris gddr5 leak all the more worrying
Should be gddr6, even gddrx would be undercutting it

I just think that for next gen games running at 4k (or near 4k resolutions) 16gb ram will be limiting the scope and asset quality, effects will have to run at lower rez as well.
2x the ram of ps4 (2013) is nothing, i don't get why are we supposed to be exited about that

THE:MILKMAN

Sony didn't use UHD because they were releasing their stand alone UHD bluray player and didn't want the Ps4 Pro to cannibalise the sales of the player. It wasn't related to money since Sony makes their own drives and the cost difference would be tiny. For PS5 this won't be a problem, since the player is already out and being a new hardware, they will want all excuses to sell it.

I'm really not sure about that. Sony, IMO, have stepped back from pushing the likes of a new physical format like with previous gens. They're more purely gaming focused now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes bandwidth its just as important as pool size which makes Osiris gddr5 leak all the more worrying
Should be gddr6, even gddrx would be undercutting it

I just think that for next gen games running at 4k (or near 4k resolutions) 16gb ram will be limiting the scope and asset quality, effects will have to run at lower rez as well.
2x the ram of ps4 (2013) is nothing, i don't get why are we supposed to be exited about that

GDDR5x is now producing the same speeds as GDDR6 currently, at a much cheaper cost. He may have mistyped or did not put an 'X' there.

It is not limiting, at all. Asset swapping on the fly techniques due to faster ram is a much more affordable solution.

SonGoku

Remind me what problem more ram solves? Next gen consoles from Microsoft and Sony are targeting 4K. Anything more than 16 GB on machine dedicated just to playing games at 4K is overkill (you could even argue that 16 GB is overkill). I'd rather them put the budget towards a better processor/gpu combo. For my PC, I have 32 GB for system memory and 11 GB on my GPU. Games don't even come close to touching 11 GB.
Remind me again why we needed more than 2gb this gen when high end nvdia cards in 2013 only had 2gb
You are thinking of the requirements to run current gen games in 4k
For a proper next gen leap ram is needed
It is not limiting, at all. Asset swapping on the fly techniques due to faster ram is a much more affordable solution.
Thats only a bandaid for current gen games, when talking next gen there's a paradigm shift in scope and new effects and assets that will take more space. Switching LODs will only take you so far

GDDR5x is now producing the same speeds as GDDR6 currently, at a much cheaper cost.
wasnt gddr6 supposed to be cheaper, more power efficient and offer higher density chips? all of which its needed in a console

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thats only a bandaid for current gen games, when talking next gen there's a paradigm shift in scope and new effects and assets that will take more space. Switching LODs will only take you so far

On the fly asset swapping has been happening in almost all games, it is part of LOD scaling. I am not talking about the patent for PS4 > PS5 games.

If this thing pumps out 3x the memory bandwidth as some are guessing, that is far more beneficial than just slapping on more RAM. RAM is expensive, so you need a healthy balance. You want more, you need to use a cheaper lower speed product. I would take the former over the latter any day. Especially since it is not hurting the PC gaming scene with 4K anytime soon.

sendit

Remind me again why we needed more than 2gb this gen when high end nvdia cards in 2013 only had 2gb
You are thinking of the requirements to run current gen games in 4k
For a proper next gen leap ram is needed

Let me remind you, the fastest gaming grade GPU on the market right now is the RTX 2080 TI with only 11 GB of GDDR6. This is priced at $999. Going by this rumor, if the PS5 was released late next year, do you honestly think it would outclass the RTX 2080 TI? Have some perspective. This isn't the PS1-PS2 era anymore.

mckmas8808

Banned

What's the bandwidth of the PS4 Poor console?

Jayjayhd34

Do some of you realise that this likely to priced at £350? Your not getting 24gb of ram at that price let alone 32gb that some are suggesting.

Last edited:

AJ Gaming

Neo Member
Not sure I am going for it since I got a PC (1080Ti) and a Xbox One X. I have own at least 3 or 4 PS4 before (me and my kids) and I also had a Pro.
I am kinda used to Xbox interface and I like it

mckmas8808

Banned
Do some of you realise that this likely to priced at £350? Your not getting 24gb of ram at that price let alone 32gb that some are suggesting. Some people really need lower exceptions.

Some people (I'm included in this) do want Sony to wait to Holiday 2020 to release the PS5 though. That way pricing a next-gen monster could be possible. 2019 will always sorta suck in some small way for me.

Dabaus

Banned
Looks legit and intentionally leaked. I wonder if they got late word that MS was going to reveal Xbone2 at x18 and decided to not let them have the next-gen conversation exclusively revolve around Xbone2 or whatever it's gonna be called.

As much as I would like for these slides to be real, and as much as I think your theory would make sense...if that were the case why wouldn't sony give this information to more "official" channels rather than some random youtube video?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As much as I would like for these slides to be real, and as much as I think your theory would make sense...if that were the case why wouldn't sony give this information to more "official" channels rather than some random youtube video?

That would qualify as a reveal this being a "leak" Sony doesn't have to say a word.

Lets not forget how fake the PS4 NEO slides looked and how close they actually were.

Ar¢tos

8 Zen2 cores at 7nm will be about the same size as the ps4 jaguar at 16nm.
If you want 15-16tf, buy a gaming pc because you are not getting it on a console releasing in 2019-2020.

Last edited:

McHuj

GDDR5x is now producing the same speeds as GDDR6 currently, at a much cheaper cost. He may have mistyped or did not put an 'X' there.

I don't think GDDR5x will be used. Right now only Micron seems to be producing GDDR5x. Neither Samsung nor SK Hynix have GDDR5x parts listed (they already do list GDDR6). GDDR6 will replaces both GDDR5 and 5x in the long term so the economies of scale will favor GDDR6.

GDDR6 on a 256-bit bus would could provide a decent 448 to 576 GB/sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom