• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Resident Evil VIII Information

Eiknarf

Banned
I perfectly understand your pov, many didn't like First person at all, but it helped a lot in creating an awesome experience, even more in vr
I'd like a RE7 style 8th chapter with third person tho, but the atmosphere definitely has to remain similar
Can’t RE8 have both? Can’t some sections or chapters be played in First Person and others in Third Person?

Wait!!! Why can’t they make it like most racing games where we click a button on the fly and it goes back and forth from First Person to Third Person? Can’t they do that?

Can’t RE8 have both? Can’t some sections or chapters be played in First Person and others in Third Person?

Wait!!! Why can’t they make it like most racing games where we click a button on the fly and it goes back and forth from First Person to Third Person? Can’t they do that?
Realistically it's because the main appeal of first person is VR support, and the movement speed needs to be slow for VR to work without causing motion sickness. If you switch to a third person perspective, that slow movement speed will feel painfully slow, whereas it doesnt feel that bad in first person, even without VR.

Last edited:
That is what they do for some time already.

RE7-9 first person view.
REMake 2-3 (spin offs?) third person view.

RE10-12 will change again... let’s see how it will be.
I don't recall Capcom saying Resident Evil 8 and 9 would also be first-person. Resident Evil 8 could easily go back to third-person given the success of Resident Evil 2 remake. They aren't obligated to stick to first-person for the next couple mainline entries.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't recall Capcom saying Resident Evil 8 and 9 would also be first-person. Resident Evil 8 could easily go back to third-person given the success of Resident Evil 2 remake. They aren't obligated to stick to first-person for the next couple mainline entries.
From what I know Capcom said each 3 games they change the formula.
1-3
4-6
7-9

BTW due the immense REVII success they could continue with first-person view.

1-3
4-6
7-9

Can you answer when did they specifically say they will change the camera every three games? Resident Evil 6 sold below their expectations which is the more likely reason for them to make changes with 7.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Can you answer when did they specifically say they will change the camera every three games? Resident Evil 6 sold below their expectations which is the more likely reason for them to make changes with 7.
At 5:10 in this video:

It's not stated that RE7-9 will all play the same or be in first person, but Peter Fabino seems to hint at that possibility. During the Q & A at the end, someone specifically asks with 7-9 will play similar to each other, but there isn't a definitive plan to do so as of then.

Last edited:
At 5:10 in this video:

It's not stated that RE7-9 will all play the same or be in first person, but Peter Fabino seems to hint at that possibility. During the Q & A at the end, someone specifically asks with 7-9 will play similar to each other, but there isn't a definitive plan to do so as of then.

Fair enough. I thought maybe I missed an article or something where they already planned what Resident Evil 7 through 9 would be like.

Having both would be paradise

SleepDoctor

Banned
What made it different (besides the FPP)? Was is less puzzle oriented ?

It just didn't feel like a resident evil game. Shit i can't remember if there were even any zombies in the game.

Still enjoyed it but just felt like it had nothing to do with RE.

That is what they do for some time already.

RE7-9 first person view.
REMake 2-3 (spin offs?) third person view.

RE10-12 will change again... let’s see how it will be.

I think to say RE10 will change again is inserting a pattern where there isn't necessarily one. There were five mainline games in the classic style (Zero, 1, 2, 3, CV (X)). Then there were three mainline games with Over-The-Shoulder style, but really I would classify this as two eras - the Third Person OTS Classic Era (4, 5), and the singular Third Person OTS Motion game (6). I differentiate these because Resident Evil 5 plays MUCH closer to Resident Evil 4 with it's limiting of movement while aiming and the very similar mechanics in the weapon upgrades and chapter system. Resident Evil 6 is its own beast, without a single other title in the entire franchise playing anywhere near it. Then we got the next mainline entry, Resident Evil 7, which ushered in the First Person mode for the series.

To think that Capcom is going "1, 2, 3, stop and switch our style" is acting like Capcom is making this as a conscious decision, whereas the changes are due to feedback from fans, as well as critical and commercial reception. It's entirely possible that we see up to Resident Evil 12 in a first person mode.

kiphalfton

1-3
4-6
7-9

There isn't enough data to go off of, to make that correlation. It could just be coincidence. I say that because the spinoffs invalidate your logic.

EDMIX

Yea we need some receipts on that bud. 3 games....soooo you didn't know Resident Evil Code Veronica, Outbreak 1 and 2, Resident Evil 2002 remake and Zero existed? My god buddy, that is waaaaaaaay more then 3 games... To be nice, I even left out a few... RE7 doesn't even really change the formula, you simply see it in a different perspective in first person. So believe it or not, playing Fallout or Elder Scrolls in 3rd person or first person doesn't mean the team made 2 fucking games. So the perspective is minor and not that massive of a deal to argue its a different "formula" as if seeing their backsides was a "formula" or something. The RE formula is more so what you actually do. Limited ammo, saves, puzzles, limited health, finding weapons instead of buying them etc. Doing that in first person or 3rd person imho is irrelevant to that subject no different then if someone likes playing Fallout in first person vs third. That doesn't mean they are playing a different game.... that doesn't mean they are playing a different "formula"

C Chromium.Wings tbh, don't be surprised if you can just switch it in the options in future RE titles..... RE7 basically is a old school RE simply in first person. Being in First person didn't change that it was still a RE rooted in the old school gameplay concepts of limited everything and return to puzzles and 2 maps. So if Evil Within 2 can have 2 modes with 2 perspectives and Fallout and Elder Scrolls can too, don't be surprised if you see that from them in RE8

Last edited:
C Chromium.Wings tbh, don't be surprised if you can just switch it in the options in future RE titles..... RE7 basically is a old school RE simply in first person. Being in First person didn't change that it was still a RE rooted in the old school gameplay concepts of limited everything and return to puzzles and 2 maps. So if Evil Within 2 can have 2 modes with 2 perspectives and Fallout and Elder Scrolls can too, don't be surprised if you see that from them in RE8

Yes, RE7 is basically old-school RE reskinned and put up in a pretty, photorealistic First Person Perspective, I didn't argue against that. That's actually one of the reasons why I enjoyed the game as much as I did. I was able to experience a very familiar formula in a radically new setting.

As for the multiple perspectives, I'm not so certain about that. I haven't tried out The Evil Within 2 in first person yet, but I will say that games such as Fallout, Elder Scrolls, even GTAV and Red Dead 2 have the option to play third person or first person, and in every single one of those titles one of those gameplay modes is significantly worse than the others. Playing Fallout or Elder Scrolls in anything other than first person feels far more janky than the already janky first person, and vice versa for Rockstar's games. So while it is entirely possible that Resident Evil may have camera styles that can change, I don't think it'd be that great of an idea. This may just be because of my personal preferences and biases, but I definitely notice that perspective isn't so easily swapped in most games to provide experiences that are consistent. Resident Evil 7 was designed around a First Person Perspective, and I think if you were to try and play through it with an OTS Perspective the game would play significantly differently.

Think of Resident Evil 5's Lost in Nightmares DLC. There's an easter egg that allows you to play the game in the classic fixed camera style for a small portion of the DLC. Without a doubt, that is a fun novelty when there's no enemies around, but the second an enemy would come into play that would become much more difficult to find a consistent experience with the OTS Perspective. In games that are meant to be as curated as an experience as Resident Evil is (the aformentioned titles - Fallout, Elder Scrolls, even The Evil Within 2 to an extent - all have open worlds which are by their nature less of a curated experience), a perspective option just doesn't seem like the best choice.

Eiknarf

Banned
Yes, RE7 is basically old-school RE reskinned and put up in a pretty, photorealistic First Person Perspective, I didn't argue against that. That's actually one of the reasons why I enjoyed the game as much as I did. I was able to experience a very familiar formula in a radically new setting.

As for the multiple perspectives, I'm not so certain about that. I haven't tried out The Evil Within 2 in first person yet, but I will say that games such as Fallout, Elder Scrolls, even GTAV and Red Dead 2 have the option to play third person or first person, and in every single one of those titles one of those gameplay modes is significantly worse than the others. Playing Fallout or Elder Scrolls in anything other than first person feels far more janky than the already janky first person, and vice versa for Rockstar's games. So while it is entirely possible that Resident Evil may have camera styles that can change, I don't think it'd be that great of an idea. This may just be because of my personal preferences and biases, but I definitely notice that perspective isn't so easily swapped in most games to provide experiences that are consistent. Resident Evil 7 was designed around a First Person Perspective, and I think if you were to try and play through it with an OTS Perspective the game would play significantly differently.

Think of Resident Evil 5's Lost in Nightmares DLC. There's an easter egg that allows you to play the game in the classic fixed camera style for a small portion of the DLC. Without a doubt, that is a fun novelty when there's no enemies around, but the second an enemy would come into play that would become much more difficult to find a consistent experience with the OTS Perspective. In games that are meant to be as curated as an experience as Resident Evil is (the aformentioned titles - Fallout, Elder Scrolls, even The Evil Within 2 to an extent - all have open worlds which are by their nature less of a curated experience), a perspective option just doesn't seem like the best choice.
Wait
I have The Evil Within 2 for the PS4.
I didn’t know I could play in first person mode!.
I’m not home to check, but, how do I switch? I’d like to try it that way

SuperGooey

Hmm. Interesting.

A medieval-style castle with knight enemies isn't too far off from what we saw in RE4. Honestly, that's the perfect setting for an environment full of traps and puzzles. I'm curious about it being more action-heavy. I was hoping for more slow-paced puzzle solving, ala the Baker Estate or the Spencer Mansion, but it would have to be more action-based if Chris is the protag again.

BTW, I think these rumors are all bullshit, but it gives us something to discuss while we wait for RE3 and eventually the long wait till RE8.

Silent Duck

huh why didn't I know Ethan had a face..

LS7NOqe.jpg
#Not my Ethan. I always pictured Ethan as this...
28exXj1.jpg

Neff

There are more games in the Resident Evil series using RE4's OTS perspective than any other- nine, soon to be ten. There are only three first person RE games, four if Dead Aim counts.

It'd be nice if 8 stayed with first person imo.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Don't fall for this shit. This is all BS.

First of all, this joke of a website is running this story based off of an unverified email.

Second, they mentioned Evil VR as a way to possibly back up this random email they got.

4K6L1TL.png

bu0Cu3P.jpg

Don't give shitty clickbait websites like this hits.

Damn this didn't age well

I guess Nibel and these guys were all pretty spot on

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hey someone bring an important RE8 leaks in this thread

Post in thread 'New Year Hype check: Returnal, Deathloop, the Medium, Ratchet & Clank, Hitman 3, Kena, Balan and more - which game is getting your money in Q1?' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/new-...tting-your-money-in-q1.1585210/post-261840544

I dont know to save the vid or how to bring it here so i just bring the thread

Anyone understand Japanese can you translate it for the rest of us

Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom