• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Sonic reboot in 2014, would be open world

JonCha

About a week before the bomb dropped at Sega Sammy about Sega’s poor financial shape, we learned from a source who spoke to TSSZ on condition of anonymity of possibly serious changes the company may have in store for its flagship franchise. Again, that’s “may”…not “will.”

The source alleged that both Sonic Team and Sega are looking to better monetize Sonic well beyond the merchandise arrangements already in place, as part of what was said to be a potentially “massive” and “total” reboot that is allegedly still in the exploratory phase. We’ve bolded that last part to remind you that nothing we’re saying here is set in stone, and that it may be a least a year or two before any of this may pan out. While we have been told Sega and Sonic Team are “committed” to the reboot, to what extent that stretches is still being pitched. While several ideas are being floated around, what we’re about to explain is the alleged current frontrunner.

We’re told the core tenets of speed, platforming, and surreal environments will remain–as will Sonic and Dr. Eggman and the rivalry they share, though both characters may undergo a makeover. But as part of this possible reboot, anything and everything else is under review, says the source. That includes, at its core, the main supporting Sonic cast, even Tails, our source says. And while the idea of surreal environments would remain, a whole new universe for Sonic to do battle and new characters for him to befriend may be concocted, in effect destroying most canon that precedes the relaunch and wiping the slate nearly clean, according to our source. All the meanwhile, new gameplay methods and gimmicks are allegedly being fleshed out for Sonic to try.

Specifically, our source alleged the concept of “zones” may be revamped. In this possible reboot, zones would be massively expanded and become their own worlds, sort of speak. Within the zones, there would be individual levels masked as missions for Sonic to complete. The source most closely compared it to Electronic Arts’s Burnout Paradise, which is open-world and lacks a concrete, linear level structure. All of this would be enclosed in a new engine. Our source compared its next-gen capability to the likes of Unreal Engine 4, currently in development for the next crop of consoles, and Frostbite 2, used with EA’s Battlefield 3.

If this sounds like Sonic intends to take a turn back toward the serious and photorealistic, not to worry–our source assured that will not be the case, and injecting photo-realism is of no concern in this potential reboot. To be sure, Sonic Team head Takashi Iizuka has said as much in recent interviews.

But there’s a catch, and it lies in that monetizing part. The source tells TSSZ that Sega and Sonic Team may aggressively pursue a collection model as part of the reboot. The source claimed the company intends to target the young audience bent on physical collectibles by perhaps going so far as to require physical emblems and collectibles to unlock special features in future Sonic series. An example would be to purchase a Knuckles statue in order to gain the echidna as a playable character in-game. The strategy could also be used to unlock extra levels.

If that sounds far-fetched, it’s not. In fact, it’s already been executed successfully. Our sourced pointed to Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure as a major source of Sega’s inspiration for this model. Released last year, Skylanders featured more than 30 playable characters, but only came with three out of the box as physical figurines, as did an interactive peripheral. Remaining characters had to be purchased in stores. When a character’s toy connects to the peripheral, which in turn connects to the console, that character unlocks in-game. Skylanders performed pretty well in its multiplatform debut, well enough that a sequel under the same model is planned for release later this year. With Sega’s recent commitment to expand its Sonic merchandise and the partners who make them, the backbone may already be there to support this kind of a strategy.

What’s more, Sega and Sonic Team have already tried this method out–albeit on a much smaller scale–and you may not quite realize it. If you remember the secret statue room in Sonic Generations, it was always Sega’s intent to release codes for that room through various promotions and merchandise. That in fact happened on a very limited basis in some territories despite fans mining the game and releasing all the codes online. If our source’s information holds, this strategy would be an extension of that.

Other possible revenue models our source discussed was for these physical toys and collectibles to have an interactive component with a new cartoon series, or to offer classic characters in-game straight up as DLC. But ultimately, Sega is looking to attract a new generation of fans, the source said. That would certainly explain why classic Sonic was touted as a one-time deal for Sonic Generations, but this information also indicates that modern Sonic, as we know him, is at risk as well.

To again be clear–we’re told this is all very early and exploratory. We’ve labeled this story as rumor for that reason. We are, in some respects, just as skeptical of some of the above as you may be, but we do at least want to tell you what we’ve learned. It’s not unreasonable to expect little else related to this for a least a year to eighteen months. Of course, for any of this to pan out, Sega as a company still has to exist by 2014. Keep in mind we learned of it just a few days before the full scope of Sega’s financial troubles was known, and there certainly are a few components above that may become necessities for Sega to survive as a business. Anything more we learn will be passed along.

Source: TSSZ

A "new standard of Sonic?" Sounds terrible.

Why?

What was wrong with Sonic Chronicles? It was one of the best Sonic games ever even if it was just relying on nostalgia for the most part.

I meant Sonic Generations. Wops.

: |

Why?

What was wrong with Sonic Chronicles? It was one of the best Sonic games ever even if it was just relying on nostalgia for the most part.
The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

Balb

These new ideas aren't inherently bad. New Sonic games don't have to follow the same formula as the Genesis games like a lot of fans think. 3D Mario games don't resemble 2D Mario games that much (other than 3D Land) but they're still awesome. The issue is that Sonic Team is incompetent and can't execute on their ideas.

Tookay

If it was open-world like what was promised in this concept art, then I'd be okay...

VxeNZ.jpg

Of course Sega would screw it up.

Gravijah

These new ideas aren't inherently bad. New Sonic games don't have to follow the same formula as the Genesis games like a lot of fans think. 3D Mario games don't resemble 2D Mario games that much (other than 3D Land) but they're still awesome. The issue is that Sonic Team is incompetent and can't execute on their ideas.

i don't want classic games, i just want a sequel to sonic colors & the 3d sections of generations.

For it was open-world like this, then I'd be okay...

http://i.imgur.com/VxeNZ.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

look at all that nothingness you can run through!

Seik

Banned
Didn't Sonic Generations sold well?

I mean, if yes, didn't they kind of got a fucking message? Aren't companies working with numbers? If it sold well its not for nothing, WHY A REBOOT?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
i don't want classic games, i just want a sequel to sonic colors & the 3d sections of generations.

Yup they are getting close to perfection after unleashed > colors > generations. A few things could be touched up but if they throw it all out the window now. Fuck them

Zen

Banned
Sonic would have always been amazing as a zen open world game where you really were able to largely just speed around and have a blast until you went tot a dedicated zone, but I'm not convinced Sega could pull it off.

The Skylanders like things sound like a bad idea. You couldn't pull that off without giving Sonic an amazing amount of shitty friends.

NO GOD NO

They were so close with Generations. Sooooo close.

They really weren't but that' another topic.

Katzii

Quite how Sega continue to not understand what people love about Sonic after twenty years of his existence, I don't know.

I personally would like to see them alternate releases between "Modern Sonic"-style games and "Classic Sonic" style games. To give him another makeover and change things around yet again when they were finally starting to find their feet with the modern iteration is a bit ludicrous.

Wouldn't be against them dropping a load of the newer characters, though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I can smell another disaster coming.. just like the 2k6 reboot one.

Sonic Team should just stay with the classic Sonic levels in Sonic Generations, they are great just make more games like that.

qq more

Exactly. I'd be done with Sonic if this happened.

So you'd stop playing Sonic if they made more Classic games? I don't follow this logic at all.

But I do agree that it'd be really nice to continue on the Colors/Generations formula.

EDIT: Or did you mean "if this happened" by the reboot thing and not Grav's comment about classic?

CorvoSol

look at all that nothingness you can run through!

Hahaha. See, for me its the other way around. I want a Sequel to Sonic Colors and the 2D sections of Generations.

Sonic Generations was so awesome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Remember the last time Robotnik got a redesign and how bad it was? :lol

Why?

I meant Sonic Generations. Wops.
Ohhhh, you edited before I could post my LTTP thread. That game has a host of things wrong, especially the music. It was pretty boring, tbh.

Generations was a fantastic second step towards something right.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Anonymous source, my favourite!

Reads like fantasist bullshit with a western skew -- especially name dropping UE4. Japanese gentlemen develop Sonic games, not an american studio that doesnt exist.

CrazyDude

Yes, because when I was playing Sonic before, all I could think about was how much better these would be in an open world setting.

Gravijah

Hahaha. See, for me its the other way around. I want a Sequel to Sonic Colors and the 2D sections of Generations.

Sonic Generations was so awesome.

see, i'd love a 2d sonic like the 2d sections in generations, i just don't trust that it would turn out as well. but i'm a pessimist.

injurai

Banned
As soon as they get it right, they have to go fuck with it some more. Sonic is going to suffering some PTSD once Sega get's done with him.

Top Bottom