• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible unused 'Treasure Planet' assets found in Kingdom Hearts 3D

Ydelnae

Treasure_Planet_poster.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWyCL3sdXqA&feature=youtu.be&t=10409
2:53:20 min mark

For people wondering that it could be a demo version of the Captain Hook ship featured in past KH games, it looks significantly different. While the map is clearly unfinished and doesn't perfectly resemble the ship featured in the movie, the code related to this group of assets is titled "tp". All maps in past KH games have abreviated area codes like "tt" for the Twilight Town maps or "pl" for Pride Lands.

This world consists of 11 rooms (maps, areas), as found in the code. This is not the first time S-E leaves scrapped or unused material hidden inside the KH games. Assets from a Pinocchio world were found in 358/2 Days and Toy Story character models were found in KHII. Birth By Sleep also featured nearly finished The Jungle Book maps and enemies that were likely repurposed into the Neverland world.

frmbuf003.jpg

While this doesn't mean that Treasure Planet will be featured as a world in future KH games or KH3, it's nice to know the team considered including it in KH3D. Tetsuya Nomura also stated that the team also considered including 'Tron' and 'Fantasia 2000' worlds in this game.

Thanks to the youtube user OmegaErkz for finding this.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Awesome film that's robbed again from being more known :(

Treasure Planet isn't a particularly good film. It deserves recognition for being pretty much one of the very, very few Disney movies that isn't entered around any kind of romance (instead being focused on a more refreshing father/son dynamic) but outside of that, it's very derivative. The characters lack any kind of spark or dimension, the story is extremely predictable and trite (a natural result of being an adaptation of a very traditional, straight forward adventure story) and the music is pretty damn bland. For the most part, I sort of feel it deserves to be forgotten. There's a lot of nice animation in there, but for the most part, Disney has made much better movies.

Captain Amelia was a lot of fun, though.

tumblr_inline_o5agd0eUrY1t517kc_500.gif

DKHF

It will be in KHIII for sure, rounding out the trio of Roy Conli produced films (not Notre Dame since he was just co-producer).

Zaverious

So what you're actually saying is Jungle Book, Toy Story, and Treasure Planet confirmed for KH3. But for real though that's pretty interesting discovery.

Since I don't think it has a great chance for KHIII, I'm heartbrokenly conflicted between 'hey, at least Square know Treasure Planet exists!' and 'waaaaaah, we almost got Treasure Planet!' On the bright side, at least KH has gone through so many Disney films that they're now scraping the bottom of the under-performing Disney barrel. Yay! (ETA: Oh, fuck, I forgot about Pixar. Never mind.)

TP and Atlantis are my guilty Disney pleasures, sigh.

It will be in KHIII for sure, rounding out the trio of Roy Conli produced films (not Notre Dame since he was just co-producer).

Must. Not. Get. Hopes. Up. I never realised he produced Treasure Planet!

I'M STILL HEREEEE

Yeah, this better be in III.

You bastard.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The true problem here is Toy Story not being in KH2 while they rehashed Aladdin and Halloween Town again instead.

The true problem here is Toy Story not being in KH2 while they rehashed Aladdin and Halloween Town again instead.

Disney didn't buy Pixar until the year KH2 came out, so that was probably difficult. Now, I imagine anything Pixar, Marvel or Lucasfilm is fair game.

SCB3

Treasure Planet isn't a particularly good film. It deserves recognition for being pretty much one of the very, very few Disney movies that isn't entered around any kind of romance (instead being focused on a more refreshing father/son dynamic) but outside of that, it's very derivative. The characters lack any kind of spark or dimension, the story is extremely predictable and trite (a natural result of being an adaptation of a very traditional, straight forward adventure story) and the music is pretty damn bland. For the most part, I sort of feel it deserves to be forgotten. There's a lot of nice animation in there, but for the most part, Disney has made much better movies.

Are you joking? I'll leave the fact you said the music is bland (I'm a massive Goo Goo Dolls fan so I'm biased)

For a 2001 film, the animation is still incredible (especially on BR) and the story is a classic (it is based on Treasure Island after all) and deserves plaudits for being very different (and a decent Disney film for little boys to watch as well, as compared to Princesses being a major focus)

I feel the same for Hercules and Atlantis as well

Zaverious

I see Hercules staying forever just for the colosseum and Final Fantasy cameos unless they decide to make Mirage Arena a thing again.

DedValve

Banned

IIRC Treasure Planet and another animated movie came out at the same time. Both weren't successful but the other similar movie was far, far superior.

I think it was about finding a new earth or something? Idk but I remember loving it, then rewatching it later when I was older and really appreciating the dialogue.

But still I'd take Treasure Planet every day over Tron or Agrabah. God am I sick of those places. And it doesn't help that I HATE the Tron aesthetic.

It's good it wasn't used in that game... 'cause now it will be in Kingdom Hearts III and it will be glorious. Please Square Enix, please.

I know many people don't like it but for me, it's one of the best Disney movies and the setting is perfect for a Kingdom Hearts game (just imagine fighting in that beautiful space... on a space pirate ship!).

The real win for kh3 would to be all new worlds. Not a fan of treasure planet but would accept it for the reason already mentioned.

IIRC Treasure Planet and another animated movie came out at the same time. Both weren't successful but the other similar movie was far, far superior.

I think it was about finding a new earth or something? Idk but I remember loving it, then rewatching it later when I was older and really appreciating the dialogue.

But still I'd take Treasure Planet every day over Tron or Agrabah. God am I sick of those places. And it doesn't help that I HATE the Tron aesthetic.

That would be Titan A.E which came out two years before Treasure Planet(It's also Don Bluth's last hand drawn animated film so far. Currently he's working on a Dragon's Lair film so we'll see how that turns out.). I really liked that film as well, it has flaws but I enjoyed it's creativity. Also, it has a badass music segment(couldn't find an english clip).

RK128

Man, I would LOVE for Treasure Planet to appear in Kingdom Hearts :D! Its a world I am very hopeful pops up in KH3 as it would be breathtaking in HD.

More worlds is always good, but I'm not saddened that TP was cut.

Hated the movie.

EDIT: Maybe hated is the wrong word here, but it was poor.

The real win for kh3 would to be all new worlds. Not a fan of treasure planet but would accept it for the reason already mentioned.

We already have Hercules again but it's a "new" world (Mount Olympus). Nomura said we will have some old worlds back but with a new setting and that's good for me. We need a Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead's Man Chest world.

Nice! Ever since 3DS Homebrew took off, I've been waiting for people to tear apart KH3D, since there's always really interesting leftover data in the files. Would have loved to see it in the game since Treasure Planet's one of my favorite movies.

Probably worth noting that the guy that directed TP has both of his subsequent movies (Tangled and Big Hero 6) already in Kingdom Hearts III. They might as well go for the hat trick.

This was probably for the best. KH3D's choice of worlds was really good and this would have diminished that.

I'm sure it would have been fine. Country of the Musketeers was one of the best worlds in the game, and that was based on a mediocre direct-to-DVD animation.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I feel the same for Hercules and Atlantis as well

Hercules is absolutely superb and one of my absolute favourite Disney films, so I can agree with you on that score. The story, the hero, the villain, the love interest, the side characters, they fire on all cylinders for me. Probably the most under-rated film in the entire Disney catalogue.

Atlantis falls into exactly the same territory of Treasure Planet, where there's a lot of really sublime animation in there, but for the most part, the story and the characters are rather tedious, cliche and predictable. There's a reason why neither film is really remembered much anymore.

Vancouver

I actually liked Treasure Planet as a movie and enjoyed how the Jim Hawkins/John Silver dynamic was executed in the film.

The animation of course was great, but it's a movie that suffered from the "who is this for?" issue. It was a little too mature for your average family film and not mature enough to really target the core of the teen/adult audience. Something that Titan AE also suffered from. (now that movie I loved!) The reviews for it weren't bad and were positive on average, it just paled in comparison to the big success that Lilo and Stich was early in the year.

It also didn't help they released it a week after "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" and the same week as a Bond film.(Die Another Day) Releasing it so close to Harry Potter was extra stupid

Having Morph has a Summon would make me so happy.

I read earlier that Treasure Planet was supposed to have a Sequel with Willem Dafoe as the main villain but it never came to light because of the poor Box Office record for Treasure Planet.

Long John Sliver was the best part of Treasure Planet. It would be nice to see this world in KH3

SpaceWolf

Banned
Probably worth noting that the guy that directed TP has both of his subsequent movies (Tangled and Big Hero 6) already in Kingdom Hearts III. They might as well go for the hat trick.

Captain Amelia would make for a lovely assist summon, I can admit to that.

Vancouver

Hercules is absolutely superb and one of my absolute favourite Disney films, so I can agree with you on that score. The story, the hero, the villain, the love interest, the side characters, they fire on all cylinders for me. Probably the most under-rated film in the entire Disney catalogue.

Atlantis falls into exactly the same territory of Treasure Planet, where there's a lot of really sublime animation in there, but for the most part, the story and the characters are rather tedious and predictable. There's a reason why neither film is really remembered much anymore.

Correct on both accounts.

Hercules is an excellent film. Funny, great villain, great music and many good characters overall. I was obsessed with Greek Mythology as a kid, so Hercules was a dream movie for me. (came out when I was 9) My only issue with Hercules as a child was the "accuracy" in regards to the story that I had read in books. =P

Atlantis and Treasure Planet get lumped together and I can see why, but i think TP is the better overall film. TP's issues are that it is formulaic and uninspired, but it at least executes parts reasonably well. Atlantis suffers from more issues at its core, it's almost like 2 or 3 movies in one. Just looking at the characters involved, some of them don't even feel like they should be in the same movie. It's a shame too, since Atlantis is cool subject to base a movie on.

That said, the true turkey and hands down worst animated film Disney released as part of its mainline "Animated Classics" is "Home on the Range" and there is no debate. Not even Alan Menken's music could make me watch that film more then once. (it's the only feature disney animated film I have only watched once)

Correct on both accounts.

Hercules is an excellent film. Funny, great villain, great music and many good characters overall. I was obsessed with Greek Mythology as a kid, so Hercules was a dream movie for me. (came out when I was 9) My only issue with Hercules as a child was the "accuracy" in regards to the story that I had read in books. =P

Atlantis and Treasure Planet get lumped together and I can see why, but i think TP is the better overall film. TP's issues are it is formulaic and uninspired, but it at least executes parts reasonably well. Atlantis suffers from more issues at its core, it's almost like 2 or 3 movies in one. Just looking at the characters involved, some of them don't even feel like they should be in the same movie. It's a shame too, since Atlantis is cool subject to base a movie on.

That said, the true turkey and hands down worst animated film Disney released as part of its mainline "Animated Classics" is "Home on the Range" and there is no debate. Not even Alan Menken's music could make me watch that film more then once. (it's the only feature disney animated film I have only watched once)

FUCK Home on the Range. I went to see that movie when I was little for free and the film projector broke in the movie theatre.

See, even the movie projector knew!

Even the film projector couldn't handle that mess.

From what I remember it was pretty bad. I'm glad that movie projector broke.

Anyways I support a Treasure Planet level for KH3, but I also want another Pirates of the Caribbean with Davey Jones. I feel Square will choose Pirates of the Caribbean over Treasure Planet if there doing pirates.

But I still want a Muppet and Toy Story Level in KH3

Top Bottom