• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible unused 'Treasure Planet' assets found in Kingdom Hearts 3D

Vancouver

From what I remember it was pretty bad. I'm glad that movie projector broke.

Anyways I support a Treasure Planet level for KH3, but I also want another Pirates of the Caribbean with Davey Jones. I feel Square will choose Pirates of the Caribbean over Treasure Planet if there doing pirates.

But I still want a Muppet and Toy Story Level in KH3

Have to assume we'll see Toy Story eventually...please.

I don't ever expect to see the Muppets in a KH game, but I would love for it to happen.

Jawmuncher

We need Treasure Planet and Atlantis. If I can't get star wars and Marvel (that isn't big hero 6). That would suffice.

Like Hunchback, I think Treasure Planet would be better served on PS4. If only they saved the former for KH3!

I like what it and Atlantis were trying to do, but they're very flawed movies; in particular, I think Tim Brayton was on the money with his review:

In short: everything is busy and colorful and chaotic and full of imaginative touches and weirdly marvelous things, and it all lacks a soul - even stealing the soul from Robert Louis Stevenson, it still lacks a soul. There's too much stimulation, signifying nothing: the film suffers from the being overweighted by the massive explosion of creativity of two directors who'd been privately nurturing the story for at least 12 years by the time they finally got a chance to make it, and were so eager when their chance finally came that the forgot or didn't care about putting some kind of brake on their creativity - they never stopped to ask, "Yes, but why do we do this? Why the cat-woman with Emma Thompson's voice who looks just like Jane from Tarzan? Why put a supernova right in the middle of the plot, especially when we do not understand how supernovae work? Why, other than because it allows for an awesome transition, should this spaceport be shaped like a crescent moon?" Why, why, why, why. Whys pour off the movie without end, absolutely smothering its decent story and pretty animation. There is simply too much of Treasure Planet, and none of it fits together except in some catch-all bucket marked "in science fiction, you can do this." It is like stepping forth, in an explosion of colors, weird body shapes and bad comedy, into somebody else's migraine.

ionitron

In 30+ years...this is the one Disney Movie I haven't seen.

Worth the time?

I think so. It's not incredible, but it's a decent treat. Interesting character designs, pretty animation, although some of it may be a liiiiiitle uncanny because they integrated a lot of CG into it, but overall a solid movie.

Akainu

IIRC Treasure Planet and another animated movie came out at the same time. Both weren't successful but the other similar movie was far, far superior.

I think it was about finding a new earth or something? Idk but I remember loving it, then rewatching it later when I was older and really appreciating the dialogue.

But still I'd take Treasure Planet every day over Tron or Agrabah. God am I sick of those places. And it doesn't help that I HATE the Tron aesthetic.

And yet you can't remember it's name. lol

Titan ae.

Thank god, I would have loathed to see it have bad execution like with Hunchback of the Notre Dame, I want to see it in KH3 with better story execution.

brawly

Love this movie. I still want Robin Hood the most though. It would fit so well.

Sad it'll never happen, instead we'll get Agrabah for the 100th fucking time.

UCBooties

I always thought that the visual style of both Treasure Planet and Atlantis would make for good Kingdom Hearts worlds. I knew they were less popular but I didn't realize that there were people that straight up hated them.

The worst criticism that I have of Atlantis is that it's just Disney's animated version of Stargate.

KH2 had a Chicken Little summon. There's no excuse for at least a Morph summon.

However, if there's going to be a world of sailing and pirates, they should do Pirates of the Carribean 2. Davey Jones is too thematically relevant to KH's heartless lore.

Atlantis and Treasure Planet were my favorites as a kid. I think they came out at the right age where every Disney movie featuring a princess that wasn't Mulan wasn't interesting to me.

Ogimachi

Treasure Planet isn't a particularly good film. It deserves recognition for being pretty much one of the very, very few Disney movies that isn't entered around any kind of romance (instead being focused on a more refreshing father/son dynamic) but outside of that, it's very derivative. The characters lack any kind of spark or dimension, the story is extremely predictable and trite (a natural result of being an adaptation of a very traditional, straight forward adventure story) and the music is pretty damn bland. For the most part, I sort of feel it deserves to be forgotten. There's a lot of nice animation in there, but for the most part, Disney has made much better movies.

Captain Amelia was a lot of fun, though.

tumblr_inline_o5agd0eUrY1t517kc_500.gif
Of course it's derivative. It's (loosely) based on a popular book from the late 19th century.

Setsu00

KH2 had a Chicken Little summon. There's no excuse for at least a Morph summon.

However, if there's going to be a world of sailing and pirates, they should do Pirates of the Carribean 2. Davey Jones is too thematically relevant to KH's heartless lore.

The Chicken Little summon was seemingly put in to promote the movie's release in Japan.

The Lamp

Of course it's derivative. It's (loosely) based on a popular book from the late 19th century.

He said that and it still doesn't invalidate his other criticisms. It's a bad movie compared to most other Disney classics. And the soundtrack is terribad. What a nightmarish almost-end to Disney 2D animation.

Yukinari

Two worlds ive always wanted in KH were Jungle Book and Robin Hood and i wont be satisfied until they become reality.

I see it happening in KH3 just because Xehanort produced it. It's still kida weird how he has made 2 appearances as a representative for Disney in a way. They never have done that for previous titles so it makes me wonder what's his interest in this. Is it just a really weird marketing gimmick or does he have a real passion for his movies getting more recognition. I mean the guy was at the E3 audience last year, who does that?

Top Bottom