• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post a game you have fond memories of, but most people don't remember

TheContact

Scorched Earth (1991) - DOS
This was the first PC game I played. The terrain was destructible, you could save up money to buy new weapons, and you had to adjust power and account for wind when shooting. Landing a direct shot felt really good, and this game is still fun. People have made indie games based off of this concept on Steam, though I haven't tried any of them.

scorchedearth3.gif

Dark Age of Camelot (2001) - PC
DAoC was somewhat obscure in an already obscure genre at the time. Ultima Online had previously been the MMO garnering the most subscriptions, and pioneered the monthly payment option, whereas before MMOs typically charged you by the hour. They also created the "game time cards", and UO defined the term "shard" you hear in a lot of current MMOs as one of the early villains had a glass crystal that shattered into "shards" of glass, each "shard" was technically a server but it's how they explained the overall ultima worlds existing across multiple parallel universes in the lore, but I digress. Everquest was the most popular MMO after Ultima Online and pioneered 3D MMOs, but again, compared to other genres, MMOs didn't capture the attention of nearly the amount of gamers as they do now, in huge thanks to WoW.

But I didnt play EQ, I played DAoC. It had three factions, each existing in their own PvE worlds ) that you could never enter as another faction (unless you played on a Co-Op server, but you could meet in PvP zones. This game was PvP first, and PvE second. The three factions each had their own unique classes, which was hard to balance but kept each class feeling somewhat unique despite having 25 races and 45 classes to choose from. The way they tried to balance it was, each faction had the same access to the types of spells (each faction would have a speed boost, crowd control, aoe heals, etc...) but the variety was in which classes got which spells. A melee fighter on one faction might have an aoe speed buff, whereas on another faction it would go to a support class. The three faction split was interesting, and PvP was usually done in large groups they called "zergs", a reference to StarCraft. You would earn more powerful abilities the more kills you received in combat, and the game featured some really fun keep assaults and defense, including siege warfare.

It was also incredibly time consuming. I would play this game all night and would play so long I would watch the sun come up, not even realizing how much time had passed. And it wasn't easy, either. You would lose XP for dying, there was a lot of downtime in between fights, the overall combat was clunky and mostly just relied on macros, but god damn the game was fun. The community was the best part. People who play MMOs now will never know the sense of community the older MMOs had--they were smaller and more tight nit. A good comparison would be like living in NYC or LA, you see a ton of people and never really connect or care about any of them, but if you live in a small town and see the same people every day, you start to actually care. New MMOs have lost that, and will likely never be achieved again.

Dark-Age-of-Camelot-realm-versus-realm.jpg
fusXBdXKtOUji8hAl3NZG_XBJNpqykE2Ya8M1iOFVYORd59G-kkNb8UL9ELfgV4kQFRqA42JnZIcEkGZfnWJhbUa2K3GKvdZersgxU41BQrV0r5yRFDnz46SpeeWL_4

Last edited:

Woman7

Banned
This game. The music haunted me in my dreams...dreams about still failing to run past that pesky bat. Made by Activision featuring A RAINBOW FLAG in their logo waaaay before it was mandatory! Amazing. Progress.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Xenogears (1998) - Most people know Xenoblade, and they may even remember Xenosaga, but Xenogears was the OG. In my opinion, it's in the top 3 of the best JRPGs ever made by Square. It had a captivating story, a robust combat system, and an awesome soundtrack.

x8BvI4i.jpg

Banned
Little Fighter 2

great fun in Coop, great fun in VS and it's free!
Little Fighter - Download Links

this was on every school PC we could sneak it onto in my school at one point.
it has a very unique way of doing special moves. instead of quater-circles or charge moves, a move here would be DEFENCE-DOWN-ATTACK or DEFENCE-FORWARD-JUMP etc. which works extremely well in a beat em up like control scheme. because that is what this is, a Streets of Rage esque. beat em up with a VS. Multiplayer focus.
there are also street fighter esque combos... here's one with Freeze (my favorite character)
A + A + A + D + RIGHT + A + D + UP + J (A=Attack, D=Defence, J=Jump)
so there is depth to it as well. but even newcomers will have fun due to smash bros esque items and a very simple controls scheme (only 3 buttons)

1.gif

R1ee7f185bc367a6efc3fb4beda40b9c0

Last edited:

Paulxo87

This was the first PC game I played. The terrain was destructible, you could save up money to buy new weapons, and you had to adjust power and account for wind when shooting. Landing a direct shot felt really good, and this game is still fun. People have made indie games based off of this concept on Steam, though I haven't tried any of them.

amazing memories with this on my cousins dos computer 25 years ago. Remember the funky bombs and rubber shields? lol

Paulxo87

ZiXeLSM.jpg

When I think about this game the memories were great.. A friend of mine in the 3rd grade gave it to me. He said it didn't work. I used the ole cotton ball and rubbing alcohol trick and bingo. My friend and I would play it a lot coop. Great game holds up till this day as far as nes games go

Laptop1991

Magic Carpet on PC, i really liked the game but i couldn't beat it, it was too hard and,

Battlezone, the 3d version ,about 97/98, liked that game a lot. as well. i never see hardly any one mention them much.

no way wow GIF

Ermagerd it's gonna happen
If you want a silly ridiculous game of innocent fun you can't go much wrong. It's western themed with talking chicken town folk and stupid ogre outlaws. Oh and you get to shoot little fuzzy critters that eat enemies like piranhas. Just keep in mind the is a little old though.

Last edited:
Here's 3 for me

2220949-box_nblade.png

Ninja Blade - Mad OTT Fromsoftware Ninja action with nuts boss battles . So wished we had a sequel.

220px-Chromehounds.jpg

Chromhounds - The best Live game ever made

OIP.roZ_Cw1I0iW7svkLiGbOiwHaKd

Rise of the Dragon - Forget Snatcher and the rest, this is the best cyberpunk game ever made

Tschumi

If you want a silly ridiculous game of innocent fun you can't go much wrong. It's western themed with talking chicken town folk and stupid ogre outlaws. Oh and you get to shoot little fuzzy critters that eat enemies like piranhas. Just keep in mind the is a little old though.
I'll get the HD version on vita , might be dated by now but, hd at least :)

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

scorchedearth3.gif
fusXBdXKtOUji8hAl3NZG_XBJNpqykE2Ya8M1iOFVYORd59G-kkNb8UL9ELfgV4kQFRqA42JnZIcEkGZfnWJhbUa2K3GKvdZersgxU41BQrV0r5yRFDnz46SpeeWL_4
Thank you so much for posting that, this was my crack back in the day!

Tschumi

scorchedearth3.gif

Dark Age of Camelot (2001) - PC
DAoC was somewhat obscure in an already obscure genre at the time. Ultima Online had previously been the MMO garnering the most subscriptions, and pioneered the monthly payment option, whereas before MMOs typically charged you by the hour. They also created the "game time cards", and UO defined the term "shard" you hear in a lot of current MMOs as one of the early villains had a glass crystal that shattered into "shards" of glass, each "shard" was technically a server but it's how they explained the overall ultima worlds existing across multiple parallel universes in the lore, but I digress. Everquest was the most popular MMO after Ultima Online and pioneered 3D MMOs, but again, compared to other genres, MMOs didn't capture the attention of nearly the amount of gamers as they do now, in huge thanks to WoW.

But I didnt play EQ, I played DAoC. It had three factions, each existing in their own PvE worlds ) that you could never enter as another faction (unless you played on a Co-Op server, but you could meet in PvP zones. This game was PvP first, and PvE second. The three factions each had their own unique classes, which was hard to balance but kept each class feeling somewhat unique despite having 25 races and 45 classes to choose from. The way they tried to balance it was, each faction had the same access to the types of spells (each faction would have a speed boost, crowd control, aoe heals, etc...) but the variety was in which classes got which spells. A melee fighter on one faction might have an aoe speed buff, whereas on another faction it would go to a support class. The three faction split was interesting, and PvP was usually done in large groups they called "zergs", a reference to StarCraft. You would earn more powerful abilities the more kills you received in combat, and the game featured some really fun keep assaults and defense, including siege warfare.

It was also incredibly time consuming. I would play this game all night and would play so long I would watch the sun come up, not even realizing how much time had passed. And it wasn't easy, either. You would lose XP for dying, there was a lot of downtime in between fights, the overall combat was clunky and mostly just relied on macros, but god damn the game was fun. The community was the best part. People who play MMOs now will never know the sense of community the older MMOs had--they were smaller and more tight nit. A good comparison would be like living in NYC or LA, you see a ton of people and never really connect or care about any of them, but if you live in a small town and see the same people every day, you start to actually care. New MMOs have lost that, and will likely never be achieved again.

Wow you reminded me of a dos skiing game i played in a loft in Vermont once.. also one of the mechwarrior games from the 90s... Nice!

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Full Auto
fullauto.jpg

Mystic Heroes
gc_mystic_heroes_p_xwzfkp.jpg

Elebits
1029523-elebits.jpg

Death Jr
th

Driver San Francisco on Wii (piss poor draw distance, but the game is very fun and very different from the amazing X360 version)

killatopak

Gold Member
Musashi: Samurai Legends.

I’ve never heard or played Brave Fencer Musashi before so I didn’t have any expectations going in and I loved it.

Erdrick

Time Bandit for the Atari ST. Never did finish it or discover it's myriad of mysteries... The shooting and item collection sound effects still are stuck in my head to this day.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Oh and since OP didn't specifically ask for a video game, I'll add this as well. Many sleepless nights as a kid were wasted on this.

4GL4gFW.jpg
But that was a video game too, on the Amiga. I loved it!

I also got the board game for Christmas back then, none of my family wanted to play it with me though. Lazy sods.

It's quite hard to track a fully boxed edition down nowdays. I had this and Space hulk. I wish my father never threw them out the loft, along with my 2000AD collection

Utterly gutting that was.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
There was this game called Stuntman on PS2 that was seriously awesome. The basic premise is you played a Stunt driver and had to perform movie scenes correctly. It was honestly one of the most challenging games I ever played.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lol some of you are just posting old popular games ......that even still remembers..

Well my pick is cyborg justice! This game is a ton of fun in co-op. You could build your own robot and also steal parts from enemy robots.

Cyborg_Justice_Coverart.png

Last edited:

DogofWar

iu

Asterix Mega Madness! Listening to burned CD-rs and playing this particular minigame, me and my friend somehow never grew tired of it.

iu

Cold Shadow: Some of my earliest memories about gaming, and probably in general for that matter, was my older brother playing this on dads computer. As fond of a memory as it can be.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone remember Rockstar's State of Emergency? Definitely would not get made today but I absolutely loved this game back in the day. You could cause so much destruction.

35fbdb5b58ff5e0375526c71617b9c49.jpg

e06nUe8.png
82y55Q9.png

Pickle Wars was just dumb fun as a kid. I still have it on my PC, as well as scorched earth. My siblings and I would give our tanks the max amount of money and go ham with the diverse set of weaponry. And when all else failed, we gave everyone, including the bots, unlimited nukes.

Top Bottom