• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post-apocalyptic/near extinction films with romance subplots... It never makes sense.

Blade2.0

These post-apocalyptic films just never make sense when it comes to romance. They've got to up the population of the planet, but still using marriage and romantic pairings as the way to do it. Puh-lease. And what, the ugly survivors are just going to be all

"well they're in love, my basic needs just can't be met now".

Come oooon!!!!

Women would be used as baby makers and that's that. Let's not get all sanctimonious here. I'm not saying that it should happen or that the wen of these worlds deserve it to happen to them. What I'm saying is (unless it's a society that has enslaved the men to be milked dry and discarded) the women of these futures aren't going to have a rosy misadventure romance with the hot guy that also just happens to survive...nah. it's gonna be rape city. I just don't see why post-apocalyptic films,novels, etc. Don't depict this kind of societal breakdown like it would most likely occur. One movie in particular that just never made sense was

"Z for Zachariah":

Single woman in a near extinct wasteland finds two men that happen to come to her place...she chooses one and shuns the other. I mean I get it, but what did you think the other side was gonna do after you shun his advances be like "well guess I just get to masturbate for the rest of my life no biggie." No shit it went south and the other dude tried to kill your lover. I mean, I get that it's not cool and shouldn't happen... But things are different in the apocalypse.

Anywho, been watching post apocalyptic movies recently and it just never made sense.

These post-apocalyptic films just never make sense when it comes to romance. They've got to up the population of the planet, but still using marriage and romantic pairings as the way to do it. Puh-lease. And what, the ugly survivors are just going to be all

"well they're in love, my basic needs just can't be met now".

Come oooon!!!!

Women would be used as baby makers and that's that. Let's not get all sanctimonious here. I'm not saying that it should happen or that the wen of these worlds deserve it to happen to them. What I'm saying is (unless it's a society that has enslaved the men to be milked dry and discarded) the women of these futures aren't going to have a rosy misadventure romance with the hot guy that also just happens to survive...nah. it's gonna be rape city. I just don't see why post-apocalyptic films,novels, etc. Don't depict this kind of societal breakdown like it would most likely occur. One movie in particular that just never made sense was

"Z for Zachariah":

Single woman in a near extinct wasteland finds two men that happen to come to her place...she chooses one and shuns the other. I mean I get it, but what did you think the other side was gonna do after you shun his advances be like "well guess I just get to masturbate for the rest of my life no biggie." No shit it went south and the other dude tried to kill your lover. I mean, I get that it's not cool and shouldn't happen... But things are different in the apocalypse.

Anywho, been watching post apocalyptic movies recently and it just never made sense.
Shut the fuck up.

Blade2.0

So your one example is of a situation where things work out realistically?
You seem less pissed about the movies and more pissed that if you are one of the last two men on earth you still might not get laid.
You know damn well this doesn't happen in most.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
OP, they're action movies, they're products designed to engage and audience

It's the same reason that you see the exact same plot in so many of them - divorced couple with a child, father is usually a scientist or something, child is disconnected from the father but happens to be spending the weekend with them when tragedy strikes, father proves he is a really useful man by getting them through the disaster. Some variation on that. Audiences need something to relate to that isn't literally the world ending

Blade2.0

I haven't even gotten into the absolute amount of inbreeding that would be needed for the species to be viable again....

All I'm really trying to say is that Mad Max Fury Road is the perfect post apocalyptic film.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I guess Mad max fury road was realistic in that sense then.
But really your example makes no sense. Z for Zacarhaih does it right by your own admission, then why are you saying it makes no sense?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I mean most post-apocalyptic flicks are tamed to avoid getting the highest age ratings. It's especially annoying if it's a PG rated material like that show Revolution - https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/1410-revolution No way a super hot teen in skimpy clothes would survive for a week outside without getting assaulted / raped / enslaved.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

I guess Mad max fury road was realistic in that sense then.
But really your example makes no sense. Z for Zacarhaih does it right by your own admission, then why are you saying it makes no sense?
Because that's one movie out of how many post apocalyptic films and TV shows...

Peggies

Gold Member
While we're at it, did anybody watch Songbird on Amazon? If so, how much romantic love shit is in it? Like is it mir of an action movie or a "touching" drama?

Top Bottom