• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post in here if you think Microsoft is truly hosed next round (no ray tracing crap, please)

Shakka43

Game pass ultimate is currently $15/month. That's $180/year.

Even if you never buy an Xbox, and only played Xbox games through your PC for a 6 year generation, you will have given them $1080. Like every subscription-based service that has ever existed, the nanosecond they have a big audience that begins to rely on that service, they will raise the price. So it could be even more money you give them over time.

This is why they are pushing it so hard. They know that selling Xbox hardware isn't their future. They will get Xbox owners to pay up for it and PC players who normally would never have had access. So while all of that sub money isn't profit, it's how they will hit their revenue goals.

If you never buy an Xbox you won't get to pay $180, as of right now it would be $60 ($5/month) as Gamepass Ultimate is just for the console services.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If you never buy an Xbox you won't get to pay $180, as of right now it would be $60 ($5/month) as Gamepass Ultimate is just for the console services.
Exactly the margins on gamepass PC are nothing being subsidized by console side. They want to sell consoles where they make margins on their services and games. Now that gabe is getting 30% cut of games on steam where most sales will be now. The PC side there is no real money to be made for MS. If the console side is not making money the whole division sinks.

Last edited:
Those plucky little studios like Obsidian, Double Fine and Ninja Theory are the reason I might be interested in a MS console for the first time ever.
Sony used to be the one to release quirky games, but now everything they do looks like 3rd person walking sim.
Yawn.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I don't know what will happen but I know I'll be getting an XSX instead of PS5. I just don't have any interest in Sony's exclusives. Well, maybe one game...but Xbox has more exclusives that I'm wanting to play.

jakinov

I think the new Xbox could do better than Xbox One did but I think the new PlayStation will have the larger install base than the new Xbox. I think Microsoft business will grow with GamePass, publishing, and likely increased software sales. Will it "win the console war"? Probably not. But you don't have to be number one but you have to at least grow.

The PC thing is not a huge issue, as Microsoft doesn't really care about selling you a console if you are likely going to place all the multi-platforms on PC anyways. I think the most important part is launch momentum and have constant positive buzz. I think a lot of people buy what they friends get and getting buzz constantly is how they are going to convince casuals to buy their consoles. The first party exclusives are a small fraction of the total software sales and until the last couple of years exclusives only scratched the surface of the install base and still make up a not so significant percentage. Which is okay, but it seems there's a lot of people just buying consoles to play GTA, sports games, COD, fornite and Minecraft. Finding ways to capture those kinds of people is important whether it's positive buzz of who has better exclusives that they will never play or what console has better graphics.

Excusing all the fanboy garbage by the OP,i feel its the exact opposite.
1. As it stands now,XSX appears to be the most powerful console. Complete opposite of the launch of 2013 where XB1 was 40% weaker than PS4 in addition to being 100 dollars more. XSX is designed to be the most powerful next gen console MS can possibly build at a premium price. It is a gaming machine.
2. MS has significantly improved their 1st party. Playground (two AAA teams,one for Forza Horizon,2nd on a rumored Fable reboot where they are stealing talent from Rockstar/Rocksteady etc),Ninja Theory (one of the best diverse/unique devs in the biz),The Initiative (new AAA studio who's stealing talent left n right from ex Sony Santa Monica/Naughty Dog),Obsidian(The Outer Worlds is a goty contender),Double Fine(Physchonauts 2),InXile(growing to a AAA team and Wasteland 3 looks great,all on top of current growing studios in 343,The Coalition,Rare,Turn 10,Undead Labs etc.....

MS has addressed there two biggest flaws of XB1 launch. 1.Power and 2. 1st party.

Ar¢tos

I don't expect MS to win next gen, but I'm sure it will be profitable like this gen. I don't have a gaming pc, so I'm getting a Sexbox for exclusives, not at launch, probably 6 months - 1 year after.

MilkyJoe

Microsoft might very well take it on the chin even harder in the next generation than they did in this one. Why?

Off the top of my head:
  • Two Xbox systems, with one that sucks, creating consumer confusion and developer disgust
  • Sony's 1st party dominance.
  • Sony buying experienced AAA developers like Insomniac, instead of "plucky" little squads like Obsidian and Ninja Theory.
  • Sony's BC looks to be the real deal...and then some if you read the tea leaves.
  • A very good chance that 343 mucks up Halo: Infinite.
  • Xbox One has irreparably damaged the brand.
  • Nintendo is back and better than ever, and can differentiate themselves from Sony in ways that Microsoft can only dream of.
  • Europe and Japan aren't interested in Xbox.
  • 11 vs 9 teraflop difference will not be as pronounced as 6 vs 4 was this time--and it's not like the PS4 Pro was a bad machine or anything.
  • The PC will get all the big Xbox games, and a PC is likely a better investment for power-crazed gamers.

I love my Xbox One X, and the Series X looks quite good, but the more I look at the dynamics this time around, the worse I think it gets for Microsoft.

Huge thanks to Don Mattrick and his horrendous regime for relegating a promising brand to the ash heap of history. Pricks.

EBNpgtmWsAIY4dX.jpg

Psykodad

Banned
MS being in a better position than at the start of current-gen is hardly an accomplishment.

And buying Obsidian and Ninja Theory was a good decision, but won't put them next to Sony's first party output. Not yet anyway.

They'll probably do better than this gen though.
Maybe sell 50M instead of 45M by the end of the gen.

At this point, their online services will make Xbox consoles obsolete and the brand has little relevance outside the US and UK as is.

Last edited:

Heinrich

Banned
Off the top of my head:
  • Two Xbox systems, with one that sucks, creating consumer confusion and developer disgust —> lol no. How fucking stupid do you think people are? Hardcore gamers take the more expensive one and pay more. Casual gamers can get the cheaper console - even cheaper than the PS5. Lower entry point for nextgen is better

• Sony's 1st party dominance. —> meh. The gen is starting. There is no 1st party even announced and it will take at least until 2022 until something arrives.
  • Sony buying experienced AAA developers like Insomniac, instead of "plucky" little squads like Obsidian and Ninja Theory. —> meh. Same point as before, nothing new. Nothing announced. We have to wait.
  • Sony's BC looks to be the real deal...and then some if you read the tea leaves. —> same as before. We don’t even know yet. Also MS BC already IS the real deal. Even plays older games in higher res and better performance. How can this get better?
  • A very good chance that 343 mucks up Halo: Infinite. —-> not really. Halo 5 has a 85 at metacritic. This is good. Halo infinite is 5 YEARS in development and will have local multiplayer. This will be huge. Why do you think this is going to be bad? You have no reason and no Proof to believe that.
  • Xbox One has irreparably damaged the brand. —> new generation. Who cares about the past? All the old people are gone. Same was for Sony, PS3 was a shitshow, like the PSN HACK, YLOD, „get a SECOND job to buy our console“, when nextgen started no one gave a shit. Same for MS nextgen.
  • Nintendo is back and better than ever, and can differentiate themselves from Sony in ways that Microsoft can only dream of. —> completely different target audience.
  • Europe and Japan aren't interested in Xbox. —-> we will see nextgen.
  • 11 vs 9 teraflop difference will not be as pronounced as 6 vs 4 was this time--and it's not like the PS4 Pro was a bad machine or anything. —-> we will see when the first multiplatform titles arrive how big of a difference it will be. It will be BIG.
  • The PC will get all the big Xbox games, and a PC is likely a better investment for power-crazed gamers. —-> PC market for console games is tiny. No one gives a shit about those. Not many lost sales.

Again, so many bullshit you are talking here. But it’s good. Underestimate Microsoft, they will Kick Sonys ass

Mista

Banned
I don’t mind speculating next-gen based on this gen but here where you pissed me off:
  • Sony's BC looks to be the real deal...and then some if you read the tea leaves.
Sooooo you wanna act like you don’t know how the BC works on Xbox and think the PS is going to be better while not knowing how it’s going to function?

I can see where this thread is going so I’m not going to waste my time any further

Last edited:

Heinrich

Banned
I don’t mind speculating next-gen based on this gen but here where you pissed me off:

Sooooo you wanna act like you don’t know how the BC works on Xbox and think the PS is going to be better while not knowing how it’s going to function?

I can see where this thread is going so I’m not going to waste my time any further

This. So damn stupid what he talks about there. True Sony fanboy crap. Fucking blind.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Explain to me a consumer why ray tracing gives nerds boners.
8bb7qjwy1a421.jpg

Chiggs

Come on. You have nothing better to do, jet-setter.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So many pie in the sky thoughts

• Two Xbox systems, with one that sucks, creating consumer confusion and developer disgust -They have not announced anything,could even be the Scorpio is this model if it does exist
  • Sony's 1st party dominance -agree but they suffer from a severe case of diversity
  • Sony buying experienced AAA developers like Insomniac, instead of "plucky" little squads like Obsidian and Ninja Theory. makers of one of the best rpgs and a dev who used to make 1St party games for Sony??
  • BC looks to be the real deal...and then some if you read the tea leaves. And who led the way this gen with bc?
  • A very good chance that 343 mucks up Halo: Infinite. Another hot take...naughty dog could easily fuck up last of us
  • Xbox One has irreparably damaged the brand. X1x is the sorry letter...you release a great console at the right price with right lineup at the start people will buy...look at ps3 launch
  • Nintendo is back and better than ever, and can differentiate themselves from Sony in ways that Microsoft can only dream of. And why do you think ms is being friendly with them...gamepass/streaming is the perfect thing for the switch
  • Europe and Japan aren't interested in Xbox. Japan yes....Europe not so much.
  • 11 vs 9 teraflop difference will not be as pronounced as 6 vs 4 was this time--and it's not like the PS4 Pro was a bad machine or anything.people will move the goalposts around to whatever benefits the argument ...most of thelastword threads are this in a nutshell
  • The PC will get all the big Xbox games, and a PC is likely a better investment for power-crazed gamers.yes but ms are not focused on a single box...they are focused on a brand and service
I would be more worried about Sony fucking things up as they have really shown nothing these last few years and the inside money is on the new console being vr focused with the usual Sony software drought that all of their consoles have had at launch.

Not something you really want when your competition is ticking the boxes
I can see PS5's 1st year being the best Sony's had in a long time

And Naughty Dog will create another timeless classic with TLOU Part 2 never doubt ND

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
And Naughty Dog will create another timeless classic with TLOU Part 2 never doubt ND
But the first one was average at best! People need to read a (book/web novel?) if they think that had a good story. The gameplay wasn't fulfilling to me either and as a single STRAIGHT MALE I didn't care about the daughter replacement either. FAR CRY from a TIMELESS CLASSIC if you ask (me).

Psykodad

Banned
But the first one was average at best! People need to read a (book/web novel?) if they think that had a good story. The gameplay wasn't fulfilling to me either and as a single STRAIGHT MALE I didn't care about the daughter replacement either. FAR CRY from a TIMELESS CLASSIC if you ask (me).
It was more about the execution, character building and production value though.

Everybody knows the story isn't the best ever created.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
ND were peak for me at uncharted 2. Last of us, well, I don’t know, I enjoyed it but it didn’t really hit me like it should have done from what I read.

I can count on ND to deliver some cutting edge best in field visuals, and I know the stuff they will pump out on PS5 will be stupidly good looking.

But their gameplay is utterly dreadful, and their stories, they just aren’t what they used to be.

No console war BS. Uncharted 3 was the same, it was a clear down step from 2. And don’t even get me started on 4. That may as well been a spin off from a different company.

Ar¢tos

A shift to services makes sense, since the only real competition there is Stadia's corpse and comatose PSNow , and they can still get money from 3rd party games (no money made from hardware anyway). If MS focus more on gamepass/xcloud I can see all 3 co-existing with no problem.
As far as I can see, since the series X announcement, it's not making waves at all in EU (judging by what I have been reading in PT/ES/FR forums), instead of pushing the actual console, a marketing focus on xcloud for EU could give them more brand recognition there.

Heinrich

Banned
I can see PS5's 1st year being the best Sony's had in a long time

TLOU2 is a base ps4 title and even releases way before PS5 releAse.

Absolutely not. Sony is already going back to indies. See here: https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2019/...cus-on-nurturing-independent-creators/361543/

They did the EXACT SAME thing during PS4 launch and the first couple Years of ps4 that’s why it was called „indiestation 4“.

It will take at least 2 years until we see the first PS5 1st party exclusive games.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Here's what i'd do:

1) Invest heavily on the mobile market through xCloud and maybe even some more casual games for mobile: just bring Hexic to Android/iOS or a Fable gacha game idk. Mobile is a huge market, whether you like or not it doesn't matter, and as of now Microsoft's only big presence is through Minecraft.

2) Rescue a japanese studio from bankruptcy by acquiring it. Let's face it: no japanese studio would want to be acquired by Microsoft (patriotism and Xbox's presence in Japan is super irrelevant), but if you acquire a japanese studio that is about to shut down (even small ones like AlphaDream), you get some reputation there and you also end up with a japanese studio. Either this way or you fund a new one but most people would snub it then i feel. Microsoft needs a first party JRPG.

3) Go big on China, India, huge markets still very open to new players to enter and where you can gain a lot especially through mobile and even PC. China in particular as a whole is a bigger market than US and Europe already.

My big problem with Xbox is that in many ways it is still a very US focused brand. They have very little presence in Europe and not enough appeal for asian markets. They don't have a global mentality yet and that is reflected in their library which is super focused on shooters and games as a service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobbygaming

Absolutely not. Sony is already going back to indies. See here: https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2019/...cus-on-nurturing-independent-creators/361543/

They did the EXACT SAME thing during PS4 launch and the first couple Years of ps4 that’s why it was called „indiestation 4“.

It will take at least 2 years until we see the first PS5 1st party exclusive games.
I was replying to him saying ND could mess up with TLOU Part 2

And just because Yoshida has a different role of finding quality indies, doesn't mean that's all PlayStation will have. Hermen Hulst runs WWS now. Spider-man 2 and Horizon 2 could be releasing in the PS5's 1st year, along with a Ratchet and Clank and Gran Turismo 7. These are not out of the realm of possibility

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

ND were peak for me at uncharted 2. Last of us, well, I don’t know, I enjoyed it but it didn’t really hit me like it should have done from what I read.

I can count on ND to deliver some cutting edge best in field visuals, and I know the stuff they will pump out on PS5 will be stupidly good looking.

But their gameplay is utterly dreadful, and their stories, they just aren’t what they used to be.

No console war BS. Uncharted 3 was the same, it was a clear down step from 2. And don’t even get me started on 4. That may as well been a spin off from a different company.
I loved UC4 and I feel like the rope made encounters more fun, we can agree to disagree

TLOU Part 2 looks astounding in every way

Hobbygaming

In no world is TLOU average. The game just won metacritic's Game of The Decade, it also won over 200 awards and is one of the best games I've ever played

Ar¢tos

Do you really think Sony is releasing a console without a single 1st party launch game to showcase the console abilities? That makes no sense at all and hasn't happened since the ps1.
Killzone Shadowfall, Knack and Resogun weren't crossgen games, why would they do crossgen games for PS5 launch?
They have several studios, many with multiple teams (Japan Studio, ND, SSM, Guerrilla, Sony London, maybe even more have more than one team) and they often contract 3rd parties for exclusives.
I'll gladly do an avatar and tag bet that they will have at least one first party (or owned IP in case of a contracted 3rd party) ps5 exclusive non-crossgen launch title.

farmerboy

Microsoft might very well take it on the chin even harder in the next generation than they did in this one. Why?

Off the top of my head:
  • Two Xbox systems, with one that sucks, creating consumer confusion and developer disgust
  • Sony buying experienced AAA developers like Insomniac, instead of "plucky" little squads like Obsidian and Ninja Theory.
  • Nintendo is back and better than ever, and can differentiate themselves from Sony in ways that Microsoft can only dream of.
  • 11 vs 9 teraflop difference will not be as pronounced as 6 vs 4 was this time--and it's not like the PS4 Pro was a bad machine or anything.
  • The PC will get all the big Xbox games, and a PC is likely a better investment for power-crazed gamers.

I love my Xbox One X, and the Series X looks quite good, but the more I look at the dynamics this time around, the worse I think it gets for Microsoft.

Huge thanks to Don Mattrick and his horrendous regime for relegating a promising brand to the ash heap of history. Pricks.

"plucky"

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member

Off the top of my head:

This is the most pathetic post I have read in a long time.

But I will comment on one point in particular.

PS4 wasn't a bad machine?

giphy.gif

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
You’re saying the PS4 is a bad machine? I don’t follow.
It's a piece of crap.

Loud as hell, cheap as hell, you have to manually change thermal paste to not make it loud because they could not be bothered to properly build it.

It's sole purpose was to be used for 4k or at least 60 fps, it does neither 90% of time.

It's 1440p overpriced machine with an awful design.

Worst console I ever bought, by far

Chiggs

It's a piece of crap.

Loud as hell, cheap as hell, you have to manually change thermal paste to not make it loud because they could not be bothered to properly build it.

It's sole purpose was to be used for 4k or at least 60 fps, it does neither 90% of time.

It's 1440p overpriced machine with an awful design.

Worst console I ever bought, by far

Ah, gotcha. Build quality. I haven't had any issues with my Pro, but I do admit the One X is the better unit. Again, it's not like I have a hard-on for MS biting the bullet; it's just they face a real steep climb in next gen.

Graciaus

I highly doubt there is anything either console could put out that would make me buy one. At least Microsoft can get some money from me still by releasing on pc.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
In no world is TLOU average. The game just won metacritic's Game of The Decade, it also won over 200 awards and is one of the best games I've ever played
Good, for them and you. I don't get the appeal myself and still consider it average in everything outside (graphics) when it came out.

Top Bottom