• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post in here if you think Microsoft is truly hosed next round (no ray tracing crap, please)

JCK75

Microsoft might very well take it on the chin even harder in the next generation than they did in this one. Why?

Off the top of my head:
  • Two Xbox systems, with one that sucks, creating consumer confusion and developer disgust
  • Sony's 1st party dominance.
  • Sony buying experienced AAA developers like Insomniac, instead of "plucky" little squads like Obsidian and Ninja Theory.
  • Sony's BC looks to be the real deal...and then some if you read the tea leaves.
  • A very good chance that 343 mucks up Halo: Infinite.
  • Xbox One has irreparably damaged the brand.
  • Nintendo is back and better than ever, and can differentiate themselves from Sony in ways that Microsoft can only dream of.
  • Europe and Japan aren't interested in Xbox.
  • 11 vs 9 teraflop difference will not be as pronounced as 6 vs 4 was this time--and it's not like the PS4 Pro was a bad machine or anything.
  • The PC will get all the big Xbox games, and a PC is likely a better investment for power-crazed gamers.

I love my Xbox One X, and the Series X looks quite good, but the more I look at the dynamics this time around, the worse I think it gets for Microsoft.

Huge thanks to Don Mattrick and his horrendous regime for relegating a promising brand to the ash heap of history. Pricks.

I still think Game pass is one of the best things going in the entire industry, If Microsoft can deliver some fresh new games it can make a comeback, Sony exclusives are starting to feel stale and samey IMO, and they have taken some damaging stances on pro censorship and blocking crossplatform play that worked with every other system.

I'm not saying MS won't continue to fuck up, but Sony is in a position to lose this time around, the biggest knock against the One when it launched was how terribly underpowered it was.

HeresJohnny

I don't think they're hosed, necessarily. I don't think they know what they want to do or be, and that's problematic obviously. I feel they may replace one problem with another, thinking they can differentiate themselves within the market. I will say this: if either console launches at $500 or more, they're both hosed.

CAB_Life

Threads like this are hyperbolic to the extreme, and everyone speaks anecdotally, so here’s my experience with the Xbox brand. I’ve been a Sony fan since the PSX era, only Xbox system I ever owned was a 360 after they sorted out (mostly) the RRoD fiasco. Loved Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon was okay (hate chibi-anime look). That said, I purchased/ gifted myself an X1X for Xmas and the interface and performance have won me over. Quite likely I’ll buy an XSX next gen. I mostly play multiplats (ESO junkie) so I’m going with whatever has the better performance metrics of the two (seemingly Xbox if the leaks are true), plus Gamepass has proven to be a GOLDMINE for people like me who buy games and never play them. At least this way I’m a.) not wasting exorbitant sums of money on digital garbage b.) somewhat encouraged to finish these games as they’re time-limited and can fall out of rotation.

So MS has a lot of stuff to offer certain consumers. I don’t think they’ll “win” next gen, but they’ve certainly won me over as a consumer—and I was completely soured on the brand.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It’s really not that hard, and I feel like you are purposely making it more obtuse than it has to be.

If you own a game and you want to play it, they are trying to give you as many avenues as they can to play it. If you subscribe to Gamepass and you want to play a game on it, again they are trying to make sure you can play it wherever you are, whenever you like.

The rest of this is just FUD to distract from that.

I'm simply stating facts. You (the vendor) can offer too many SKU's and options because having to cover and highlight that breadth of product weakens the pitch. Focus in messaging is important, especially when trying to attract new customers you can't rely on them researching and understanding the landscape the same way an enthusiast does.

There's a clear difference in philosophy here. The reason why Sony have made a big deal of announcing the PS5 logo is to establish as concisely and unambiguously as possible up-front that "here's our successor platform". Meanwhile here's the green team touting Xbox Series X, which is great if you're into the scene, but to a casual punter how does that stand out next to Xbox One S, Xbox One S All-Digital Edition, and Xbox One X?

It doesn't, its just more vague jargon.

meirl

Banned
I'm simply stating facts. You (the vendor) can offer too many SKU's and options because having to cover and highlight that breadth of product weakens the pitch. Focus in messaging is important, especially when trying to attract new customers you can't rely on them researching and understanding the landscape the same way an enthusiast does.

dude, there are going to be TWO (2) SKUs, whats the problem? also, who says they are going to launch with two skus? it could be that they are going to launch with just the series X and later on, a year later or so, they will release the series S. whats the problem? seriously. You are trying to create a problem, where there is no problem at all. this is getting ridiculous. according to you iphone users should be even more confused with iphone 11, X, XS, 11 pro, iPad Pro, iPad, Apple Watch Series 5, lte, etc.

we are just talking about 2 fucking SKUs. stop with this crap

meirl

Banned
Good, for them and you. I don't get the appeal myself and still consider it average in everything outside (graphics) when it came out.

yup, I still don't get the love. I played it for a few hours and the quit, mainly because of those reasons:

Its is so damn overrated. if the same game would be released on xbox, no one would give a shit lol

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Yeah, the N64 has all the games, stronger first party and it's getting the expansion pack AND the 64DD giving it optical capabilities. Xbots are doomed.

Last edited:

Zero7

Who cares? The loser aways has to try harder and that benefits us in the long run. Competition is great

Remember when Sony took a tumble with the PS3? They came back fighting hard with the PS4, MS will be doing the same next gen.

Psykodad

Banned
Indeed. From the vast amount of next gen speculation threads you lot must be truly bored with the current gen already.

Ergo they all failed.
Who failed at what?

Honestly speaking, this gen has been dragging on for too long.
7 years feels like an eternity in console land.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
This is the most pathetic post I have read in a long time.

But I will comment on one point in particular.

PS4 wasn't a bad machine?

giphy.gif
As much as I agree mate since I own both the OG and Pro, I’ll have to say that it made it up for where it lacked. Great UI and great games. Yes it said it’ll do 4K and all that bollocks when actually it was checker-boarding. But yeah I’m sure you get my point. I have no problem when someone is lacking in an area but at the same time making it up big time in another area.

Journey

Banned
Is this like an AA meeting?

This thread is so 2013, you’re late for your calling:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
It's getting late here, I first read that as "ejaculate together".

(which is what this thread will devolve into - seriously, how about we wait until we have real, official specs for both systems before we start the circlejerk)

OMG I'm dying, please stop, you're about to create an image of TLW and the rest of the circle holding hands. :messenger_face_screaming::messenger_dizzy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

meirl

Banned
So many pie in the sky thoughts

• Two Xbox systems, with one that sucks, creating consumer confusion and developer disgust -They have not announced anything,could even be the Scorpio is this model if it does exist
  • Sony's 1st party dominance -agree but they suffer from a severe case of diversity
  • Sony buying experienced AAA developers like Insomniac, instead of "plucky" little squads like Obsidian and Ninja Theory. makers of one of the best rpgs and a dev who used to make 1St party games for Sony??
  • BC looks to be the real deal...and then some if you read the tea leaves. And who led the way this gen with bc?
  • A very good chance that 343 mucks up Halo: Infinite. Another hot take...naughty dog could easily fuck up last of us
  • Xbox One has irreparably damaged the brand. X1x is the sorry letter...you release a great console at the right price with right lineup at the start people will buy...look at ps3 launch
  • Nintendo is back and better than ever, and can differentiate themselves from Sony in ways that Microsoft can only dream of. And why do you think ms is being friendly with them...gamepass/streaming is the perfect thing for the switch
  • Europe and Japan aren't interested in Xbox. Japan yes....Europe not so much.
  • 11 vs 9 teraflop difference will not be as pronounced as 6 vs 4 was this time--and it's not like the PS4 Pro was a bad machine or anything.people will move the goalposts around to whatever benefits the argument ...most of thelastword threads are this in a nutshell
  • The PC will get all the big Xbox games, and a PC is likely a better investment for power-crazed gamers.yes but ms are not focused on a single box...they are focused on a brand and service
I would be more worried about Sony fucking things up as they have really shown nothing these last few years and the inside money is on the new console being vr focused with the usual Sony software drought that all of their consoles have had at launch.

Not something you really want when your competition is ticking the boxes

get out with your logic! you dont belong in this thread!

Saruhashi

Banned
I think that they face an uphill battle.

If you look at Nintendo you can see that the way they have stayed relevant is on the strength of their exclusive games.
This is followed in second place by their consoles since Gambecube offering "something different".

XBox is right now seemingly just competing with Playstation on the strength of console power and the value for money of GamePass.

If the new XBox is able to launch with an amazing exclusive game that has loads of replay-ability then that could be a big leveler.
Price is going to make a big difference there too.
Performance might come into it but realistically people are looking at games first unless the performance difference is significant and noticeable.

meirl

Banned
God, I can only hope in my heart of hearts there is.

Going off this:

Hardly unreasonable.

its not only about more TFs, Series X also supports RDNA 2.0, PS5 only has RDNA 1.0, also Series X has dedicated hardware cores for Ray Tracing, whereas PS5 has not. PS5 uses shared hardware for RT.

Series X will win EVERY multiplat DF thread easily.

SquillieDee

Microsoft might very well take it on the chin even harder in the next generation than they did in this one. Why?

Off the top of my head:
  • Two Xbox systems, with one that sucks, creating consumer confusion and developer disgust
  • Sony buying experienced AAA developers like Insomniac, instead of "plucky" little squads like Obsidian and Ninja Theory.
  • Sony's BC looks to be the real deal...and then some if you read the tea leaves.
  • Nintendo is back and better than ever, and can differentiate themselves from Sony in ways that Microsoft can only dream of.
  • 11 vs 9 teraflop difference will not be as pronounced as 6 vs 4 was this time--and it's not like the PS4 Pro was a bad machine or anything.
  • The PC will get all the big Xbox games, and a PC is likely a better investment for power-crazed gamers.

I love my Xbox One X, and the Series X looks quite good, but the more I look at the dynamics this time around, the worse I think it gets for Microsoft.

Huge thanks to Don Mattrick and his horrendous regime for relegating a promising brand to the ash heap of history. Pricks.

My brain hurts, this is some of the dumbest shit i've ever read. A whole lot of assumptions going on here...

ZywyPL

Banned
Fun fact: both Sony and MS are making BILLIONS on PS4/XB1 every single year, yes - BOTH of them.

So I don't know, maybe NeoGaf is full of trillionaires, to which a mere couple of billions a year is considered a loss, a fail, an absolute disaster and humiliation. But just because there is someone else doing slightly better than you doesn't mean you have to pack your bags and go home you know.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
From my perspective Microsoft has never been more awake. Backward compatibility via insertion of a game disc was a huge show of good faith for me... and frankly even if Sony offers it we’ll need to give Microsoft credit for being a good competitor and making that happen.

I think if they launched a “Lockhart” 1 year or so after the launch of Series X ... comes with a few months of their “Game Pass Ultimate”... maybe beats PS5 by 100USD or so... they’re in a decent position to do better than they did this generation. I don’t think they will outsell PlayStation but they don’t need to.

They’ve got a guy at the top who has his head on straight... we can’t really emphasize too much how important that is.

Lone Wolf

The functionality isn't the issue. Its the messaging being all over the place.

Examples:

You can game anywhere with Xbox thanks to the power of the cloud, oh, and btw here's the most extravagantly powerful (and assuredly most expensive) console we've ever built.

Hey, here's the new Halo. Hey, here's the latest version of MS Flight Simulator.

Here's Gamepass for Xbox, and over here is Gamepass for PC.

Its scattershot. They are trying to appeal to everyone at the same time and its getting confused and unwieldy.

And I'm sorry, but if any other platform holder had released/announced the number of variant SKU's that MS has over the last few years, the ghost of late 90's SEGA would have cropped up before now in the conversation. Whats more worrying is that its only going to get worse if we enter a period where not only are the 3 surviving Xbox One SKU's are sitting on shelves, but potentially two next gen Xboxes, plus the same content available on PC and other devics via the cloud!

What. The. Fuck.
Wow you made it much more complicated than it actually is.
it’s simple. Microsoft makes a game. Game is available for Xbox consoles, PCs, and streaming On nearly any device you own. Chances are you have the ability to play said game using one of these many options. You get game using one of these options. You play, MS gets money. Done.

Shin

Banned
I guess this is to counter-balance Freedom Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co. 's thread on PS5 being doomed. And it's equally as ridiculous :LOL:

You guys need to chill out and put the spears down; no need for console warfare right now.
That's the thing, people on forums can't just game they need to stick a brand to it.
And if you don't join their posse you're automatically a fanboy of the other side.
No no you can't just like tech, games, hardware, software - you gotta choose or we'll choose for you.

Sums it up in a nutshell looking from outside in for this generation as I didn't purchase any consoles.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
dude, there are going to be TWO (2) SKUs, whats the problem? also, who says they are going to launch with two skus? it could be that they are going to launch with just the series X and later on, a year later or so, they will release the series S. whats the problem? seriously. You are trying to create a problem, where there is no problem at all. this is getting ridiculous. according to you iphone users should be even more confused with iphone 11, X, XS, 11 pro, iPad Pro, iPad, Apple Watch Series 5, lte, etc.

we are just talking about 2 fucking SKUs. stop with this crap

On top of the 3 existing SKU's. And the multiple online services.

Try talking to somebody outside of the gaming bubble. Explain to them which thing they should buy.

Stop defending bad marketing. Its a mess and you know it.

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
On top of the 3 existing SKU's. And the multiple online services.

Try talking to somebody outside of the gaming bubble. Explain to them which thing they should buy.

Stop defending bad marketing. Its a mess and you know it.

what 3 existing SKUs? do you really think they will still sell xbox one, xbox one S and xbox one digital? lol

AGAIN, who is saying that MS will sell everything? I think there will be one xbox one X and xbox Series X next holiday, thats it. where is the problem with that?

STOP MAKING SHIT UP, its a lie and you know it. MS didnt even mention series S at all, only Series X, thats it and A FACT.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

Off the top of my head:

I agree with everything, with the exception of Don Mattrick……….XBONE would have had a better generation of games and exclusives if Good Ol Don was around......People may not like his personality and facial expressions but Don has a better gaming head than smiling Phil...….2013 was definitely not all on DON, I happen to think it was more the higher ups and Phil rather than Don....

What's more.....Don did "Stunts" For DOS, so yes, he is more than ok in my book....

I wholeheartedly disagree. I think Microsoft will have another X360 type generation. I expect them to do VERY well next gen.
I think the mistake many people make is using the 360 generation to determine what they expect from MS in a good gen......RROD blurred the waters to how successful 360 really was, there was a 54% defect ratio....So take 360's 86 million units and minus 54% and you have the real ballpark for MS consoles......People entered the 2013 gen, thinking that MS had 86 million in them, but realistically they never did if we weigh all the details.....

I think a realistic figure for XBOX minus something like RROD, with no issues, is about 40-50 million units. Optimistically, maybe 60 with a slew of good games, but I doubt that as well, seeing all their wares are on PC, so we're back to a more realistic 40-50 million units for the brand.....

Great Hair

Banned
Microsoft has yet to accomplish something on their own. With all the funding, their consoles have outright flopped or had other malfunctioning features. They don´t care about the well-being of the gamer nor the standard set prior them joining.

It´s all about how much people spend on their services (Xbox, Xbox Live, Xbox Gamepass, Xbox Gamepass PC, Xbox&PC Gamepass Extreme, Office 365, Windows 10 "ads" ... etc.).

Microsoft has shown this generation how inept they are, in every aspect. Never have we seen a company backtrack, change so many times like Microsoft this gen and they are way worse in terms of monetization post launch than any other company out there.

Since Ryse 2013, all their games came with or have been "patched with micro transactions" after getting good scores. Every microsoft game is full of them, wanna bet that Flight Simulator has some too?

Can they do better? Of course they can, but if they will. But most of the gamers already own a Xbox Series X. Microsoft gave up on their own fanbase, told them to fuck off ... "we dont care where you play our games" ... yeah OF COURSE YA DONT DOFUS!

Research and Development costs are FREE RIGHT?! The Xbone APU cost them allegedly close to $3 billion. They might have the stronger console, but Software is what matters to me and Sony has delivered since 1994, with some ups and downs.

Bet people in russia are still eagerly awaiting some of that promised :
"build partnerships to bring apps and meaningful local content to each country."

Right now, Microsoft has only one proposition and that´s Gamepass. Maybe this time, they´ll launch only in 13 states ;=)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
what 3 existing SKUs? do you really think they will still sell xbox one, xbox one S and xbox one digital? lol

Yes, there's typically a year's overlap at least as "live" product in primary markets. Longer in less-developed/emerging markets. Boxed product often persists in retail channels for years, and software support isn't turned off like a tap.

AGAIN, who is saying that MS will sell everything? I think there will be one xbox one X and xbox Series X next holiday, thats it. where is the problem with that?

So wait, they are going to keep the two highest cost SKU's and summarily ditch the entry-level ones? Think about it. Especially given that emphasis that they are placing on the digital/streaming ecosystem an original Xbox one will remain viable for users of GamePass for years to come.

STOP MAKING SHIT UP, its a lie and you know it. MS didnt even mention series S at all, only Series X, thats it and A FACT.

You admit yourself that you don't actually know what their launch line-up is going to be, yet you are adamant that against all precedent and reason that the current Xbox line-up is going to vanish from public and media consciousness the second that the new machines hit the market!

I'm not making anything up. Just offering simple, rational observations based on fact, precedent and existing information.

EDIT:
I just saw the MCV piece where Matt Booty lays out how they aren't planning any next-gen exclusives for the next two year. haha.

Last edited:

SNG32

If your looking in terms of hardware then they won't do good as sony. But from a service persepective this has always been there greatest strength and having gamepass on pc now will make it bigger. I honestly feel that this is probably going to be the last console in terms of hardware that they release If gamepass is a big success. I can see them providing it as a service with other console competitors and still having exclusives through that platform to reach a wider base.

tr1p1ex

MS has a chance. Every new generation resets everything and MS has deep pockets. A lot of times the past leaders stumble. Probably more times than not.

You just don't know what they have up their sleeve and whether these things we haven't heard of it will be big hits or not.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
MS has a chance. Every new generation resets everything and MS has deep pockets. A lot of times the past leaders stumble. Probably more times than not.

You just don't know what they have up their sleeve and whether these things we haven't heard of it will be big hits or not.

Every generation does not reset ppls thinking and tht mind share tht has been built up with quality exclusives and hardware.

Even with ps3 the only reason Sony suffered was bcus thy took big losses in every console not because it didn't sell. Ps3 upon its release at hundreds more, inferior multiplats, image of inferior online and online actually going down for months still outsold 360 world wide almost every single month through its life. Tht speaks volumes. Guys we have history here this isn't made up shit.

I'm not saying Microsoft is fucked but they just don't have the market share or minds sharé Sony does with Playstation. Microsoft seems poised to do well though if thy keep up the consumer friendly momentum.

Last edited:

lachesis

I hope they'd do better this gen. I love having multiple systems and especially when they duke out with excellent exclusives on each side.

Right now things are looking down because of the lost "momentum" from 360 days - they have to re-build from behind. Tough situation - but never now what may happen. A few well-placed exclusives, competitive pricing and hardware superiority may turn things around for them a bit - but to be honest, I have very little hope for them in Asian market, especially Japan.

PocoJoe

Banned
I hope they do better, but I'm always cautious about MS.

- GamePass seems like amazing value, but in my opinion it devalues games - You don't own shit, you may or may not like the library they are pushing & there's an expiry date on the content. I know I'm in the 1% here saying this, but it's honestly how I feel. I don't want to see them go down the route of using GamePass exclusively. I think that's a horrible idea and the writing is already on the wall with big releases being day one GamePass. Talk about the DRM fiasco back in 2013....This is the exact same thing but in different clothes.
- They will drop a product fast if sales aren't smashing it. Look at the 360 or now with the Xbox One....Revealing XsEX now is pretty much typical MS. You won't hear shit from them about XB1 come E3, leaving 40 odd million users of that piece of hardware in the dust.

MS have other problems aside to my own personal opinion about the XBOX. The PlayStation brand is a fucking monster frankly and I don't see them overcoming that hurdle....All Sony's First Party content plus marketing exclusivity with FIFA, CoD and the like?.....MS have a mountain to climb. But then who knows, they may strike gold with a couple of games that's exclusive to their system and they get a decent foothold.

Yeah it devaluates games, like why would you buy 50-70€ game if on game pass it is "almost free"?

I skipped Outer worlds because fuck them bastards, I'm not gonna pay more than 5e for the ps4 version when the devs say "yeah our game is so worthless that it costs almost nothing on xbox".

Any game on game pass = worth of max 5€, that is the message to me.

I know it doesnt probably mean that, but that is the feeling they really give. If they dont respect or believe in their product, I dont either.

So instead of buying it used or from sale for 20-40€, now I just wait until it is 5-10€.

They should just sell it for 5-10€ on launch if they think it aint worth more

eot

Banned
History has showed that the performance in one gen has little to no bearing on the next one. On the other hand, Sony are three for four when it comes to successful consoles, Microsoft is one for three, maybe one and a half.

I agree with everything, with the exception of Don Mattrick……….XBONE would have had a better generation of games and exclusives if Good Ol Don was around......People may not like his personality and facial expressions but Don has a better gaming head than smiling Phil...….2013 was definitely not all on DON, I happen to think it was more the higher ups and Phil rather than Don....

What's more.....Don did "Stunts" For DOS, so yes, he is more than ok in my book....

pOWxdVo.gif

93xfan

Banned
*looks at thread title*

Is this some sort of secret PS fanboy meeting? Is the password, “U R not E”?

imagine the “E” in red. Either way, I love the “don’t talk about raytracing” bit.

Let’s start a “is Sony hosed, don’t talk about exclusives” thread.

93xfan

Banned
Console-wise they showed they were serious and a force to be reckoned with last generation. A serious and worthy contender to Sony and the Playstation. That all changed with the Xbox One and if anything, I think they are making themselves less relevant constantly.

Yeah, their upcoming console may very well show to be more powerful than the PS5 but who cares except for a handful of people on Neogaf?

Sure, anything can happen - we've seen that many times before - but my belief is that their approach to consoles, exclusives, gaming and PCs makes the Xbox as a console much less relevant to the console gamers than Sony (and Nintendo, on the handheld side but that's a completely different market).

I find it extremely hard to believe that the next Xbox will be the go-to console for a majority of the players. Everyone I know that had an Xbox 360 bought a PS4 and couldn't care less about the Xbox brand anymore.

But who knows, it would be cool to see some healthy competition and I'd love to be surprised!

The number of Digital Foundry viewers alone shows it matters more than that.

We will just have to wait and see how big the difference is and if the new Halo is good.

Chiggs

My brain hurts, this is some of the dumbest shit i've ever read. A whole lot of assumptions going on here...

What else can we do besides make assumptions? None of us have time machines. This is a video game forum where we discuss games and the games industry. You’re acting like I’m off topic or something.

We will just have to wait and see how big the difference is and if the new Halo is good.
Yeah of course, but I think a lot of people watching are just curious. I know I am, and I think new technology is absolutely fascinating even if I have no intention of buying it.

What I meant was that I genuinely don't believe having a couple of extra teraflops over the PS5 will make any difference in sales, or make the Xbox relevant again. But yeah I could be wrong obviously and it's going to be super exciting!

But that is what I believe anyway :messenger_grinning:

93xfan

Banned
Yeah of course, but I think a lot of people watching are just curious. I know I am, and I think new technology is absolutely fascinating even if I have no intention of buying it.

What I meant was that I genuinely don't believe having a couple of extra teraflops over the PS5 will make any difference in sales, or make the Xbox relevant again. But yeah I could be wrong obviously and it's going to be super exciting!

But that is what I believe anyway :messenger_grinning:

fair enough. I may focus too much on tech myself, rather than the games, but as an early adopter I do want the most powerful console. It’s exciting to have the biggest wow factor possible when I boot up the system on launch day.

Other things could sway me, such as Socom 2 HD or a PS1/PS2 emulation that rivals what PC emulators are doing.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Does it really? Or it is exactly proving the point? Really, if lyou look closely at the numbers, all their next-gen info/rumor/leak/speculation videos have like 200-350k views, that nothing, literally NOTHING in the greater picture of ~150 PS+XB users, let alone the whole gaming industry, which is said to be around TWO BILLIONS. The PS vs XB comparisons have even less, like 150-200k views. This very forum, which is arguably the biggest gaming community out there has laughable 140k users (from which many are just recently registered kids just to play their stupid console wars, literally tens new trolls appear every single day as of recently in all of the PS5/XBX threads). And again, not all of those 140k care that much either, many of people here are PC-only guys who aren't interested into consoles at all to begin with.

Price, price, and once again price matters in the grand scheme of everything, if an average Joe wants to play GTA6 and he stands between playing GTA for 500 and playing GTA for 600, he will choose the former 99.99% of the time. There's a reason mobile gaming is so damn dominant, because entry point is literally none, almost everyone on the globe has a smartphone nowadays, people don't have to buy dedicated hardware just for playing games like it was the case back in the days with Gameboy, PSP etc., so now there's literally a couple of billion potential customers, and the revenue clearly shows that.

Now same thing applies for consoles, hell, especially for consoles, because they are not so universal as smartphones/laptops/PC, they do mostly just just one job - play video games, and that's the sole place where the revenue comes from. All the execs, all the engineers, analytics, literally DIRECTLY involved into console hardware openly admits that the console alone NEVER make up for themselves, even if they aren't sold at a loss there are billions of dollars spent all their R&D for years prior the actual market release, and those costs are simply impossible to be redeemed just by the hardware sales, it's basically an investment.

Now, people wonder, how on earth MS went from such a dominant position they had with X360, to where they are now basically over one night. Well 100$, that's what happen. Because sure, we can laugh all day about "TV1 TV! TV!" and so on, but at the end of the day, XB1 had the exact same games as the PS4 - CoD was there, arguably the biggest game of entire PS360 era, that was so recognized with the XB brand, with the same/new XB controller, over the same XBL, And all it took kwas just 100$ to all the average Joes to turn around and go for the PS4, that even had paid online this time around, as oppose to PS3. Same applies to the other usual suspects like FoFa, GTA, Assasin etc. Because in reality, nobody can't tell the real difference in performance, and all those people watching DF videos only prove that, because they didn't need to if they could see a game is running 180p lower by just watching the game on a TV screen during actual gameplay, as oppose to static shots with 300% zoom on it. Sure, the pixel counting is a very nice tool for the kids in their console wars, but everyone, especially average consumer can't tell the real difference, nor he cares.

So again, if an average Joe will want to play GTA6, and he will stand between the choice of 4k60 HDR vs 4k60 HDR, which console will he choose? The cheaper one, obviously. Even a mere 50$ difference will be huge, especially at launch, at it will translate into additional game he will leave the shop with. Right? Why not just settle for GTA6, if I can have CoD as well in the same price? The cheaper console, as always, will dominate, the extra power and features might be a factor for guys like you and me, but for the whole market? I really don't think so. unless Sony or MS will have a feature that's really not available elsewhere, and that will be actually utilized by every single title, not just a bunch of 1st part titles every now and there, but as of now, all the signs indicate there will be little to no difference between the two consoles. Unless both are priced exactly the same, then the guys from the marketing will have a really tough job do to to convince the consumers into their system rather than the other.

Bryank75

Banned
I thought it would do great with the specs, design and new studios but with that announcement that games will be cross gen for 2 or 3 years.... what's the point?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I thought it would do great with the specs, design and new studios but with that announcement that games will be cross gen for 2 or 3 years.... what's the point?

Now factor in what I've been saying about the marketing and the plethora of SKU's with vaguely differentiated names...

Top Bottom