• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post real things that look futuristic

Status
Not open for further replies.
China Central Television Headquarters

ibmoZ4fAVcA7cH.jpg

i7A1YMaeKlZ1v.jpg

iErAgoANfvdJ2.jpg

i8X85wjBn9d83.jpg

i9Yxg2EUc7nnY.jpg

ibsEzW0cNL1pFf.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
I feel like I'm gonna get cancer from looking at this.

If you ever saw Cherenkov glow in person, you'd be dead soon from the radiation dose. At least, as far as i know, it requires quite a bit of radiation for the glow to be visible.

EDIT also, i was going to post image about a dome city or some such but then i realized they ain't actually real... bah.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
822857809827445798.gif

tech_future_flexible_display_smartphone.gif

stash_1_5104d590471ce.gif

flexdisplay.gif

What I like about this is not only is it one of those techs that's been sprinkled into futuristic sci-fi movies to give a sense of technological advancement over present day because of how cool looking it is, but I don't think the idea was even conceived of until not that long ago. I mean touch-based screens have been a staple of sci-fi movies for a number of decades, but flexible interactive screens? That shit still seems solidly sci-fi.....and here it is.

tkscz

enhmGqg.jpg

The Hal 5 is an actual functioning exoskeleton that can be rented in Japan. Was originally created to allow a paralyzed old man to walk again.

Woorloog

Banned
80's/early 90's cyberpunk future is the best and only future.

and it's coming true

The "funny" thing is that biological augmentation, transhumanism, NGOs getting more and more power, increased surveillance, terrorism, and all that (common themes and things in cyberpunk) is also either true already, or getting bigger, or becoming more and more likely.
Unfortunately that shit tends to be, as far as i know, rather dystopic.

Woorloog

Banned
Crappy hologram arcade game from the 90s.

What, actual volumetric display game? I don't doubt it was crappy though, for some reason...
I take it volumetric displays are technically way too complicated to have become anything more than a curiosity so far.

And i'm calling them volumetric displays, since they aren't necessarily holographs.

EDIT wait wait. The video makes it look like it is 2d images but shown in a way that gives an illusion of them being 3-dimensional. EDIT quick checking from Wikipedia indicates this is actually the case, CRT monitor and a huge curved mirror...
Hmm. Kind of cool for sure. Also gimmicky as mentioned.

Enzom21

What, actual volumetric display game? I don't doubt it was crappy though, for some reason...
I take it volumetric displays are technically way too complicated to have become anything more than a curiosity so far.

And i'm calling them volumetric displays, since they aren't necessarily holographs.

EDIT wait wait. The video makes it look like it is 2d images but shown in a way that gives an illusion of them being 3-dimensional.
Hmm. Kind of cool for sure. Also gimmicky as mentioned.

I should have put hologram in quotes.
The game uses a special arcade cabinet that projects the game's characters using refraction, making them appear free-standing. The "holographic" effect is an optical illusion using a huge curved mirror and a CRT television set. Characters appear as tiny images about five inches (12.7 cm) tall, standing in mid-air in a manner similar to the volumetric projections seen in the Star Wars movies.

Time Traveler had a non-standard shape for an upright arcade cabinet. Though the game is played standing up the cabinet is larger and shorter resembling an oversized cocktail design (50"Hx43"Wx45"D) (H: 127 cm; W: 109.2 cm; D: 114.3 cm). It doesn't have a monitor but instead uses a flat, dark stage called the "Micro-theater",[1] which was invented by engineers Steve Zuloff and Barry Benjamin. The Micro-theater is composed of a big concave mirror that lies underneath the stage. Along with it, a 20 inch (50.8 cm) Sony TV sits in front of the mirror. The player controls are located on top of the TV equipment. A couple of neon colored geometric blocks placed at the back of the stage serves as the only background for the game. It is decorated with white formica all around and with a tall "SEGA Hologram Time Traveler" sign on its back.

Yes it was very crappy, like most FMV games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom