• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Your Music [OT]

Punks

This thread is dedicated to all the musicians on GAF who write and record their own music. This is a place we can share our music creations.
Here's my contribution. I released these recently. Feedback appreciated. Don't forget to share yours and keep this thread going as we create new music.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Moved to Off-Topic Main. Looking forward to hearing everyone's stuff. :D

P Punks , nice work. I'm not great with the necessary jargon of technical aspects of music theory/critique, so pardon if I fumble through this part. The only thing that stood out to me was the key of your vocals (for these purposes I'll assume they're your vocals; no idea) not really changing over the course of the track, and the next one had a similar issue but in a different starting key it seemed. In terms of beat and melody your stuff seems strong. Hope that helps.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Last edited:

lil puff

Anyone remember GAME? I was involved with that. I created the name of it. It would be nice to do that again. Great thread. I'll be back. I have lame songs too.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
@Rubx if you turned the vocals down 2-5 db. On both songs. How do you generate your beats?
Those were just canned beats that came with the app, nothing made by me, I just did the random ass vocals on top of them.

Posting them was much more satire than anything, I don't have much music creation skills to speak of sadly.

Dark Star

If anyone wants to collaborate HMU on twitter :

https://twitter.com/slowdeathhooks

i produce beats/instrumentals for underground artists using softwares and DAW's like Fl Studio, and i'm always looking to create and network with others. I play guitar and piano as well. I lease my instrumentals on sites like Traktrain and Beat Stars as well, under 95dank.

Last edited:

lil puff

I use Cubase and damn I am having some problems with this thing called Loopmash2 which I haven't used regularly.

It's a mess.

What DAWs do you guys use? And it would be nice to hear what plugins you like. I am a huge fan of Klanghelm and UAD.

DarkStar maybe one day, I will hit you up for some guitar licks?

Last edited:

lil puff

i am going to make sure this thread stays up. I will try.

There are other things to obesess over than race and politics.

I Got the Loopmash thing to work.

Ichabod

Banned
Cool thread! Looking forward to listening to everyone's stuff. I use Ableton and make electronic music under the same name as my GAF handle. I haven't made anything new in awhile due to work related travel, but I'll finally be setting down roots again within the next couple of months and I plan on getting my home studio back up and running asap.
Here's my stuff.

Gander

Banned
You shouldn't give it up but the important thing about making hip-hop is you have to have depth. Always start thinking about a meaning behind the meaning. Both in your production and lyrics.

TrainedRage

Banned
This thread is dedicated to all the musicians on GAF who write and record their own music. This is a place we can share our music creations.
Here's my contribution. I released these recently. Feedback appreciated. Don't forget to share yours and keep this thread going as we create new music.

Nice job my man! What do you use to record? Do you play or just sing? Band or DAW? Not my 'style' of music but it's listenable, and I can understand the lyrics, that's a bonus. (y)

ilfait

Cool thread! Looking forward to listening to everyone's stuff. I use Ableton and make electronic music under the same name as my GAF handle. I haven't made anything new in awhile due to work related travel, but I'll finally be setting down roots again within the next couple of months and I plan on getting my home studio back up and running asap.
Here's my stuff.
Liking this a lot. Appreciate the use of Secret of Mana, Earthbound, SotC and FLCL art too.

Dark Star

This is nice! I try and make ambient down tempo too! Very nice dude. What do you use as a controller? I have a Allen & Heath XONE:DX, Roland TR-808 and an Arturia Micro Brute. I use Itch as a DAW. I'm interested to hear how you make this.

Thanks man! I use an Akai LPD mini for the drums and percussion, and Fl Studio to layer, track and create pattern playlist. I have a yamaha ypg midi line in that i use for keys and synths. Realistically i could create most of what i do with just a laptop and DAW vst and plugins like Nexus, but there is an organic feel that comes with using analog. I don't master my tracks, just straight up leveling to mix it, that keeps the dynamics intact IMO.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Here's my stuff.

Been having your Soundcloud on since I woke up and breaking out into dance in between working so props :goog_cool:

ymoc

Aaaaaa fellow musicians and music loves!!! :D

I would comment more on everyone's music, but your music tastes, the genres you work in are so different from mine that I don't feel like I can give much comments apart from just telling you you are making great stuff, you wonderful talented and passionate people!

I'm no professional. I do some little projects here and there more as a hobby, nothing in the gaming industry at least, would love to though :D

I have been toying with this song for the past couple of weeks. Time has been short, I was busy with work and life in general, so the mastering on this track was more like "Is it loud enough in general? Alrighty then". There's definitely some peaking going on in some places, and other parts could be louder...maybe?... lol
Yah I'm no mastering engineer so my forte is more in composing stuff.
And I suck/HATE naming things. Seriously, it's the goddamn bane of me.
Clicky here for some nice music :D

I'm a big geek so of course the track is game inspired, stuff like Deus Ex, Mirror's Edge, that kind of stuff. Those juicy big synths. Mmmmmmmmm :drooling:

Some of you are more knowledgable about music production in general than I am (pease skip my embarrasing next part), but I imagine some of the rest are not.
So for them, here is a little insight into how crafting such a track looks like. (excuse the blurriness)
Basically it's like a big puzzle. Write a tune in midi format (those short or long lines, which are really just music notes in visual format) and then apply sounds to them. Then twist and stir those sounds into a pleasant mix. Eazy peazy HAHAHA-HA----ha-----ha.............ha ;(
Wavy red lines are automation parameters for things like - let's open higher frequencies for this sound and then let's close them up again....or let's pan this sound to the left and now to the right.....etc.
At the bottom is a track's effect rack. So wonderful. You can lose years of your life down there...... whatyearisthis.jpg

About my particular song: all in all the song is composed of around 15 tracks total. Not a huge number. I find it best to keep things smaller. Easier to mix.
I know I could arrange my tracks a little better, but this happens when I make one track and then start making a new one in the same file. Then I add a few instruments here and there and I end up with things where they shouldn't be :p
Actually, by my standards, this project isn't so bad. You should've seen some of my older projects :p

I saw someone asking what plugins we like to use.
Well I got the Native Instruments Komplete 11 so I use a lot of that. DAW is Abletone Live 9 (is ver 10 even worth it???). For this track I used Native Instrument's Massive for the lead synths, Reaktor and Massive for the bass. Oh yah, white noise is made with Massive too. There's Orbit for some background stuff (or is it Eclipse? not sure). Percussion is a mix of Action Strikes (come at me!) and Evolve Mutations.... what else is there....Piano is also from Native Instrument - The Gentleman. I threw in a few measures of my super dooper electric guitar (lol) recorded via my trusty cheap Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and running it through Guitar Rig in my DAW. Juicy SWEEEEEET....my weird Gollum humor kicks in sometimes, I apologize.
Reverbs are mostly from NI too, Reflektor for extra space, many delays, default DAW ones but mostly NI's Replica (so nice)....EQs, limiters and compressors are mostly default DAW plugins, maybe a few from Softube here and there?
I think that's pretty much it.
Happy to answer any questions as best as I can. Also really appreciate any inputs, especially mixing and mastering suggestions.

Let's keep this thread alive people! CHOP CHOP! :D

Last edited:

Catphish

I'm not very prolific, but I have a couple things to share.

Here's a cover of Pink Floyd's Brain Damage and Eclipse that me and a buddy did. He did the guitar and the video presentation, I did vocals and everything else, using Mixcraft 7.

ymoc

Here's a cover of Pink Floyd's Brain Damage and Eclipse that me and a buddy did. He did the guitar and the video presentation, I did vocals and everything else, using Mixcraft 7.

Really nice. I like it :D Crazy bastard. I just wish your vocals were a few DB louder sometimes (especially the first half). I'm nitpicking a bit, sorry :) But just because you have nice voice and an amazing laugh :p
I love when people have fun when doing music.

Catphish

Thanks, man!

You're right on the vocals, and I would use a different drum kit we're I ever to remix it, but the original files are gone. :(

Really nice. I like it :D Crazy bastard. I just wish your vocals were a few DB louder sometimes (especially the first half). I'm nitpicking a bit, sorry :) But just because you have nice voice and an amazing laugh :p
I love when people have fun when doing music.

TrainedRage

Banned

Dude your vocals are great!!! Love it!

ilfait

Aaaaaa fellow musicians and music loves!!! :D

I would comment more on everyone's music, but your music tastes, the genres you work in are so different from mine that I don't feel like I can give much comments apart from just telling you you are making great stuff, you wonderful talented and passionate people!

I'm no professional. I do some little projects here and there more as a hobby, nothing in the gaming industry at least, would love to though :D

I have been toying with this song for the past couple of weeks. Time has been short, I was busy with work and life in general, so the mastering on this track was more like "Is it loud enough in general? Alrighty then". There's definitely some peaking going on in some places, and other parts could be louder...maybe?... lol
Yah I'm no mastering engineer so my forte is more in composing stuff.
And I suck/HATE naming things. Seriously, it's the goddamn bane of me.
Clicky here for some nice music :D

I'm a big geek so of course the track is game inspired, stuff like Deus Ex, Mirror's Edge, that kind of stuff. Those juicy big synths. Mmmmmmmmm :drooling:

Some of you are more knowledgable about music production in general than I am (pease skip my embarrasing next part), but I imagine some of the rest are not.
So for them, here is a little insight into how crafting such a track looks like. (excuse the blurriness)
Basically it's like a big puzzle. Write a tune in midi format (those short or long lines, which are really just music notes in visual format) and then apply sounds to them. Then twist and stir those sounds into a pleasant mix. Eazy peazy HAHAHA-HA----ha-----ha.............ha ;(
Wavy red lines are automation parameters for things like - let's open higher frequencies for this sound and then let's close them up again....or let's pan this sound to the left and now to the right.....etc.
At the bottom is a track's effect rack. So wonderful. You can lose years of your life down there...... whatyearisthis.jpg

About my particular song: all in all the song is composed of around 15 tracks total. Not a huge number. I find it best to keep things smaller. Easier to mix.
I know I could arrange my tracks a little better, but this happens when I make one track and then start making a new one in the same file. Then I add a few instruments here and there and I end up with things where they shouldn't be :p
Actually, by my standards, this project isn't so bad. You should've seen some of my older projects :p

I saw someone asking what plugins we like to use.
Well I got the Native Instruments Komplete 11 so I use a lot of that. DAW is Abletone Live 9 (is ver 10 even worth it???). For this track I used Native Instrument's Massive for the lead synths, Reaktor and Massive for the bass. Oh yah, white noise is made with Massive too. There's Orbit for some background stuff (or is it Eclipse? not sure). Percussion is a mix of Action Strikes (come at me!) and Evolve Mutations.... what else is there....Piano is also from Native Instrument - The Gentleman. I threw in a few measures of my super dooper electric guitar (lol) recorded via my trusty cheap Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and running it through Guitar Rig in my DAW. Juicy SWEEEEEET....my weird Gollum humor kicks in sometimes, I apologize.
Reverbs are mostly from NI too, Reflektor for extra space, many delays, default DAW ones but mostly NI's Replica (so nice)....EQs, limiters and compressors are mostly default DAW plugins, maybe a few from Softube here and there?
I think that's pretty much it.
Happy to answer any questions as best as I can. Also really appreciate any inputs, especially mixing and mastering suggestions.

Let's keep this thread alive people! CHOP CHOP! :D
Sounds very professional. Wouldn't be out of place in a high profile game or movie.

Punks

Been hearing some of the stuff posted. Good work everyone. I mainly use Propellerhead Reason to do my stuff. Has everything I need, along with some nice built-in synthesizers.

Airola

Can't sing well enough and can't play instruments well enough so I make electronic music.

I used to be very much into making MIDI music, but currently I'm using tracker based software for everything I do (Jeskola Buzz is my thing!)

In 2016 I fulfilled one of my dreams and saved enough money to make an actual physical release.
At first I thought I'm only able to release it on c-cassette but I saved enough money to make a vinyl record.
Here's two songs from it:

I made 100 copies and have sold somewhere around 70 of them - which is great as I was afraid I would not be able to sell more than 1/3 of them and would have to keep most in my home forever taking space.
I made a sampler video of the album when I released it but I think I can't post it here as it might be seen as an advertisement.
Most of my stuff are on Bandcamp but I'm not sure if we're allowed to put links to sites like that - could be again seen as self-advertisement.

Last edited:

ymoc

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Can't sing well enough and can't play instruments well enough so I make electronic music.

I used to be very much into making MIDI music, but currently I'm using tracker based software for everything I do (Jeskola Buzz is my thing!)

In 2016 I fulfilled one of my dreams and saved enough money to make an actual physical release.
At first I thought I'm only able to release it on c-cassette but I saved enough money to make a vinyl record.
Here's two songs from it:

I made 100 copies and have sold somewhere around 70 of them - which is great as I was afraid I would not be able to sell more than 1/3 of them and would have to keep most in my home forever taking space.
I made a sampler video of the album when I released it but I think I can't post it here as it might be seen as an advertisement.
Most of my stuff are on Bandcamp but I'm not sure if we're allowed to put links to sites like that - could be again seen as self-advertisement.

Commercial self-promotion is a tricky subject here, since we don't want shills posting in inauthentic/insincere ways. Official policy is: "no, unless EviLore says yes." I try to look out for indies, particularly, and make corporate shills and astroturfers eat shit, historically. :goog_geek:

You have permission to post your links once in this thread, since your music is legit. Beyond that please follow the rules as normal. However, if you'd like a custom title for your account that points to a link of your choice, please PM me and I will sort you out. That way, you can get exposure for your work without "shilling" on the site with your individual posts. Everyone wins, yeah? Thanks. :goog_giggle:

Ichabod Ichabod same for you btw. PM me.

Last edited:

ymoc

It's actually part of what I consider a trilogy of 3 short orchestral pieces I wrote.

That makes more sense yah :)
That top video has some funky text though, not suited to the music. Much better when you did a video, but I know that takes a lot of time.
Did you consider adding vocals to your track? Seems it's written as a ballad song so it would improve things considerably.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Used to make beats and whatnot. This is the only thing I found while digging through my stuff about 5 years ago and posted it on soundcloud. Be gentle.

Last edited:

lil puff

Can't wait to have some time to listen thru these tracks.

I tend to have acoustic/room issues that get in the way of the creative.
So I spend too much time rebalancing, second guessing, messing with kick and bass.
Rotate headphones and monitors and rebalance.
I repeat that cycle over and over again, while adding musical bits here and there.

It's not particularly very productive to say the least.

For years, I had underestimated sonics and spent $$ on plugins thinking they would make it easier. They only create more variables and reasons to not stay focused.

lil puff

Snoopycat Snoopycat damn. It took awhile to settle in, but wow it did settle in. Very nice.

Johnbeam Johnbeam . Thats the kinda music I want to make. Miami synths

I love Airola Airola music too.

There is nothing here that I did not like.

Punks. Damn. Very colorful music.

Top Bottom