• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post your Stadia setup

PrimeX

Hi fellow gamers!
I wanted for some time to write this but was always overwhelmed by the GAF negativity on the subject.
A bit of background before: I am in my 40s and have been a gamer all my life. Started with a Commodore-like computer running Basic games in the post-communist Romania.
Upgraded to a 386 and then AMD 486 barely running Diablo I. It was a PC-driven gaming life since then until family "struck" and I had no time for complex gaming anymore. That's when I bought my Wii followed by the WiiU. Simple and fast-paced fun made me a Nintendo fanboy. Unfortunately the WiiU was a marketing disaster and nobody (besides me apparently) played those great games on the platform. Then the Switch arrived and I have tried with all my power to justify buying and replaying all those WiiU games but couldn't do it. For me, the Switch is dead and I had to find something else but couldn't return to the PC building mess or next-gen nowhere-to-find PS5 (fukin hate Xobox).
This brings me to the point of this topic: gaming on Stadia. I remember dreaming in the 2000's about playing on a powerful server somewhere on the net, me only owning a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Unfortunately the 56k dial-up connection was far from capable of anything like this so it remained just a dream until...3 months ago when I have tried Stadia. The setup was kinda clumsy: Samsung S20 Android phone with Stadia app, Usb-c to hdmi adapter for TV connection and WiiU Pro controller. I was not satisfied with the experience but I could see it is working. After a few days switched to a laptop with HDMI output but it did not have V9 hardware decoding so there was no 4K and I wanted to have that. Still the free games received with the Pro subscription were playable and kinda fun. I found that one of my home laptops had V9 decoding and from that moment I was sold - 4k gaming altho the old hdmi port was old and did not support HDR. Since then I did some more improvements and rigtht now I am happy with Stadia.
Here it is:

• Chromecast with google tv
• Gigabit internet connection (yeah here is cheap - 40RON (10 USD/month)
• Motrix USB-C hub with Power Delivery for ethernet and the adapter
• 8bitdo USB adapter
• PS5 Dualsense connected to the 8bitdo adapter
• 5.1 sound system with ARC
• 65” B9 OLED

Right now I’m playing Tomb Rider 20 years celebration and Farcry 5 at 4K@60hz, HDR and 5.1 sound. Works as advertised.

What is your Stadia setup?

GHG

Gold Member
137011698-seattle-wa-usa-circa-november-2019-closeup-of-a-google-stadia-gaming-controller-being-thrown-into-th.jpg

Rikkori

If you want a more positive Stadia community you gotta check the Stadia subreddit. Everywhere else it's all mostly negativity - imo for good reason but also a bit overblown. I don't understand why you'd go for game streaming in RO though, unless you buy like 1 or 2 games a year. The pricing is awful relative to income. PC is the cheapest in the long run and it's not like the GPU market has been bad for that long, I saw 2070 Super go for 2200 RON ($530) last BF. And hell, you don't even need that to cream a Stadia setup, even a 2060 runs laps around it and that was like 1500 RON ($360). Plus the GPU can keep mining during downtime so it ends up paying for itself...

Fredrik

If you want a more positive Stadia community you gotta check the Stadia subreddit. Everywhere else it's all mostly negativity - imo for good reason but also a bit overblown. I don't understand why you'd go for game streaming in RO though, unless you buy like 1 or 2 games a year. The pricing is awful relative to income. PC is the cheapest in the long run and it's not like the GPU market has been bad for that long, I saw 2070 Super go for 2200 RON ($530) last BF. And hell, you don't even need that to cream a Stadia setup, even a 2060 runs laps around it and that was like 1500 RON ($360). Plus the GPU can keep mining during downtime so it ends up paying for itself...
You know, I could write an essay of all the things that went wrong with Stadia, without blind hate and with actual constructive criticism. But it’s not worth anybodys time really.

The thing is, they have the money, they could’ve upgraded the server hardware to exceed the nextgen consoles and invested in their first party studios and acquired a bunch of new studios. The service worked as advertised, the streaming tech is still the best. But instead they chose to stay on generational stop-gap hardware and close down their 1st party studios.

So, what more is there to say?
Boom headshot?
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
You should head to stadia subreddit for this question TC.

People here......not really fond of stadia

Last edited:

Schmick

Why hate Xbox? If you are into streaming you should give xCloud ago and not only xCloud, PS Now for PC is great too.

Ceadeus

I like playing stadia with my iPad and Xbox controller. The thing is that some of the game I wanted to play are only 30fps capable like Odyssey.

I don't know their 10TF went because my 4Tflop laptop can play Odyssey 60fps..

Borderlands 3 plays fine on this at 60 but the online is a ghost town.

It's all these little things that made me quit playing stadia. Otherwise it works well enough and I like the idea of playing console quality games on a IPad.

kingfey

Banned
Op stadia is great. Kids here have no idea how good it is.
They are just too much spoiled, that anything that isn't Sony/Nintendo or master race Pc is a trash to them.

They hate cloud gaming, because of their perceived notion, that it will fail.

They have no idea console majority are very tiny.

3 billion gamers last year, and you have 89m switch, 116m ps4, 53m xbox1, 10m ps5, 6m XSx/X. That is how low numbers these guys are.

Cloud gaming is very good, and pretty much future proof.

I had fun playing cyberpunk2077 on stadia, than my pc.

IF SONY RELEASED STADIA, 90% OF THIS FORUM, WILL PRAISE IT HIGHLY.

My only gripe with stadia is Google. Their impatient causes their good product to rot.

I will always support systems that let's majority of people play video games, without spending 500$ for an entry to play limited games. If that device gets broken, you have to spend another 500$ again.

Quasicat

Waiting to play Stadia when it comes natively to my Android TV. I looked a few weeks ago and didn’t find it. At the rate things are going, the xCloud streaming service will get there before Stadia…on Googles own operating system.

edit: I just checked and Stadia is there. I’m going to fire it up and see what it’s like. I have never really educated myself on this.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Cloud gaming is very good, and pretty much future proof.

Most people aren't shitting on cloud gaming. It's Google they're taking a dump on.

They came out with a weird ass pricing model whereby you still need to buy the game.

They cancelled most of the first part projects they had going.

They have a history of cancelling all their shit and have not given us any confidence this won't end up with the same fate.

kingfey

Banned
Most people aren't shitting on cloud gaming. It's Google they're taking a dump on.

They came out with a weird ass pricing model whereby you still need to buy the game.

They have a history of cancelling all their shit and have not given us any confidence this won't end up with the same fate.
I hate Google with passion. I still have a lingering hope, that they might change their stance on stadia, depending how successful Luna is, and how great will xcloud be, once it's out of beta.

And buying games on a service is like buying a game on your ps5/xsx. You wont be able to play those games on other systems. Ps5 games work on ps5, same for series console. Your games are forever locked on that system. So no issue for me.
Games that you bought old console is stuck on those consoles. Unless they get BC option. Or a remaster, which you have to buy it again.

PrimeX

Indeed this is one of my concerns. I could pay for some games and then one day they could be instantly gone together with the platform. I will only buy games at discount for time being 😎

kingfey

Banned
I will forever shit on cloud gaming. Anything that requires a constant internet connection(and a good one at that) is shit. It's not "future proof" at all. I feel like cloud gaming is an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.
Then you have no problem avoiding online games. Ps+ games, or MP games. Because these need consistent internet, for you to play them.

Top Bottom