• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Postcard sent from Chicago finally reaches destination 53 years later

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shedd Aquarium postcard arrives 53 years later :

“We’ll probably be home before this gets there!”

Those were the words teenager Scott McMurry’s mom scrawled across the top of a postcard from Chicago in the summer of 1958.

She didn’t know how right she was.

The postcard depicting the Shedd Aquarium finally arrived at McMurry’s Virginia home on Tuesday — 53 years after his mom mailed it.

“I recognized my mother’s handwriting immediately,” said McMurry, now 71. “It’s incredible.”

Now the Shedd Aquarium has offered to give him a tour of the attraction his late parents visited more than half a century ago.

“Hopefully I’ll be able to come next week,” he said. “I’m looking forward to it.”

The postcard was addressed to Clairmont Ave. in Decatur, Ga., — where McMurry grew up. But last week it showed up in Elizabeth Fulcher’s mailbox on Clairmont Lane in South Daytona, Fla.

Fulcher realized something was strange when she saw the 2 cent stamp in the top right corner.

She posted a picture of the postcard on Facebook, and her friends helped track down McMurry, a historian with the Justice Department.

“Without the Internet, I’d never have received it,” McMurry said.

Just why the snail mail took so long to arrive remains a mystery, but an April 2012 Michigan postmark suggests it was recently mailed a second time, McMurry said.

C6g6V.jpg

If you attached the postcard to an actual snail and let it go it'd get there in 2.8 years of nonstop travel, or 11.2 years of 6 hour traveling days
US postal System = Glacier mail

Al-ibn Kermit

That's just an awesome, and random, fucking gift though. Getting a card like that decades after your parents have passed away, reminding you of them and giving you a new memory to hold. And then getting offered a free tour by that aquarium.

It was also really cool that the recipient is apparently a historian, he'd probably appreciate it more.

hirokazu

Must be an incredibly shitty postal service if it manages to deliver it to the wrong address 53 years later.

Only one word on the postcard matches the address it was delivered to. One word. You don't make mistakes like that unless you're exceptionally inept.

FillerB

Kvy6G.png

How could this even happen? Not just decades late, but also delivered to the wrong address. Shows dedication that they even bothered to deliver it instead of dumping it in a furnace but come on....

pmj

It says right in the OP that it was recently mailed a second time, meaning the postcard had probably been delivered to (or otherwise ended up with) the wrong person 53 years ago.

gutshot

Something similar happened to me recently, although not nearly on the same level. We ordered a book of stamps about a year ago but they never came. We were able to get a refund from the USPS at the time. Then, about a week ago, the stamps showed up. Free stamps!

ToxicAdam

You call it an aquarium, I call it a marine internment camp.

--- /// ---

I wonder if there is a lost AOL e-mail (circa 1998) out there for me from my mom.

"Adam, Look at this dancing baby. lol"

Maybe it's for the better that it's lost.

Fritz

Why wouldn't they show a pic of the other side of the card, you know, the side that's actually worth taking a look at?

thefro

Chicago's post office is notoriously slow/loses stuff for some reason.

Mail works perfectly 99.99% of the time everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom