• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales announced as second Disney UHD Blu-ray

Vashetti

Banned
183750_front.jpg

Walt Disney Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release on 4K Blu-ray Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. The release will be available for purchase on October 3.

Studio synopsis: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is a rollicking new tale of the high seas, infused with all the elements of fantasy, humor and action that have resulted in an international phenomenon for the past 13 years. Johnny Depp returns to his Academy Award®-nominated role as the outrageous, swashbuckling scoundrel Captain Jack Sparrow, and is joined by Oscar® winners Javier Bardem (Best Supporting Actor, "No Country for Old Men") and Geoffrey Rush (Best Actor, "Shine").

Fans who bring home Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales will experience the nonstop action in stunning 4K Blu-ray format, the ultimate home entertainment experience with next-generation high dynamic range (HDR) visuals and Dolby Atmos immersive audio.

Bonus material includes a collection of behind-the-scenes, making-of stories, including a conversation with directors Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg; a sit-down with the two young newcomers who play Henry and Carina; the secrets behind the menacing new villain, Salazar, and his ferocious ghost sharks; an on-set visit with Jack's first mate from all five films; a chat with Sir Paul McCartney who appears as Uncle Jack; and a discussion about the franchise's legacy; along with hilarious bloopers, deleted scenes and memories from producer Jerry Bruckheimer's photo diary.

The rip-roaring adventure—packed with humor, suspense and jaw-dropping special effects—finds down-on-his-luck Captain Jack feeling the winds of ill fortune blowing strongly his way when deadly ghost sailors, led by the terrifying Captain Salazar (Bardem), escape from the Devil's Triangle bent on killing every pirate at sea—notably Jack.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

Dead Men Tell More Tales: The Making of a New Adventure – Get unique access into the making of this exciting new "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie with this collection of revealing and entertaining stories that you can view individually or as a "play all."
  • A Return to the Sea – Two talented filmmakers, Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg, team up to bring "Pirates of the Caribbean" back to the screen. Hear how this new chapter of the tale was developed.
  • Telling Tales: A Sit-down with Brenton & Kaya – Meet Brenton Thwaites and Kaya Scodelario, the young actors behind Henry and Carina. The two sit down together for a revealing conversation on becoming a part of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film franchise and its continuing legacy.
  • The Matador & The Bull: Secrets of Salazar & The Silent Mary – Oscar-winner Javier Bardem reveals more about his menacing new character and the foreboding ship he helms.
  • First Mate Confidential – Go on-set along with Kevin McNally, the affable actor behind the feisty Mr. Gibbs, Captain Jack's reliable first mate from all five movies.
  • Deconstructing the Ghost Sharks – Peer below the depths at how these ferocious, mythical monsters were designed and brought to life.
  • Wings Over the Caribbean – Captain Jack has a memorable encounter with Sir Paul McCartney – rock 'n' roll royalty.
  • An Enduring Legacy – Take one more look at the "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales" experience and the impact of "Pirates of the Caribbean" -- the movies, the ride and beyond.
Bloopers of the Caribbean
Jerry Bruckheimer Photo Diary
Deleted Scenes
  • Highwayman
  • Henry Turner Learns a Lesson from Captain Jack
  • A Whale in Poseidon's Tomb
  • Alternate Coda: Murtogg & Mullroy "Flogging"

4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:

4K Blu-ray Combo Pack (4K Blu-ray with HDR-10, Blu-ray, Digital in HD/SD)
Audio: 4K Blu-ray = English Dolby Atmos, English, Spanish and French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=21686

netguy503

No 3D version again?

Again? Guardians is confirmed to get one. But I was just about to post this too. I missed seeing the 3D version in theaters both because I heard the conversion wasn't that great (it is a dark movie after all) and I thought I can just by it at home so why pay the 3D tax. :(

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Again? Guardians is confirmed to get one. But I was just about to post this too. I missed seeing the 3D version in theaters both because I heard the conversion wasn't that great (it is a dark movie after all) and I thought I can just by it at home so why pay the 3D tax. :(

Oh didn't know Guardians 2 got a confirmation afterall. So there is hope here.

Pirates 4 may not have gotten a lot of love, but the 3D disc looks astounding.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As someone who owns literally every Disney animated classic on blu-ray (minus the 5 that were never released), I'm kinda dreading the prospect of having to make a decision about whether to go for UHD.

As someone who owns literally every Disney animated classic on blu-ray (minus the 5 that were never released), I'm kinda dreading the prospect of having to make a decision about whether to go for UHD.

Same, but I think I'll only do it for select favorites. I'm happy with standard Blu-ray for the ones I don't watch too often.

Kyne

once you see Moana in UHD 4K I'm sure the decision will be made for you.

BumRush

For things like Aladdin, the Blu already looks sooooo good. Doubt I'll buy the classics again

Not looking forward to re-buy the animated features/Pixar films in 4K. Buy it'll definitely get the new ones.

Didn't they scan a lot of the movies already in 4K, but then master them in 2K? Wonder what sort of color information the scans have?

In all honesty, we might be streaming 4K Disney movies through iTunes by the end of the year, and there may be no need to upgrade.

Top Bottom