• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potential Pokken DLC? Scizor, Darkrai and Empoleon files found in latest update.

Beats

BananaMuffinFrenzy on the Pokken sub reddit checked the file differences between the new 1.3 update and the previous version and found some interesting results.

BananaMuffinFrenzy said:
Hey guys,
I dumped the new 1.3 update to sift through to see if there were any DLC clues. As expected, every character has been changed in some way (don't know the specifics though), and there are also a few new files that weren't present in 1.2. Here are some files I thought were notable that were added to content/WiiU/packdata/battle/master/btlseq_en.drp:

btlseq_en.drp\eset_cmn_mushikui
btlseq_en.drp\evt_10453_exATK_hit
btlseq_en.drp\evt_10453_fp_5A_hit
btlseq_en.drp\evt_10453_fp_5A_hold_hit
btlseq_en.drp\evt_212_shot_link_hit
btlseq_en.drp\evt_212_zangeki_shk0_3
btlseq_en.drp\evt_212_zangeki_shk1_1
btlseq_en.drp\evt_395_iwakudaki_hit
btlseq_en.drp\evt_491_darkhole_throw_catch
btlseq_en.drp\evt_491_darkpulse_hit
btlseq_en.drp\evt_491_darkpulse_hold_hit
btlseq_en.drp\evt_491_exATK_hit
btlseq_en.drp\evt_jump2
btlseq_en.drp\evt_sphit_Scizor
btlseq_en.drp\evt_sphit_stun_darkThorn

There isn't a whole lot else that was added as far as I can tell. Most of the update modified the existing files, but the inclusion of evt_sphit_Scizor stood out to me, so I figured I'd share. I'm not too hopeful that it means anything though DLC-wise as it's the only file I've found that hints at a new pokemon (and it's the only file that names a pokemon directly - nothing else in btlseq_en.drp does this).

ZekiraDrake said:
- btlseq_en.drp\evt_212_shot_link_hit
- btlseq_en.drp\evt_212_zangeki_shk0_3 btlseq_en.drp\evt_212_zangeki_shk1_1

212 is the number for Scizor.
I don't know what Zangeki is, but google translate says it's "Slashing". Been trying to look for a Pokemon Move with that name, came up with nothing.

- btlseq_en.drp\evt_395_iwakudaki_hit

395 is Empoleon.
”Iwakudaki" is Rock Smash.

- btlseq_en.drp\evt_491_darkhole_throw_catch btlseq_en.drp\evt_491_darkpulse_hit
- btlseq_en.drp\evt_491_darkpulse_hold_hit btlseq_en.drp\evt_491_exATK_hit

491 is Darkrai.
Dark Pulse is, well, Dark Pulse.
Dark Hole is the Japanese name of Dark Void.
Let your speculations go wild, everyone. I'm just stating stuff here.
Anyway, can I ask how you dumped these files? Does it require a modded Wii U?

https://www.reddit.com/r/PokkenGame/comments/4o5mnh/some_info_about_file_differences_in_the_new_13/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokkenGame..._about_file_differences_in_the_new_13/d4a1zd9
https://www.reddit.com/r/PokkenGame..._about_file_differences_in_the_new_13/d4a1mfg

The game has gotten 8 character additions since the arcade release less than a year ago with three of them being console exclusive and it looks like it's possibly getting a few more now.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
Cool if true. Empoleon is a great choice, even if he isn't Feraligator, Greninja or Blastoise.

Darkrai might have a really interesting moveset.

Boo Scizor though. Never liked it at all.

DrArchon

Fuck yeah Scizor. Should've been in from the start. He's super popular and the game needs a steel type and a bug type (at least I think it does).

This needs to be true so I can Bullet Punch and U-Turn motherfuckers all day once more.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
All three great choices. Darkrai has the potential to be a status abusing teleporter, Empoleon is a gentleman penguin, and Scizor is best bug.

and a hearty boo to you too, good sir.

Don't know what it is about Scizor, I just don't like its design. I've always liked Scyther though.

How on Earth in theory did Empoleon and Sceptile get into Pokken before Greninja the new most popular pokemon in the series? Unless they were told they can't use him since they haven't fully unveiled/explained his ash-greninja form

Berordn

Don't know what it is about Scizor, I just don't like its design. I've always liked Scyther though.

I will say I would've also been pretty open to playable Scyther and I'm not too keen on Mega Scizor.

But standard Scizor is one of my favorite designs in the series.

Illucio

Banned
Scizor my favorite Pokemon so that makes me excited.

The game always had open spots/room for extra characters could be placed in. So this is interesting.

Maybe the rumors that Nintendo is preparing DLC for a bunch of their games in order to have something new to sell this holiday season are true.

Sweet. I wanted Empoleon ever since they announced Sceptile. Probably won't be the way I imagined him but its cool nevertheless

Imagining Empoleon waddling around all awkwardly is making me laugh

I'm going to guess his run animation would probably be sliding on his tummy. He'd look ridiculous actually trying to run.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
I will say I would've also been pretty open to playable Scyther and I'm not too keen on Mega Scizor.

But standard Scizor is one of my favorite designs in the series.

I know Scizor is pretty popular, so it's pretty cool for his fans. I was hoping for Feraligatr above anyone else but I guess Empoleon is an acceptable compromise.

Maybe if we get more DLC we can get Articuno...

How on Earth in theory did Empoleon and Sceptile get into Pokken before Greninja the new most popular pokemon in the series? Unless they were told they can't use him since they haven't fully unveiled/explained his ash-greninja form

UHHHH
What is this?! Info? details? somebody?

Forkball

Eww Darkrai. Scizor is a great pick. I know they said no DLC before, but Wii U has slim pickings for the rest of the year so it doesn't surprise me that we're seeing new fighters.

UHHHH
What is this?! Info? details? somebody?
The new synchro form in the anime. Ash and Greninja become "one".
ash_and_greninja_by_bryan95549-d9fb7zw.jpg

Most likely will be in SM.

emb

Scizor. What a great Pokemon to use for this. Empoleon is harder to picture in motion, but no doubt they could make it work.

Not super happy to see DLC instead of them saving it up for a sequel. Regardless, I'll look on with some curiosity.

The thing that concerns me is that each of these Pokemon is followed by one attack. Which would imply they are support Pokemon.

Except there are three of them (supports come in pairs) and making Scizor a support Pokemon would be trolling like never before. Darkrai's attack is also labeled as a grab, and I don't think supports grab.

Gonna take a guess based upon the file names Darkrai would be the playable Mon with scizor and Empoleon being a new support tandem. Darkrai is the only one with two different attacks mentioned along with things like throwing and such, scizor and Empoleon seem like they just got files for their single attack.

Neoxon

I really do hope that this game will get an NX Platform port, mainly to ensure that the game's competitive scene will live past this year. Smash 4 is supposedly gonna make the jump, so it's safe. But with Tekken 7 coming out early next year & KoF XIV coming out in August, I'm not sure about Pokkén's chances at coming back to EVO next year. This DLC will certainly help, but I'm worried that it'll come out too soon after EVO to have a big enough impact on the game's long-term competitive life.

At the very least, we're getting more Gen II & Gen IV representation.

Beats

The thing that concerns me is that each of these Pokemon is followed by one attack. Which would imply they are support Pokemon.

Except there are three of them (supports come in pairs) and making Scizor a support Pokemon would be trolling like never before. Darkrai's attack is also labeled as a grab, and I don't think supports grab.

It's possible they could add the rest of the moves in a later update.

Personally it would be kinda of a bummer if two were just supports. :x

Gonna take a guess based upon the file names Darkrai would be the playable Mon with scizor and Empoleon being a new support tandem. Darkrai is the only one with two different attacks mentioned along with things like throwing and such, scizor and Empoleon seem like they just got files for their single attack.

Scizor as a support would be brutal trolling. He's easily in the top 5 requested for Pokken, maybe even #2 behind Greninja.

To have Darkrai get in and then make Scizor a support would bring some tears.

Neoxon

I sincerely hope not, I need a playable Empoleon.

Taichu

Good choices if true. Scizor will be the first bug type to be fighting in the game. He also has a mega-evolution for his synergy burst form. Empoleon is the first water starter for the game, so it fits in with Charizard, Sceptile, and Blaziken. I imagine that Empoleon will be getting a mega-evolution for Sun/Moon?

Neoxon

Good choices if true. Scizor will be the first bug type to be fighting in the game. He also has a mega-evolution for his synergy burst form. Empoleon is the first water starter for the game, so it fits in with Charizard, Sceptile, and Blaziken. I imagine that Empoleon will be getting a mega-evolution for Sun/Moon?
Not all of the Pokémon in Pokkén have Mega Evolutions.

Blam

As much as this is a weird choice for them to add to the game. I'm welcome to any new Pokemon.

Yeah, that's what it looks like. Which sucks, because we could really use a playable water starter.

TheAnvil

Neo Member
They said they weren't going to do any DLC and then this shows up, so who knows.

Unless I'm mistaken they never said there wouldn't be DLC. Only that they didn't have anything planned yet.

The exact thing they said about Mario Kart and Smash prior to the DLC announcement.

Top Bottom