• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potential World War Z 2 plans teased by developer

Mista

Banned
world-war-z-1920x1080.jpg

It was announced on Tuesday that the developer also responsible for last year’s The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Switch port is to be acquired by Embracer Group, the parent company of publishing labels Deep Silver and THQ Nordic.

And during an Embracer Group earnings presentation, Saber Interactive co-founder and CEO Matthew Karch provided an update on its plans for the popular co-op zombie shooter.
World War Z has done extremely well for us, between three to four million copies [sold] so far,” he said, later adding. “We have a large team that’s continuing to support the title. It’s a great franchise for us, we see a lot of potential in the future. I wouldn’t be surprised if we continued to work on it and we certainly don’t want to abandon our fanbase because the way games are made these days is, it’s constantly feeding your fanbase even if the content is free, that’s how you keep your community alive, and if you want to ever get to the sequel, you’ve got to keep them there, and so we understand that even games that are for sale are games as a service, so that’s the way we approach all our development with all the games that we’re working on.

Earlier in the presentation, Saber chief creative officer and former Id Software studio head Tim Willits described World War Z as “insanely successful” and one of the studio’s “greatest hits”, adding: “It really taught the team to create intense multiplayer co-op fun, and we’ll take that knowledge and continue with this brand.”

Karch also suggested Saber has a lengthy licensing deal in place to create World War Z games.
Personally, I think licensed IP sometimes gets a bad rap. You can make just as much money with a licensed IP as you can with your own IP, it’s just a question of how long you have that IP for. In the case of World War Z we have some pretty good protections and we can continue to develop that franchise and plan to, and as long as we have that then it’s almost the equivalent of owning it with just the obligation to share on the back end a bit.

Karch said Saber was originally inspired to work on the game by the success of Valve’s Left 4 Dead series, which launched in 2008 and received a sequel the following year.
The rationale behind World War Z was pretty simple. What we do at Saber is we identify market opportunities, we look, and we say ‘hey, what types of games are people looking for? What types of experiences do people want to play that aren’t being provided by the market right now?’ So our philosophy has always been kind of a market-driven approach. We looked and there was a game called Left 4 Dead that sold something like 28 million copies and there was nothing in the market for a very long time and we wanted to scratch that itch. So we wanted to create four-person zombie co-op shooter and we had two ways to go about it. We could either create our own IP and spend considerable money on marketing it and still have to overcome significant barriers, or we can license an IP, and we thought, especially as an independent developer that’s trying to keep its development costs relatively contained, it made more sense to go with the license and share on the back end. And so in the case of World War Z it just made sense for us because there was the highest grossing zombie movie of all time, the highest grossing zombie book of all time, the highest grossing Brad Pitt movie of all time, so from our perspective It just made sense to leverage that.”

Pejo

Honestly I had no idea there was even a first video game in the WWZ universe. Did anyone here play it? Was it fun?

Honestly I had no idea there was even a first video game in the WWZ universe. Did anyone here play it? Was it fun?

I played about 25 hours of it, it was pretty fun co-op PvE with decent progression.

Ran into a lot of team killing trolls at the harder difficulties tho

didnt have the legs as L4D had, for me anyway, but many people still play it

Mista

Banned
You serious? The game was so much fun especially in co-op. Not the best tech wise but fun where it matters the most

If you got a solid squad to play it from beginning to end go for it!

MiguelItUp

didnt have the legs as L4D had, for me anyway, but many people still play it
Yeah, this is how I felt about it. I mean, I could feel it had quite a bit going for it, but nothing really kept me playing. Mind you I never got to play co-op at all, which I'm sure that's where the game really shines. I'm interested in seeing how they expand on it though. I mean, why not shamelessly create some class/boss zombies so you can include a PVP mode like the one in the L4D series? I'd be all about that!

Last edited:

Codes 208

Isn't the first game not even a 1 year old? And they already talk about a sequel?
It sold well and people seemed to like it so this shouldnt come off as that much of a surprise. I mean it reads like theres a potential for a sequel, not that theyre directing confirming it or that its already in development. Though i wouldnt be all that surprised for a 2021-22 launch if it turns true.

GymWolf

It sold well and people seemed to like it so this shouldnt come off as that much of a surprise. I mean it reads like theres a potential for a sequel, not that theyre directing confirming it or that its already in development. Though i wouldnt be all that surprised for a 2021-22 launch if it turns true.
Seems legit.

Top Bottom