• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pound for pound I enjoy indie games more than AAA titles

M1chl

Gold Member
Dec 25, 2019
Czech Republic
I enjoyed some AAA games but I would say I enjoyed AA games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 more than most AAA games.
AA games basically dying due to influx of indie shovelware this gen, created environment where only AAA games stand out, but they do come out not that often. Here is hope that AA games it's return.

Reactions: Danjin44

dilbag

Apr 29, 2019
AA games are the sweet spot for me I am finding.... a lot of AAA games just seem to lack something behind them in towards world.

TeezzyD

Fantastik Tuna
Mar 18, 2020
Indies from Steam are fun to play on my laptop. If it can run on an Intel HD 4400, then I'll check it out. Feels like its own little niche console after a certain point. I dig it.

With that said, I cant wait to get my main rig running again. I miss my RTX 2070 🍆🍆🍑

Last edited:

DadEggs

Formerly 'heckmanimation'
May 26, 2011
I think I enjoy more indie games....but the AA/AAA games that I do enjoy, I enjoy to a greater extent.

so lets say for every 5 indie games I enjoy there are 2 AA/AAA games I enjoy.

now those 5 indie games enjoyment level average is maybe 85%

but those 2 AA/AAA games enjoyment level average is maybe 98%

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: MisterBrimstone

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
With Star Citizen now getting near 300 million and still looking like a tech demo rather than anything else, I don't quite understand what "indie" means in 2020. They are all just different games.

Isn't that by Epic? If they are indie, then valve is also indie I guess?
I thought it was chair entertainment. Maybe they’re like a small branch of epic games, I don’t know.

Javthusiast

Formerly 'BibleBLACKED'
Mar 20, 2017
I am the total opposite. The whole indie craze, with the exception of some here and there from time to time, leaves me completely cold and I much rather play big aaa games.

synchronicity

Dec 16, 2011
I just love variety in gaming. Indies/AAA, genre, era. I get the best gaming experience by mixing things up.

mrBarrelNut

Jan 3, 2019
I would love to love indie games but I rarely do.

I guess it's because I mostly enjoy FPS games, and indie games tend to be anything but. But still, I have tried/bough platformers from indie and smaller devs (like that newest Yooka-Laylee game) but I just don't enjoy those like I enjoyed Rayman Legends for example. And neither do my kids.

anthraticus

Sep 11, 2018
Tend to favour indie games to massive AAA ones nowadays. I just find them to be much more interesting, focusing on a certain mechanic or theme instead of trying to do it all. On top of that as I've gotten older, indie games are just much better suited to my schedule and don't overstay their welcome.
Exactly. They specialize in certain areas, and you get and can explore deeper and more complex mechanics, systems, ect.....just pertaining to that particular sub genre or whatever.

Meanwhile, take a AAA game like Skyrim, which tries to have this really wide scope, having you do all these different things, which sounds cool, but everything is so shallow and uninteresting it wears out it's welcome really FAST.