• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PR: Square Enix Allies DRAGON QUEST and IVALICE For North America

FoneBone

Already excerpted in the FFT thread, but the whole thing ought to be posted;
LOS ANGELES, May 14 /PRNewswire/ -- Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix(TM) interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it is bringing the next installments in the vaunted DRAGON QUEST(R) franchise and the all-new IVALICE ALLIANCE(TM) to North America. This exciting announcement brings forth four new titles that are set to revolutionize the way that players experience video gaming on the Nintendo DS(TM), Wii(TM) and the PSP(R) (PlayStation(R)Portable) system in the coming year.

Having sold more than 41 million units worldwide, DRAGON QUEST is the premiere RPG franchise that has captivated audiences around the world for more than 20 years. Combining ingenious gameplay elements from series creator Yuji Horii, character designs from famed artist Akira Toriyama and music from renowned composer Koichi Sugiyama, the "golden trio" of game designers has delivered a timeless franchise that continues to reinvent itself in new and exciting ways. For 2007 and 2008 Square Enix will expand the franchise with the release of DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS -Joker(TM), an addictive handheld monster collection RPG, and DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors(TM), an intuitive action RPG for the Wii home video game system.

Ten years after FINAL FANTASY TACTICS(R) gave birth to the world of Ivalice, Square Enix introduces IVALICE ALLIANCE, a cachet of titles set in the fantastical game world that serves as the backdrop for classic titles such as FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS Advance and FINAL FANTASY(R) XII. Comprised of two unique titles for North America thus far, the IVALICE ALLIANCE seeks to offer a diverse collection of titles for a multitude of platforms. Discover a new Ivalice with every addition to the alliance, each crafted by a development team with a unique vision.

DRAGON QUEST DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - Joker Platform: Nintendo DS ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated Release Date: Q4 2007

DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - Joker is the latest installment in the venerable RPG franchise that has sold more than 41 million units worldwide. Developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS and arriving in North America in Q4 2007, players assume the role of a monster hunter as they capture, train and breed a powerful army from more than 200 classic DRAGON QUEST creatures in order to become the world's greatest monster trainer. Already achieving sales of more than 1 million units in Japan, DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - Joker is a breakout title that combines the depth of a classic DRAGON QUEST RPG with the addictiveness of a monster catching adventure.

DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors Platform: Wii ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated Release Date: TBA

Developed from the ground up to take advantage of the Nintendo Wii and its motion sensing technology, the worldwide phenomenon that has captivated more than 41 million players across the world slashes its way onto Nintendo's next- generation platform in 2008 in the form of DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. This exclusive title utilizes the Wii's motion sensing controls as players use the Wii remote to slash, parry and slice their way through a land filled with trademark DRAGON QUEST foes. Developed with both longtime fans and casual audiences in mind, DRAGON QUEST SWORDS: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors is poised to take video gaming to an entirely new level of fun and interaction.

IVALICE ALLIANCE FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions Platform: PSP system ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated Release Date: October 2007

Originally released in 1997, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions is a portable update on the classic turn-based strategy game that gave birth to the world of Ivalice. In development exclusively for the PSP system, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The Lion War features PSP system exclusive content not found on the original classic including all-new CG sequences, all-new jobs, new 16:9 widescreen presentation, new head-to-head multiplayer and new storyline elements that refine the genesis of the IVALICE ALLIANCE. FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions will be released simultaneously in North American and European territories.

FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS(TM) Platform: Nintendo DS ESRB Rating: Not Yet Rated Release Date: Coming this Winter

Continuing the story of the beloved classic that captivated more than 5 million players around the world, FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS progresses the tale that won numerous accolades from the industry's top publications. Developed exclusively for the Nintendo DS, FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS is a sophisticated experience that commands full use of the Nintendo DS functionality. Featuring full Touch Screen functionality, FINAL FANTASY XII REVENANT WINGS allows players to control massive armies, utilize special moves and activate Gambits, all with the use of the stylus. The world of Ivalice comes alive through the classic musical composition of Hitoshi Sakimoto and the direction of Motomu Toriyama, the director of FINAL FANTASY X-2 and the upcoming FINAL FANTASY XIII.

About Square Enix Co., Ltd. and Square Enix, Inc.

Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix), with headquarters in Tokyo, Japan, develops, publishes and distributes entertainment content including interactive entertainment software and publications in Asia, North America and Europe. Square Enix brings two of Japan's best-selling franchises - FINAL FANTASY, which has sold over 75 million units worldwide, and DRAGON QUEST, which has sold over 41 million units worldwide - under one roof. Square Enix is one of the most influential providers of digital entertainment content in the world and continues to push the boundaries of creativity and innovation.

DRAGON QUEST, DRAGON QUEST MONSTERS - JOKER, DRAGON QUEST SWORDS, FINAL FANTASY, FINAL FANTASY TACTICS, IVALICE ALLIANCE, THE MASKED QUEEN AND THE TOWER OF MIRRORS, REVENANT WINGS, SQUARE ENIX and the Square Enix logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd. in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Square Enix, Inc.

Copyright © 2007 PR Newswire. All rights reserved.

Yeah right Ivalice Alliance, more like "raping Ivalice's dead corpse, after having kicked out matsuno, in order to make quick cash"

Snaku

Banned
OtwoloBotawa said:
Yeah right Ivalice Alliance, more like "raping Ivalice's dead corpse, after having kicked out matsuno, in order to make quick cash"

At least they're not raping Tactics Ogre, or Vagrant Story. =/

- October 2007: Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (PSP)
- Q4 2007: Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (NDS)
- Winter 2007: Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (NDS)
- 2008: Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Wii)

Better late than never I guess but those DQ localizations are coming quite late compared to their japanese release dates. FFXII RW otoh looks to be coming pretty soon.

I wonder how many of these are coming to Europe and when are they coming.

Snaku

Banned
OtwoloBotawa said:
Vagrant Story = Ivalice universe

The connection is very loose at best, and they're not actually doing anything with the VS characters, story, or world. Imagine if they announced VS2 with FFT Advance kiddy characters, story, and art style. That's some rape.

Sallokin

You've got to be kidding me with how long it's taking some of these freaking games to come out... I'm excited they're coming, but give me a break with all the winter/holiday releases

ethelred

DQMJ and DQS in the US = :D

Bummed that it's taking until 2008 for DQS, though -- hopefully that means that there's a good bit of text to the game and that they're doing a high quality localization.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
vanguardian1 said:
No mention of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. ;_;

Doesn't have a confirmed Japanese release date yet IIRC. I think it's slated for July or August, but I don't think there's an actual date yet.

Snaku said:
The connection is very loose at best, and they're not actually doing anything with the VS characters, story, or world. Imagine if they announced VS2 with FFT Advance kiddy characters, story, and art style. That's some rape.
VS is set in Ivalice. There's no loose connection, it is a game inside the ivalice universe. It's like saying Yoshi's Island has no connection to the mario franchise.

ethelred said:
DQMJ and DQS in the US = :D

Bummed that it's taking until 2008 for DQS, though -- hopefully that means that there's a good bit of text to the game and that they're doing a high quality localization.
I wonder if they are going to change (and add) some things like with DQVIII. Because it doesn't really make much sense to need a year to bring DQMJ. Maybe some interface changes?

Matix

Looking forward to DQS hitting stateside, may even bring a bit of life to the Dragon Quest series in the west.

Snaku

Banned
OtwoloBotawa said:
VS is set in Ivalice. There's no loose connection, it is a game inside the ivalice universe. It's like saying Yoshi's Island has no connection to the mario franchise.

There's no direct mention of Ivalice itself in the game at all. It shares some names with other Ivalice games, but that's like saying Final Fantasy games are set within the same world because they all have chocobos, and a dude named Cid in them.

Now if you can provide proof that Matsuno has acknowledged the game is set within Ivalice...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder if they are going to change (and add) some things like with DQVIII. Because it doesn't really make much sense to need a year to bring DQMJ. Maybe some interface changes?

Probably just trying to wait for Pokémon / Spectrobes momentum to run out before they release it so they can market it to the same crowd.

Man, this is the absolute best news I could hope to wake up to. I don't mind swords coming out in 2008, because I know I'm going to be so preoccupied with other games that I might not be able to give it an honest effort this fall.

This is so perfect. It's like falling in love.

Tobor

I felt pretty safe this was going to happen, but it's always great to have confirmation.

Now all I need is another Rocket Slime game and I'm all set.

Sallokin

Forgotten Ancient said:
Man, this is the absolute best news I could hope to wake up to. I don't mind swords coming out in 2008, because I know I'm going to be so preoccupied with other games that I might not be able to give it an honest effort this fall.

This is so perfect. It's like falling in love.

It's like falling in love with a girl that takes 8 months to get ready to go out to dinner. In the end it's worth it, but you sometimes have to wonder why exactly she takes that long when other girls are ready in half the time...:D

Edit: Added a smile, to show I'm not as bitter and disparaging as my remarks would lead you to believe :)

Snaku said:
There's no direct mention of Ivalice itself in the game at all. It shares some names with other Ivalice games, but that's like saying Final Fantasy games are set within the same world because they all have chocobos, and a dude named Cid in them.

Now if you can provide proof that Matsuno has acknowledged the game is set within Ivalice...
The game directly references the events of Final Fantasy Tactics and is considered part of the Ivalice universe, Matsuno himself stated it's set in Ivalice in several interviews.

http://www.ffworld.com/?rub=ff12&page=interview_jp-mai04

You're just trying to be a smarty-pants, please stop it now before you make yourself look dumb.

Sallokin said:
It's like falling in love with a girl that takes 8 months to get ready to go out to dinner. In the end it's worth it, but you sometimes have to wonder why exactly she takes that long when other girls are ready in half the time...

But true love is worth waiting for. :lol

Snaku

Banned
OtwoloBotawa said:
The game directly references the events of Final Fantasy Tactics and is considered part of the Ivalice universe, Matsuno himself stated it's set in Ivalice in several interviews.

You're just trying to be a smarty-pants, please stop it now before you make yourself look dumb.

No need to get snippy. I asked for proof, and all you needed to do was provide it. Thanks for the info junior.

Alkaliine said:
Damn, 2008 for Swords. :(

actually, I don't mind this so much. There is no way this game could compete for my attention with all the other huge games coming out this winter, so I can handle the wait.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
OtwoloBotawa said:

To translate the relevant portion of that interview:

Interview with Producer and Director Yasumi Matsuno (when he was filling these roles) by Joypad Magazine (Summer 2004):

Q: Can you tell us more about the World of Ivalice, where Vagrant Story takes place, or even Final Fantasy Tactics?

Matsuno: Ivalice is a world that I conceived of from the start of my time at Square in 1995. It's a very complex world with a heavy and historic past. Also, the areas where Vagrant Story, FFT, and Final Fantasy XII take place are very near each other on the map of Ivalice... But I can't tell you anything more for the moment.

Xisiqomelir

Oh man, I was holding out hope we'd get DQ9 this year. Does this mean Horii is testing me and I have to buy Joker to determine whether we're worthy of it?

DQM:J? DQM:J!!!!

*cartwheels*

Oh, happy day! Oh, happy da~y!

I just pray it comes out after November. I'll have enough self control to forego buying games due to my 'A' levels, but not enough that I won't pine for the game. :p

YEAH, come to the west!

setiamb3.jpg

Ceb

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder how many of these are coming to Europe and when are they coming.

"FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: The War of the Lions will be released simultaneously in North American and European territories." :)

I really, REALLY hope Square contracted Alexander O. Smith to do a new translation. One can always dream...

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Pureauthor said:
DQM:J? DQM:J!!!!

*cartwheels*

Oh, happy day! Oh, happy da~y!

I just pray it comes out after November. I'll have enough self control to forego buying games due to my 'A' levels, but not enough that I won't pine for the game. :p
high five!

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Took long enough :mad:

:( @ DQSwords being under, TBA. I was hoping it would hit some time soon. Also, announce IAWW damnit.

Evlar

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
2008 for DQ Swords? :/

c'mon. i hope its because localization is getting an overhaul a la DQ8.
It's voiced in Japan (first DQ game to ever have Japanese voices). I'd guess they will re-dub it in English, and that can take a little extra time.

Giard

Stupid FFTs, go on a console I actually own...
But what's with this franchise's ressurection lately? Lots of games seem to be coming out for it

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:

Holy crap you're much younger than I thought.

Jirotrom

I'd much rather DQ in 2008 as Im already packed this year for purchasing games. If mario galaxy battalion wars and smash make it out this year along with metroid Prime 3 I think I'm good to go. I also have 360 games to purchase and DS and maybe some ps2 games.

Top Bottom