• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Praise the Lord. Geoff Keighley promises True Next Gen stuff at the VGAs.

Can Keighley be trusted?

• Yes

Votes: 95 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 145 43.8%
  • Next Gen is a Lie

Votes: 91 27.5%

• Total voters

Varteras

Gold Member
Wolverine announcement made people go nutts. So if she is saying there's a big reveal at Game Awards then it's probably going to be something that excites everyone just like Wolverine.

Supposedly there is also some other event possibly happening in December, not sure if its before or after Game awards though.
I'm really having a hard time believing that. Depending on what it is and how it's presented, sure they could announce it merely a week or two before it happens. But at this point I'm not holding my breath when we're almost two weeks into November and TGA is still the only event we have confirmed.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm really having a hard time believing that. Depending on what it is and how it's presented, sure they could announce it merely a week or two before it happens. But at this point I'm not holding my breath when we're almost two weeks into November and TGA is still the only event we have confirmed.

They want a stage presence, and want to deflat anything Microsoft tries to announce.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Its about time, nothing has wowed me yet.. Still waiting on that "The Order" moment. Come on

Last edited:

saintjules

Source: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/geoff-keighley-details-the-game-awards-2021-and-beyond

He also said that there will be around 40-50 games/game tv/movie spin-offs but new game reveals will be in double digits.

This year has been pretty rough for graphics whores with only Ratchet and Forza impressing, and pretty much nothing else to look forward to on the horizon. So it's great to see that the industry will finally be revealing some true next gen games next month. I want the CPU to finally be fucking utilized. Same goes for this SSD mumbo jumbo thats been shoved down our throat. Let's see how it enhances game design and graphics. Will Horizon add flying in the PS5 version? Exciting times ahead.

Suicide on hold.

I still find that whole flying mechanic thing for Horizon weird. So a PS5 version would have a flying mechanic and the PS4 wouldn't? Usually stuff like that is part of the storyline and is essential to your skillset to play the game.

Last edited:
Yep. Even the best looking games we have seen this gen like Demons, Ratchet and Forza are still held back in many ways. I think Avatar's graphics will be the standard next gen with linear games looking even better.

Even Starfield looks incredible. This is running realtime on a 2080 Super which is around 10% faster than the 2080 which itself is on par with the XSX in standard rasterization.

3c2aa979a14f56cdb599e054392fb1126763ad70.gifv

70d8207cd066b27bf994037bfe31537e05c754b8.gifv

22a22808dd5791d22a42f8919af9e5f535f65f6e.gifv

And Bethesda is NOT a studio known for pushing visuals. For reference, This was their best work on last gen consoles.

d47800b1-a69d-43a9-959f-26d65f1bb467-1020x612.png

So if Bethesda is able to make Starfield look that good, imagine what other devs can do.
Oh my sweet summer child.... That was CGI.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Oh my sweet summer child.... That was CGI.
Nah, it's all realtime. Confirmed by Bethesda. It's not even using any cinematic tools.

8c0by0gf5n671.png

In fact they didnt even use any cinematic tools.

In an ArtStation post from the trailer's lighting artist Keith Beltramini just a few days after the trailer's release, it has been revealed that the footage shown at E3 was entirely captured using the Creation Engine 2, with no other tools used to enhance the visuals, un like most other cinematic trailers. "Using our own Creation Engine 2, we created this entirely in game without any cinematic tools. Working closely with director, Istvan Pely, I assisted in art direction for anything lighting and mood related."

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I still find that whole flying mechanic thing for Horizon weird. So a PS5 version would have a flying mechanic and the PS4 wouldn't? Usually stuff like that is part of the storyline and is essential to your skillset to play the game.
No you are a 100% right. Stuff like this is tied to game engines and we would never see that.

However, in one of the interviews the director refused to rule out Flying in Horizon, simply saying that they are aware flying is a highly requested feature.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Hmm, I have a hunch that the majority of the next gen stuff will be: Indie, Multiplyer only (MMO etc.), and/ or have a really far release date.
They will also likely be cg trailers. We’ve been on the keighly rodeo enough times to know whats up. He also knows that the tripple a reveals are the most valuable ones he gets. Thats why he either puts it at the beggining of the show, or at the very end.

Vognerful

I know I would since dismissive but why would they do it this year?

My memory ,even though is not that great, tells me that they always avoid announcing or getting involved in many conferences or events (even huge ones like E3) and prefer to do their own thing.

Romulus

It might be AAA games in terms of production, but in terms of an actual next gen visuals, that ship sailed. Everything from here on out will be baby steps. No more leaps forward.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
TGAs and any “video game awards” are scams and jokes. The only people who actually care about these events are console warriors and sad people who need validation for their purchases. I will wait until after the event to see the trailers and not waste my time watching trash.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Developers have indeed just scratched the 9th gen consoles' surface, as every game that released so far was supposed to be a release window title that got more or less affected by COVID, and the ones that should have released in late 2021 got postponed.

The fact that Geoff Keighley said it doesn't make it any less true.

yurinka

I assume he's talking about chinese generic F2P MMORPGS, battle royales and other low tier AA ripoffs.

Edit: Nvm.

I think this means that in an unprecedented partnership with Satisfyer, Sony will add hapting feedback to a next gen PS Move for PSVR2.

sony-playstation-move-motion-controller-twin-pack.jpg
+
images

jim-ryan-1.jpg

Last edited:

RCU005

He is saying NEW game announcements are in the double digits, so that's at least 10. Then, there are games that have been announced that we haven't actually seen much or anything at all, like Suicide Squad gameplay, Hellblade 2, Final Fantasy XVI, Breath of the Wild sequel, etc.

I think it could be a very good year regarding new games whether they are a surprises or already announced. I expect even some of the smaller games will be good such as Stray.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

TGAs and any “video game awards” are scams and jokes. The only people who actually care about these events are console warriors and sad people who need validation for their purchases. I will wait until after the event to see the trailers and not waste my time watching trash.
Watching these events with live streamers can be quite fun.

Ozzie666

If Cyberpunk wins any positive awards, I'm not sure how anyone could take this seriously? If I recall it won awards last year, prior to being released. Or was that from IGN?

Top Bottom