• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-E3 Hype Train: Essential changes for Bloodborne 2

From Software has long-since confirmed that they're working on three projects, one of which is almost certainly Bloodborne 2 (or, at the very least, a spiritual successor ala Dark Souls and Demon's Souls). Now that Dark Souls is over and there's a real chance of seeing BB2 at E3, it feels like the right time to lay out what seems necessary for the sequel.

While I have absolutely no doubt that From will deliver tons of amazingly disturbing and riveting content, they have a spottier track record when it comes to quality-of-life mechanics from game to game. As an attempt to address that, here are 13 changes that I feel From should absolutely implement in the next entry of the series.

Main Game:

-The player will always have a minimum of 10 Blood Vials and Quicksilver Bullets when starting from a lamp, eliminating the need to farm. Players can still loot additional vials from foes.

-The player can “rest” at lamps to respawn enemies, repair their weapon and level up.

-All items replenish from storage automatically upon revival/resting, so you’ll no longer have to manually restock your inventory with things like molotovs and buff papers.

-Trick Weapons unlock on the account level. When choosing one’s starting weapon in a new game, the player may pick from any base-level weapon they have acquired on any playthrough.

-Transformation and Covenant-based Caryll Runes also unlock in this way (such as Hunter of Hunters and Milkweed).

-Jumping toggle option added (O or L3).

Chalice Dungeons:

-Root (randomized) Chalice Dungeons may be re-rolled for no cost once the dungeon is complete. No additional crafting materials are required.

-Root Chalice Dungeons are truly random in terms of enemy and boss encounters. Any enemy and any boss may appear in them, so long as those bosses have been defeated in the main game.

-Unlimited use variant of the “Shiny Coin” item is available in Chalices. Allows the player to mark paths they’ve been through already for easier navigation.

Multiplayer:

-Bell Maiden system is gone, replaced by standard Dark Souls invasions.

-Matchmaking is based on weapon level (must be +/- 3 upgrade levels) and Blood Level (must be +/- 10 blood levels) for both co-op and invasions.

-Blood Gems have no effect on matchmaking, but as Gem slots depend on upgrade level, this will barely effect anything.

-Co-op increases the health, defense and attack damage of bosses, as well as larger enemies and minibosses. +25% for one additional player, +50% for two.

These changes ensure maximum replay value, minimum tedium, and consistent, balanced online interactions for both PvE and PvP. What proposed changes do you agree/disagree with? Did I forget anything?

This sounds like improving quality of life on Bloodborne 1.

In any case, I think we should try to stop thinking about a sequel because it might not happen... :/

Let's just surprise ourselves.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I want FROM to base the game around a fully acted story starring Nathan Fillion as Nathan Drake.

Everything else will fall into place.

Gator86

Ability to pause, heavy cutscenes with voiced main character, non-customizable character, and easy mode just to see the freak-outs.

The main reason why blood vials are finite is because of the rally mechanic (gain health back by damaging enemeis), along with the increased ability to dodge and parry enemies. It also rewards good play and survivability - you can save up like 20 vials in your inventory by default which is incredibly generous compared to other Dark Souls games. Furthermore, you can continuously stockpile all the vials you come across if you are conservative with them.

VertPin

Bloodborne 2 is going to happen at some point. Hopefully that point is this E3, but we will have to see.

What I would like to see is..:

-Same quality weapons, but more of them
-More build diversity
-Level design just the way it was in the first game/Dark Souls 1
-More puzzles/areas that you can't just run past through
-Assuming Bloodvials are gone, give us an estus system
-More arcane skills, but require attunement slots required to level for more spell usage
-Improvements to insight
-multiplayer easier to see people, get rid of bells and go back to signs if you have to.
-invasions, always.

KillLaCam

Banned
-Trick Weapons unlock on the account level. When choosing one’s starting weapon in a new game, the player may pick from any base-level weapon they have acquired on any playthrough.

-Transformation and Covenant-based Caryll Runes also unlock in this way (such as Hunter of Hunters and Milkweed).

Chalice Dungeons:

-Unlimited use variant of the “Shiny Coin” item is available in Chalices. Allows the player to mark paths they’ve been through already for easier navigation.

I dont think any of these changes will happen. Especially the account wide things. It would be cool to pick from any weapon at the beginning of the game, but I dont see that happening in any Souls/ Soulslike game.

pablito

Game isn't happening yet. But

More magic
More weapons
More Fashion Souls
Day time areas
Estus Flask system.Obviously change the name to fit the blood theme.
60 FPS

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The only thing I ask of the devs is to not listen to the fans. That's how you get toothless games.

QOL improvements don't create "toothless games", come on.

That said the minimum amount of blood vials is something I disagree with. BB shouldn't have the Estus system. Other than that, agreed with the OP.

Masagiwa

Entire game is only playable in VR. It's 2017, get with the time From Software.

They are working on it but not only VR :p
SCut0BQ.jpg

(From their official youtube page)

Wereroku

OP you realize every games doesn't have to be dark souls right? You could just go back and play it the PC version is pretty good. Also I never had to grind for vials or bullets because you can buy them with souls.

Wagram

I would like an increase in difficulty akin to The Old Hunters for the main experience. Easily, the most lenient of the Soulsborne titles due to all the systems in place. The Old Hunters brought it all together perfectly.

i avoid trains until we get even a hint/leak/rumour that the game is actually close to even being announced, let alone released

VertPin

Forgot something to include.

Make NG+ even harder and add other elements to the game similar to Dark Souls II. More hostile areas. That'd be great.

Extend the insight mechanic. As you have more insight, have more differences in more enemies, maybe open new paths and events a la word tendency.

Improve the multiplayer.

Have at least the number of weapon and attire of bb+toh in the base game.

Have better rewards for killing a boss or completing a dungeon, maybe have some enemies drop equipment.

If the chalice dungeons are in, they need more variations this time.

Add the ability to teleport where you want from every lamp.

Set the game in another place in the near future after the events of the first game.

It would be cool if there was a special chalice dedicated exclusively to multiplayer. 4 or 5 arenas located in the labyrinth, each with its own style for visual variation and difference in level design. Make it part of a covenant of old tomb prospectors or something. Keep the possibility to make rites (including news ones) to make things more interesting. That would make happy a lot of pvp people and make a good use of chalice dungeons IMHO.

Freeman76

FFS how many times do we go through this. They arent making BB2 i dont even know where you get your info from. You need to read Miyazaki interviews he has all but confirmed this will not happen for a long time if ever. He has 100% confirmed they are NOT working on any current franchises.

And if Sony studios make a sequel and from arent involved it may as well just be a new ip. Im ok if its a one and done, not everything needs to be milked into a franchise.

Van Bur3n

Already made a list in a similar thread:

1. Dump blood vials. This shit was left behind in Demon's Souls for a reason (because it's dumb). Bring it back as an estus flask.

2. More inter connectivity in the level design. I know this was a thing exclusive to the first Dark Souls so I should probably never expect to see it done so well ever again, but it would be nice to see it happen again. If that's not possible...

3. Allow warping between lamps. There was a reason only being able to warp back to the hub area was left behind in Demon's Souls (because it's dumb).

4. Either place bell maidens in every level or incorporate a system similar to other Souls games such as with humanity and embers. Bloodborne's PVP died quickly with how poorly handled it was. Not that this would fix the issues with PVP though. I'd personally just make it so that you're constantly susceptible to invasions like DS2 because fuck it I wanna make little piggies squeal.

5. Covenants more inline with other Souls games. The covenants of BB don't have much to offer besides their passive abilities that are just like any other rune. Introduce some actual interesting mechanics with them.

6. Better NPC questlines. Though there were some great ones with Eileen and Alfred, I felt there weren't on par with what was found in other Souls games such a lot of NPCs in Dark Souls 3 which were perhaps the best NPCs have ever been with characters such as Siegward, Greirat, Yuria, Anri, Yoel, Irina, Sirris, and so forth. All interacting with the player in a number of ways and being affected by the player's actions both large and small. NPCs of BB for the most part remained quite static for most of the game and had little to offer. I felt BB's empty hub world in the Hunter's Dream contributed to this, and was part of the reason why I dread visiting it (besides the fact I was forced to with every warp). Nothing changed there with any character and there was no reason to visit. Not very good for a hub area.

7. General performance and visuals. Get rid of that chromatic abbreviation and fix your framerate and frame pacing. I know 60 fps is nothing but a dream on these consoles, but at the very least give us a solid 30.

8. Better the Chalice Dungeons. I don't know how, really. Just improve them. They're quite lousy and quickly become a bore to have to go through if you want the goodies.

9. Bosses that aren't lousy, like much of the second half. Less bosses that are completely helpless when you're behind them, please. And no more NPC bullshit like with Micolash.

10. New things to see in NG+ onward. One thing DS2 got right over every other Souls game to a certain degree. There were at least some new enemy placements that caught you off guard and made for a nice surprise. Replay value is rather lacking in BB and DS3, but at least DS3 has build variety to compensate. BB offers little, besides being really fucking good to experience all over against, but still. Speaking of which...

11. Build variety. I know BB has a specific play style in mind that makes it what it is compared to other Souls games, focusing on a solely aggressive and agile playstyle, but it takes away from build variety and that further removes reasons to replay. I'm not saying bring in the likes of shields and magic, but something needs to be done. It does little in the ways of being a RPG, if you can even call it that.

I'd like:
Proper frame pacing
More variety in weapons, armor, and builds
Better and more varied chalice dungeons
More variety in environments
Typical Dark Souls online functionality rather than the shitty bell system
Blood vials and bullets function like estus rather than being farmable consumables
Let me rest without returning to the hub
Oh and actual weapon drops instead of the lame pick up a badge that let's you buy stuff system.

DPB

I would like an increase in difficulty akin to The Old Hunters for the main experience. Easily, the most lenient of the Soulsborne titles due to all the systems in place. The Old Hunters brought it all together perfectly.

If they took that route, I think that'd be the first recent From Software game I'd skip. The Old Hunters is at the absolute limit of difficulty I can manage. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have the patience or skill to make it through an entire campaign that hard.

If they took that route, I think that'd be the first recent From Software game I'd skip. The Old Hunters is at the absolute limit of difficulty I can manage. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have the patience or skill to make it through an entire campaign that hard.

The old hunters made me submit. I couldn't get past Ludwig.

sjay1994

Sigh...

I really hope after Sony's E3 conference we don't have an avalanche of people complaining bloodborne 2 wasn't there.

To the people saying BB2 isn't happening: Most of what I suggested still works if we assume that From creates a multiplatform spiritual successor instead.

Their approaches to QOL mechanics have always varied wildly. It makes sense to want a lot of that stuff to be standardized across all of their Souls-style games, rather than mechanics that alternate between convenient and inconvenient from one game to the next.

It's crazy that we've had three straight games of "leveling-waifus" when Dark Souls got it perfectly by letting you level at bonfires. It's silly that BB makes you return to the hub every time you want to respawn enemies or replenish consumables. It's dumb that invasion and co-op systems have little consistency from game to game.

The Old Blood idea is big enough to work in so many periods and places. Wild West, Feudal Japan, Cyberpunk Future, etc. I could see it become an anthology series.

Of course I wouldn't mind more European influences, maybe branch out to more Italian and French sensibilities.

So many ways they could take it, and honestly, if it was just Yharnam again, I'd still be pumped.

My QoL request beside the Blood Vials obviously would be allowing R3 to be toggled off centering the camera. I'd like the choice at least.

Top Bottom