• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Pre E3 MS rumours: HD-DVD for 100 bucks and more..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Feb 17, 2006
2,383
0
1,325
41
Thanks to hardknock over at B3D, guess he found it from Teamxbox. The origin is from a spanish site, meristation.
Anyways, here goes...

-Xbox 360 Premium Pack price is going to drop $100 in October.
-Xbox 360 Core Pack price is going to drop $80 in October
-Gears of War is going to be released the last week of October with an huge marketing campaign at global scale.
-HD-DVD for the next month of September. Add-on that you can connect to the USB 2.0 port. It is going to be priced for $100
-New HardDisk Drive with 100GB of storage, price and date not specified.
-Webcam "My Eye on you", for the month of September with a price of $50 without game and $75 with a game.
-Xbox Backward compatibility list is going to be updated in June with 50 new titles
-The capacity of the Xbox Live Servers is going to be 5 times more than the actual servers
-Halo 3 is going to be in the market the next month of March, in E3 we are going to see the first videos.
-Possibility of an "urban game" that could be GTA. Microsoft is working on it and this isn´t a joke.
-A possible price drop in Xbox Live Gold or it is going to be free because they are going to get money with promotional advices.
-From the next month of October we are going to change some records in some games for "MSpoints".
-Paramount Pictures and Microsoft has anounced an agreement where Paramount is going to provide HD content to Xbox Live.
-NBC has signed with Microsoft for the possibility of see the online tournaments like an sports live retransmisión.
-Aliance between Epic and Microsoft for exclusive content in Xbox Live.
-Creation of a Dashboard for kids.
-A new service in june: Download and play.
-Rare is working in Kameo 2 since before the release of Kameo. Is going to come before than expected.
-MS is working for an upgraded friend list (until 200 contacts)
-Virtual Console with Sega games before the next month of October
-An spectacular upgrade in the number of Xbox Live Arcade games in the next months.
-New look for Dashboard.

B3D
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=740966&posted=1#post740966

origin:
http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=532235&m=
-------

more salt please!
 
Jan 30, 2006
6,684
0
0
41
UK
$100 price drop and a $100 add on?

So new buyers will get a HD-DVD XBox 360 for the same price as the original takers :lol :lol
 

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Mar 10, 2005
19,448
542
1,815
A good quality rumour is that cause it sounds plausible.

It would be nice if it's true and the price drop and other stuff would really stick it to Sony.
 

Blackcherry

Member
Jun 9, 2004
1,957
0
0
34
Maximilian E. said:
Thanks to hardknock over at B3D, guess he found it from Teamxbox. The origin is from a spanish site, meristation.
Anyways, here goes...

-Xbox 360 Premium Pack price is going to drop $100 in October.
-Xbox 360 Core Pack price is going to drop $80 in October
-Gears of War is going to be released the last week of October with an huge marketing campaign at global scale.
-HD-DVD for the next month of September. Add-on that you can connect to the USB 2.0 port. It is going to be priced for $100
-New HardDisk Drive with 100GB of storage, price and date not specified.
-Webcam "My Eye on you", for the month of September with a price of $50 without game and $75 with a game.
-Xbox Backward compatibility list is going to be updated in June with 50 new titles
-The capacity of the Xbox Live Servers is going to be 5 times more than the actual servers
-Halo 3 is going to be in the market the next month of March, in E3 we are going to see the first videos.
-Possibility of an "urban game" that could be GTA. Microsoft is working on it and this isn´t a joke.
-A possible price drop in Xbox Live Gold or it is going to be free because they are going to get money with promotional advices.
-From the next month of October we are going to change some records in some games for "MSpoints".
-Paramount Pictures and Microsoft has anounced an agreement where Paramount is going to provide HD content to Xbox Live.
-NBC has signed with Microsoft for the possibility of see the online tournaments like an sports live retransmisión.
-Aliance between Epic and Microsoft for exclusive content in Xbox Live.
-Creation of a Dashboard for kids.
-A new service in june: Download and play.
-Rare is working in Kameo 2 since before the release of Kameo. Is going to come before than expected.
-MS is working for an upgraded friend list (until 200 contacts)
-Virtual Console with Sega games before the next month of October
-An spectacular upgrade in the number of Xbox Live Arcade games in the next months.
-New look for Dashboard.

B3D
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=740966&posted=1#post740966

origin:
http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=532235&m=
-------

more salt please!
n pepper! All good news, 50+ BC games, price drop, HDDVD for 100$ FTW if it's true
 

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Oct 11, 2004
16,867
1
1,605
This sounds a bit fishy... If it's true, I guess the whole "making money" strategy this generation is going out the window again. :lol
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
6
0
HD DVD drive for $100 would be very, VERY nice. I would buy it.

I also want that 100 GB hdd. I hope MS offers an online storage facility for GOLD members where you can upload all your data off the hdd you want to keep, and the redownload it onto your new hdd.

Of course most of this will probably be fake. :/

$100 HD-DVD? Sounds like a cheap ass one if true...

It is only the drive and it will connect to your 360, where the system will do the decoding.
 

neptunes

Member
Jun 6, 2004
15,611
5
1,740
-HD-DVD for the next month of September. Add-on that you can connect to the USB 2.0 port. It is going to be priced for $100
huge if true.
-New HardDisk Drive with 100GB of storage, price and date not specified.
With how much they were banking on e-distribution itwas bound to happen sooner or later

-A new service in june: Download and play.
Xbox Backward compatibility list is going to be updated in June with 50 new titles
-MS is working for an upgraded friend list (until 200 contacts)
-Virtual Console with Sega games before the next month of October
-A possible price drop in Xbox Live Gold or it is going to be free because they are going to get money with promotional advices.
all good if true.

If it's true, I guess the whole "making money" strategy this generation is going out the window again.
How so?
 

VultureDude

Member
Feb 16, 2006
2,060
0
0
Vancouver Suburbs
it must be noted that this response is coming form someone who has never owned any hardware other than the Nintendo brand (although i recently came into possession of an oroginal [used] xbox)

Maximilian E. said:
Thanks to hardknock over at B3D, guess he found it from Teamxbox. The origin is from a spanish site, meristation.
Anyways, here goes...

-Xbox 360 Premium Pack price is going to drop $100 in October. I could and would actually buy this
-Xbox 360 Core Pack price is going to drop $80 in October
-Gears of War is going to be released the last week of October with an huge marketing campaign at global scale.not interested, too many superior 360 games
-HD-DVD for the next month of September. Add-on that you can connect to the USB 2.0 port. It is going to be priced for $100 no HDTV :( thus meaningless
-New HardDisk Drive with 100GB of storage, price and date not specified.
-Webcam "My Eye on you", for the month of September with a price of $50 without game and $75 with a game.no eyetoy plz
-Xbox Backward compatibility list is going to be updated in June with 50 new titlesthank god
-The capacity of the Xbox Live Servers is going to be 5 times more than the actual servers
-Halo 3 is going to be in the market the next month of March, in E3 we are going to see the first videos.
-Possibility of an "urban game" that could be GTA. Microsoft is working on it and this isn´t a joke.nver owned a GTA game and haven't been impressed by my hands on time
-A possible price drop in Xbox Live Gold or it is going to be free because they are going to get money with promotional advices.good, i hate fees along with prices downloadable content
-From the next month of October we are going to change some records in some games for "MSpoints".
-Paramount Pictures and Microsoft has anounced an agreement where Paramount is going to provide HD content to Xbox Live.
-NBC has signed with Microsoft for the possibility of see the online tournaments like an sports live retransmisión.
-Aliance between Epic and Microsoft for exclusive content in Xbox Live.
-Creation of a Dashboard for kids.
-A new service in june: Download and play.virtual console rentals?
-Rare is working in Kameo 2 since before the release of Kameo. Is going to come before than expected.[/B]it's rare, i really don't think i need to say any more[/B]
-MS is working for an upgraded friend list (until 200 contacts)
-Virtual Console with Sega games before the next month of October Sega is gonna be rolling in the money when this and Nintendo's gets released...
-An spectacular upgrade in the number of Xbox Live Arcade games in the next months.
-New look for Dashboard. don't break what's not broken

B3D
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=740966&posted=1#post740966

origin:
http://zonaforo.meristation.com/foros/viewtopic.php?t=532235&m=
-------

more salt please!
 

SuperPac

Member
Jun 7, 2004
7,942
0
1,365
44
Atlanta, GA
Maximilian E. said:
-Xbox 360 Premium Pack price is going to drop $100 in October.
-Xbox 360 Core Pack price is going to drop $80 in October

Well these are wrong. Why in the hell would they announce in May that they're going to drop the price in October? Especially when they don't know what PS3's price is. If PS3 is $500, then they don't need to do anything with the price.
 

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Feb 17, 2006
2,383
0
1,325
41
Mrbob said:
H

I also want that 100 GB hdd. I hope MS offers an online storage facility for GOLD members where you can upload all your data off the hdd you want to keep, and the redownload it onto your new hdd.

actually.. this might maybe happen..

The vole has plans to build a virtual hard drive in the sky for every user, in a strategic move that puts the Web at the centre of Microsoft's universe.

Named Live Drive, Microsoft's storage-in-the-sky scheme is similar to one inadvertently leaked by Google, with its plans for a GDrive.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31125
---------

Maybe some of this comes to XboxLive?
 

Furoba

Member
Jan 17, 2006
3,379
4
1,420
BorkBork said:
This sounds a bit fishy... If it's true, I guess the whole "making money" strategy this generation is going out the window again. :lol

+7 billion dollar loss at the end of 2009 FTW! ;)
 

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jun 11, 2004
23,371
3
0
48
Bournemouth, UK
www.ibar.com
Wouldn't the other HD-DVD partners object to this? I'm not sure if they're able to influence Microsoft's decision, but as they all need each other really it sounds a bit dodgy.

I know you need the 360, but the perceived value of it being $99 will hurt stand alone players. Also there's the whole HDMI business, it's going to have to be a bit more than a bare bones drive.

It seems more like the 'dream' price to me. But going by the pricing of the other peripherals I'd be surprised if it turns out to be true. Unless there is some underlying plan where they want a big HD-DVD take-up among the existing userbase ...
 

evilromero

Member
Jun 15, 2004
18,258
1
1,450
DefectiveReject said:
$100 price drop and a $100 add on?

So new buyers will get a HD-DVD XBox 360 for the same price as the original takers :lol :lol

THIS is why I'm glad I waited at launch. Early adopters cry. If this turns out to be true I'll feel validation for my efforts to abstain from buying a 360. It'll suck waiting till October though. But the price will finally be right. $400 for an HD-DVD 360 combo.
 

GhaleonEB

Member
Jun 7, 2004
77,906
3
1,490
Oregon
I wonder how much of this may be confirmed/announced at E3. We know a big Live upgrade is coming, and they've tested the waters with a free weekend, and now week, with sponsorship. So making it totally free seems like an evolution.

Halo 3 next spring would be utterly perfect timing, and price drop only makes sense if supply is waaaaaay up.

VultureDude said:
who would actually invest in the MS game division? or does it's stock come conveniently packaged with MS in general...
Oh my.
 

monkeyrun

Member
Oct 8, 2004
2,150
1
0
Maximilian E. said:
-Webcam "My Eye on you", for the month of September with a price of $50 without game and $75 with a game.


FINAL FANTASY FOR 360 CONFIRMED !!!
 
Mar 19, 2005
4,963
0
0
Dayton OH
Nash said:
Wouldn't the other HD-DVD partners object to this? I'm not sure if they're able to influence Microsoft's decision, but as they all need each other really it sounds a bit dodgy.

I know you need the 360, but the perceived value of it being $99 will hurt stand alone players. Also there's the whole HDMI business, it's going to have to be a bit more than a bare bones drive.

It seems more like the 'dream' price to me. But going by the pricing of the other peripherals I'd be surprised if it turns out to be true. Unless there is some underlying plan where they want a big HD-DVD take-up among the existing userbase ...

how theyd still have to buy the 360?? the ps3 is gonna hurt all standalone BR players
 

Juice

Member
Dec 16, 2004
14,722
3
0
Three things point to this rumor being true:
1) It's all plausible (some good, some great, some "eh"... $50 fucking dollars for the webcam?)
2) It's in bullet points and not some long-winded pontification.
3) Microsoft has been so bad at keeping secrets that every other rumor to date has been true, why not this?


Notes:
-Bigger HDD is a no brainer now that MS actually makes more money the more shit you put on it.
-Free Live Gold makes sense now that people want to advertise for it. Charging a premium for online play (if it's sponsored) is really pushing it, as the online play is going to be the free part of Nintendo's service (and probably Sony's).
-Dropping the Core to $199 would be genius for this fall, that number is going to really really set it apart from the $399/$499 PS3 when people see ads in the paper.

In fact, with the core that cheap, Nintendo might really want to think twice before pricing the Revolution at $199.
 

BigGreenMat

Member
Jun 15, 2004
3,190
0
0
SuperPac said:
Well these are wrong. Why in the hell would they announce in May that they're going to drop the price in October? Especially when they don't know what PS3's price is. If PS3 is $500, then they don't need to do anything with the price.

The minute I saw the price drops I knew this was crap. They are not dropping the prices that drastically that quickly. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Not to mention they haven't even gotten production ramped up to the levels they need it yet how do you figure they are going to become efficient enough to drop the price over 25%?
 

Blackcherry

Member
Jun 9, 2004
1,957
0
0
34
Newduck said:
Far too many of those rumours sound like good ideas for it to be true.
What kept me spetical is the 100$ HDDVD addon. It's possible to sell it at such a low price? i don't think so
 
Feb 24, 2005
2,576
0
0
Maximilian E. said:
-Gears of War is going to be released the last week of October with an huge marketing campaign at global scale.

gears of war just doesn't strike me as a huge mass market-appealing title. i'd say it's more akin to the "onimusha" calibre of mass market awareness (or something, who cares)

but honestly, i'd like to see gears of war stay as an xbox exclusive. it's no secret halo is the system's only true, exclusive SYSTEM SELLER (console launches don't count, PGR fans)
 

pinkatrophe

Member
Feb 26, 2006
1,822
6
0
35
here
If indeed the Premium price drops $100 and the PS3 ends up being too expensive to afford / to find, I may pick a 360 up this fall.
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
43,343
2
1,645
Blackcherry said:
What kept me spetical is the 100$ HDDVD addon. It's possible to sell it at such a low price? i don't think so

That's about the only bit that had me wondering either, but I guess it could be doable if they've managed to offload all the processing etc. to the 360 itself. But then one wonders how the signal will get out of the machine..surely MS isn't going to rely on studios not using ICT.
 
Jul 24, 2005
238
0
0
36
www.bazyrayaneh.com
Maximilian E. said:
Thanks to hardknock over at B3D, guess he found it from Teamxbox. The origin is from a spanish site, meristation.
Anyways, here goes...

-Xbox 360 Premium Pack price is going to drop $100 in October.
-Xbox 360 Core Pack price is going to drop $80 in October
-Gears of War is going to be released the last week of October with an huge marketing campaign at global scale.
-HD-DVD for the next month of September. Add-on that you can connect to the USB 2.0 port. It is going to be priced for $100

-New HardDisk Drive with 100GB of storage, price and date not specified.
-Webcam "My Eye on you", for the month of September with a price of $50 without game and $75 with a game.
-Xbox Backward compatibility list is going to be updated in June with 50 new titles
-The capacity of the Xbox Live Servers is going to be 5 times more than the actual servers
-Halo 3 is going to be in the market the next month of March, in E3 we are going to see the first videos.
-Possibility of an "urban game" that could be GTA. Microsoft is working on it and this isn´t a joke.
-A possible price drop in Xbox Live Gold or it is going to be free because they are going to get money with promotional advices.
-From the next month of October we are going to change some records in some games for "MSpoints".
-Paramount Pictures and Microsoft has anounced an agreement where Paramount is going to provide HD content to Xbox Live.
-NBC has signed with Microsoft for the possibility of see the online tournaments like an sports live retransmisión.
-Aliance between Epic and Microsoft for exclusive content in Xbox Live.
-Creation of a Dashboard for kids.
-A new service in june: Download and play.
-Rare is working in Kameo 2 since before the release of Kameo. Is going to come before than expected.
-MS is working for an upgraded friend list (until 200 contacts)
-Virtual Console with Sega games before the next month of October
-An spectacular upgrade in the number of Xbox Live Arcade games in the next months.
-New look for Dashboard.

WOAH!
Supercalifliglisticexpialodacious IF TRUE! :D
 

Elios83

Member
Jun 30, 2004
15,244
2,223
1,770
MS in 2005: This time profitable in early 2007!! :lol :D

Anyway they're just rumors,it could be a wish list as far as we know at the moment.The HD DVD add on will bomb big time IMO.
The 100$ price cut on the premium pack is a really good thing,also something which comes as expected after a year on the market and with such strong competition coming.But we'll see.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
6
0
I think a 100 dollar pricedrop on the premium package is too much, but it would mean MS is serious about grabbing some major marketshare in this upcoming generation. A $219.99 core package and a $299.99 premium package is an interesting strategy, because MS would effectively be able to fight two fronts at once. Rev which will probably be $199.99 and PS3 which will probably be $399.99. Of course the big pricedrop could backfire and the X360 could be seen as an inferior system to the PS3 then. At the same time, with a $100.00 HD DVD drive and a $299.99 premium system MS is basically offering the same package as the PS3, while letting consumers decide if they want HD movies or not. Could be a great strategy.
 

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Oct 10, 2005
40,623
1
0
35
www.flickr.com
Blackcherry said:
What kept me spetical is the 100$ HDDVD addon. It's possible to sell it at such a low price? i don't think so

Its possible if its just slim drive with just the laser diode and the mechanical components. I can see it being $100
 

Beer Monkey

Member
Mar 3, 2005
23,925
5
1,225
Cincinnati
www.tehbias.com
Elios83 said:
Anyway they're just rumors,it could be a wish list as far as we know at the moment.The HD DVD add on will bomb big time IMO.

Virtually every high-def 360 owner I know would be tempted at $100. Hell, I'd buy it, and I was dead set against an add-on drive. $100 is way too good to be true.
 
Feb 24, 2005
2,576
0
0
Maximilian E. said:
-Webcam "My Eye on you", for the month of September with a price of $50 without game and $75 with a game.

if they call it "X-Eye" i'll throw up and squeeze a breast for all the homies out there (one love). shit - how bout a petition to get it called, "3 X 3 Eye" that'd be so awesome.
 

evilromero

Member
Jun 15, 2004
18,258
1
1,450
Blackcherry said:
What kept me spetical is the 100$ HDDVD addon. It's possible to sell it at such a low price? i don't think so
HD-DVD players are substantially cheaper than Blu-Ray players. With the 360 performing much of the necessary processes the player doesn't need as many components as a stand-alone. Essentially the 360 would be doing the brunt of the work, with the HDMI output on the add-on itself. USB 2.0 would be to exchange data needed for processing information I'm sure. I can get a standard HD-DVD player for $500 now, if not cheaper so this isn't a surprise.
 

Joe

Member
Jun 6, 2004
14,931
0
0
$100 hd-dvd drive IS too good to be true. but if it is true...im definitely getting one.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
6
0
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Virtually every high-def 360 owner I know would be tempted at $100. Hell, I'd buy it, and I was dead set against an add-on drive. $100 is way too good to be true.


Yeah it does sound too good to be true (I would hop on that add on right away), but at the same time it makes perfect sense, assuming Sony is going to price the PS3 at $399.99. It would put the premium 360 w/ HD movie drive at the exact same pricepoint. Just that the drive is optional and not forced on consumers who don't want it.
 

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jun 11, 2004
23,371
3
0
48
Bournemouth, UK
www.ibar.com
BlueTsunami said:
Its possible if its just slim drive with just the laser diode and the mechanical components. I can see it being $100

What about HDMI? It's going to have to be more than a barebones thing.

They wouldn't really sell an HD-DVD add-on, for an HD console that won't let you watch movies in HD, surely?
 

bill0527

Member
Jul 21, 2004
12,030
2
1,600
Evansville, IN
evilromero said:
THIS is why I'm glad I waited at launch. Early adopters cry. If this turns out to be true I'll feel validation for my efforts to abstain from buying a 360. It'll suck waiting till October though. But the price will finally be right. $400 for an HD-DVD 360 combo.

I won't be crying a bit.

I've easily gotten that extra $100 worth of entertainment value from my launch Xbox360.
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
43,343
2
1,645
evilromero said:
HD-DVD players are substantially cheaper than Blu-Ray players. With the 360 performing much of the necessary processes the player doesn't need as many components as a stand-alone. Essentially the 360 would be doing the brunt of the work, with the HDMI output on the add-on itself.

It can't really work like that. USB doesn't have enough bandwidth to feed back a decoded signal to the HDMI-output on the addon.

Mrbob said:
At the same time, with a $100.00 HD DVD drive and a $299.99 premium system MS is basically offering the same package as the PS3

Whilst I don't think it's worth arguing while this is a rumour, basically would have to be a very operative word ;)
 

IJoel

Member
Jun 6, 2004
6,644
0
0
I don't expect any drops in price for the system. If anything they might do a 2 game pack with PGR3 and Kameo. Even if they go with a price drop, $100 seems way too steep.

The $100 HDDVD drive seems too good to be true. I'd expect it to be at least $150. I'm having a hard time keeping myself from buying the new HDDVD players that are out at the moment. A cheap quality player would guarantee my purchase, and certainly wouldn't bomb.

It can't really work like that. USB doesn't have enough bandwidth to feed back a decoded signal to the HDMI-output on the addon.
A HDD passthrough (SATA) would do the trick.
 

Beer Monkey

Member
Mar 3, 2005
23,925
5
1,225
Cincinnati
www.tehbias.com
Mrbob said:
Yeah it does sound too good to be true (I would hop on that add on right away), but at the same time it makes perfect sense, assuming Sony is going to price the PS3 at $399.99. It would put the premium 360 w/ HD movie drive at the exact same pricepoint. Just that the drive is optional and not forced on consumers who don't want it.

Hell, if PS3 is $399 with Blu-Ray movie playback, 60GB hard drive, and a wireless controller, that's also too good to be true in my eyes. Consumers win all around.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.