• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-glorified violence | The late-70s and 80s Hip-Hop thread

I can never hear that song and not think of this.

MasterCornholio MasterCornholio

giphy.gif

Humpty rules!!!!

Ok so at this point in time, for me anyways, it is easy to think of Will Smith as a cornball. With his lame acting, his more commercialized Big Willy Style type music and all that. But there was a time in the 80s when he and Jazzy Jeff tore shit up. They were such a great duo, played off each other so well. Jazzy Jeff is a fantastic dj and the shit he came up with Will Smith played off of fantastically.

These two tunes imo portray exactly what I'm talking about...

highrider

Banned
Oh man, everyone in this thread has upped their cool credentials 1000% with me lol.

Alright stop, and check it out my man, this is the music of a hip hop band..

You guys really should have seen me. I was a young highrider, full of hope and moxie. I had a 87 caprice with a tape deck and a bag of weed playing pick up ball in Rock Creek Park then going to the dance spot in DC where I’d bust my fresh b-boy dance skills. Good times, I haven’t really changed I just can’t break dance anymore. I’m too injury prone in my 50s but I still bust out pop and footwork routines all the time alone at home lol.

Last edited:
Oh man, everyone in this thread has upped their cool credentials 1000% with me lol.

Alright stop, and check it out my man, this is the music of a hip hop band..

You guys really should have seen me. I was a young highrider, full of hope and moxie. I had a 87 caprice with a tape deck and a bag of weed playing pick up ball in Rock Creek Park then going to the dance spot in DC where I’d bust my fresh b-boy dance skills. Good times, I haven’t really changed I just can’t break dance anymore. I’m too injury prone in my 50s but I still bust out pop and footwork routines all the time alone at home lol.

Ahhhhhh no way that tune came up on my track list on Friday at work. I work on jobsites where unfortunately the main tunes being played are the classic rock station, i assume because it is inoffensive? Or something? I dunno. But that is the go to. More often than not I'll just have one earbud in to listen to my own stuff but Friday I was all alone. That jobsite had never witnessed the level of vibin before I am certain of it.

To more strictly adhere to what I assume is the tone of this thread, one can't sleep on the native tongue collective. Members included monie love, black sheep, queen latifa, tribe called quest, jungle brothers, de la soul among others. Here they are collaborating on the Jungle Brothers tune "Doin our own dang".

I much preferred the album version over the video cut. I always found the video had an awkward sound to it. Once again Monie Love lays down some good lyrics. I had such a crush on her back in the day ha.

Haha speaking of having crushes as a little kid, the first time j saw this video that was it. I was infatuated with Daisy Castro.

Alright so here we go. This is the story of how a young Phunkydiabetic was introduced to and subsequently fell in love with hiphop, especially since it fits the theme.

I was young, I think around 9 or 10 when my parents bought me a Walkman. You know like those 80s style Walkman that were the size of a kaiser roll and had the shitty headphones that were just a thin piece of metal with the round foam drivers. It came as a pack with the self titled Run-DMC tape and De La Soul, 3 feet and rising.

I remember listening to De La Soul, going through the whole tape and generally liking it. But it wasn't until it hit this tune deep in the tape...

...and that was it. I was hooked. The beat grabbed me. That doo do doo do doo doo doo in the back. The scratched "ohh ohhhh ohh oh oh". The smooth delivery of the lyrics. Everything everything about this tune is phenomenal. I credit this song with single handedly starting my love for the culture and the music of hiphop. I rocked that fuckin tape until it burst.

When I hear that tune today (still part of my rotation) I still get goosebumps, no lie.

Top Bottom