• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-ordering these consoles are out of control

Like the title pre-ordering PS5 is a nightmare years ago you were allowed to pre-order without restrictions! I think Sony is manufacturing the demand it's not worth waiting in line and it's not worth stressing about trying to get one I'll wait and if Sony decides to get off their asses and open pre-orders up to everyone and just qué them up (which is what should be done) I'd rather wait it out until the console is available I have a Playstation 4 pro so I'm not in a desperate situation but as a life long fan of playstation I have to say Sony dropped the ball on that one. I don't know what frustrations Xbox fans are going through but the pre-ordering process just stinks

GHG

Gold Member
The whole pre-order system is now rigged in favour of scalpers due to the fact that anyone who wants to can programme their own bot or buy some.

Legitimate consumers don't stand a chance.

This isn't something that's exclusive to consoles either. It's the same for any high demand product that's sold online in limited quantities. Even getting new release sneakers online is a joke now.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Agreed. Feels like Im honestly waiting until March. I drove by gamestop at 8:30 last night and people were lined up for a pre order. Never witnessed a line for a product not out for 6 weeks.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don't remember having any trouble with the PS4. I think I just logged on Amazon at a random time and ordered one. My friend who doesn't game too much and doesn't spend much time online even got a PS4 at launch. He isn't able to get a PS5 currently.

it's obvious to me the demand will be even higher for PS5 when people see how fast it is

if i had the cash flow, i'd buy as many as i can...but maybe i can craigslist a wait in line on launch day.

if you had the money and didn't want to wait in line 15 hours in a pandemic to get a PS5, would you buy someone a PS5 to do it for you?

if so, im your guy

Gamerguy84

I think up to 40% of pre order stock is tied up by people scalpers and by people who have ordered 3 and 4 but only plan on keeping one. They do it to "insure they get 1".

Scalpers on the other hand can suck 1.

Sites need to change their ability to secure one by charging the person ordering immediately, put a hold for the amount on the card.

Sony were also a bag of dicks about it all.

MiguelItUp

Yeah console preordering has always felt like a pain in the ass. I can't remember the last time I did it. I typically would just go and buy one as soon as I got my hands on one. It was typically a week or a few after launch.

This just feels excessively worse than usual, but I'm sure it's because it's covid/quarantine and ALL online for the most part, lol.

johntown

Banned
I have almost given up at this point. I still try when I hear about some coming back into stock but I am not dedicated anymore than an hour to it. Most likely end up getting one sometime after launch.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This didn't seem any different to last gen...with the exception of one of the Next-Gen consoles still being in stock days after pre-orders went live..
That's different 🤔

ethomaz

Banned
It was always like that.

Worst... now you can preorder online while in the past you have to go to the store with the infinite lines.

I'll bet that within a week of launch, you'll be able to stroll in to your local game shop and pick up either PS5 or Xboxes from the shelves.

Either that, i put way too much faith in people being sensible in times of dire uncertainty

BRZBlue

TBH, I wish sites would just create wait-lists already. Stop drip dropping and let me get on a list and let me know. That's the only way to really combat scalpers, especially the bots that are getting 30 or 40 at a time.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't remember having any trouble with the PS4. I think I just logged on Amazon at a random time and ordered one. My friend who doesn't game too much and doesn't spend much time online even got a PS4 at launch. He isn't able to get a PS5 currently.
It is because pre orders went live in June before hype and holidays. I warned everyone this would happen every day pre orders were delayed the worse for real gamers. Next batch should be PSN lottery but only accounts active over 2 years to cut off more scalpers.

Elginer

I’ll be honest, it has been nuts. I got lucky as fuck and as soon as I got home from work was able to get one at Target. Glad I didn’t wait for Best Buy which was a shit show

Rossco EZ

i’m surprised so many people have had trouble, hasn’t been that bad for me at all. got both so far. managed to get an xbox in about 30 seconds using my phone. most trouble i’ve had is having to refresh a page for a few minutes :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Reactions: TLZ

GetemMa

Scalpers using Low effort bots have made the pre-order process a shit show. I Don't mind waiting. The Pandemic probably hasn't been great for supply and logistics either. 2020 has been monumental series of awfulness for pretty much everything.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i’m surprised so many people have had trouble, hasn’t been that bad for me at all. got both so far. managed to get an xbox in about 30 seconds using my phone. most trouble i’ve had is having to refresh a page for a few minutes :messenger_tears_of_joy:
tenor.gif

Mr Hyde

I was lucky enough to secure a pre-order but now I'm worried I won't receive it on launch. I haven't got any message that says otherwise but something doesn't feel right in this pre-order turmoil. It's just a hunch but I expect to get fucked and having to wait for the console to drop.

I’ve gotten very lucky with the online preordering for the next gen consoles. XSX was pretty painless from best buy although it did take a while to get it to add to my cart. The ps5 preorder was alot harder to nab. But it went through. Been f5ing sites for days.

At EU they were hard to get on many places.

I wanted to get ps4 too late, near the launch and it took maybe 1-2 weeks to find them by checking most stores of my country + 5-10 european amazon + other stores.

Not sure if this were just after the launch, maybe.

Anyway I used hours every day to find one, and finally found gamer bundle on france Amazon by forum hint.

They were sold out in local stores until early 2014, so 2 months maybe, then they were somewhat available, sometimes sold out but mostly available.

And I werent the only one, ps4 were hard to get

PS5 sold out even faster, under a minute. Now they estimate that because first 2 batches sold out, next customers get theirs january - march 2021

So almost the same as with ps4 but bit worse

Meanwhile series x/s is still available for launch as they dont sell so well here + at least one another european country.

Last edited:
They got like 45m PS Plus subscribers..... they're shipping like 10-15m for Fiscal Year.

That's a good metric to know how many are really invested in the PlayStation ecosystem. There are roughly 20-30m ready to jump in with the same purchasing power you have. There are literal lines for pre-orders outside physical stores. Demand is exceeding supply atm and no one wants to be left.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 is coming You think “oh I’ll pre order” these reserve outages are on Wii levels there should be a solution, my guess is people who pre order won’t get their consoles around the world because Sony’s concerns is the virus, and won’t make any # claims the whole thing is suspicious people should be hyped not suspicious.

Like the title pre-ordering PS5 is a nightmare years ago you were allowed to pre-order without restrictions! I think Sony is manufacturing the demand it's not worth waiting in line and it's not worth stressing about trying to get one I'll wait and if Sony decides to get off their asses and open pre-orders up to everyone and just qué them up (which is what should be done) I'd rather wait it out until the console is available I have a Playstation 4 pro so I'm not in a desperate situation but as a life long fan of playstation I have to say Sony dropped the ball on that one. I don't know what frustrations Xbox fans are going through but the pre-ordering process just stinks

It was the most aggravation ive had in months. Its in my basket, crash. Checkout, crash. Readd, crash. checkout again, crash. Fucking terrible.

Glad i got it though. dont wanna go through that again.

Last edited:
Reactions: KO7

cucuchu

I work and can't commit to sitting in front of a computer 24/7 waiting for orders to go live. I've had some success with these preorders. Here is how:

Look up distill alerts. Its a super easy to set up plugin for your browser and will alert you the second a website is updated. You will get some false positives but you will also know the moment you can order something. If you have trouble setting it up, let me know, I'd be more than happy to help. EDIT: Make sure you select the specific elements of a webpage that you want notifications of changing, such as the 'Notify me when available' which will change to Add to cart. Do NOT just select the entire web page, you will get a metric shit ton of false positive alerts.

ALSO, even more easy mode....

Step 1: Create Twitter account
Step 2: Follow Wario64
Step 3: Push Alerts to Phone
Step 4: Click on the link to buy the console of your choice when it appears.

Dude has links within seconds of them going up. More importantly, he has alternative links to Amazon listings that you wouldn't find by just searching for it right away on your app or desktop.

Last edited:
Is it only in America that it is so chaotic?
I haven't seen much panic or problems here in my little EU country.

Yeah, this is why. Especially if you're in Eastern Europe. On the other hand, when you live in a big country full of people who grew up with consoles for the past 40 years... :messenger_winking:

Top Bottom