• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-ordering these consoles are out of control

reinking

Gold Member
Im not sure what your saying exactly. Yes they are hard to get, outside of day 1. Even then people had to hit F5 a million times as you say.

People have secured 3 and 4 just to get 1, I have seen many people say that. Those that have got 2 because they needed 2 is not what I was talking about. I was thinking stock will free up come time to pay because people are going to cancel a lot when they get their shipping notification.

The whole thing I wrote was that 10 percent of customers actually have 30 to 40% of stock locked up. The only people I have any ill will for are scalpers. I see some people call it capitalism but its a shit tactic to grab an item and add $300 dollars to it.

Last gen my wife surprised me with a preorder for a PS4 without knowing I had also got one. I got two of them on launch day. I took one of those and drove to gamestop and grabbed the last customer standing in line and asked if he had cash, if he didn't I would have asked the next. I sold him the PS4 on the spot for cost and tax. He wasn't going to get one in that line and knew it. Me and him are still PSN friends.

Enjoy your PS5.
Forgive me if I misunderstand what your complaint is. I thought it was about the preorders being scarce. If if is about scalpers. Yes, I agree. I used to not mind them as much when they had to put in work driving from store-to-store. They were not able to make as big of a dent in the preorder stock because preorders would sell out before they could get too many.

What I was saying is that preorders are hard to get but as you pointed out some people have managed to get more than one (without bots I assumed). Those people put in the work to do it so it is not impossible. Yes, like almost every other console launch, if you do not get in on day one it gets much harder. I used to manage an EB Games. I can tell you from experience most console launches sell out pretty quickly. This is not new to PS5/XBS.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im not sure what your saying exactly. Yes they are hard to get, outside of day 1. Even then people had to hit F5 a million times as you say.

People have secured 3 and 4 just to get 1, I have seen many people say that. Those that have got 2 because they needed 2 is not what I was talking about. I was thinking stock will free up come time to pay because people are going to cancel a lot when they get their shipping notification.

The whole thing I wrote was that 10 percent of customers actually have 30 to 40% of stock locked up. The only people I have any ill will for are scalpers. I see some people call it capitalism but its a shit tactic to grab an item and add $300 dollars to it.

Last gen my wife surprised me with a preorder for a PS4 without knowing I had also got one. I got two of them on launch day. I took one of those and drove to gamestop and grabbed the last customer standing in line and asked if he had cash, if he didn't I would have asked the next. I sold him the PS4 on the spot for cost and tax. He wasn't going to get one in that line and knew it. Me and him are still PSN friends.

Enjoy your PS5.
I hate scalpers with every fiber in my body, BUT I hate enablers of scalpers even more. Scalping would 100% go away if people didn't give in.

Also, MS and Sony should have implemented a pre-order database where only one console could be pre-ordered per address/per credit card regardless of the retailer for like the first 2 million consoles. After that, THEN allow an extra console into each address/household. Would it have been perfect? No, but it would have made it possible for far more people to get one. MS and Sony also should have sent out loyal customer pre-orders that were 100% legit based on being in their ecosystem. Live members of 15+ years and PS+ members of 8+ years would be given first dibs. That would have been an awesome system. It wouldn't have been perfect, but it would be a 1000X better than sitting around doing F5 all day.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There should be no pre-orders. People should be required to walk into a store and buy it on launch day and for a few weeks, retailers should not allow more than 1 per person.
I feel like that would cause even more chaos since it becomes first come first served and people will starting rushing the stores like you see in Black Fridays.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I feel like that would cause even more chaos since it becomes first come first served and people will starting rushing the stores like you see in Black Fridays.
Yeah, and people getting assaulted in the parking lot. Given the craziness of 2020, I could see shit getting out of control.

Zog

Banned

It would severely slow down the scalpers and it would stop the F5 warriors. I think it's worth it. Stores wouldn't even have to put them away, just leave them on the pallet and have one or two employees handing them out to people in line. Midnight launches used to be a thing.

Last edited:

Danjin44

It would severely slow down the scalpers and it would stop the F5 warriors. I think it's worth it.
Is it?
5be1bfe5f556fc336f0d4ba6

Gamerguy84

In the US several people lost their lives over a PS4. In this case a MLG gamer is dead and two others are in prison. I have no idea what goes through peoples mind.

Zog

Banned
I find this waaaay worse.

This is Black Friday where there are many many things on sale. I doubt it would be so hectic for just 1 or 2 items. Have you never heard of midnight launches? There would be one line per pallet. I know that pre-order culture has become so common that people can't even consider what shopping was like before the F5 button but every launch wasn't Black Friday.

Last edited:

Danjin44

This is Black Friday where there are many many things on sale. I doubt it would be so hectic for just 1 or 2 items. Have you never heard of midnight launches? There would be one line per pallet. I know that pre-order culture has become so common that people can't even consider what shopping was like before the F5 button but every launch wasn't Black Friday.
I pre-ordered my PS5 on my local EBgames and what they do is you can get appointment of what time you can pick up your pre-order and only 2-3 people can be at one time.

Zog

Banned
I pre-ordered my PS5 on my local EBgames and what they do is you can get appointment of what time you can pick up your pre-order and only 2-3 people can be at one time.

Maybe they should just have only 2-3 people in the store at a time and sell them on launch day?

Danjin44

Maybe they should just have only 2-3 people in the store at a time and sell them on launch day?
In my local Ebgames you choose what time you can pick up your pr-order. For example: if you choose 10am to pick up your console then 1-2 more other people can choose that time but others have to choose different time.

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Never even tried to pre-order it's not worth the agro at all. I'll get them when the content worth playing is actually available and by that time it will be as easy as same day delivery.

Zog

Banned
In my local Ebgames you choose what time you can pick up your pr-order. For example: if you choose 10am to pick up your console then 1-2 more other people can choose that time but others have to choose different time.
That's great and I am sure it's just because of COVID but how does this stop scalpers?

Zog

Banned
I don't know it would stop scalpers but it does stop the crazy busy lines in stores.
How would it not stop scalpers? If they can only buy one at a time and they have to go to the store? At the least it would severely slow them down.

Ah forget it, you guys enjoy your pre-order headaches, you've earned them.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
Bots,scalpers and what I believe is Sony pushing the disc version above the digital in initial preorders. I think Sony is constraining stock intentionally and as a customer I don't appreciate it. I think the majority of stock in stores on launch day will probably be digital editions.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Tie hardware to subscriptions and don't allow customers to purchase, instead rent it until its paid off. That would be one solution. A shitty one of course, but a solution none the less. I feel they would make more money too as they could sign you to contracts just like TV or your phone.

Of course, this just breeds a whole host of other issues that nobody wants. But hey, its solves the scalper issues. I guess the scalper issues isn't really that big of a deal after all. Just wait a couple months more.

teezzy

Banned
^ lol my buddy was boasting about the Xbox layaway thing like "dude, you only have to pay like $35 a month until its paid off!"

I was like, "dude, you still have a PS4 backlog - chill"

Like, if you can't afford a fucking $500 box... maybe don't buy that shit right now. You need to develop a savings first. People are buying these consoles as if they're kids still. This whole "got to have it" mindset is childish.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Look like it's the case in US mostly, here in Canada I could have ordered 3 of each PS5 and XSX. So I dunno.

in Canada just east of the GTA and have experienced the same result. In fact, I returned one I ordered extra by accident as it must have accidentally gone through when I refreshed the screen and tried again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom