• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pre-TGS Japanese rumor checklist - DQ10 = MMO-like? (And other fun stuff!)

Jonnyram

Spiegel said:
This move doesn't make any financial sense unless Nintendo has spent some dollars getting MH on 3DS because this means that there won't be a MHP3G PSP game which also means that Capcom does not want tons of free money.
I think the assumption here is that MH3 -> MH3G and MHP3rd -> MHP3rd G. The issue with this logic is that 3DS is a portable, so would be more likely to use MHP3rd as a base.

Slime

Banned
Spiegel said:
This move doesn't make any financial sense unless Nintendo has spent some dollars getting MH on 3DS because this means that there won't be a MHP3G PSP game which also means that Capcom does not want tons of free money.

They could've easily released MHP3G early next year for PSP and a Vita cardtridge. Same game (zero added development costs), cross-compatible (without splitting the userbase). Then if people moved from PSP to Vita, fine, Vita gets more MH games. But If that didn't happen MHP4 will go to 3DS or Vita depending on the userbase and "incentives".

Now they are splitting the userbase and gambling a bit with the future of the franchise while throwing away their safest option (MHP3G PSP)

Well, like gofreak speculated earlier, maybe they're trying to spin it off into two portable "franchises." Nintendo handhelds get the "G" revisions on main console titles, while Sony handhelds get the "Portable __" games that are loosely inspired by the main console titles.

Edt: beatennn

Spiegel said:

They could've easily released MHP3G early next year for PSP and a Vita cardtridge. Same game (zero added development costs), cross-compatible (without splitting the userbase). Then if people moved from PSP to Vita, fine, Vita gets more MH games. But If that didn't happen MHP4 will go to 3DS or Vita depending on the userbase and "incentives".

Now they are splitting the userbase and gambling a bit with the future of the franchise while throwing away their safest option (MHP3G PSP)

Anyway, good news for 3DS-only owners and MH fans.
Long term investment?

Trying to build an user base now and then join the Pokemon and Dragon Quest comunity success, all in one platform?

Thanks for the "good news" edit though, I'm really with Monster Hunter 3D. :')

Gaspode_T

Random Genie Hat Prediction: Capcom will troll their own fans and release two different versions of Monhan, one for Vita that is basically MHP4, one for 3DS that is a little bit less grinding/more kid oriented (something in between the iOS game and a real game, maybe made by the team that did the iOS game).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Slime said:
Well, like gofreak speculated earlier, maybe they're trying to spin it off into two portable "franchises." Nintendo handhelds get the "G" revisions on main console titles, while Sony handhelds get the "Portable __" games that are loosely inspired by the main console titles.

Edt: beatennn

I dunno if it'll be sustainable into a new series though (?) Maybe they're trying to figure out how to keep both Nintendo and Sony happy, but their fans mightn't be sure which way to go if they have two parallel portable tracks going into a fourth series.

But maybe the G revisions and portable revisions are really going to be very similar anyway from a game content POV, and it's just Capcom's way of segregating them from a marketing POV so people know they're not compatible etc. Afterall - AFAIK - portable 3rd (and presumably any G version) are really based around/are expansions of Tri anyway (?) so one might expect them not to differ too much at their core. That would be more understandable also from a Capcom POV given how they like to spread investments etc.

Spiegel

ElTopo said:
Why even release the game for Vita if it's a normal PSP game ? How does that generate more profit for Capcom ? Why even add cross-compatibility ? Isn't it safe to assume that those that buy a Vita might also own a PSP ? I really can't see too much sense in this.

Because getting the game on Vita costs nothing to Capcom and obviously some people would buy the game on their new shiny handheld if they can play with their friends even if they don't have a Vita. I'm not saying that Vita "deserves" MH better than 3DS, it just seems the better financial decision for a MH game released soon.

They can delay the decision of where to put the franchise next because they still have the PSP and wait until 3DS and Vita expand the userbase.

ElTopo said:
I agree that splitting the userbase might not be too smart, but then again they're throwing a lot of money away by ignoring the 3DS. So are you saying they shouldn't release it on PSV then ? Or should it stay there because it's a "Sony handheld franchise" ?

As a gamer I really don't care where MH ends because I don't like the games. I'm only saying that the idea of having two portable MH lines is confusing and unnecessary. Capcom should either release MH only on one console or make the same game on both platforms.

And not releasing MHP3G on PSP while the system is still hot in Japan and not next gen handheld has an userbase big enough to support the franchise also seems confusing and unnecessary.

Slime

Banned
gofreak said:
I dunno if it'll be sustainable into a new series though (?) Maybe they're trying to figure out how to keep both Nintendo and Sony happy, but their fans mightn't be sure which way to go if they have two parallel portable tracks going into a fourth series.

But maybe the G revisions and portable revisions are really going to be very similar anyway from a game content POV, and it's just Capcom's way of segregating them from a marketing POV so people know they're not compatible etc. Afterall - AFAIK - portable 3rd (and presumably any G version) are really based around/are expansions of Tri anyway (?) so one might expect them not to differ too much at their core. That would be more understandable also from a Capcom POV given how they like to spread investments etc.

Well, the Portable games are kind of weird in that they are clearly inspired by their numbered console counterparts, but are in fairly different settings with tons of new content. Portable 3rd took this even farther though by moving away from Tri's tropical-like setting and opting instead for a feudal Japan vibe. So perhaps that's proof of them making attempts to truly make them their own thing.

On the other hand, Monster Hunter G was just the first Monster Hunter game with new content. Not a new game based on the console titles like the Portable games, but more of an expansion pack. And there's even some precedent for those appearing on Nintendo platforms, because G was oddly ported to Wii just back in 2009.

So maybe that is what they have planned: give PlayStation platforms the original portable games, and Nintendo platforms the expansions of the console titles.

Could releasing MH on three different platforms (PS3/Vita/3DS) in the space of 2 (or less) years be a bad idea? Especially considering none of those platforms have seen MH before - it seems like splintering the fanbase a bit, which platform would they choose? Is it just a case of which gets it first? Or which gets the superior product?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Slime said:
Well, the Portable games are kind of weird in that they are clearly inspired by their numbered console counterparts, but are in fairly different settings with tons of new content. Portable 3rd took this even farther though by moving away from Tri's tropical-like setting and opting instead for a feudal Japan vibe. So perhaps that's proof of them making attempts to truly make them their own thing.

On the other hand, Monster Hunter G was just the first Monster Hunter game with new content. Not a new game based on the console titles like the Portable games, but more of an expansion pack. And there's even some precedent for those appearing on Nintendo platforms, because G was oddly ported to Wii just back in 2009.

So maybe that is what they have planned: give PlayStation platforms the original portable games, and Nintendo platforms the expansions of the console titles.

That makes more sense. I'm not familiar with the series so I didn't know the Portable games were all that different. That kind of set-up would make reasonable sense and would probably be sustainable into a fourth series - assuming Capcom doesn't want to just go completely multiplatform with all versions.

BlazingDarkness said:
Could releasing MH on three different platforms (PS3/Vita/3DS) in the space of 2 (or less) years be a bad idea? Especially considering none of those platforms have seen MH before - it seems like splintering the fanbase a bit, which platform would they choose? Is it just a case of which gets it first? Or which gets the superior product?

This is probably why they're doing it. They obviously want to see where the fanbase goes. That will be influenced by the quality of the product and the timing of release.

As far as things stand. I think that MH3G Tri on 3DS is the strongest product and the most likely to be a success.

gofreak said:
That makes more sense. I'm not familiar with the series so I didn't know the Portable games were all that different. That kind of set-up would make reasonable sense and would probably be sustainable into a fourth series - assuming Capcom doesn't want to just go completely multiplatform with all versions.

Given the series' focus on multiplayer and the need for compatibility for all players, that's the last thing that they would want to do with MH4. This is probably the only series that Capcom would absolutely not want to make multiplatform as it would mean that the userbase would be heavily splintered - thus destroying the ecosystem that makes the series such a huge seller.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The only thing super fishy on that list is Tri G for 3DS, i think probably Wii was supposed to be listed. Some of the MH Portable series defining characteristics is substituting in different content in place of stuff that'd be a nightmare to control without a second stick.

In Tri's case, about half of the game is pretty much underwater fighting and I can only imagine that being a nightmare with no 2nd stick. Completely retro-fitting an already existant game to stylus controls as a solution would also seem like a lot of work for an easy port attempt...

Alrus

Gaspode_T said:
Random Genie Hat Prediction: Capcom will troll their own fans and release two different versions of Monhan, one for Vita that is basically MHP4, one for 3DS that is a little bit less grinding/more kid oriented (something in between the iOS game and a real game, maybe made by the team that did the iOS game).

Yeah that would be stupid.

Raide

I hope they talk about a PS3/360 MH game at some point. I am sure a Vita version will be on the cards but a big HD home version would be great too.

Pie and Beans said:
The only thing super fishy on that list is Tri G for 3DS, i think probably Wii was supposed to be listed. Some of the MH Portable series defining characteristics is substituting in different content in place of stuff that'd be a nightmare to control without a second stick.

In Tri's case, about half of the game is pretty much underwater fighting and I can only imagine that being a nightmare with no 2nd stick. Completely retro-fitting an already existant game to stylus controls as a solution would also seem like a lot of work for an easy port attempt...

You obviously ignored my post about how the controls could work (and actually work even better than on the CC Pro)

MH3G Tri on 3DS makes a lot of sense and is very likely to happen.

French

Banned
Virtually nobody would buy MH on 3DS rather than on the Vita, so Tri G will probably be released before MH 3rd Vita.

French said:
Virtually nobody would buy MH on 3DS rather than on the Vita, so Tri G will probably be released before MH 3rd Vita.
Rumour says Vita MH will release at Vita launch, which is rumoured to be December, right?
If so, they'll have to get it out quickly

Sennorin

Banned
Gaspode_T said:

Yeah, because Nintendo = teh k1dd1.

Sigh, what is this, 1997?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nuclear Muffin said:
You obviously ignored my post about how the controls could work (and actually work even better than on the CC Pro)

MH3G Tri on 3DS makes a lot of sense and is very likely to happen.

Well if you find 4 d-pad like virtual camera buttons "better" than a real analog stick for camera control, I guess we're always going to disagree on that concept since you seem pretty... invested in this platform.

Touchscreen for items would be a boon definitely though. I dunno, I just feel ironically that 3DS would be a better fit for a Portable 3rd port, and then Vita getting a genuine Tri G with all the 3rd's monsters and areas added.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nuclear Muffin said:
Given the series' focus on multiplayer and the need for compatibility for all players, that's the last thing that they would want to do with MH4. This is probably the only series that Capcom would absolutely not want to make multiplatform as it would mean that the userbase would be heavily splintered - thus destroying the ecosystem that makes the series such a huge seller.

Sure, I think it would be dicey. The picture we have here offers an alternative though that lets them bring the franchise to two portable platforms without necessarily splitting the base and without too much extra work. There were already two fairly separate strands of MH - the console series, the Portable series - so giving Nintendo portable spins of the former wouldn't really create much more work over what they were already doing (just keep the two strands) and would let them give Nintendo something.

Man

BlazingDarkness said:
Rumour says Vita MH will release at Vita launch, which is rumoured to be December, right?
If anything MH related (that is not a PSP dl game) for Vita this year it would be MHP3 HD.

French

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:

Didn't see it was 3rd HD, that's lame. :/

@ DaSorcerer7 : DQ IX is only on DS, so that's not comparable.

weeaboo

Here is an evil thought: What if Nintendo releases MH 3DS *something* overseas like they did with Tri~ but Capcom never releases MH Vita *something* overseas because they're fucking idiots?

Jonnyram said:
I don't think Wii has the storage to deal with such an MMO. MMOs need to install, and they need to be patched. It's not going to happen on a machine without an HDD. You can certainly do online without being an MMO, and you could even have an "MMO-like" experience, without even being online. But I feel like you're straying a little too far from the rumour.
Patching is totally possible on Wii, but there's no system integrated infrastructure for doing so, but there are games that do so, like Conduit 2 which regularly has been patched, also BOps is patchable. It may use SD card for storage as well.

But I am not sure if it can be installed.

Regardless, if you follow the link I provided, what prevented them from developing XI, as they say themselves, has been Wii friend code forced upon it, not inherent hardware shortcomings, as you describe. As if it was in fact an inherent limitation they wouldn't negotiate Nintendo over friend codes:

Tanaka reveals that the RPG powerhouse is now in negotiations with Nintendo about "resolving this point of contention."

Pie and Beans said:
Well if you find 4 d-pad like virtual camera buttons "better" than a real analog stick for camera control, I guess we're always going to disagree on that concept since you seem pretty... invested in this platform.

Touchscreen for items would be a boon definitely though. I dunno, I just feel ironically that 3DS would be a better fit for a Portable 3rd port, and then Vita getting a genuine Tri G with all the 3rd's monsters and areas added.

For Monster Hunter (that's the important part here), it's a perfectly valid replacement. You get exactly the same level of camera control as a 2nd stick, because the series doesn't use analog camera control anyway.

Spiegel

ElTopo said:
I'm not too informed when it comes to handhelds, so is cross-play between PSV and PSP that simple without any sort of development costs ? How big is the number of people that would get it only if it was released on PSV ? I'd say that's a pretty small number. Also wouldn't it cause confusion to release the same game on PSP and PSV ?

I agree that having two portable MH lines is unreasonable. They would have to distinguish both lines enough to justify this, which might be complicated. Not releasing MHP3G on PSP really seems to be a bad move, but then you have to make the transition to another handheld generation at some point anyway. Betting on PSV with your biggest handheld franchise seems a bit unreasonable though.

Really a complicated situation. Thankfully I don't have to make this decision.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I expected Capcom to wait until MH4 to fully jump to another handheld. Just like S-E is doing with DQ

Reasons:
- PSP is still the MH platform and can support MHP3G in early 2012
- 3DS and Vita won't have the userbase in early 2012
- Then they can release the next MH in 2013 or later and 3DS/Vita will be more safe options.

The Vita version of MHP3G would just be one of Capcom "tests" at no cost because Vita can play PSP games.

Takao

Banned
When Capcom brings MH to the next generation of portables I think they should only make an exclusive series, or have 2 dramatically different series running (Monster Hunter Diary vs. Monster Hunter Portable instead of Monster Hunter vs. Monster Hunter Portable). Having multi-platform, or multiple similar series will create brand confusion, and most importantly, will hurt the franchise's largest selling point - local competitive play. By releasing mutliplatform or congruent series of a similar style, Capcom is opening up the flood gates to people buying the games on platforms their friends don't have, and finding out that they're not able to play with each other.

From a business perspective, I think it's smarter to bet on Vita, as you'll still have a secondary (first in release, but secondary in revenue) source of income via console releases (yes, I know they're not the big releases), since platforms similar in power to the 3DS will not exist for much longer. By going with Vita, you'd be having PS3/PC/360/Wii U console game opportunities. It would also allow more promotional mobile games, since Vita's technology will be assimilated into those (and other) devices within the near future.

Yes, I know Capcom's engine that works on 3DS, but I imagine it would be easier to bring them over to Vita than downscaling things to 3DS.

Sennorin

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
For Monster Hunter (that's the important part here), it's a perfectly valid replacement. You get exactly the same level of camera control as a 2nd stick, because the series doesn't use analog camera control anyway.

1.) I find all those hurt fanboys silly that suddenly claim MH wouldn´t control fine on 3DS, when it has a million user-base on a system with worse input options.

2.) Having said that, MH Tri uses analog camera control.

Sennorin said:
1.) I find all those hurt fanboys silly that suddenly claim MH wouldn´t control fine on 3DS, when it has a million user-base on a system with worse input options.

No it doesn't. The 2nd stick acts as a d-pad replacement.

There's no analog sensitivity with the 2nd camera stick in Tri and you can only move the camera left, right, up and down at set speeds/intervals, just like a d-pad. If you've played Tri, you should know this.

It's exactly the same as using a d-pad for camera controls and it would be exactly the same as my touch screen camera button layout.

Yes, I know Capcom's engine that works on 3DS, but I imagine it would be easier to bring them over to Vita than downscaling things to 3DS.

No downscaling should be necessary for Tri on 3DS as the 3DS is more capable than Wii in most respects. It should be fairly easy to port over the existing Tri content.

StuBurns

Banned
MH is horrible on PSP, I'm sure it would be horrible on 3DS, doesn't mean it couldn't also be huge.

I don't think it'll come to 3DS though.

Aeana said:
[ ] 4 Warriors of Light 2, 3DS
[ ] Monster Hunter Tri G, 3DS
[ ] Miku Hatsune (SD style), 3DS
[ ] New Shining game using Valkyria systems and characters from Shining Hearts, PSP
[x] Sega has a Layton-like game but with rhythm action instead of puzzles, to be announced at TGS.
[ ] Bayonetta 2 is in development and is planned for release at the same time as a theatrical Bayonetta CG movie.
[ ] Vita launch later this year, Monster Hunter 3rd HD will be announced at TGS to be a launch title.
[ ] DQ10 is being designed as an MMO-like game.

-------------------

yes please to all of them, although i don't know what Miku Hatsune is.

Sennorin

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

There's no analog sensitivity with the 2nd camera stick in Tri and you can only move the camera left, right, up and down at set speeds/intervals, just like a d-pad. If you've played Tri, you should know this.

It's exactly the same as using a d-pad for camera controls and it would be exactly the same as my touch screen camera button layout.

I´m pretty sure MHTri´s horizontal camera movement is fully analog.

French said:
Didn't see it was 3rd HD, that's lame. :/

@ DaSorcerer7 : DQ IX is only on DS, so that's not comparable.
MH HD will soon come out for PS3, lets see how it does against Tri. I think that can be a good measure.

Wazzim

Banned
Sennorin said:

Just because we were using the claw on PS2/PSP doesn't mean we want to deal with terrible camera controls again.

walking fiend said:
MH HD will soon come out for PS3, lets see how it does against Tri. I think that can be a good measure.
No, Tri was a completely new MH game while 3rd HD is a port of the PSP version everybody already has.

Pie and Beans

Nuclear Muffin said:

There's no analog sensitivitywith the 2nd camera stick in Tri and you can only move the camera left, right, up and down at set speeds/intervals, just like a d-pad. If you've played Tri, you should know this.

Its less about analog sensitivity (which I'm pretty sure it was a bit anyway because I remember doing slow sweeping camera pans) as it is the ease of use. Simply thumbing a stick upwards or downwards, left to right is infinitely preferable to feedback less touchscreen buttons you always have to be a wary of where your thumb is aiming. My issue was with you saying it would be 'better' when clearly it would be more rather 'close to approximating' or something. Thats when the bias language creeps in and we all get territorial about bits of plastic.

Takao

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
No downscaling should be necessary for Tri on 3DS as the 3DS is more capable than Wii in most respects. It should be fairly easy to port over the existing Tri content.

That is fine and dandy for 1 game, but what happens once Capcom needs to make new stuff? Traditionally, they've harvested content from the console games. But realistically there's no way Capcom releases another Monster Hunter on Wii. While they certainly could create new content in a handheld exclusive series (they've done that on the PSP games), we do have to realize this is Capcom. I doubt they're going to make a brand new top to bottom game just for handhelds. I think they'd much rather have the same assets being sold 5 million times on handheld and console, instead of just 4 million times on handheld (especially as they charge online fees for the console games). I don't think asset sharing across multiple platforms is as easy on 3DS as it has been shown to be on Vita.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Diprosalic said:
yes please to all of them, although i don't know what Miku Hatsune is.

Ss_hachune.png

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Takao said:
That is fine and dandy for 1 game, but what happens once Capcom needs to make new stuff? Traditionally, they've harvested content from the console games. But realistically there's no way Capcom releases another Monster Hunter on Wii. While they certainly could create new content in a handheld exclusive series (they've done that on the PSP games), we do have to realize this is Capcom.
They haven't done that since 2007.

Takao said:
I doubt they're going to make a brand new top to bottom game just for handhelds. I think they'd much rather have the same assets being sold 5 million times on handheld and console, instead of just 4 million times on handheld (especially as they charge online fees for the console games). I don't think asset sharing across multiple platforms is as easy on 3DS as it has been shown to be on Vita.
MHP3rd says hi.

Takao

Banned
Brazil said:
MHP3rd says hi.

I'm very much under the impression MHP3rd took a lot of monsters from Tri. I realize the game design is entirely different, but unless I've been lied to, there was asset sharing there.

Wazzim

Banned
Takao said:
That is fine and dandy for 1 game, but what happens once Capcom needs to make new stuff? Traditionally, they've harvested content from the console games. But realistically there's no way Capcom releases another Monster Hunter on Wii. While they certainly could create new content in a handheld exclusive series (they've done that on the PSP games), we do have to realize this is Capcom. I doubt they're going to make a brand new top to bottom game just for handhelds. I think they'd much rather have the same assets being sold 5 million times on handheld and console, instead of just 4 million times on handheld (especially as they charge online fees for the console games).
What else would the Tri team do all the time?

Takao said:
I'm very much under the impression MHP3rd took a lot of monsters from Tri. I realize the game design is entirely different, but unless I've been lied to, there was asset sharing there.
Yup, the areas have downsized Wii textures (besides the 3rd exclusive areas ofcourse) and some of the Monsters are from Tri. Very much of the game is remade compared to Tri though, there is a new town, farm etc etc.

Wazzim said:
No, Tri was a completely new MH game while 3rd HD is a port of the PSP version everybody already has.
We are not talking about a completely new MH on Vita either, but for 3DS it will be the first MH for a Nintendo Handheld; just like it was the case for Wii.

Jucksalbe

Banned
[ ] 4 Warriors of Light 2, 3DS
I don't think the first one did so good saleswise, so I'd quite surprised if this was announced. But very happy, too, I really liked the first one.

[x] Sega has a Layton-like game but with rhythm action instead of puzzles, to be announced at TGS.
When I first read about these rumors I thought this was the most crazy one of them. Figures this is the first to be actually true.

[ ] Bayonetta 2 is in development and is planned for release at the same time as a theatrical Bayonetta CG movie.
The movie part is....interesting.

DQ10 is being designed as an MMO-like game.
Please, don't be true. DQ9 was already a disappointment, if this one goes even further in that direction I will cry.

Takao

Banned
Wazzim said:
What else would the Tri team do all the time?

Tri team should be working on Monster Hunter Qua for console(s)!

Wazzim said:
Yup, the areas have downsized Wii textures (besides the 3rd exclusive areas ofcourse) and some of the Monsters are from Tri. Very much of the game is remade compared to Tri though, there is a new town, farm etc etc.

Yes, I suspected this much. I know MHP3rd is not entirely a port of Tri's content as the town is very Asian thematically in 3rd, where as Tri's from what I saw seemed a bit more of a generic town you'd find in the earlier games.

JimboJones

Dunno what to think of DQ10 being MMO like, never played a MMO before but if it's anything sort of similar to xenoblade but has local/online multiplayer as well that would actually be kind of cool.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Tri G on 3DS is hopefully the first handheld MH title with a "real" online multiplayer.... would be so awesome.

Top Bottom