• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Precursor Games- Shadow of the Eternals Crowdsourcing + Kickstarter [canceled]

Shiggy

On Kickstarter now: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals

Footage:

iyvG4tvxKi113.gif

i1MTt4CUKGyNR.gif

ibrUHYXJXfMk3S.gif

ibk70Gt0JC3y0V.gif

Planned Release (Episode 1 out of 12): Q3 2014

Canadian Developer Precursor Games Launches Crowd-funding Campaign for “Shadow of the Eternals”

Hamilton, Ontario – May 6th 2013 – Precursor Games today unveils its debut project Shadow of the Eternals. Developed by the creators of the critically acclaimed Eternal Darkness: Sanity’s Requiem, Shadow of the Eternals is an episodic action/adventure game that is likely to gain the attention of gamers everywhere.

Featuring an ensemble cast, Shadow of the Eternals will span over 2500 years of human history. Players will question their own perception of reality as they progress through this mind-altering psychological horror. The Pilot Episode is slated for release Q3 2014 on the Nintendo Wii U and PC.

The emerging studio is taking crowdfunding to the next level by giving the community the ability to contribute content to the game. Precursor Games has also revealed a campaign video and rewards tier system to go with their 1.5 million dollar goal, including pre-orders and exclusive merchandise.

“Precursor Games intends to leave no stone unturned in order to create an unparalleled experience for gamers”, said Paul Caporicci, CEO of Precursor Games. “We have a talented team, incredible technology with CryENGINE and a new business model where we directly integrate the fan base into the development process, allowing for new possibilities and game direction. We are very excited to see where this new direction leads.”

The Shadow of the Eternals crowd-funding campaign is can be found at www.ShadowOfTheEternals.com.

About Precursor Games:

Founded in July of 2012, Precursor Games is comprised of veteran game developers with over 20 years of experience. Precursor Games is an agile, efficient, multi-disciplinary, and collaborative company dedicated to community participation. It is looking to change the way games are made in an ever-changing industry by taking advantage of the emergence of digital distribution, episodic content and community-driven crowdfunding.

Story
When Detective Paul Becker is called to one of the bloodiest gang massacres in Louisiana state history, only two survivors remain from a brutal conflict between two rival cults. As Becker begins his interrogations of the suspects, their combined recollections will uncover the truth about the ‘Eternals’.

Featuring an ensemble cast of heroes and villains, Shadow of the Eternals will span over 2500 years of history throughout Egypt, England, Hungary, and the United States. Players will question the perception of reality as they try to balance the mechanics of combat, magick, and sanity events to progress through the adventure.

Shadow of the Eternals will take players on a memorable journey throughout time; weaving historical fact with disturbing fiction to create an experience unlike any other.

Pilot Episode – A Dream Within A Dream

The pilot episode of Shadow of the Eternals begins when detective Paul Becker is called to one of the bloodiest massacres in Louisiana state history at Pleasant View Hospital. The massacre is survived by two individuals who seemingly have no recollection about who they are or what has transpired.

Becker’s interrogation of the suspects brings us to Hungary 1610 AD at Čachtice Castle – home to the noblewoman Erzébet Bathory. Bathory is also a notorious serial killer; torturing and killing as many as 400 young women in her obsessive quest to retain her youth. You play the role of Bathory’s handmaiden and lover Clara, who is blackmailed by the authorities into gathering information about a missing nobleman’s daughter.

Events are soon set in motion that will change Clara’s life forever.

Episodic Adventure

Shadow of the Eternals will cover 2500 years of human history in a variety of locations across the globe. Each episode will highlight one of these locations and a unique story featuring characters that are part of a larger ensemble cast. Players will piece together how each character’s fate is intertwined with one another as more episodes are released.

Our Goal

Shadow of the Eternals will be an episodic series, and our initial goal is 1.5 million dollars. This includes production on the Pilot Episode, game engine costs and core system development. Future episodes of Shadow of the Eternals will be significantly less to produce, and we look forward to announcing more episodes based on the success of our campaign.

Additional money raised beyond this will also contribute to things such as in-game perks, additional gaming platforms, and other surprises. The more money that we raise, the more we will deliver based on what our fans want.

We are committed to making this game. However, if it becomes apparent that we cannot raise enough to develop this project then we will refund all pledges.

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

cappies said:
Sorry for the confusion, we have updated our FAQ

What happens if you do not reach your goal *UPDATED*?

Our financial goal is a flexible one. All contributions will go directly towards the development of this game and making it a reality. We are committed to making this game, however, if it becomes apparent that we cannot raise enough to develop this project then we will refund all pledges.

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/faq/

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, if DragonLordInfinity112 and LiquidOcelot156 are on board, who am I to say no?

duckroll

Shadow of the Eternals will be an episodic series, and our initial goal is 1.5 million dollars. This includes production on the Pilot Episode, game engine costs and core system development. Future episodes of Shadow of the Eternals will be significantly less to produce, and we look forward to announcing more episodes based on the success of our campaign.

Additional money raised beyond this will also contribute to things such as in-game perks, additional gaming platforms, and other surprises. The more money that we raise, the more we will deliver based on what our fans want.

Lol. The $1.5 million covers ONLY the first episode. EatChildren was right! :p

Nemesis_

I'm excited but not sure if I trust them with my money.

But I also want to help.

This is such an internal conflict ;_;

How can they legitimately ask for 1.5 million for the FIRST EPISODE?

RPGCrazied

Just PC and Wii U? Come on, you can get it on PS3 and XBLA too. I don't know how to feel about it being episodic. Sure Walking Dead was awesome, but telltale missed the mark a few times.

Also, all depends on how much they are charging for one episode. And 1.5 mil? Good luck with that.

I'm excited but not sure if I trust them with my money.

But I also want to help.

This is such an internal conflict ;_;

How can they legitimately ask for 1.5 million for the FIRST EPISODE?

It doesn't only cover the first episode :|

It covers enough that future episodes are basically just level design and story/voiceover

NewFresh

Lol. The $1.5 million covers ONLY the first episode. EatChildren was right! :p

Seems strange since the tiers are for episodes 1-6 and 1-12. How would the second episode require additional crowdfunding if people already bought multiple episodes?

Coolwhip

Banned
Looks great! I like how Dyack talks about less emphasis on shooting. Isn't this what a lot of people want? Luckily I'm not part of the GAF Dyack hatecrew, so I can actually see myself backing this.

And you have to give Dyack credit, he keeps on going.

Malajax

I guess I should take Eternal Darkness off the shelf and actually play it because that looked super uninteresting to me.

Dascu

Aiming for 1.5 million and release of the first episode (out of twelve) is over a year away. Hrmmm, I don't like that.

Van Owen

Banned
correct...

Did they say in the video it was running off Wii u? I skipped ahead.

It has wii u button prompts. I guess they could be playing off a PC and used the button images as placeholders for normal 360 pad stuff.

It will be funny to see if they overlook the whole not being called SK in the interview tomorrow lol.

Malvingt2

Are we sure this is Wii U footage?

Did they say in the video it was running off Wii u? I skipped ahead.

It has wii u button prompts. I guess they could be playing off a PC and used the button images as placeholders for normal 360 pad stuff.

It will be funny to see if they overlook the whole not being called SK in the interview tomorrow lol.

I am going to ask Rich to confirmed such..

So they made their own crowd-founding page to avoid fees to kickstarter or indiegogo? Is this the first company to do this? and if so Why the limit time? If you set your own crowd-founding you don't have to worry about time?

EDIT: They are planning a WiiU and Pc release acording to the page and payment is only with Paypal and your're charged immediately

Top Bottom