• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predator: Hunting Grounds - Previews.

DonF

looks better than previous footage, the predator gameplay looks great, but the game still feels like it runs sub 30 fps, hope they can optimize it better.

GenericUser

The concept reminds me of alien hunt or predator hunt from the original alien vs. predator game back in the 90s. I played it for 12 hrs straight back in the day, best lan game ever. But I fear that this game will not be as good. Randoms are not fun to play with and the playerbase probably won't stick around for very long. Todays multiplayer market is dominated by a few big titles only and niche titles (especially on consoles) dry out of players pretty soon. Sad, because the setting and the idea seems great, but I doubt this game will have any legs. Plus predator is also one of my favourite movies so it makes me extra sad that this is probably going to be overlooked by a lot of people.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Aion002

Watch a Predator film from 1987 first to understand the game's concept.
I do understand the concept.... but looks bad. Not the graphics.... but the gameplay.

I liked Evolve a lot (for a month).... and still looks better than this..... it appears to play like a 2009 game.....

Obviously I didn't play yet.... but it does look bad to me....

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
I do understand the concept.... but looks bad. Not the graphics.... but the gameplay.

I liked Evolve a lot (for a month).... and still looks better than this..... it appears to play like a 2009 game.....

Obviously I didn't play yet.... but it does look bad to me....

I do not know what is wrong with the gameplay to you. Based on work in progress demo and the last trailer, it looks very dynamic and smooth. Especially a Predator part and its tree traversal.
What better gameplay mechanics does Evolve have?

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Like Terminator that just came out, looks like it does some things well but the budget holds it back from being a great game. Looks really rough around the edges in that footage and looks like an early cross-gen title from 2013.

molasar

Banned
Like Terminator that just came out, looks like it does some things well but the budget holds it back from being a great game. Looks really rough around the edges in that footage and looks like an early cross-gen title from 2013.

I wish to play games looking like this one in 2013 or even now. Do you mind to recommend me some of them?

Last edited:

Aion002

I do not know what is wrong with the gameplay to you. Based on work in progress demo and the last trailer, it looks very dynamic and smooth. Especially a Predator part and its tree traversal.
What better gameplay mechanics does Evolve have?
The predator melee attacks looks like something from PS2, aiming and camera control appears weird, the soldiers small gameplay cuts sometimes to me appears to be inspired by Siege, while in a few segments reminds of CoD.... Overall it looks low budget.

To me it looks worse than AVP on PS360.... A game I also enjoyed.

I hope I am wrong because I like The Predator franchise and I like this type of game.

This game to me desperately needs a demo... Because the videos don't appear to be fun/good.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
The predator melee attacks looks like something from PS2, aiming and camera control appears weird, the soldiers small gameplay cuts sometimes to me appears to be inspired by Siege, while in a few segments reminds of CoD.... Overall it looks low budget.

To me it looks worse than AVP on PS360.... A game I also enjoyed.

I hope I am wrong because I like The Predator franchise and I like this type of game.

This game to me desperately needs a demo... Because the videos don't appear to be fun/good.

It is really a weird point of view as those gameplay mechanics in the game are typical third person perspective and first person perspective ones in a good arcadish way. Easy to pick up as it should be in a multiplayer game. You really should watch Predator 1 + 2 films (No, it is not inspired by Siege. And every FPS game you play as a modern soldier can remind CoD) to understand a concept here and see how good it seems. I myself was skeptical when I first heard about the game thinking it is going to be some generic game graphics and gameplay wise but a footage from public events' demo and the last trailer proved me wrong. I thought that Predator control will feel like a tank and there will be a struggle with tree traversal mechanics but it seems to be dynamic like in Capcom's AvP but in 3D third person perspective. And that you are not tied to some kata combo system (GoW etc.).

To be honest you made me laugh stating that it looks low budget. It probably is low budget but surprisingly does not look so. We have outdoor open world jungle maps here, filled up with interactive lush foliage, camps, infrastructure, river, waterfall and additional AI enemy soldiers. All of this is more resources hungry than some maps based on buildings mainly. Do not take me wrong, I understand that is just your opinion, not a fact but I have never seen something better in games that is functional.

I am also surprised that you brought AvP 2010 the game as an example which is a linear game and blocky structured multiplayer. Not to mention sluggish Predator control and crappy AvP 2004 film and modernized Aliens 1986 film aesthetics instead of classic ones based on (Predator 1+2 and Aliens. Yes, I know it happens in the future). I am a fan of those films since the 80s but I had to skip this game.

IMO the game does not need a demo as there was enough gameplay footage shown to understand its concept. Especially by those to whom video games are nothing new. Also feedback from public demo events is quite positive.

Anyway if you are not into multiplayer games then this one is not for you as there is no confirmation for an option which replaces players with AI bots.

Last edited:

Aion002

It is really a weird point of view as those gameplay mechanics in the game are typical third person perspective and first person perspective ones in a good arcadish way. Easy to pick up as it should be in a multiplayer game. You really should watch Predator 1 + 2 films (No, it is not inspired by Siege. And every FPS game you play as a modern soldier can remind CoD) to understand a concept here and see how good it seems. I myself was skeptical when I first heard about the game thinking it is going to be some generic game graphics and gameplay wise but a footage from public events' demo and the last trailer proved me wrong. I thought that Predator control will feel like a tank and there will be a struggle with tree traversal mechanics but it seems to be dynamic like in Capcom's AvP but in 3D third person perspective. And that you are not tied to some kata combo system (GoW etc.).

To be honest you made me laugh stating that it looks low budget. It probably is low budget but surprisingly does not look so. We have outdoor open world jungle maps here, filled up with interactive lush foliage, camps, infrastructure, river, waterfall and additional AI enemy soldiers. All of this is more resources hungry than some maps based on buildings mainly. Do not take me wrong, I understand that is just your opinion, not a fact but I have never seen something better in games that is functional.

I am also surprised that you brought AvP 2010 the game as an example which is a linear game and blocky structured multiplayer. Not to mention sluggish Predator control and crappy AvP 2004 film and modernized Aliens 1986 film aesthetics instead of classic ones based on (Predator 1+2 and Aliens. Yes, I know it happens in the future). I am a fan of those films since the 80s but I had to skip this game.

IMO the does not a demo as there was enough gameplay footage shown to understand its concept. Especially by those to whom video games are nothing new. Also feedback from public demo events is quite positive.

Anyway if you are not into multiplayer games then this one is not for you as there is no confirmation for an option which replaces players with AI bots.
So if I dislike something is because I don't understand it? Just because I didn't like what this game has shown so far you assumed a lot of stuff...

Ok.... Let's agree to disagree. I disliked what they showed. That's it.... Have a blast at it.

molasar

Banned
So if I dislike something is because I don't understand it? Just because I didn't like what this game has shown so far you assumed a lot of stuff...

Ok.... Let's agree to disagree. I disliked what they showed. That's it.... Have a blast at it.
Read my previous post again with comprehension. I wrote there the following: "Do not take me wrong, I understand that is just your opinion, not a fact but I have never seen something better in games that is functional".
Your bad, you are welcome.

Last edited:

IMO the game does not need a demo as there was enough gameplay footage shown to understand its concept. Especially by those to whom video games are nothing new. Also feedback from public demo events is quite positive.

Found the 'shit game' staff member.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

• Illfonic is a small team of about 30 staff which made the building of 2 games within one quite challenging. Had a quite short development cycle, only about 18 months but some work began on the game before the ink had been signed and wasn’t technically a guarantee. It was also a difficult deal to make given the Fox/Disney buyout.
  • Early play-testing without the foliage was incredibly hard as it played such an important role in how the Predator was able to move around unseen.
  • Originally the game only featured the Hunter class, before they expanded and added the Berserker and Scout, which came as a result of early discussions about customisation.
  • The design for the female Predator took considerable time as Fox was very heavily involved in process. It involved a great deal of back and forth changing elements, but Illfonic is very proud of what they’ve achieved with her.
  • Sound recording took place at and around Pinewood in the UK (where 4 out of 6 Alien films were filmed). The locals had been quite freaked out by the minigun and 50 cal. blank firing nearby!
  • TJ Storm was brought on to perform mo-cap for the game. TJ Storm previously did mo-cap for the Upgrade Predator in The Predator. Mo-cap was performed at the same Santa Monica Sony studio that God of War and Death Stranding was done at.
  • Human player customisation includes different ethnicities and both genders.
  • Voice effects for Predator recorded by Jan Johns and Jared Gerritzen spoke very highly of her performance. Also recorded a Fireteam member. Other voice actors include Bruce Green, James and Elyse Willems, Scott Matthew Robison (Mr Sark), Adam Kovic and TJ Storm. Sark plays the Operator who gives the Fireteam their mission objectives.
  • Tramell Issac talked about how important it was to not only love the series, but to respect the series.
  • Jared talks a little about the game being multiplayer only and despite that he wished Illfonic had the time and staff to do a single player component, he felt that the multiplayer truly represented the feeling of Predator – of hunting actual humans, rather than AI controlled characters.
  • Jared confirmed that there will be post-release support and content.

EMP88

Neophyte
I’m always up for an 80’s licensed game. Played such a huge part in my gaming back in the day on the Amiga and 16-bit consoles.

All I ask is the devs nail the feel of the Predator and gunplay. And of course reproduce the soundtrack and effects from the original movie.

molasar

Banned
All I ask is the devs nail the feel of the Predator and gunplay. And of course reproduce the soundtrack and effects from the original movie.

In this case, you shall end up more than satisfied.

8fc8bf55fb51b1b0519f314ccf9abba0.jpg

molasar

Banned
Game videos look terrible. Kind of like that recent Terminator game.

IMO they look better than Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Cyberpunk 2077, The Last of Us II, Ghost of Tsushima from gameplay perspective. And I am not kidding here. Every experienced and seasoned gamer can easily figure it out from watching available footage. They nailed a lot of stuff right from Predator (1987) and Predator 2 (1990) films.

Anyways we shall find out who was right about the game in the end.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Top Bottom