• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predator: Hunting Grounds - Previews.

GHG

Gold Member
That bad? I actually had fun with the Friday the 13th game although it got old fast. Glad i didn't impulse buy it then.

Some people seem to be having fun so your milage may vary but I thought the game was shallow and terrible.

It will inevitably require life support not too far in the future so no doubt there will be a free weekend, probably worth holding off till then if you're not sure.

Bryank75

Banned
Northern British humour. You either like it or you don't. It's the whole reason he's as popular as he is on YouTube, his reviews don't have any production values, it's just him talking about the game with clips in the background.

It needs a hell of an overhaul to be honest. The beta was shite.
Some of my best friends are from Yorkshire...

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

MiguelItUp

The thing is... He doesn't lie about anything he deems to be a problem in games so it's a stretch to say his reviews are inaccurate. If you look at his infamous witcher 3 review for example, he's not wrong about anything he says, it's just that those things didn't bother a lot of people or they actually found those aspects to be enjoyable.

He's an old school PC gamer and he likes what he likes. He also doesn't play any PC games with a controller so if the game has shit mouse and keyboard controls then it's immediately going to be in for a bad time on his channel.

A lot of the time (not all the time) my tastes align with his so I will always listen to what he has to say about a game but like with any single reviewer I won't take their word as gospel.

He just says what he thinks, he doesn't care if he upsets anybody and that's why he doesn't get review codes from a lot of publishers. Most publishers don't enjoy seeing their game get torn to shreds the moment the embargo ends. This is a good video that will give you an idea of what he's about:

To each their own. I just know my first experience with him was a DOOM Eternal preview and I remember a lot of the information he was going off of was incorrect and off. I mean, a simple Google search would've provided correct information. So, I was like, "Ehhhh, sounds like this guy doesn't do research", which for any kind of YouTube personality or influencer is pretty off putting to me. If that was just some schtick, well, then fair enough, haha. I guess he just isn't my cup of tea. 🤷‍♂️

That bad? I actually had fun with the Friday the 13th game although it got old fast. Glad i didn't impulse buy it then.
Honestly I personally wouldn't go as far as to say it's "shite", but to each their own. However, I CAN say, if you loved F13 but it got old fast, I feel like you may have the same experience here. I'm having a lot of fun with it on PC. Apparently a lot of performance issues are currently on PS4. There are definitely some bug fixes, buffs, nerfs, etc. that would make this game better, but just give it some time. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to see what they have planned for future content if you feel like you can wait a bit. The standard edition is already below standard MSRP, but I'd feel like the time it drops to $20, it's incredibly worth it. Even more so considering by that point I'm sure a large number of things will have been ironed out.

Last edited:

WX3

I’m having a blast with the game honestly. Just wish I could play with my son but we can wait for that to be added in. Made it level 42 over the weekend, now to try that combistick out on some skulls!

Well, after making it to 31 so far. Here are my thoughts.

If graphics are your big thing in games, move the fu** on and don't purchase this game. They are awful and it feels like you have goggles on your screen and the environment is blurry. Not sure how intentional this is to make the world feel more dreary or what... It also has a ton of graphical hick up's, and pretty crappy loading.

I would say the game can definitely be entertaining though and when playing in a fireteam, the constant dread of hearing the Predator is wild and intimating at times. I have enjoyed the aspect of killing the Predator when they get greedy and disabling the self destruct is tense as hell the first few attempts. You will blow up.

Playing as the Predator is definitely a challenge and not always easy. There is definitely a massive learning curve when playing with him at least in the beginning.

This is without a question a 5-6 out of 10 game. Average at best. What it really comes down to is if this genre of game, series and/or just personal interest if the game strikes your fancy. If you could put up with many issues right now, and who knows if they will patch many of those, then $40 might be worth your time. Otherwise I would pass off on it, or wait for a sale / come to PS+.

nikolino840

I will wait for the reviews
Not so good for now

RC7M1zF.jpg

VulcanRaven

I just noticed that you can charge the plasma caster with holding the R2. You can take down an enemy with a direct hit. No suprise I was so bad as Predator before. :D

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Honestly, not a lot of multiplayer only titles ever really review well. But that doesn't mean they're not fun!

Illfonic is a much smaller team than people may think. They also don't have the largest portfolio. Plus this games final wrap up was being done while all this COVID-19 nonsense was going on. The game and team haven't been put in the best position.

Fortunately, they're working hard and fixing pretty frequently. I mean, they put out a pretty solid hotfix just a couple of days after release. Mind you I'm playing on PC, I'm not really sure how PS4 is doing.

This title is much like Friday the 13th where it may not be everyone's cup of tea. That being said, it doesn't mean it's awful. I personally also think it's something that will just get better with time in terms of fixes and content.

D.Final

Banned
Honestly, not a lot of multiplayer only titles ever really review well. But that doesn't mean they're not fun!

Illfonic is a much smaller team than people may think. They also don't have the largest portfolio. Plus this games final wrap up was being done while all this COVID-19 nonsense was going on. The game and team haven't been put in the best position.

Fortunately, they're working hard and fixing pretty frequently. I mean, they put out a pretty solid hotfix just a couple of days after release. Mind you I'm playing on PC, I'm not really sure how PS4 is doing.

This title is much like Friday the 13th where it may not be everyone's cup of tea. That being said, it doesn't mean it's awful. I personally also think it's something that will just get better with time in terms of fixes and content.

I can't wait to try it

Vawn

Banned
The last time I cared about reviews was in the mid 90s when I still read video game magazines.

Anyways the funny thing is that I do not only enjoy the game myself, I also like watching others playing it which is rare in my case.

Other people play this turd? I was pretty sure it was just you.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The jealous of enjoyment me and plenty of other gamers are getting from this game.

If you say so. I'm guessing you just wanted the game to be good so bad you haven't had the heart to admit to yourself the game is a wreck.

• Praise the Sun

molasar

Banned
If you say so. I'm guessing you just wanted the game to be good so bad you haven't had the heart to admit to yourself the game is a wreck.

Again read my previous comments in this thread and see for yourself that I do not create a false picture of this game. The bottom line is that P:HG offers enjoyable gameplay and you cannot change it.

Dr.Morris79

Again read my previous comments in this thread and see for yourself that I do not create a false picture of this game. The bottom line is that P:HG offers enjoyable gameplay and you cannot change it.
I take my hat of to you bud. I've never seen someone defend a stinker as admirably as you.

Bravo.

molasar

Banned
I take my hat of to you bud. I've never seen someone defend a stinker as admirably as you.

Bravo.

Do you understand what does a false picture means?

Have you read my comments in this thread? Do you want make a comparison of my favorite games of all times with yours? So we can see who really like stinkers.

Last edited:

SadeVillain

Banned
Man, I'm trying to like this game. But too many bugs, stupid design choices and tbf the predator is just a lil bitch in this game

GHG

Gold Member
So do you personally like the game or not?

If not, what do you try to achieve in this thread? Perhaps you want to advertise some other games?

It's ok for you to like the game, nobody is saying you shouldn't.

That doesn't stop it being subpar. Predator deserved better than this.

molasar

Banned
Man, I'm trying to like this game. But too many bugs, stupid design choices and tbf the predator is just a lil bitch in this game

Do not force yourself. Even if you are a fan of this franchise. For example I completely skipped AvP2010 because I did not enjoy its aesthetics and gameplay.

MiguelItUp

It's ok for you to like the game, nobody is saying you shouldn't.

That doesn't stop it being subpar. Predator deserved better than this.
Honestly both Alien and Predator deserve so much more than they've received, especially in the video game world. I'm both surprised and saddened that there aren't more games, and better ones.

There's definitely some fixing that needs to be done, just as there was in F13. It will get better in time. I dunno man, a good Predator can do damage fast, it's just all about strategy. The Berserker is ridiculous, almost OP at times, lol.

If I loved Friday the 13th, will I love this?
Honestly, I think you will. If you can excuse some minor bugs, which I think you can if you loved F13, hop on. If not, give it some time and get it later. :)

Last edited:

INC

IMO they look better than Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Cyberpunk 2077, The Last of Us II, Ghost of Tsushima from gameplay perspective. And I am not kidding here. Every experienced and seasoned gamer can easily figure it out from watching available footage.

Never forget predator looks better than all the above

• LOL

GHG

Gold Member
"Subpar" to what? Why there is more people like me (old gamers) still playing it? Is it an effect of some virus or electromagnetic radiation?

I've just realised you've been shilling for this game since day one so there's no reasonable discussion to be had here:

Anyways we shall find out who was right about the game in the end.

Hope you got what you wanted. Enjoy it for the couple of weeks there is an active player base I guess.

molasar

Banned
Yes please.

Ok, how much geometry each of those games is pushing out at the same time?

What is the fastest speed you can move in each of those games?

What is level of interactivity in those games?

What engines they run on? Pros and cons of it?

Are they linear in its design or not?

GHG

Gold Member

4ea.jpg

molasar

Banned
I've just realised you've been shilling for this game since day one so there's no reasonable discussion to be had here:

Hope you got what you wanted. Enjoy it for the couple of weeks there is an active player base I guess.

Nobody is shilling here. Read my comments in this thread again.

The thing is that you do not like the game and you try to start something here instead of moving on.

Dr.Morris79

Where is your comparison? I dont want questions.

Top Bottom