• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predators |OT| STILL AINT GOT TIME TO BLEED

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacLock

Draft said:
It's arguably the best action movie (lock for top 3) from the golden age of action movies.

This. The original Predator was a damn masterpiece of 80's action bro tough guy. It also produced one of the most original alien's ever created, if not the most original.

SpacLock

To further answer tenchir's question about the
different Predator races
, this is an actual (in all its hilarity) excerpt from the script:

"Light distorts. The air undulates, shifts. A form SHIMMERS into view.

We don’t get the money shot. There’ll be time for that later. Just a few glimpses, from the back. The rest, mercifully, is covered in shadows. One thing for sure...

If Predators were frightening, this thing is TERRIFYING.

A familiar RATTLE.

Meet BLACK SUPER PREDATOR.

Twenty yards to his left a SECOND SUPER PREDATOR de-cloaks.

Across the river and fifty yards downstream, a THIRD.

This is the hunting party."

:lol So over the top it's awesome.

This film, actually, was never intended to be a remake. He wrote it after El Mariachi with Arnolds input, but it was originally even more of an homage to the first one, but it was never going to be a remake. He said the reason why they didn't make it then was because of the budget required.

I'm not sure what all the people whingeing about the sword fight are expecting. Phantom Menace? Kill Bill - Lucy Liu fight or the Darryl Hannah fight?

The fight was a bit understated, but it definitely wasn't terrible. For me, after
the long-winded speech from Fat Morpheus about how these predators change tactics, weapons etc and have few weaknesses,
I thought it was an apt demonstration that the predators would be most vulnerable in
hand-to-hand combat; that all the analysis you put into types of weapons, ballistics, projectiles, rate of fire etc counts for little against the technique of using a simple implement, honed and passed down through centuries of practice and refinement

Solo said:
So is this worth seeing for someone who isnt a Predator fanboy?
Trust me, as I would trust you. The movie is boring tripe, only satisfying when compared to avp. Nothing to see here, not a single memorable scene, except for the flare one and it's only memorable because it's a great idea that's wrongly executed.

Mr. B

Nothing really happened throughout it's (almost) 2 hour runtime. I hate the fact
at the end they're in the same position they were at in the beginning.

Also, they killed off Trejo and Fishburne far too early and easily. "Wait, where did he go? Oh, there he is- oh now he's dead"

I didn't go in expecting anything spectacular so I can't say I'm disappointed. Far more offensive things have happened with that IP.

Solo

Foreign Jackass said:
Trust me, as I would trust you. The movie is boring tripe, only satisfying when compared to avp. Nothing to see here, not a single memorable scene, except for the flare one and it's only memorable because it's a great idea that's wrongly executed.

Ive already decided not to check it out. Monies - saved!

harSon

Banned
Just got back from the film and it was somewhere between mediocre and average. Definitely better than Aliens vs. Predator 1 & 2 (which isn't saying much) and considerably worst than Predator 1 & 2. I'd recommend waiting for the film to release on DVD.

I'd probably rate it somewhere between 5-6 out of 10, I may or may not write an extensive review :/

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Movie would have been 10x better
without Topher Grace and without the whole double-crossing thing. That was stupid, pointless to the movie as a whole. Other than that, it was pretty enjoyable. I do wish the guy from Machete (don't know his name) would have been alive longer.

Edit:

It seems most of the arguments boil down to what side of 'Predator culture' one prefers. I prefer the more noble side, that they won't hurt the injured (a la Predator 2) and they are doing it for the hunt. I don't agree with taking humans into their ranks (a la AvP) but I don't think they should be mindless killing machines. That situation was different though, since Aliens were involved and that girl did kill a queen. But how I saw the movie was that the noble ones were the 'smaller' Predators, and the big evil ones were taking it out of hand. Not sure if that's right, just what I took from it. Which is also why I was expecting the Predator to just blast the Yakuza. I was also expecting that once Adrian Brody and the girl survived, for like 5 more evil Predators to uncloak and just kill them. :lol

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Saw the movie twice yesterday. Once with family. Another with a friend. Even better the second time.

First off, the title scene was pretty amazing. I've always had a thing for good title scenes. Other than this, most recent movies I've seen that would fit the bill are Shutter Island and Vertigo. I'm glad they kept the same soundtrack from the first movie, with a few new "rock n' roll" variations that are most prominently featured near the film's end.

The setup has been known for a long time now. Some of the world's most elite killers are dropped on a Predator reserve, and subsequently hunted for sport. With full confidence, I can say this premise was executed very well. I also liked how they showed it wasn't just humans being abducted. Nice touch of realism.

Characters were simple, but I found myself caring for them all the same. In this respect, the movie felt like Aliens. There were characters you liked you knew were gonna die when the shit hit the fan. I really want a sequel with Royce and Izzy, but I would be fine with a prequel on FIshbourne's character as well. Unfortunately, this movie doesn't feel complete. When the original Predator ended, I was content. But when this ended, I really wanted more. It's the type of movie that needs another movie to complement it. Maybe that's a sign it didn't succeed in bringing a satisfying story to the table, but then again, wanting to see more isn't just a negative. .

Overall, it's a fantastic action movie that's actually worthy of being Predator's successor (way better than fuckin Predator 2, god that one is worse than Alien Resurrection). It's biggest flaw is that it has the worst CG explosion I think I've ever seen. Those who have seen it should know the one I'm referring to. Best movie this summer so far (although to be fair I've only seen Iron Man 2 and Toy Story 3)

Forkball

I saw it and enjoyed it. I thought it would just be a shoot em up action flick, but it was actually really close to the original film in atmosphere. There were a lot of tense and creepy moments like in the first film, so I was pleasantly surprised. Brody was also a convincing badass, although I could have gone without his version of Bale's Batman voice. Yeah, there were a lot of flaws, but overall it was a really good B movie like the first Predator. But the ending makes me wonder
if there is a sequel, they can't just do the same thing right? Yes they could give us more predators hunting more action movie stock characters, but you don't want the series to get all Final Destinationy where the premise is the exact same but it just gets more gruesome. I think if they really want to do another flick, maybe they should visit the Predator homeworld.

Also, this movie brought up an idea: where do the predators get all their technology? They seem to be a warrior culture, yet they have tech centuries ahead of us. Are there like fat nerdy predator scientists doing calculus equations and trying to figure out the best way for interstellar travel and how to make plasma rifles?

ant_

Forkball said:
I saw it and enjoyed it. I thought it would just be a shoot em up action flick, but it was actually really close to the original film in atmosphere. There were a lot of tense and creepy moments like in the first film, so I was pleasantly surprised. Brody was also a convincing badass, although I could have gone without his version of Bale's Batman voice. Yeah, there were a lot of flaws, but overall it was a really good B movie like the first Predator. But the ending makes me wonder
if there is a sequel, they can't just do the same thing right? Yes they could give us more predators hunting more action movie stock characters, but you don't want the series to get all Final Destinationy where the premise is the exact same but it just gets more gruesome. I think if they really want to do another flick, maybe they should visit the Predator homeworld.

Also, this movie brought up an idea: where do the predators get all their technology? They seem to be a warrior culture, yet they have tech centuries ahead of us. Are there like fat nerdy predator scientists doing calculus equations and trying to figure out the best way for interstellar travel and how to make plasma rifles?

It seems to me like they were setting up a sequel to be
Old Predators v. New Predators
with Adrian Brody on the sideline

Draft said:
It's arguably the best action movie (lock for top 3) from the golden age of action movies.

I agree. The original Predator is actually a damn hard movie to make. The movie is mostly visual so the director has to work his ass off to put the lack of dialogue on screen and make it work and build tension. Hell, the last 20 mintues has next to no lines in it and the script is open to interpretation for the final battle. Then you have to shoot in the dark jungle and light for that realistically which is why the film is pretty grainy.

The film is a classic of modern sci-fi horror. A drama is a walk in the park to make in comparison.

Pandaman said:
tall skinny running thing seemed kind of pointless.

I took it as another quick way of adding more weird stuff to the planet so it continued to feel like an alien planet instead of like a hawaii jungle. It was a pretty cool "oh shit" moment when Isabella
figured out she missed the shot. (Spoilered just to be safe)

TheVisualizer said:
I took it as another quick way of adding more weird stuff to the planet so it continued to feel like an alien planet instead of like a hawaii jungle. It was a pretty cool "oh shit" moment when Isabella

Pretty much what I took away from it. That or
some more shit the preds brought with them to psych out their prey

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TheVisualizer said:
yea, but it felt like a good 15 minutes must have been cut because there was nothing more to it.

they set them up well with the cages scene, the cockroachs and the camp carcass, but there was nothing to them. i dont think we ever even got a single full body shot of the thing.

especially weird since the final scene establishes that the predators were dropping them alongside humans so the tall skinny running thing cant be excused as another straggler from an old hunt.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Warm Machine said:
I agree. The original Predator is actually a damn hard movie to make. The movie is mostly visual so the director has to work his ass off to put the lack of dialogue on screen and make it work and build tension. Hell, the last 20 mintues has next to no lines in it and the script is open to interpretation for the final battle. Then you have to shoot in the dark jungle and light for that realistically which is why the film is pretty grainy.

The film is a classic of modern sci-fi horror. A drama is a walk in the park to make in comparison.
Damn man...
You actually convinced me...:lol
good points!

I need to reevaluate the original now.

I liked it. Not perfect, but a decent sequel. There's probably a better director's cut.

Called Topher Grace's "purpose" instantly, although I was hoping he was a surveillance robot.

Also, I wanted more pred blood, particluarly during beheading. Splatter everything, make it look like Pandora, but with blood. Shit, steal from Starship Troopers and have the couple kiss while covered in alien goop.

Not sure the warring preds added anything. Trapped one should have been a trick.

More traps, please.

Sequel should reveal that this planet's hunt is a pred reality show. Brody is a ratings hero.

Pandaman said:
yea, but it felt like a good 15 minutes must have been cut because there was nothing more to it.

they set them up well with the cages scene, the cockroachs and the camp carcass, but there was nothing to them. i dont think we ever even got a single full body shot of the thing.

especially weird since the final scene establishes that the predators were dropping them alongside humans so the tall skinny running thing cant be excused as another straggler from an old hunt.

Yeah the line about it being from the cages was kind of a quick way to complete the scene.
I originally figured the dogs were what they dropped but the scene itself really functioned as a different way to introduce Roland as he was the one that shot it.
As far as not seeing it, they panned over it's entire dead body, but again it was a minor distraction so they didn't need to spend a lot of time on it, I thought they accomplished enough with how they handled it.

Shawsie64

Banned
Noisepurge said:
Recap of the ending:
The doctor is a serialkiller too, suprise. They try to escape with the Predator spaceship. Royce rescues the predator that was imprisoned (puts on a the original predator mask). Spaceship explodes, OG Predator gets his head chopped off by the last evil Predator, Royce then chops off the last remaining evil Predator´s head. Last remaining people are Royce and Isabelle. They witness more crates and people falling from the sky. Roll credits. Long Tall Sally by Little Richard as an ending theme.

Cool thanks man :D

Mr. Sam

SpacLock said:
To further answer tenchir's question about the
different Predator races
, this is an actual (in all its hilarity) excerpt from the script:
Am I the only one that thought the whole
blood feud
aspect was unnecessary? To top it off,
the little predator was the same size as the "super predator." Also, it kinda pissed on how one regular predator took out Arnie's leet squad in the first.

Mr. Sam said:
Am I the only one that thought the whole
blood feud
aspect was unnecessary? To top it off,
the little predator was the same size as the "super predator." Also, it kinda pissed on how one regular predator took out Arnie's leet squad in the first.

It was a useful plot device to
get the OG predator to help the humans out. And i dunno, the different races probably have different ways of hunting.
Arnie´s squad fought against one invading Predator on Earth. This time they are prey, brought to the Predator´s own hunting grounds, so they were toying with them more.

Also the
knowledge Isabelle told them helped them fight in the end.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Enjoyed it, but still felt disappointment. It wasn't like I went in with high expectations, so with that in mind it was an enjoyable sci-fi slosh romp, but it also wasn't the movie I expected it to be and feel it messed up in some areas. Quoted the following and whited for spoilery goodness, since I cant be bothered trying to tip-toe around spoilers while I explain what I liked/disliked.

So, the main thing I think they got right were the characters. Mostly, anyway. Rodriguez spoke about how he didn't want to copy the 'muscle man' style of the first film as it couldn't be matched, and I think it was a good choice. The characters are all rough, tough, and mostly deplorable human beings. They're hardly developed characters, but they don't need to be, and much like the first film they each seem unique despite not knowing much about them.

There were perhaps too many characters though, and there were some moments with forced development that didn't really work. The convict worked fine, but the murdering doctor didn't. His 'revelation' was a bit lame and I simply didn't care. Same goes for the chemistry between the two lead characters; their debating over the value of humanity has no place in Predator, so shut up and shoot things. On the other hand, I loved how undeveloped Fishburne's character was. I like how he was basically just a tough as nails lunatic trapped on the planet, and was just as deplorable as everyone else.

The premise was also really cool. A nice change of pace from the Earth based films, and didn't come across as excessively tacky or forced, despite being set on an alien world. I also liked how it ended, with them trapped on the planet, as it really seemed like the most plausible way to finish things. It would have been a bit lame if they had shuttled back to Earth, or hitched a ride with the Predator.

My biggest complaints come down to the pacing and the way the Predators were handled.

Pacing wise the movie was far weaker than Predator and even Predator 2. It never really seemed to hit a particular climax or significant battle. Far too much of the film was devoted to them wandering around confused, and the little segments of action were too brief and insignificant. In Predator, every action scene, small or large, was really memorable and exciting, either due to the death of a character or development of the story. Here there was no early climatic battle like the previous two films, and most character deaths fell flat.

Part of the pacing issues come from how the Predators were handled. They were enjoyable to watch and greatly exceeded their presentation in the Alien Vs. Predator films, but they never gave off a really sinister or dominating presence, which is something I think important in conveying their intentions and abilities.

Their use of gadgets were minimal and not particularly memorable in any way, and the feeling of a hunt never came across. They tried to do it in a few scenes, but it was rushed and didn't leave a lasting impact.

Some scenes, such as the camp ambush, and the sword fight, made the Predators out to be reckless and unskilled, not like the brutal, methodical hunters that they are in the other films.

I don't mean to sound overly negative as they still did a good job with them, but the vision of a 'Predator' that was created with the first two film wasn't matched, in my opinion.

I do recommend it even with my complaints because I had fun. Its a good popcorn film, is well shot, and if you're a Predator fan there's added incentive to see it on the big screen. It didn't meet my expectations in the sense that it was not the film I wanted it to be, but I still enjoyed it.

On another note, the cinema had the volume way too low for this kind of film. Damn you, Hoyts!

LosDaddie

Banned
Watched it on Sat. Other than the
Topher double-crossing
part, I really enjoyed the movie. It was a popcorn flick with a good amount of action. Perfect summer movie, IMO.

I liked the Predator1 homages too, especially the sword duel. And really, what else could you expect out of this movie?

Will buy on blu-ray eventually

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Valkyr Junkie said:
I never knew claymore explosions were so fiery.

lol... no kidding, not only that, it was the worst fire effect I've seen in a long time. Still, I loved the movie and had a lot of fun seeing it with my friends.

harSon

Banned
Let’s start with the good news. Predators is easily the best Predator related film since the original’s sequel twenty years ago. The bad news? Aliens vs. Predators and its sequel were the only competition.

While this film certainly eclipses the bottom feeders of the franchise, it is considerably worse than the first two films, which is unfortunate considering a lot of the talent behind the production. When Robert Rodriguez was brought onto the project as producer and Nimrod Antal was chosen to direct thereafter, fans of the franchise were ecstatic, for the first time in a long time, it seemed the Predator name would be used for more than a mere cash-in. Rodriguez and Antal wanted to bring the franchise back to its roots, and in that regard they succeeded, unfortunately the end result is an uninspired and overly familiar rehash that ultimately fails to fill the shoes of its predecessors.

The overall premise is based on a treatment written by Rodriguez in 1994, that was subsequently turned down by 20th Century Fox, who claimed that the premise called for too big of a budget at that particular time. The resulting screenplay is a strange combination of the original Predator and Vincenzo Natali’s Cube. The film begins with Royce, an American ex-military soldier turned mercenary, waking up to find himself in free fall and without a clue why. After landing safely, he quickly meets up with seven armed strangers, who are bonded together by a single commonality (besides being tired caricatures), the fact that they are the prey in a deadly game of cat and mouse with a merciless alien race.

One of things that Rodriguez felt the franchise was missing since its original incarnation were ”great characters so that the audience feels they’re going on this journey with them.” That’s certainly a good area to spend some time developing, unfortunately, the characters of this film are uninteresting and about as deep as the piece of paper their stories were written on. Besides the before mentioned Royce played by Adrian Brody, the characters include: a female Israeli soldier, a loudmouthed death row convict, a Mexican drug cartel enforcer, a Russian Spetsnaz commando, a Sierra Leone death squad officer, a Yakuza, a doctor and a longtime stranded US soldier who is suffering the effects of longterm isolation.

Outside of a few exceptions, the characters aren’t explored beyond their job descriptions, and even that aspect of them is relatively hazy. It’s difficult to truly care for a character when their development is monotonic, have backgrounds that are ambiguous at best and literally go unnamed until the film’s credits start rolling. Even Royce, who was by far the most complex and fleshed out character of the film, is little more than a vehicle for witty one liners. Despite the pedestrian ensemble of characters, the filmmakers were able to effectively use them to create some fairly rigid social commentary. When the tables are turned and these trained killers are on bottom of the food chain for the first time, the morality of their past decisions come into play which has a noticeable effect on most of the characters and their decisions through out the film.

While you’ll certainly have questions through out the film, the same can’t be said for Brody’s character, who has deduction skills that would make Sherlock Holmes second guess his own abilities as a detective. While the rest of the characters (and the audience) are still trying to wrap their heads around the situation, Brody’s character has already evaluated and deciphered the situation down to the most intricate of details. Apparently the US military does prepare you for everything you’re likely to ever encounter.

One of the original film’s greatest strengths was its ability to truly embody the hunting angle of the Predator character. Each of the Predator’s kills were carefully planned and meticulously executed. Whether it was through carefully traps, from a distance with an alien rifle or up close by hand, the predator’s decision to attack never appeared to be spontaneous, which allowed for some brilliant tension. Unfortunately, outside of some scenes in the beginning, the film seemed to completely ditch this aspect of the Predator character, making the alien more wild killer than intelligent hunter. In the end, the pursuits and the subsequent action spawning from them, are uninspired and clumsily handled, and in some cases, flat out bizarre (
Did I just see a samurai duel between a Yakuza and an alien in a grassy field on a twilight backdrop? Why yes, yes I did.
)

Final Verdict: Predators is a step in the right direction for the franchise but does little to expand on or capture the magic of the original film in the series.

Rating: 6.5 out of 10

charsace

Topher Grace's character.

I figured that one of them would be a serial killer. It only made sense since the aliens snatched all of the best types of hunters and killers.

Movie did already 45 mil WW, past it's budget already, should do pretty well for itself as it opened better than AVP2 which still pulled in 125+mil.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
harSon said:
and in some cases, flat out bizarre

2b48ia.png

Mr. B

K2Valor said:
Movie would have been 10x better
without Topher Grace and without the whole double-crossing thing. That was stupid, pointless to the movie as a whole. Other than that, it was pretty enjoyable. I do wish the guy from Machete (don't know his name) would have been alive longer.
I didn't understand the whole point of that 'twist' What does he have to gain by paralyzing the chick?... while being in a hole neither one of them can get out of. Is there some fortune in Predator gold that he's planning on taking for himself that I don't know about?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Saw the movie this past weekend. It was just alright.

I also saw Despicable Me which was great!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
charsace said:
Topher Grace's character.

I figured that one of them would be a serial killer. It only made sense since the aliens snatched all of the best types of hunters and killers.

Isn't that what the Prisoner was as well?

Blader

Draft said:

The only good action movie to come out of that decade is Die Hard.

And Rocky IV, if that counts :lol

Draft

Blader5489 said:
The only good action movie to come out of that decade is Die Hard.

And Rocky IV, if that counts :lol
Die Hard and Predator are easily the two strongest contenders for best action movie of all time. Both directed by John McTiernan, back to back. The man was firing on all cylinders.

skyfinch

The Predators are so weak. How is it that.....

one gets killed in hand to hand combat against a katana? :lol

And how did the predator's shoulder canon NOT kill that skinny ass jail dude in the orange jumpsuit, when he blasted the fucker in the back, yet, the same canon was able to pulverize the tree Brody was hiding behind. :lol

This new breed of Predators should be embarrassed. 3 of them weren't able to take down the humans, even with home field advantage. In Predator 1, the old Predator was able to take out the entire squad and gave Arnold all he could handle.

Mr. B said:
I didn't understand the whole point of that 'twist' What does he have to gain by paralyzing the chick?... while being in a hole neither one of them can get out of. Is there some fortune in Predator gold that he's planning on taking for himself that I don't know about?

One last kill before he, himself is killed?

Or maybe he was hoping to impress the SBP by killing her and claiming her body as his trophy. Make the SBP interested, so he releases him to hunt him down again.

As others have said, pointless addition/reveal and the movie would have been so much better without him.

ant_

skyfinch said:

And how did the predator's shoulder canon NOT kill that skinny ass jail dude in the orange jumpsuit, when he blasted the fucker in the back, yet, the same canon was able to pulverize the tree Brody was hiding behind. :lol

This new breed of Predators should be embarrassed. 3 of them weren't able to take down the humans, even with home field advantage. In Predator 1, the old Predator was able to take out the entire squad and gave Arnold all he could handle.

Remember the vest the convict was looking at when he was at Lawrence Fishburn's place? He stole it. He was wearing it, and they clearly showed it. That's how he survived.

harSon

Banned
skyfinch said:

I was more annoyed by the fact that
the Predator was killed using a booby trapped corpse considering they were utilizing the same concept with Danny Trejo's character
:lol

LM4sure

Banned
Lots of negative reviews here. I was looking forward to seeing it this week, but guess I'll wait for the blu-ray now. I hated the AvP movie (never saw the second one, but I imagine it's even worse), so I was a bit hesitant to see it opening weekend even with the fresh rating on RT. Glad I saved my money. This summer has been awful for movies. Can Inception save the day?

PoliceCop

Banned
Draft said:
Die Hard and Predator are easily the two strongest contenders for best action movie of all time. Both directed by John McTiernan, back to back. The man was firing on all cylinders.

T2.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
PoliceCop said:
T2 has the graphics, but lack everywhere else. Typical Cameron. Die Hard and Predator both have extremely well done scripts, characters, and action. Not just well done action scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom