• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predators |OT| STILL AINT GOT TIME TO BLEED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone else think the
remote detonation of the ship was a little farfetch'd?

If each of the warring predators could control and remotely explode each others ships then what the hell would one of their wars look like? Fastest person to hit the button?

Lakitu

st5fu
BattleMonkey said:
Movie did already 45 mil WW, past it's budget already, should do pretty well for itself as it opened better than AVP2 which still pulled in 125+mil.

Great, still hope for R-rated action films. The Expendables needs to do well also.

LosDaddie said:
Not at all.
If anything, being able to remotely set a course for Earth was farfetched.

Yup,
how was the classic predator even able to access the ship. You'd think the other faction/whatever would be smart enough to make sure the ship only responds to their signal/wristband.

Nimrod, indeed.

Trojita said:
Anyone else think the
remote detonation of the ship was a little farfetch'd?

If each of the warring predators could control and remotely explode each others ships then what the hell would one of their wars look like? Fastest person to hit the button?

Or
they boobie-trapped the ship to prevent any escape from anyone other then themselves?

Mr. Sam

I personally think the predators' over-reliance on technology - other than heat vision - makes them a lot less intimidating and just, well, sissies. You're a seven foot tall killing machine. Do you really need invisibility and an auto-lock plasma cannon?

Drahcir

SketchTheArtist said:
Or
they boobie-trapped the ship to prevent any escape from anyone other then themselves?

This.
The Super Predator faction probably booby-trapped the ship, which belongs to the original Predator that was tied up. If he managed to escape and went back to his ship, the Super Predators would just blow it up.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Mr. Sam said:
I personally think the predators' over-reliance on technology - other than heat vision - makes them a lot less intimidating and just, well, sissies. You're a seven foot tall killing machine. Do you really need invisibility and an auto-lock plasma cannon?

NO. THEY GOT LASERS THAT MAKE THINGS EXPLODE AND SWORD ARM THINGS AND THEY CAN TURN INVISIBLE AND AND AND...

Seriously, Predators were designed by a 12 year-old.

Dead

well not really...yet
Spire said:
142wwwo.jpg
with a bit of input from
ddjkox.jpg

U mad?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Stan Winston saved it from being a SyFy original. The cheesy elements of it come from the script, Winston corralled that stuff and actually churned out something that looked interesting.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Spire said:
NO. THEY GOT LASERS THAT MAKE THINGS EXPLODE AND SWORD ARM THINGS AND THEY CAN TURN INVISIBLE AND AND AND...

even better!
lasers that sometimes make you explode.

Blader

shintoki said:
T2 has the graphics, but lack everywhere else. Typical Cameron. Die Hard and Predator both have extremely well done scripts, characters, and action. Not just well done action scenes.

What in the hell :lol

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Blader5489 said:
What in the hell :lol
Every single character is a perfect cliche of 80's tough men, with half the lines uttered a one liner. It doesn't get much better than that <3

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Draft said:
Also a strong contender, and certainly the swan song of the 80s action movie.

this was the first r-rated movie i saw in theaters, and it happened when i was 8. it is still the best theater going experience i've ever had.

Pandaman said:
even better!

So the Predators should only have one type of shoulder cannon? I would think their technology would allow them to have different settings and swap out for different cannons. Matter of fact IIRC one movie did involve the swapping or detaching of the shoulder cannon so the fact that somebody blew up from 3 feet away is not that far fetched at all.

Pandaman said:
even better!

luka said:
Probably has something to do with getting hit point blank with no armor. =\

Are you two really that daft? You didn't notice the close-up of the alien armor he was wearing? The same armor he was looking at in Fishburne's refuge, which they made a point of mentioning?

The shoulder canons were different in this movie, they spun and gave off multiple lasers in some cases, so I would assume we never seen this kind.

The uber preds had some serious bling.

JMizzlin

Is it just me or did that multiple-lasers-on-Brody from the trailer never actually happen in the film? I swear I didn't see it happen.

Mr. Sam

Eye Drop said:
Is it just me or did that multiple-lasers-on-Brody from the trailer never actually happen in the film? I swear I didn't see it happen.

It didn't, because there were only three fucking predators.

Eye Drop said:

It didn't happen at all. Very weird too as it clearly was a marketing thing to get people's attention

effzee

Why was the
older Predator tied up and just left to hang around? Was the objective not to kill them all?

Arthrus

This movie was alright. The predators were really stupid and I'm sure their actions weren't thought out too much. I rationalize it by thinking of them as bored predator teens who haven't yet learned anything about hunting, and agreed amongst themselves "hey, let's go hunting this weekend. Kick some human ass! YEAH!"

The ending theme was also pretty funny, but I liked it.

sarcastor

the movie was okay. you can't compare it to the original with Arnuld. but there really aren't that many rated-R action movies nowadays, so you have to take what you can get.

The ending was a bit stupid, since i thought that
seasons would be months or years apart, not just days apart. So why the fuck did the next season start immediately the next morning?

Also a better ending would be if
it would cut to a bunch of people parachuting and then they meet up with Adrian Brody's character, but he's all old, with scars and shit. Maybe missing an eye and wearing some skull armor. That would have been bad ass

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Mr. Snrub said:
Are you two really that daft? You didn't notice the close-up of the alien armor he was wearing? The same armor he was looking at in Fishburne's refuge, which they made a point of mentioning?

What the fuck are you talking about and what is 'daft' about what I said?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
The one thing that still kinda bugs me is...

Grace's character, the doctor (I don't remember his actual name), seemed to change personalities with the twist. Normally, if he were really trying to gain their trust to simply hunt them down and kill them, then that personality should show through when he's alone. Instead, when the doctor loses the group, before Nicolai comes and rescues him, he acts like he would normally act like - a defenseless doctor who is terrified at the thought of dying. If that twist wasn't there, or if it was better written, then the movie would have been better for it. It's also hard to believe the comedy relief suddenly turns into some type of villain as well.

Aegus said:
Historically most duels involving katana were over in the first strike and involved people running at each other.

Yakuza guy seemed to change his sword stance as well.

People seriously need to watch some Akira Kurosawa, the scene was one of the best in the film: Kyuzo level duelling badassery on the Street Fighter Alpha 3 backdrop. Am really glad they didn't turn it into some fucking stupid, overwrought, flashy matrix-like battle between a little man with a sword and a massive Alien.

Film was pretty good, much better than the AVPs or Predator 2.
Only issue was the doctor twist if only because the others didn't seem to give a shit about him not being a doctor, never building on the "He's the odd one out" Brody said at the start. There was room for a twist in his identity, but psychopath was far too predictable.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you know now that i think about it, jesse ventura could have bled while he did other things. it's really easy to multitask, the bleeding just takes care of itself

sarcastor said:
seasons would be months or years apart, not just days apart. So why the fuck did the next season start immediately the next morning?

Potential spoilers *

The arrival of people doesn't really mean it's a new season, for all we know it's part of a single season. They likely continually drop more and more onto the area or planet (size of this whole thing never is given and they seem to indicate that it does not end so it could be a whole planet). A season is generally a period of time for hunting, so one can assume that during a set season, prey is continually dropped into the area. For the size of the area, it's possible that theres multiple groups of predators running around hunting other groups in other parts of the preserve.

Also remember they found remains that were said to be about only 2 weeks old of another group. A season can be possibly months of continual hunting just like in real life.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Eye Drop said:
I was thinking that too, and towards the
end of the movie I figured 20 more predators were going to uncloak and 'clean up' the mess.

Beowulf28 said:
He actually pulled off his character pretty well.

Yeah, I think so, too. I enjoyed the movie, but the day after I saw it I watched Predator for the first time in a few years. Still easily the best.

There were a number of things (mostly small) that bothered me about Predators. Morp...Fishburne's part was one of them.

THIS IS MY HOUSE MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
sarcastor said:
the movie was okay. you can't compare it to the original with Arnuld. but there really aren't that many rated-R action movies nowadays, so you have to take what you can get.

Also a better ending would be if
it would cut to a bunch of people parachuting and then they meet up with Adrian Brody's character, but he's all old, with scars and shit. Maybe missing an eye and wearing some skull armor. That would have been bad ass
Hmmm. Maybe I wasn't paying that close attention, but I thought that was
ashes and not snow. Wasn't there some kind of big explosion, possibly a nuke that went off right before the ashes/snow?

I went in seeking a repeat of the A/B action movie thrills of Predator, and I saw a repeat of the A/B action movie thrills of Predator.

It was exactly what I wanted it to be. Down to the ridiculous
samurai homage in the field.
I have to say to the haters: What on Earth were you expecting? The original flick is a great action movie, and so is this.

And
we have no idea about what 'seasons' are, and what Fishburne's character really means. Have we all suddenly forgotten the concept of the unreliable narrator/character? The less canon we base on the utterances of a homicidically insane character, the better.

I can't wait for Predatorers: The Sequel.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yeah, for the most part is was a fun, by-the-numbers action movie. I liked it for what it is.

The only thing I really hated, as others have pointed out, is the blatant and terribly written 'twist' involving Grace's character. It's totally inconsistent with the way he's portrayed even when he was alone, and his motivations are nonsensical at best, nonexistent at worst. It was the only thing in the film that made me want to stand up and go "what the fuck was that?"

Finally got around to watching the movie. Enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not perfect (and is sometimes/often a bit cheesy), but I'm not going to nitpick because I have better things to do with my life. That said, it's easily the best Predator film since the original, and that's an awesome thing in my book.

Bring on the next, Mr. Rodriguez!

bonesmccoy said:
I went in seeking a repeat of the A/B action movie thrills of Predator, and I saw a repeat of the A/B action movie thrills of Predator.

It was exactly what I wanted it to be. Down to the ridiculous
samurai homage in the field.
I have to say to the haters: What on Earth were you expecting? The original flick is a great action movie, and so is this.

And
we have no idea about what 'seasons' are, and what Fishburne's character really means. Have we all suddenly forgotten the concept of the unreliable narrator/character? The less canon we base on the utterances of a homicidically insane character, the better.

I can't wait for Predatorers: The Sequel.

Exactly. Some people's complaints are just strange, especially when they compare it directly to the original. The original is a GREAT movie, but anyone complaining about the "cliche" Yakuza guy must have forgotten about strong, silent, "spooked" native american Billy; anyone complaining about "LOL MINORITIES GOT KILLED" have forgotten that hulking white guy and pretty ethnic girl were the only survivors in Predator; people complaining about forgettable characters probably DID forget about Hawkins and Poncho in Predator.

Predators is NOT as good as Predator, but let's get something out of the way: Predator is a good movie because of the direction, not because of the story or characters. Arnold gives a nice, subdued performance where not much is asked of him, Ventura gets to hold an awesome gun, Carl Weathers does a decent job as a redeeming prick. Best character is Bill Duke's Mac, because he gets to have fun with it and act fucking nuts.

I watch Predator once every month or so, but let's get real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom