• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Predicting BOTW2’s Overworld

Aldric

Feb 15, 2016
I can sort of see already how the new gameplay is going to make this game’s exploration revolutionary. Yes, revolutionary to the gaming community. A lot of games will see what BOTW’s sequel accomplishes and it will set a new benchmark in gaming
Are you talking about the ability that seemingly allows Link to "swim" through stone? I agree it could potentially make traversal really interesting but it depends on how extensive the mechanic is. It also seems to be a much better fit for underground exploration which was what I hoped this game would focus on, but again maybe that's what they'll show next.

Reactions: Cutty Flam

Cutty Flam

Dec 3, 2019
Are you talking about the ability that seemingly allows Link to "swim" through stone? I agree it could potentially make traversal really interesting but it depends on how extensive the mechanic is. It also seems to be a much better fit for underground exploration which was what I hoped this game would focus on, but again maybe that's what they'll show next.
That’s it, that is the gameplay mechanic that opens up everything. I can already see the potential and imagine what could be done. Near limitless exploration and gameplay. But my imagination sort of strays to the idea that perhaps Hyrule itself will be under a spell of some kind of wicked magic that pervades and affects the reality of the land. Almost like a different realm, maybe in a way it can be…It would all depend on the villain(s)

Soodanim

Feb 24, 2012
United Kingdom
Something like Termina?
If only we had a world with that much to do and influence. I’d settle for it feeling like a Zelda game instead of a new IP reskinned as Zelda.

Take the best of the trials and condense them into some proper dungeons, and you’re in the right direction. Instead of the battle trials, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone praise, how about some mini bosses like the most widely praised Zeldas did.

After that we can get the overworld sorted out. Give the world more of a society now that Calamity Ganon is taken care of. The downside of getting all of your powers early so you can do anything and having no permanence outside of the MS was that the overworld didn’t really have much of a purpose outside of the few and far between pockets of civilisation. Even outfits didn’t provide much of interest, because they set it up so you can go to the end boss immediately. That’s fine as a gimmick to showcase your engine and systems, but it devalues a lot.

Even with time rewinding and things being reverted, Termina’s world felt like the opposite. So much has value. I prefer that end of the spectrum, personally.

Reactions: Cutty Flam