• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predicting Microsoft's next acquisition

Jaybe

I expect they will go big again. I think there is something big In the works with EA, and possibly Valve.

With EA, they have been in on a subscription services, GaaS, and micro transactions for years and partnered on Game Pass Ultimate. They have the same vision as MSFT on making games a consist stream of revenue. Around the same time they both start releasing games on Steam again. Likely Game Pass on Steam with MS and EA published games.

And then there is Valve. They have the loyal members that MSFT loves to capture with their technology acquisitions, a storefront and delivery System that is the best in the game, and a device business in VR that would be a step change for MSFT. Valve failed with its SteamBoxes which MSFT has already a box in peoples homes. At some point one would think Gabe needs an exit plan, and EGS seems like a common enemy to Valve and MSFT.

Now this may be acquisitions, a more formal strategic partnership, or potentially a joint venture, spin off.

A Jan 2018 article for the prior time EA rumours swirled.

1. It's not a new IP
2. It's massively underperforming. It had a big launch and then fell massively on it's face. It failed
1. How isn't it a new ip?
2. Doesn't mean it is a flop because didn't perform what they expected. Also, keep in mind they are going to make a sequel probably that fixes all the issues and won't cost them as much to make because they already have all the groundwork.

jigglet

Banned
Ubisoft seems like a no brainer. Remember they almost lost the farm just a few years ago and needed a 5% bailout by Tencent. If 5% was all they needed to fend off a takeover then it seems like they're still vulnerable. Doesn't seem like it would take much to swallow them up.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
it seems people are forgetting that, the more studios you bought , the higher operating cost is.
Acquisition of studios is not a guarantee profit.
A high operating cost is what company tried to avoid, even for Microsoft.
You dont wanna close more studios, it would looks really bad on the companies reputation.

Mega publisher like Ubisoft or EA is guaranteed to have a massive operating cost due to amount of studio and manpower.

Ubisoft seems like a no brainer. Remember they almost lost the farm just a few years ago and needed a 5% bailout by Tencent. If 5% was all they needed to fend off a takeover then it seems like they're still vulnerable. Doesn't seem like it would take much to swallow them up.

Ubisoft would cost well over 12-15B to acquire. That is quite a lot after already getting such a big green light to go after Bethesda. What benefit does it have to Microsoft to have both Bethesda and Ubisoft exclusive? Why would anyone be championing that?

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Insomniac the studios primarily makes exclusive games anyway
Again with this shit?
There is list of games made by Insomniac since launch of PS4 and XOne:

2014Sunset OverdriveXbox One, Windows
2015Slow Down, BullWindows
Fruit FusionAndroid, iOS
Bad Dinos
Digit & DashiOS
2016Ratchet & ClankPlayStation 4
Song of the DeepWindows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Edge of NowhereWindows
The Unspoken
Feral Rites
2018Marvel's Spider-ManPlayStation 4, PlayStation 5
SeedlingMagic Leap One
2019StormlandWindows
StrangeletsMagic Leap One
2020Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles MoralesPlayStation 4, PlayStation 5
2021Ratchet & Clank: Rift ApartPlayStation 5

There are only two PS4 exclusive games (and one XOne exclusive) before Sony bought them.

Three

Again with this shit?

Fruit FusionAndroid, iOS
Bad Dinos
Digit & DashiOS
Edge of NowhereWindows
The Unspoken
Feral Rites
SeedlingMagic Leap One
2019StormlandWindows

There are only two PS4 exclusive games (and one XOne exclusive) before Sony bought them.
Nobody said PS4 exclusive games, so why do that? So you can discount the PS5 and PS3 exclusive games they are most known for?

Fact is that Insomniac are renowned for their Playstation exclusive games. Sony buying them made sense just as it did for MS and Playground games.

Ubisoft would cost well over 12-15B to acquire. That is quite a lot after already getting such a big green light to go after Bethesda. What benefit does it have to Microsoft to have both Bethesda and Ubisoft exclusive? Why would anyone be championing that?
The benefit is clear, it increases the value of Gamepass while it decreases the value of the PS5. The big question is if it's worth the cost. Not just the acquisition cost, but also the very high maintenance cost (Ubisoft has eighteen fucking thousand employees lmao).

kuncol02

Banned
Nobody said PS4 exclusive games, so why do that? So you can discount the PS5 and PS3 exclusive games they are most known for?

Fact is that Insomniac are renowned for their Playstation exclusive games. Sony buying them made sense just as it did for MS and Playground games.
So it would be ok if MS would buy company making games exclusive for PS because they were making exclusive games anyway?
That's just example of most recent time till first possible cutoff moment (launch of new generation). What's the point of talking about PS3 and PS2 games which are way in past (with that logic Bethesda and Arkane are known for making XBox exclusives) and about PS5 games which are post acquisition?

Three

So it would be ok if MS would buy company making games exclusive for PS because they were making exclusive games anyway?
That's just example of most recent time till first possible cutoff moment (launch of new generation). What's the point of talking about PS3 and PS2 games which are way in past (with that logic Bethesda and Arkane are known for making XBox exclusives) and about PS5 games which are post acquisition?
Insomniac have not made a game for xbox since sunset overdrive which MS did not get off the ground and funded no further games with Insomniac. Nobody gave a damn when MS bought Undead Labs or Playground Games because they were renown for their xbox games anyway.

kuncol02

Banned
Insomniac have not made a game for xbox since sunset overdrive which MS did not get off the ground and funded no further games with Insomniac. Nobody gave a damn when MS bought Undead Labs or Playground Games because they were renown for their xbox games anyway.
Why you are trying to turn that into MS vs Sony? Sony bought company which was mostly in last years making games NOT exclusive to PS, but that's supposedly ok, because they were making some exclusives for Sony. PC VR players don't matter, everything is Sony vs MS for you?

Three

Why you are trying to turn that into MS vs Sony? Sony bought company which was mostly in last years making games NOT exclusive to PS, but that's supposedly ok, because they were making some exclusives for Sony. PC VR players don't matter, everything is Sony vs MS for you?
You asked if it was ok if MS bought a dev making Sony games. I gave an example with MS buying a studio which is renown for xbox games. The thread is about a MS acquisition prediction yet we are discussing your hate for Sony buying insomniac in it and I'm making this about MS vs Sony?

I'm just giving you examples where a studio renown for games on a given platform being bought are more generally accepted.

PC VR players may still get the games if they make any VR games that is.

KingT731

No to mention they've gone out of their way to avoid a takeover in recent years. I doubt they'd willingly sell.

Derktron

Banned
First, let's predict what they are going to make, also I think they need to stop purchasing studios and deal with what they have in front of them and that would be Bethesda, which should be the biggest focus on it all.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Actually, a Japanese company would make hell freeze over in the gaming world. -- but to be honest I would rather stop buy anything.
Until Sony quits money hatting everything in site don't see it happening. Buying smaller studios is more cost effective in the long run for the company with a smaller user base than trying to outbid Sony for exclusives. It's that or be dreamcasted by being content starved.

Last edited:
I think they would buy smaller studios at the moment. But their sudden partnership with EA on gamepass seems like a perfect fit. I could honestly see Microsoft purchase Techland.

Again with this shit?

Fruit FusionAndroid, iOS
Bad Dinos
Digit & DashiOS
Edge of NowhereWindows
The Unspoken
Feral Rites
SeedlingMagic Leap One
2019StormlandWindows

Why are you artificially constraining your data to the period since the launch of the PS4? This is the very definition of cherry-picking data to make a point, and even then your point falls flat on its face.

Yes, in a seven-year period they've worked on 3 PlayStation exclusive games. But considering these games take more than 3yrs each to make, it means in the last seven years they ALWAYS been working on PlayStation exclusive games alongside other projects.

Your post has presented no meaningful counterpoint, only proven to buttress mine, i.e. Insomniac PRIMARILY worked on PS-exclusive games. There's really no sane argument otherwise.

SaucyJack

What's your point Jacky boy?

i thought it was pretty apparent.

those wanking themselves into a frenzy about Microsoft’s next multi-billion dollar gaming acquisition are setting themselves up for disappointment. Other, more strategic, things are going on at the moment.

i thought it was pretty apparent.

those wanking themselves into a frenzy about Microsoft’s next multi-billion dollar gaming acquisition are setting themselves up for disappointment. Other, more strategic, things are going on at the moment.
Obviously Microsoft have their fingers in many pies but they are far from done in the gaming space. There's more acquisitions coming, although not on the level of Zenimax.

I decide who Microsoft buys next. I tweet it, they buy them. This is how it has worked for the last few years, and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

kyoji

I *think* if MS were smart they would invest into the current studios they have... nurture them.. and see how far that gets them, The whole buy my way to victory tactic has yet to make any meaningful progress market share wise. And if we are going to be honest they haven't done exceptionally well managing what they had pre bethseda.

I don't know there E3 plans but up until this point imagine if they had NOT picked up bethseda from zenimax. And to think you really had people on here really thinking they were fine before/ shortly after the games showcase last year... I mean at E3 the original studios im sure will have more to show but the likely hood that stuff actually releases this year outside of halo seems slim. So back to my original point focus on what you have before trying to expand even more, its not like they didnt have talent in place already, it just seems nothing has seemed to mesh yet. Money only gets you so far, at some point the culture has to improve.

sendit

I *think* if MS were smart

mJ2KWRX.jpg

element

Microsoft will Acquire either Ubisoft, WB Games, or Sega.

I hope it's Ubisoft.

Nearly zero chance. Ubisoft would be $15-20B to acquire and they have massive overhead. Bethesda had around 2200 employees, while Ubisoft has almost 20,000 employees. Besides the massive upfront cost, the burn rate is massive. I can't see MS buying into a developer with that scale of overhead.

I can see a holding company like Tencent Holdings or someone like an old school Vivendi invest, but a full buyout? Just too much.

You people who want them buying up big publishers are really just hoping for the demise of the industry. Nobody should be rooting for any hardware maker to buy a 3rd party publisher. I don't hold Bethesda against MS too much simply because Bethesda was looking to be bought out and I'd rather someone in the console space did it than Apple, Google or Amazon. MS has enough studios right now, let them prove they can run what they have first before adding more to the pile, they had a ton of trouble managing things before the 2019 acquisitions.

The Alien

Banned
Why do you guys cheerlead for studio acquisitions?

Buying up studios for the sole purpose of reducing content available on the competitor's platform is a garbage strategy and borderline anti-consumer. When the content would come to your platform regardless of the purchase or not, you're not actually adding anything to the gaming medium, but instead tying up investment dollars in forcing multiplatform content to become exclusive, instead of using those funds to expand your existing studios or create new studios or bring up smaller indie devs to make new blockbuster games.

You should be protesting against this shit, instead of fantasising over it.
Disagree.You simplify this by inaccurately framing it.

"Buying up the sole studios for the sole purpose of reducing available content for other platforms..."

Everything we've ever heard about, its been beaten to death..."Xbox has no games". Perhaps the sole reason they are buying studios is to get XBox games (not keep it from other platforms).

Additionally, this thing called GamePass...its on XBox, PC, and possibly coming to Nintendo. A secondary purpose would be to build this library.

Lastly, they have invested in their first party teams. The Coalition, Playground, and almost all of their acquisitions went on hiring sprees. Many doubled or tripled I size or number of teams.

Disagree.You simplify this by inaccurately framing it.

"Buying up the sole studios for the sole purpose of reducing available content for other platforms..."

Everything we've ever heard about, its been beaten to death..."Xbox has no games". Perhaps the sole reason they are buying studios is to get XBox games (not keep it from other platforms).

Additionally, this thing called GamePass...its on XBox, PC, and possibly coming to Nintendo. A secondary purpose would be to build this library.

Lastly, they have invested in their first party teams. The Coalition, Playground, and almost all of their acquisitions went on hiring sprees. Many doubled or tripled I size or number of teams.

Xbox can build up their library by building new teams, as well as contracting 3rd party exclusives.

In the latter case, 3rd party devs can and do regularly staff up for similar contract-based projects.

None of the reasons you mention require a studio purchase.

Top Bottom