• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predicting Microsoft's next acquisition

episode 4 GIF by Star Wars

quest

Not Banned from OT
Xbox can build up their library by building new teams, as well as contracting 3rd party exclusives.

In the latter case, 3rd party devs can and do regularly staff up for similar contract-based projects.

None of the reasons you mention require a studio purchase.
Microsoft contracted games in the 360 days that is why they were in such a shit first party situation. If Microsoft was to create 20 studios were do you think that talent would come from thin air? How about the financially challenged studios they bought out which was almost all of the pre zenimax. Sony can go buy smaller financially challenged studios but don't want to. Better Microsoft step in than them go under or creators like Brian fargo retire because they are sick of raising money instead of making games.

Microsoft contracted games in the 360 days that is why they were in such a shit first party situation.

WTF!?!? The 360 days were the golden years of Xbox. I don't think you'll find a single Xbox fan who disagrees.

If Microsoft was to create 20 studios were do you think that talent would come from thin air?

How about the gigantic pool of devs that get laid off or leave other development studios. Studios go bust and close everyday, not to mention the regular project swell and slim down of studios that go through their regular production lifecycle. There's always experienced devs looking to swing out on their own and lead their own vision-led projects. As well as a regular churn of new blood coming straight outta college.... no different to any other industry.

Or do you think there's only a fixed number of developers across the entire industry who are perpetually married to their first hire?

What a bizarre perspective.

How about the financially challenged studios they bought out which was almost all of the pre zenimax. Sony can go buy smaller financially challenged studios but don't want to. Better Microsoft step in than them go under or creators like Brian fargo retire because they are sick of raising money instead of making games.

All independent studios are financially challenged. Is that a good reason to give up their IP ownership and creative control to get swallowed up by a big first-party?

More importantly, why would you want MS to buy up all the independent developers to limit their output to a single platform that most gamers don't even own?

Why as a gamer would you actively bat for more limited choice for yourself and other gamers?

Sounds like blind platform loyalty getting in the way of common sense.

Last edited:

martino

More importantly, why would you want MS to buy up all the independent developers to limit their output to a single platform that most gamers don't even own?
MS exclusive ares available to most gamers and it's because they are not limited to a single platform. Sony exclusives don't.
Why as a gamer would you actively bat for more limited choice for yourself and other gamers?
Because the competition do it too with less option and platforms targeting overall less people.

So when it's about exclusivity it's never good for all us but it's the least worst alternative for most of us when it's ms.

To me ignoring simple facts like Sony market share is not most gamers and is also heavily active if not more to lock content but with less options. That feel like where blind fanboy loyalty preventing common sense is.

Last edited:
MS exclusive ares available to most gamers and it's because they are not limited to a single platform. Sony exclusives don't.

How many people use Xbox services on PC and non-xbox platforms?

Because the competition do it too with less option and platforms targeting overall less people.

A whataboutism is a good excuse for shilling for a company?

That's some wild reasoning there pal.

So when it's about exclusivity it's never good for all us but it's the least worst alternative for most of us when it's ms.

Lol.

To me ignoring simple facts like Sony market share is not most gamers and is also heavily active if not more to lock content but with less options. That feel like where blind fanboy loyalty preventing common sense is.

Sony's market share is more than two thirds of all HD console gamers. That's most gamers on console.

Last edited:

martino

How many people use Xbox services on PC and non-xbox platforms?
tell me
A whataboutism is a good excuse for shilling for a company?

That's some wild reasoning there pal.
or that's an intentional bad comprehension when i say the best is for it to not happen.
but the point stand for overall gamers when it comes to lock content the least evil is not sony.
Lol.

Sony's market share is more than two thirds of all HD console gamers. That's most gamers on console.
gamer are not all on console this is an abitrary bad scope to make sony bigger than they are in gran scheme of things.

Last edited:

docbot

Banned
a brain hopefully. I don't think it's good for gaming at all that they just bulldoze over the industry buying up multiplatform developers. Sure we'll see some great games in the coming years. but it's a bit telling that there isn't yet a single great showcase game for XBOX Series X out even to be released soon.

they were really sleeping in the creative department and now just try to brute force buy them some great next gen experiences.

I am sure I'll get one at some point to play the exclusives, but when it comes to their business tactics - absolutly no support

quest

Not Banned from OT
WTF!?!? The 360 days were the golden years of Xbox. I don't think you'll find a single Xbox fan who disagrees.

How about the gigantic pool of devs that get laid off or leave other development studios. Studios go bust and close everyday, not to mention the regular project swell and slim down of studios that go through their regular production lifecycle. There's always experienced devs looking to swing out on their own and lead their own vision-led projects. As well as a regular churn of new blood coming straight outta college.... no different to any other industry.

Or do you think there's only a fixed number of developers across the entire industry who are perpetually married to their first hire?

What a bizarre perspective.

All independent studios are financially challenged. Is that a good reason to give up their IP ownership and creative control to get swallowed up by a big first-party?

Sounds like blind platform loyalty getting in the way of common sense.

You rather lose great creators because of pride lol. I say losing them is even more limiting since they don't produce those game things anymore. I rather Microsoft keep teams together and give them financial backing than close their doors or struggling to stay afloat never getting the shot they deserve.

The buyout also means that inXile will no longer crowdfund its projects, despite Fargo being on the Fig advisory board, and his plan to retire after Wasteland 3 is out the window, too. "That's off the table. I'm not going anywhere," he said. "You're stuck with me."

oldergamer

I *think* if MS were smart they would invest into the current studios they have... nurture them.. and see how far that gets them, The whole buy my way to victory tactic has yet to make any meaningful progress market share wise. And if we are going to be honest they haven't done exceptionally well managing what they had pre bethseda.

I don't know there E3 plans but up until this point imagine if they had NOT picked up bethseda from zenimax. And to think you really had people on here really thinking they were fine before/ shortly after the games showcase last year... I mean at E3 the original studios im sure will have more to show but the likely hood that stuff actually releases this year outside of halo seems slim. So back to my original point focus on what you have before trying to expand even more, its not like they didnt have talent in place already, it just seems nothing has seemed to mesh yet. Money only gets you so far, at some point the culture has to improve.
If ms was smart they wouldn't listen to you. You can do both. Grow teams and acquire Studios

Top Bottom