• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prediction: Will Breath of the Wild break 10million WW?

_Clash_

Breath of the Wild is the most important game in Nintendo's history, being the flagship of the Switch launch. Zelda as a series has never broken single SKU 10 million mark, let's look at past Zelda sales:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64/3DS) - 11.42 million copies (7.6 million for the N64 version, 3.82 million for the 3DS version)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii/GCN) - 8.69 million copies (7.26 million for the Wii version, 1.43 million for the GC version)
3.The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES/GBA) - 7.47 million copies (4.61 million for SNES version, 2.86 million for the GBA version)
4. The Legend of Zelda (NES) - 6.51 million copies* (NES sales)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (GB/GBC) - 6.05 million copies (3.83 million for Game Boy version,2.22 million for DX version)
6.The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN/Wii U) - 6.05 million copies (4.43 million for the GCN version, 1.62 million for Wii U version)
7.Link's Crossbow Training (Wii)** - 5.79 million copies (Wii sales)
8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64/3DS) - 5.39 million copies (3.36 million for N64 version, 2.03 million for 3DS version)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (DS) - 4.76 million copies (DS Sales)
10. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES) - 4.38 million copies*** (NES sales)
11. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons (GBC) - 3.99 million (GBC Sales)
12. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii) - 3.67 million copies (Wii Sales)
13. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS) - 2.96 million copies (Ds Sales)
14. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - 2.9 million copies (3DS Sales)
15.The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA) - 1.76 million copies (GBA Sales)
16. Hyrule Warriors (Wii U) - 1 million copies shipped (Wii U Sales)

Ref and shout out to mrmickfan for details posted here http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1140668

What do you think Breath of the Wild will sell lifetime? Is it set to be a gaming phenomenon?

bluexy

This is one of those things that's just so difficult to predict, because it's entirely entwined with the potential success of the Nintendo Switch. And like with the console, it's just too early to tell. Could BotW have that kind of success? Absolutely. It will be the definitive Switch game to own for the foreseeable future. But the Switch needs to maintain its first month success through the holiday and onward for that to happen.

gdt

I don't think so.....

If the Switch blows up like the Wii (and that only got TP and Skyward Sword so far) its possible.

But thats not probable to happen.

Edit: Also, isn't it possible TP is past 10mil with the Wii U version?

Majukun

no,it probably will not..not enough instaklled base between the wii u and the switch..also the zelda series is not famous for breaking sale records

phanphare

Banned
I think it's got a shot because it was an extremely well received launch title so it will forever be associated with the Switch for first time buyers and will sell well throughout the life of the console

"a shot" though, not guaranteed. it'll be like 2019 or 2020 if it does.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Maybe eventually. Can the Switch sell over 10 million consoles and will all those people want to pick up Zelda?

(I think it can do it, but it might not be for a while.)

mavo

Banned
I don't think so.....

If the Switch blows up like the Wii (and that only got TP and Skyward Sword so far) its possible.

But thats not probable to happen.

I am not a fortune teller but i don't think you need to go Wii levels of sales to reach 10 million.

Super Mario 64 did it on the 64 (hehehe), and of course, Ocarina Of Time sold more on the 64 than TP on the Wii.

BOTW is the reason to buy the Switch at the moment and has insane WOM and critical reception. It will keep selling for years to come. It can absolutely do 10 million.

Jazzem

I don't know about 10 million, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's one of the best selling entries in the series. Depends how much momentum it maintains, I feel like Zelda sales are usually more frontloaded than some of Nintendo's other franchises.

Also, Link Between Worlds is way too low on that chart :(

TP came out on the Wii and managed 8.5M

I don't see it for BOTW breaking 10M considering OOT is the outlier and it 'only' did 7.6M on the N64 with 3DS contributing a good chunk to it's overall sales. I don't see the WiiU contributing that much to the overall sales of BOTW and even if the game does have a long tail, no single game has sold over 10M or close to it on one platform.

5-6M is a safe bet.

I don't know about 10 million, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's one of the best selling entries in the series. Depends how much momentum it maintains, I feel like Zelda sales are usually more frontloaded than some of Nintendo's other franchises.

Also, Link Between Worlds is way too low on that chart :(

I think breath of the wild may be different due to its open world, as it lets people play for longer and be engaged with the game more. With other zeldas people would finish after they beat the game and probably just drop it for years but with this one you can keep playing to find all the shrines, or maybe try to take ganon on with 3 hearts. Also the DLC might provide sales boosts depending on how substantial the hard mode and new dungeon are.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I hope so after a few years. Seems like a game that lots of people will get with the Switch.

Also those Hyrule Warriors sales are really sad. It's a terrific game.

As a launch title it's possible, not probable. It would need an absurd lifetime attach rate like a wii fit (>46%) to get there anytime soon.

I think a more reasonable expectation is something like Halo: CE, 6-8 million.

Striek

Most important game in Nintendo's history ?

Not even top 10. But it is going to remain a very big fish in a very small pond for longer than any other Nintendo title due to market conditions, so I think it has a good shot.

gdt

Twilight Princess is not as good as BotW, and did not have the same reception that BotW is currently enjoying.

I'm not sure that's true....at the time anyway. A 95 and a 97 are basically the same, at least in terms of how people feel about a game overall.

That fall on Gaf and the internet was nuts with TP hype and it basically delivered in terms of internet reception. Only later....as always...did that begin to change.

It will change for BOTW as well.

Top Bottom