• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prediction: Will Stray or Plague Tale: Requiem take GoTY over Elden Ring and God of War: Ragnarök at The Game Awards?

Will Stray or Plague Tale: Requiem take GoTY over Elden Ring and God of War: Ragnarök?

• Yes, Stray or Plague Tale: Requiem take GoTY o

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • No, Elden Ring and God of War: Ragnarök will win instead.

Votes: 122 95.3%

• Total voters

Success

Two indie tiles in Hades and It Takes Two have won the previous two years at the VGAs.

Many would argue that covid essentially slowed down the development cycle so much that no truly excellent AAA games were released those years.

Do you think it is possible that another indie would beat both Elden Ring and God of War: Ragnarök?

Keep in mind that it is the critics that have the majority voting power do decide who wins.

The real question is, will the VGAs survive if another indie game wins.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
no GIF by Harlem Globetrotters

bender

What time is it?
I don't think Stray or Plague Tale are all that good, then again I had similar thoughts about It Takes Two.

wvnative

I'd love it if A Plauge Tale won but it won't. It's likely going to be Elden Ring or God of War Ragnarok. Likely Elden Ring.

A game like stray winning goty is dangerous to the validity of goty going forward. It's why people dont trust the oscars as much. These award shows cant get it wrong. If a concensus top 3 doesn't win people won't trust the governing body.

Jennings

It's hard to put myself in the mind of a critic. Too little room in there. So I'll just vote how any reasonable person would.

Beechos

A plagues tale was such a disappointment as a seqel to a great 1st effort of a new franchise. Stray was just a run of the mill puzzle game with nice graphics. Neither will be mentioned as even a contender for goty.

Last edited:

Elios83

I've finished both and both are great games but we all know they added them to fill a list with some variety.
The competition is between God of War and Elden Ring.

Caio

No chance on earth, it's a Titanic war between God of Ring and Elden God. It will be so close that the names will mix together, creating even more confusion.

ungalo

I've finished both and both are great games but we all know they added them to fill a list with some variety.
The competition is between God of War and Elden Ring.
That's the thing, they don't add variety to the list.

Stray is basically the indie game that has the most money. A Plague Tale is another cinematic game like others already in the list. Very poor choices to show video games diversity.

Ywap

I haven't played Ragnarok or Forbidden West since i'm PC only but if they are as good as the first games we should have the winners here. If i were in charge i would give third place to Plague which is an awesome game.

I don't really know about Elden..... Great and beautiful game but the open world felt just like transportation between the bosses.

This is very unlikely to occur though 😁

SSfox

Elden Ring and GOWR are obviously the biggest games of the year but i wouldn't even be mad if Plague or Xeno 3 will win, but Stray no sorry game has no gameplay, Horizon 2 is kinda Ok game but not GOTY level game.

I would have added GT7 there too outside of Stray and HFW, game is peak of Automobile gaming. Also i'm huge Bayonetta fan both Bayo 1 and 2 were my GOTY of their year but 3 just like HZ2 is also not a game i would be into a GOTY nominees. Anyway pretty good list still.

Last edited:
Plagues Tale - Thanks for trying but you really never had a chance.

Stray - You were a PlayStation console exclusive so we will throw you a bone, but you’re still not winning.

Elden Ring - very strong case, but you don’t really hit that western rpg market that most North America gamers like.

GoW R - cookie cutter and expected “play it safe “ experience Let me blow you and please have my children. GOTY

No, not even close and if they did then the industry is more of a mess than I thought. Nothing against any of those games, but GoW and Elden Ring are on another plane of existence.

0neAnd0nly

As pretentious as the game industry has gotten - they will probably pick something out of left field.

Got to keep that self importance going with your important career of… check notes… playing with a toy and writing about it.

#DefinitionofIntellectual

Camreezie

I feel like in 2020 hades won because theyd have got a ton of hate if they gave it to Tlou2.
Last year wasnt a great crop to pick from so it takes two won. No controversy to save the other games from the big AAA this year

Top Bottom