• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preliminary: Nintendo has no regular booth at GDC 2018

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The Game Developers Conference will return to the Moscone Center in San Francisco, March 19-23, 2018, and call for papers was recently announced. Floor plans, early versions, were also made available. There are some major changes for 2018 with South Hall now being divided into two zones, though North Hall seems relatively untouched (apart from booth locations of course). Anyway, I had a look at the floor plans and Nintendo once again does not have a regular booth (only three business meeting rooms, each 200 sq ft).

Of course, these plans are not by any means finalized and much could change before GDC 2018 starts, but Nintendo has since 2015 forgone from a regular booth (in 2014 they had a 2500 sq ft booth in South Hall).

gdc18_nintendojqxp0.png

Bit of a wasted opportunity to not have a bigger presence at GDC 2018. There are many developers eager to start working on games for Nintendo Switch, and by March 2018 I would hope that Nintendo of America is seeing a more stabilized situation with large scale development houses and can then allocate some resources to small and medium size enterprises (indie developers primarily). Some kind of larger demonstration of development on Nintendo Switch wouldn't hurt. Especially for NA/EU.

For reference, Sony has one 6000 sq ft booth (601) in South Hall. Microsoft has seven 200 sq ft booths in North Hall.

Source: http://fp37.a2zinc.net/Clients/fpUBM/GDC2018/Public/eventmap.aspx

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Does it really matter all that much? It's not a consumer-facing show, and I dunno what Nintendo really even has to talk about.

SalvaPot

I wish they would give more use to the HD Rumble, or at least showcase it to developers, so far it has been not taking advantage of.

Do indie developers use this time to contact publishers or do publishers use this time to promote the indies games they are helping?

Maybe they will have a bigger presence at WonderCon which is right after GDC and is more consumer focused. It's run by the same group that runs San Diego Comic Con and Nintendo has a pretty big presence at that show each year.

Maybe there's gonna be a director's panel and they'll show us how ARMS started out and fighting game inside a sewer, Springman had a guitar, and someone is just wearing a Metallica shirt for no reason.

I wish they would give more use to the HD Rumble, or at least showcase it to developers, so far it has been not taking advantage of.

After hearing people saying that it made the controllers feel like they were refilling with ink in Splatoon 2, I was really disappointed that they either removed that or it was just BS. I really want more HD Rumble support. The controllers are so goddamn expensive because they're packed with all this tech and fucking nobody is using it. Who wants to bet we'll never see any kind of useful implementation for that stupid IR Camera?

tebunker

Banned
Rösti;244932058 said:
Nintendo has since 2015 forgone from a regular booth (in 2014 they had a 2500 sq ft booth in South Hall).

Bit of a wasted opportunity to not have a bigger presence at GDC 2018.
Source: http://fp37.a2zinc.net/Clients/fpUBM/GDC2018/Public/eventmap.aspx

Not sure this is that big of a deal. First they havent been there in three years with a booth. What value can be gained from a booth that they can't get with small meetings and things around the conference?

I am just nit convinced having a booth does anything that can't be achieved with other means.

atbigelow

Having a big booth doesn't mean they won't have a big presence at GDC. Meetings can take place without a booth.

That's true. I don't even think it would need to be a big booth, either. I should have clarified: I don't think BIG GDC BOOTH equates to anything other than "we spent money on a booth".

Top Bottom