• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preordering games is dumb

Ceadeus

Personally I would only pre order limited edition because they usually sold out real fast. Otherwise, I can't really remember pre ordering. Maybe people are afraid of missing out. Gamestop have been good to make people afraid of missing out by asking to pre order over and over to their customers.

Are they to blame when it comes to pre order exclusivity?

Senua

baaaa-ck off bitch ima pre-order on PSN no refunds cos I GETS MINE cracka

160217-lamb-c-Tom-Harrison-Solent-News-REX-Shutterstock-rexfeatures_8112241c.jpg

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Digital: only for the discounts or goodies / DLC you get.
Physical: to have it on release day or for limited editions, becaus you know.. They are limited 😅

Reactions: Isa

Kupfer

Publishers: "add in some cheap plastic shit so they buy it even if it sucks."
Me: "Oh nice, I like this one. Good I pre-ordered, I am happy with my purchase, and nobody was hurt"
You:"Oh you little fuck, how dare you having fun with your preorder, stop feel good!"

TheKratos

I only preorder games that I'm 100% sure I will like and when it has a preorder bonus for previous installment. Like pre ordering Cold War gave you Woods operator pack.

I don't see the point in pre ordering a digital version, no amount of additional items will ever make me do it.
But I see the benefit, at least in my country, of preordering physical releases at Amazon for example

1- I don't get charged until release day
2- They always deliver the game really quickly (on release date if you have Prime)
3- Usually there's some kind of discount during preorder

So why wouldn't why?

borborygmus

Yes it does.

I have merely adopted your wording.

But no need to argue here, I'm just tired of constantly reading these power-sapping comments about something from people who don't allow others their fun and decisions.

!= "Oh you little fuck, how dare you having fun with your preorder, stop feel good!"

Senua

I don't see the point in pre ordering a digital version, no amount of additional items will ever make me do it.
But I see the benefit, at least in my country, of preordering physical releases at Amazon for example

1- I don't get charged until release day
2- They always deliver the game really quickly (on release date if you have Prime)
3- Usually there's some kind of discount during preorder

So why wouldn't why?
The game could suck donkey chode

ShadowNate

For specific cases (mostly to support developers) then I can see me doing it. Again filtered on a case by case basis.

Otherwise no.

I did back projects on Kickstarter. A lot of them. Mostly back when they at least pretended like backing a project was not a preorder. Then Kickstarter started sucking hard, being abused by dishonest people, broken promises, abandoned projects and outright scams.

So, no more or that.

Edit: Also, preorder or pledge exclusive goodies = no purchase of your product until you either include all of that in your product proper or your product's price drops to$2.

Last edited:

Of course, but I always glance through the reviews one week or two before the game drops. If it sucks, I can always cancel the preorder and the only thing I'll lose is 1 min of my time.

Games here in Brazil are too expensive... if I can save anything, even if it's just a little bit by preordering it, I certainly will.

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Games aren't scarce. You'll easily be able to secure a copy at launch.

Preorder exclusives are scummy and shouldn't be supported.

The game might suck.

Why the hell would you commit, far in advance, to buying a game?
The best thing is all those digital goodies they advertise as “pre-order bonuses” come packed into the physical game case. So as long as you buy it within a reasonable amount of time you’re getting that stuff anyways.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i agree but people can do what they want with their money. there is a reason pre orders are a thing and that's because people are happy to do it. can't blame a business doing it because they are out to make money after all. it's not their fault if people want to hand over money before they receive the product.

things i've pre ordered:

consoles (ps5/xsx) - because they are scarce and if you want it at release you need to be quick
phone - i just got an iphone which if i didn't pre order i'd need to wait weeks for it.
collector's edition of a game - because only so many will be made.
books - not so much an issue these days but back in 2005-2007 i would pre order the Harry Potter books because they sold shit loads.

things i won't pre order:

basically any digital product because it won't run out of copies. i MIGHT pre order a physical game (not that i buy physical games...) if it was something like GTA because A) it's gonna sell like crazy B) you have a good idea of what the game will be like. there is an exception to pre ordering digital games. I'm gonna pre order Cyberpunk about a week before it comes out because A) I'm gonna buy it no matter what people say about it and even if it ends up turning out to be shit B) I want to be able to pre load the game so i can start playing straight away.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've only preordered one digital game and that was Doom Eternal, mainly because it came with a brand new PC port of Doom 64 as a freebie.

Yep, never regreted preordering on Amazon until TLOU2. Guess I could have returned the game? Amazon has very good refund policies for prime users but I've never tried it with games.

Eevee86

If I know I'm going to get something, I might as well just order it so it shows up on launch day so I don't have to go pick it up. I can understand ordering at Gamestop or something, but not online ones.

Rolla

Banned
The games I'm interested in I play Day 1 so for me, preordering is essential. And I appreciate the early unlocks that come with pre orders. They're often not essential but still a welcomed incentive.

I want new AAA games on disc. If I want a game new and at release, it might be wise to preorder. I’ll just find the store with the best price and preorder. Sometimes they do run out of release batches for games! Especially if they are selling it for the cheapest price. It has happened to me many many times.

The only time I preordered games was a Nintendo collector’s edition game for resale value or a game that was on discount.

FranXico

The game might suck.

Now imagine being hyped about a big game, and knowing it will be part of a subscription service, you will be paying $15 a month, until that one great game you are really looking forward to comes out in a year.

Majukun

it sure is.
only game i prre-ordered in the last years is cyberpunk, and that's only becaus e there was a big discount on the pre order

sublimit

Banned
For digital yes it is very dumb. But for physical not really.I don't always pre-order or buy games on day one but there are three very valid reasons that will make me pre-order a (physical) game:

1)Small,niche games that have limited stock and could become rare and more expensive later on.
2)Developers and publishers i trust and know that i will 100% enjoy their game so i want to congratulate their effort with my money.
3)Collectors Editions. I buy CEs very very selectively nowdays (and only for games i know i will love) and pre-ordering them is often the most secure way to actually get them at their initial price.

Eternal21

I've pre-ordered every single Naughty Dog game since Uncharted 1, and have yet to be disappointed. Why do I pre-order? So that the game magically appears at my door on launch day, without me having to remember to order it later on. Useful with all the delays.

I'll go you one further. Buying games at full price is dumb. Most of them are half the price in 2 months, and we all know you haven't even played that other 35 games in your backlog.

I agree, except for Nintendo or other more scarce, low batch games.

Also, to the OP, I will preorder limited batch physical games like LRG because I have no certainty that Best Buy or another publisher will have them in the future and I don’t want to pay eBay prices. I will certainly preorder the Castlevania collection once posted by LRG.

KO7

Preordered for the first time in probably a decade because bestbuy has a steelbook exclusive for Cyberpunk.

Kataploom

Gold Member

The game might suck.

While I understand the reasoning and support it, the bolded part doesn't go with me, I'll only know if I'll like a game I'm interested in only by playing it, reviews do nothing from me and never match my thoughts anyway.

BTW, I'll just preorder Nintendo games, since waiting for them to lower their prices is even dumber unless the market starts unliking their games or so...

dorkimoe

I don’t pay attention to release dates as close as I use to. Pre order helps me track. I’m not out any money doing so

ruvikx

Banned
One of the first & foremost reasons for pre-ordering video games back in the old days was their scarcity upon or after release - or fear of missing out for the same reasons (aka local stores not having the game you want in stock for Christmas or other).

Digital downloads put an end to that particular problem (& buying over the Internet had previously made acquiring games much easier as well). So there's no real reason to pre-order anymore (especially considering post-release patches generally make a game better weeks/months/years after release).

It's not like a games console where pre-orders really do have significant value because (as we've seen with this recent console releases), it's a case of "first come, first served".

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

The game might suck.

Digital even worse pay in advance for something that isn’t even finished. So giving the devs the money in advance and fuck it release it broken we’ll patch it in later.

Yeah, I've always felt the same. I was a hypocrite in one instance though. I preordered Okami on the PS2 back in the day. (I still haven't opened it, lol. But I have played it the HD version and absolutely *love* it.) The Buddha Board that came with it was cool though.

But generally I'm always behind and almost never play new releases anyway. But even if I did, I'd never preorder.

Estocolmo

Also most games nowadays are partly broken at release and the first few weeks.
I prefer to wait 2 months after release.

Like everything else it depends on the situation. For example, preordering games on Amazon is fine because their is no financial commitment, you can cancel any time before they ship, and you get whatever preorder bonuses are available. Not to mention you typically get release date delivery with Amazon game preorders. I would say preorders that require money down and try to shame you when you cancel (GameStop) are dumb.

Last edited:

Arthimura

There's something called Amazon, they only charge your credit card when the game is send to your house, and by preordering you are guaranteed of paying the lowest release price.

There is preload for digital purchases too, allowing people to play the game at launch.

Top Bottom