President Trump will deliver a prime-time address Tuesday, 9PM

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage
President Trump announced on Monday that he would address the nation from the Oval Office on Tuesday evening to discuss what he called the crisis at the southern border, and the White House said that later in the week he would travel to the border as part of his effort to persuade Americans of the need for a wall — the sticking point in negotiations with Democrats which caused a government shutdown.

The address will be carried by all networks.

Dec 3, 2013

Nancy and Chuck demanding equal representation.....REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Wait what? Since when do they expect equal air-time to a presidential address? Has this ever happened before where senators or congressmen felt they had the privileges of a president to do this?

They already have their PR machines running through the mass media LOL.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Other than Donald trump wanting money, what about the American Southern border situation has elevated it to a crisis?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Not saying Trump is right, but I think a lot of Americans believe it has been in crisis for some time.
Ok fine, but Trumps rhetoric impliceert the situation is at breaking point, are there figures that document a Sharp rise indicatating that suddenly the current system is no longer fit for purpose or something?

Oct 24, 2017
After hearing some talking heads today it seems that Trump's strategy tomorrow will be focusing on the "humanitarian crisis" like the kids dying. I also hope he will drop the term "wall" and start using "fence" or "barrier", it'll make the Dem's position that much harder to defend.

Jul 31, 2014
Finland
After hearing some talking heads today it seems that Trump's strategy tomorrow will be focusing on the "humanitarian crisis" like the kids dying. I also hope he will drop the term "wall" and start using "fence" or "barrier", it'll make the Dem's position that much harder to defend.
The amount of people coming over the border has gone down significantly in the past 20 years. Trump says he needs to waste 5 billion on a wall to stop terrorists from entering the country and to stop drug traffic.

Can you please name all those terrorist groups that have crossed the border from Mexico and attacked the U.S? That list will be really really short.

Also majority of the drugs come through legal points of entry, usually in vehicles. Of course it's quite possible that Trump knows the truth and DEA and other agencies are lying. /s

I don't know how a wall will help to solve a problem that has nothing to do with it. But hey, who needs common sense. When your whole political campaign is based on catchphrases for the stupid, gotta keep those promises. Even though it's a financial shitshow and pretty much useless for the "crisis" that he's pulling out of his ass. Maybe Trump is jealous at Bush, because he was able to bury trillions into a desert with no good reason.

The caravan is coming! What a clownshow.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018
Will this be low energy, sniffling, speech-written-by-the-guy-who-paints-hair-on-his-balding-head Trump or will it be retarded, word vomit, bullshit spewing, angry Trump?
Only time will tell.

Jun 7, 2004
What if he declares it a national emergency and uses emergency funding? Can they block that?

(genuine question)
The courts can block it, or the military can refuse to spend their budget on it. Congress could block it but the Senate is still intent on licking Trump’s boots so that seems unlikely.

I think they know this won’t stand up in court, so it’s just a way of backing down without looking like they are capitulating to Democrats.

Sep 4, 2018
Other than Donald trump wanting money, what about the American Southern border situation has elevated it to a crisis?
a lot of it is the War on Drugs, which has messed up South America, and a lot of migrants are fleeing territories where drug cartels run things, not the police or state

a lot of it is the US gov't declining to do anything to update immigration laws since 1986. if someone wants to go through the legal process, it takes years, even decades, and tons of money. it is not efficient and needs to be updated. on top of that, a bunch of this stuff began blowing up under Obama, and with the whole post-9/11 Homeland Security thing, we got pretty good at putting people in cages on US soil. militia patrolling the border has been a thing since ever.

so like many things, it's a problem we ignored and let fester until someone like Trump comes along and exploits it for his own gain.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2004
It's going to be hard to argue that the solution to a humanitarian crisis is a giant wall that will force starving, dehydrated people to turn around and go back where they came from.

Nov 21, 2012
I will not be tuning into Captain Asshole spew forth diarrhea from the mouth on National Television. And blame the Democratic Party for the shut down, when he already said, that any shutdown that occurs he will take the blame. Republicans had control of the Senate and House for the past 2 years and still couldn’t get wall funding.

Also the primary mode of travel for terrorists into the U.S. is not traveling over the southern border with Mexico. They get here through plane travel. So perhaps it’s not a good idea to stonewall federal funding or pay for TSA agents.

The shutdown will end when DJT, gets the ok from Hannity and other Fox News pundits.

Anyone who defends this asshole, needs to have their head examined in a psychiatric setting.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
I think I understand what Esmer was going for but anytime someone goes with the “all *insert group here* people” approach they lose credibility.

Like, of course there’s nothing wrong with “old white men” I’m general and preferring to be around gang members then a typical “old white man” is pretty ridiculous, in my opinion.

Jan 26, 2018
It's going to be hard to argue that the solution to a humanitarian crisis is a giant wall that will force starving, dehydrated people to turn around and go back where they came from.
UN law on asylum is that you have to file for asylum in the FIRST safe available country. So to all these people from Honduras, Guatemala etc they have to file asylum in MEXICO! I feel no sympathy for these people. They have an opportunity to stay in Mexico. They want to get into the USA. It's their own fault if they are having issues. They can file asylum in MEXICO!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018
whether this "really works" or not is beside the point. it is entirely a symbolic move, because Trump understands the power of symbolism. moreover it's a call to action for Our Troops The Journalists. people get the chance to pull out their sci fi/fantasy references and say "Trump is so stupid" for the 5,000,000,000th time, all while continuing to promote his brand.

Obama gave up on his promise to shut down Gitmo pretty quickly, and notice how people didn't really turn out for his midterms as a result. Trump is massively disliked, yet his floor is pretty rock-solid, and it is likely due to his stubbornness on things like this. he isn't caving like a normal politician would.

whether people like the wall or not, whether they think it will work or do anything, is insignificant in an era where the only thing that matters is winning.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018
You know, technically, the wall did work in Game of Thrones. It's only because the Night Watch had been reduced to a shadow of its former self that it couldn't maintain the wall. But the wall, designed by the legendary Bran the Builder, is actually what initially saved Westros. So like, the wall literally saved humanity.

Similarly, in Attack on Titan, the wall managed to keep the people safe for multiple generations, lulling them into a sense of complacency and security. It's only because the enemy had a weapon previously unknown to the people that they were able to breach the wall in the first place. Even then, when the second wall was breached, they managed to secure it, thus using the wall to save what was left of humanity. Without going into spoiler territory, the wall is far more important and effective when you consider why it was built.

I haven't any familiarity with The Passage or Zone One, but they appear to be post apocalyptic novels about vampires and zombies, respectively. Personally, I think comparing Mexicans to vampires, zombies, titans, and white walkers is a little bit racist.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
It's only because the Night Watch had been reduced to a shadow of its former self that it couldn't maintain the wall. But the wall, designed by the legendary Bran the Builder, is actually what initially saved Westros. So like, the wall literally saved humanity.
The Wall worked so well, that stories of white walkers became nothing but tall tales of grumpkins and snarks.

Aug 30, 2018
This will be the first time I've watched network TV since the last State of the Union.

Looks like Trump is already coordinating with Mexico on border security. Glad to see they'll be helping out.

MEXICO CITY (AP) — The Mexican government has pledged to put guards at some 370 illegal crossing points along the country’s southern border with Guatemala.

The crossings “will be guarded and controlled to prevent the entry of undocumented people,” Interior Secretary Olga Sanchez Cordero said Monday.

Dec 3, 2018
The Wall worked so well, that stories of white walkers became nothing but tall tales of grumpkins and snarks.
I know, right? The lesson to take away from Game of Thrones is that the wall was TOO effective. I mean, I don't care if people think the Mexico wall won't work, but at least understand the fiction you are comparing it to.

Aug 11, 2018
I know, right? The lesson to take away from Game of Thrones is that the wall was TOO effective. I mean, I don't care if people think the Mexico wall won't work, but at least understand the fiction you are comparing it to.
Then a long time from now a mexican dragon is gonna fight with an incest president and first lady to decide who will rule the american wastelands

May 22, 2018
I'll pass. If I wanted to listen to some moron stroke his own ego and lie to me for an hour I could just watch Sean Hannity or Tucker Carlson

I'll just check in with CNN or MSNBC after it's over for the rundown of all his lies.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I'll pass. If I wanted to listen to some moron stroke his own ego and lie to me for an hour I could just watch Sean Hannity or Tucker Carlson

I'll just check in with CNN or MSNBC after it's over for the rundown of all his lies.
This won't be a long-winded address according to reports, it'll be about 8 minutes long with a few minutes from Pelosi and Schumer to follow it up.

Oct 24, 2017
I don't think there is any debate here whether or not Trump has the legal right to declare an emergency. There are currently 31 active "emergencies" declared by previous presidents. Obama declared 12 of them. Most of them have nothing to do with our own national security.

The debate is whether or not this gives him the power to use funds and manpower from the military to build a barrier.

120v

Mar 14, 2013
america will walk away from the broadcast thinking "this is worthing risking our infrastructure for, a border wall." pelosi and schumer will be shamed into giving twice as much and then mexico will reimburse us in good faith

#foreverwinning

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2013
This won't be a long-winded address according to reports, it'll be about 8 minutes long with a few minutes from Pelosi and Schumer to follow it up.
My goodness we live in clown world where people in the Senate think their role is equal to that of the president where they're afforded air time just after his address.

I don't remember this ever happening in my lifetime. Does anyone ever remember this happening?

Us citizens are being played for fools.

Last edited:

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
My goodness we live in clown world where people in the Senate think their role is equal to that of the president where they're afforded air time just after his address.

I don't remember this ever happening in my lifetime. Does anyone ever remember this happening?

Us citizens are being played for fools.
There's an official response from the opposing party after every formal address, televised right after the president.

Last edited: