• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Presidential Debate #1 |Hofstra University| PRESS X TO SEAN

Who won the debate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, please continue, you can join the line of GOP poiliticans that do that same.
Get a grip. Now I'm on board with the GOP?

Or is a candidate's demeanor and body language only on-topic if they're men?

We've been talking just as much about Trump's faces and flustering and attitude. Is that inappropriate?

I don't care if she smiles more or smiles less or not at all. I don't care what colors she wears or what clothes. I just care about her showing herself to be beyond pure political calculation, because that Clinton can make a real connection with voters who are looking for straight talk.

I can understand agreement on white nationalist centric platforms on a 70% white majority country. That is democracy: rule of the majority.

BTW I'm not saying that minorities should have worse treatment or anything, just seems reasonable that a candidate has a strong support when the 70% majority gets seduced by policies focused on favoring them

Trump has done a far better job of worming his way out of things that he doesn't understand by spewing a bunch of dumb bullshit than you have.

The more you keep digging, the dumber you'll look.

Part of me wants to see him try. It's the easiest counter for Clinton. I bet she's prepared if and when he resorts to saying it. He nearly did tonight.

She wouldn't have to say anything back. Bringing that up would destroy Trump. His advisors probably have to beg him not to say anything about Bill's infidelities.

I thought at first Hillary should be more assertive but towards the middle of the debate I thought it was smart she let Trump do his thing. She's been debating for a long time so she knows whats up.

She is a real politician. She knew to let him talk bullshit and call him out on it, while still addressing the topic on hand. She's someone that is actually qualified to be president. He stepped into the lion's den and got shredded.

bYNCkGn.png

Holy shit that's real. ha ha Howard Dean has to look back at that scream he made and shake his head at what was once considered a campaign ending gaff.

Calidor

Im going to bet that you were pulling for Trump to win, and confident that he would; and now that he got thrashed you ar......

Yeah... That's.... really easy to see through.

good lord, I'm not supporting anyone. I already said that I'm an outsider that is observing how this election goes, not even voting and with nothing "at stake"

akileese

The problem Trump has with the next debate isn't just preparation, it's all the shit he said tonight becoming more for Hillary to go at him with.

This is why I think Lester Holt did an okay job. He did a poor job of wrangling both candidates, but he also let them spar with each other. Let the candidates get their point across.

Armaros

Get a grip. Now I'm on board with the GOP?

Or is a candidate's demeanor and body language only on-topic if they're men?

We've been talking just as much about Trump's faces and flustering and attitude. Is that inappropriate?

I don't care if she smiles more or smiles less or not at all. I don't care what colors she wears or what clothes. I just care about her showing herself to be beyond pure political calculation, because that Clinton can make a real connection with voters who are looking for straight talk.

Because you can tell pure calculation from her smiles. And definitely not projection.

Keep digging. You couldn't be more transparent.

Well, to put it more generally, I think Trump won with people who don't care about debates, or policy. He had enough one-liners to successfully paint her as ineffective. That's really all he needs to do. He doesn't need to play Hillary's policy game, he just needs to make her seem like the same old politics that have done nothing for the average middle class American. I know PoliGAF doesn't necessarily understand this perspective, but many people in America don't care about the intricacies of foreign policy or even specific domestic details. They want someone who projects leadership and who appears to be a "fixer", not a politician.

Whether there's enough of these people to put the election in his favor remains to be seen. But I don't think his fumbles tonight were enough to ruin his position with most undecideds and independents. I say this as someone who supported Bernie and plans to vote for Hillary.

The American people want someone who proposes solutions and doesn't just complain about problems. The candidate that did that is without a doubt Hillary Clinton.

border

Listening to him claim to have the better temperament was pretty hilarious, considering that he spent the whole debate trying to interrupt her or provide petty snipes while she was speaking.

Steel

Banned
The problem with that is the American people also like when Trump does his own thing. It's why he has made it this far. I'm curious to see how the polls play out. Even though I believe Clinton won this by a mile, I still believe the polls will be really close.

He only started to go up in the polls after reigning himself in. Trump doing his own thing isn't appealing to a general electorate.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I can understand agreement on white nationalist centric platforms on a 70% white majority country. That is democracy: rule of the majority.

BTW I'm not saying that minorities should have worse treatment or anything, just seems reasonable that a candidate has a strong support when the 70% majority gets seduced by policies focused on favoring them

You completely avoided what I asserted which was that you suggested her platform to be worse than his.

Hillary didnt beat trump... Trump beat trump
Hillary did very well. Her delivery in the beginning was a little off, but her question about police bias? Man, a great answer and delivered very well. She switched between smart and factual but boring ramblings, great points and counterpoints to what trump was barfing out, and cold hard stares and smiles. A few times up there she was straight Littlefingering.

Sapientas

My thoughts.

Trump: Better debater, more charismatic, more suitable for foreign policy. His domestic policies would be disgusting.

Hillary: More sane, totally better at domestic policies. She never wanted to address Trump head on though which worries me.

Conclusion: I still don't like either candidates.
You're gonna have to explain these. Watching that debate and coming to that conclusion seems irrational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom