• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press release: Nintendo sold 100M DS worldwide

creamsugar

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2009/090311.html

graph.gif

11/21/2004 ~ 3/6/2009

GB: 118,000,000
GBA: 81,000,000

Koren

ScythD said:
Wow thats impressive growth, but how long can it last?
There's still no sign of slowing down on the graph. Gameboy lasted a decade, even with (really) outdated hardware.

I'd say that it'll really depend on competition. Should there be a threat, they would probably think about releasing a successor. But without that, I can see them going on with DS for a couple of years at least.

Majmun

Well deserved. And it deserves to sell more. Probably the only Nintendo platform with a steady amount of good games being released.

CorwinB

This thing used to print something, IIRC...

that's nice. I've got two.
I've got 4 (Launch DS Phat, White/Silver/Lime Green DS Lites), plus a DSi preordered. My wife and my older daughter only have 2 each (Phat + Lite).

Probably going to take two more years to overtake the PS2, but if the successor is 100% BC with the DS and comes out before then, the DS's legs are going to be slashed out from under it, unlike the PS2 which is enjoying the healthy old age that comes with a shitty non-BC successor.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PSP vs DS is gonna become the NEW analogy of choice for demonstrating Nintendo incompetence.

this time next year people won't ask whether nintendo should get out of hardware, because the incontrovertible evidence that they should will be choking remainder aisles at a retailer near you!

By the time the current GBA audience is ready to upgrade their newly-purchased SPs, the PSP will be a legitimate phenomenon, and the DS pulpiteers will still be cruising the local EBs vainly looking for Pictochat partners.

You know you're in trouble when the strongest title you can trot out for a system as a display of its capabilities is a collection of mini-games.

after the ds's current rash of tamagotchis, graphical chat rooms, and minigame collections, i wonder what sort of preposterous gaming rubbish will be left to dredge up and repackage. love testers? pachislot? hentai dating sims? the mind reels. and after a brief period of reorientation, gets back to lusting after a psp. as the healthy mind must.

It is only a matter of time until consumers see that the PSP slaps the NDS in the face.

Simple answer: No [the DS will not outsell the PSP]
Extended answer: Dreamcast

The PSP will indeed slaughter all competition.

I think if you talk to people who have seen both the DS and PSP, you'll get the impression that DS really isn't going to be sitting pretty a year from now. I really, really, really think Nintendo underestimated the pull of attractive graphics.

Put the PSP next to the DS in the eyes of a customer and you can bury the DS the next day.

The DS will sell decently for 6-12 months, but it's so far behind the PSP, customers are going to jump ship.

pspwned.jpg

Valtor

Banned
So considering this is a quite linear curve, 2009 will sell 30 million more, so 130m by march 2010, and...let's say 155m by march 2011? (Let's assume that sales will slow a bit in 2010...) So they will be probably at equality then...

I'd say new system release in 2011? Along with WiiHD?

timetokill said:
He still has time. Go back and attribute the quotes, please! :lol
The sad thing is I think I can identify them without even looking. There are at least two drinky quotes in there, one drohne, and one very infamous quote from SonyCowboy.

Valtor said:
So considering this is a quite linear curve, 2009 will sell 30 million more, so 130m by march 2010, and...let's say 155m by march 2011? (Let's assume that sales will slow a bit in 2010...) So they will be probably at equality then...

I'd say new system release in 2011? Along with WiiHD?

i'm thinking this year could be a very good year for the ds (even better than its usual very good numbers) in japan last year wasn't very good for ds sales whereas this year there'll be a full year of the dsi coupled with dragon quest 9, in the west the dsi launches in a few weeks (i've already heard preorder numbers in a few stores here in the uk and they are pretty damn huge), if nintendo makes enough i think we could easily see 40 million in a year

Nuclear Muffin said:
The graph still says sold, but the text says shipped (Either way it won't be long before the consoles leave the shelves :D)

The Japanese announcement says sold in both the graph and the text.

Screw message board posts, we need more "professional" analyst posts.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/analyst-psp-will-increase-us-lead-over-ds

U.S. sales of Sony PSP will dwarf those of Nintendo DS over the next five years, according to a report released today.

SIG has compared year-by-year sales and estimates for the first five years of each machine's life, using sell-in and factory shipments. It points out that in its first year both PSP and DS managed around 13 million units each, with DS slightly ahead.

Year two cumulative stats give PSP 25 million over DS' 22 million. In Year Three the difference rises to ten million (38m to 28m). In Year Four, PSP's lead has stretched to 15 million and to 20 million by Year Five.

Software unit sales will increase cumulatively from Year One's 70 million units to 122 million in Year 2, and over 200 million in Year Three.

SIG stated, "Sony will likely expand the addressable market for portable gaming devices with the PSP. As the class of gamers seeking console-like gaming grows, the PSP will be the only serious alternative to Nintendo portables. In time the variety and depth of games on the PSP could attract a larger demographic than even Nintendo portables."

It added, "Yet we must keep in mind that the PSP is Sony's first attempt and the launch has not been without problems. Hardware pricing is probably stifling PSP adoption, and ported game selection is limited."

SIG also points out that software revenue mix in calendar year 2005 will be Nintendo 58% / third parties 42% for DS, but Sony 24% / third parties 76% for PSP.

theBishop said:
What quality DS games are coming out soon? Maybe it'll be 100M+1.
Depends on what you're into, but just next week there's Suikoden Tierkesis, Valkyrie Profile, and Henry Hatsworth's Puzzling Adventure. In in Japan this week there's Picross 3D and at the end of the month, Space Invaders Extreme 2! :O~~~

Top Bottom