• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Previous gen versions of Resident Evil 8 possibly dropped.

Jethalal

Banned
UJc4frp.jpg

The Xbox website lists it only for Series X and S.
Resident Evil Village | Xbox

Same was tweeted by Xbox UK account:
BB01pmZ.png

Earlier it was reported they were trying hard to make it work on previous gen consoles.
Resident Evil Village may not be next-gen exclusive after all • Eurogamer.net

Speaking today during a Tokyo Games Show presentation, producer Tsuyoshi Kanda stated Capcom would "do our best" to create PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions too.

"While Resident Evil Village is being developed specifically for next-generation consoles and PC, we're looking into delivering the experience on Xbox One and PS4 as well," Kanda said.

"We're looking into it, but we can't make any promises. However, we will do our best in creating a top-tier survival horror experience on current generation consoles."

Could this have been done to avoid a Cyberpunk-esque fiasco? What's your reaction to this?

MiguelItUp

If the rumors about its performance were true at any point in its development, I could see this being true AF.

That being said, I feel like Capcom could handle multiplatform a lot better than CDPR for obvious reasons. But it WOULD be nice to breakaway from previous gen so we can focus more on current. Give us them super pretty games plz.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

If the rumors about its performance were true at any point in its development, I could see this being true AF.

That being said, I feel like Capcom could handle multiplatform a lot better than CDPR for obvious reasons. But it WOULD be nice to breakaway from previous gen so we can focus more on current. Give us them super pretty games plz.
That's because RE is always a game which much smaller scope and linear. CDPR isn't that incompetent, they are just too ambitious

Skifi28

It seems unlikely that third party games will drop last gen support so soon, there's very few consoles out there. The RE engine has also proven to be very versatile so a Cyberpunk fiasco doesn't seem plausible. I just don't see what they have to gain.

Jethalal

Banned
There there, with Hitman 3 running at 1800p on PS5 if RE Village does indeed run at 1200p-1600p with even say FPS issues you never know Mr Golem could've been right all along.
But I remember him saying that PS5 was causing problems, that's dumb when you consider Series S is there too. Didn't he admit to lying too?

vkbest

MiguelItUp

That's because RE is always a game which much smaller scope and linear. CDPR isn't that incompetent, they are just too ambitious
Not really what I was getting at. More so that Capcom has just been around a lot longer and have more experience under their belt overall. I personally feel CDPR just straight up bit off more than they could chew. Which I would totally put in incompetent territory, personally.

Last edited:

Neff

Guess they're gonna have to if they want to actually sell any copies since nobody can buy a PS5 or Series X

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Terrible decision for short-term sales but long-term it could even out or bomb completely.
Besides, the "Throne of Goodwill" is now open to any developer who wants to spoil us and make creatively strong decisions, ever since CDPR was tossed aside.
Any takers? Capcom?

Dr_Salt

Yea I'll wait for confirmation first chief. Nothing about RE8 screams next gen. Maybe after today it will but who knows.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow. Capcom willing to ignore millions of base consoles.

Maybe game makers with 2021 games are willing to do that. But 2020 are mandatory cross genners.

Hydroxy

No way. It will be on PS4 and Xbox One for sure . Nobody owns next gen consoles so sending out only next gen versions to die isn't good business.

Stuart360

No way. It will be on PS4 and Xbox One for sure . Nobody owns next gen consoles so sending out only next gen versions to die isn't good business.
There will probably be 10+mil next gen consoles in the wild when it launches, and all it would mean is lesser upfront sales, but lower more consistent sales over a much longer timeframe, as people will be continually buying consoles for the next few years.

Hydroxy

There will probably be 10+mil next gen consoles in the wild when it launches, and all it would mean is lesser upfront sales, but lower more consistent sales over a much longer timeframe, as people will be continually buying consoles for the next few years.
Best strategy is to be cross gen and enjoy best of both.

Let's hold on till we get an official announcement from them, as the insider beta builds (ambassador or whatever they call it) clearly carried a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One X version.

This is probably the aftereffects of the CP2077 PR nightmare on last gen consoles, that third parties are very careful now.

They will probably release it later, once they have stable performance, like they did with the Vergil DLC for DMC5.

I should hope so too. Hobbling development by tieing then to such weak tech will just make for a worse game, and for barely any additional sales.
No psvr version then. So tell me again why its fps??!

There's going to be a PSVR2, and this will get a patch for that.

If it fails to.match REmake 2's sales though, I doubt 9 will be first person.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Do what they did with RE7 on the Switch and FFXIII on iOS. Have it available via a streaming service. You can stream your PS5 from your PS4. Couldn’t you do that with a game like a service Stadia uses?

Last edited:
Top Bottom