• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey 2 (System Shock 3?) Concept Docs Leaked on Torrent Site [Up: Full Slides]

Full Slides: http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2014/05/prey-2-early-concept-docs-leaked.html

---

It looks like Prey 2 concept documents have leaked on a torrent site. I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to the files here, but they just went up on a public and widely known site.

I shouldn't have to say this, but take it all with a grain of salt. The documents could be easily faked, and as you know there is this guy.

Here are the documents from a Pastebin, i've been told these are from two PDF documents that contain pictures as well:

Document1 said:
Prey 2 – Early visual exploration

High level notes from Raph
• Spiritual successor to System Shock 2
• Characters / Plot can be all new
• Variety in the level layouts is important • Avoid hallway-room-hallway play. • Verticality • Multiple paths through the environment • Areas should serve a function

• Visually compelling / inviting AAA look right at the start.
• Avoid movie clichés - Alien’s slimy metal genitalia look and Blade Runner ‘s neon city at night.
• New visual approach to spaceship interiors / that’s still accessible to players.
• Avoid hard “M” rated gore - It’s more about psychological terror.

Setting - Era / Cultural Imprint / Player Identity

Questions to answer as we dive into prepro and the story develops
Degree of shape and proportion stylization &#8211; Stylized <-> Photoreal
Rendering approach &#8211; Painterly <-> Photoreal
Lighting / Post FX &#8211; Match the vibe / story beats / enhance gameplay.
Graphic Design treatment &#8211; Menus / HUDs / In Game signage / Marketing
Play to the strengths of the engine we ultimately wind up on

Personal approach &#8211;
I like to start with a game moment or story vignette and build out from there &#8211; even if the story is likely to go through a lot of iteration before it&#8217;s locked in.
Images on the following slides are from various artists as point of discussion ONLY
Original work would be created / commissioned during the prepro phase

Approach 1 - Origin
The player awakes in a high tech apartment - Bankok 2072 (A month before the events in System Shock 1)
He believes he is a hit man, he&#8217;s kept company by a young robotic girl that he developed the AI for. (Danielle S?)
Sci fi cityscape is visible through the window. This section is very contained with vistas handled through matte paintings.
His apartment is dingy but his gear is cutting edge.
Its revealed he&#8217;s been reliving the same day over and over &#8211; the loop is broken and he awakes in a high tech medical lab. Danielle runs off &#8211; the player gets up and attempts to follow her.
Look is clinical but familiar / grounded. Lots of physics Interactions at the start.
He makes his way out of the lab and discovers that he&#8217;s Inside an advanced industrial complex of some type.
Straights with diagonal edge cut approach. Key color pops to help distinguish areas. Plus large shape changes, landmark props. Layout variation is key, along with Vertical gameplay spaces. Distinct areas Would all have an identifiable purposes
He comes across high tech labs where experiments attempting to reverse engineer extremely advanced technology have gone horribly wrong.
Lighting and sound are critical to set the mood. Semi flooded sections might be interesting &#8211; Tech gone bad moments provide lots of interesting Visual FX moments.
The player recovers hybrid technology weapons, then stealthstheir way past security sentries, while fighting Off military robots and experiments gone wrong.
Robots with a military edge &#8211; believable vs. needlessly clunky. Experiments would be more dialed in and recognizable as human or once human. Monkeys injected with alien DNA could be fun.
The player chases Danielle deeper into the complex &#8211; she seems obsessed with finding something that&#8217;s calling out to her.
the player has to care if she&#8217;s running off. We&#8217;d need a really strong design / performance here.
As he goes further into the complex he realizes it&#8217;s been built On top of a massive alien ship that crash landed some time ago
On board the ship &#8211; it&#8217;s a different style altogether &#8211; the technology is a combination of alien metal and transparent materials - it has a fluid / organic design style to it in contrast to the harsh angles of the complex surrounding it.
The player comes across a huge domed alien habitat &#8211; complete with alien flora and fauna. There&#8217;s a bank of lights that create an indoor time of day cycle.
The player makes his way through the guts of the ship &#8211; eventually reaching The control center. The player discovers Danielle plugged into the alien mainframe. She&#8217;s has become exponentially more powerful and is able to act as a mouthpiece for the alien intelligence.
Danielle communicates the Alien ship&#8217;s demands that the player retrieve tech imbedded in the experiments gone wrong (sub-bosses). The player takes a new route back out of the alien ship, through the human labs fighting / stealthing along the way.
Danielle also starts instructing you on how to royally fuck over the aliens. You decide which missions to do. You recover new weapons and fight different enemies based on your choices.
Game wraps with the aliens leaving or with their ship blowing up&#8230; depending on which course you follow. Either way Danielle survives as a fledgling super AI that&#8217;s been deeply damaged by her contact with the Aliens.

Approach 2 &#8211; RetroFuture
The scene opens on a man running through the streets of an abandoned city. The city itself is a 50&#8217;s retro / but with a layer of sci fi worked over the top.
He looks around desperately, then pulls out a retro high tech device...
Behind him, men dressed in black with blurred faces begin fading in like phantoms and begin to chase him.
He dives into a shop reminiscent of Hopper&#8217;s &#8220;Nighthawks at the Diner&#8221;
Using his device he&#8217;s able to hack into building itself - causing a section to open up &#8211; revealing Alien ship architecture underneath.
He hacks an alien sentry robot to fend off the phantoms and makes his escape.
The city area is a blend of Art Nouveau / 50&#8217;s era NYC / with a subtle Sci-Fi overlay
The player makes his way back and forth through the Alien ship and the urban façade habitat.
Movie inspiration
Dark City Brazil Hearts in Atlantis Metropolis Matrix

Approach 3 &#8211; Raph / Ricardo story doc
Scene opens on the players bedroom overlooking a futuristic city scape It&#8217;s an urban mix of sleek / architectural elements with a lived in feel.
Emissive overlay HUD graphics Appear in scene
Post processed color timing
There are some odd elements &#8211; like the refrigerator doors are on backwards / slight compression errors that appear in the scene that are subtle but noticeable.
The player is working independently for a branch of the government &#8211; he&#8217;s sent to extract information about potential existence of Aliens via an advanced PDA.
Clothing has subtle sci/fi elements &#8211; unusual specular properties / contact lenses that glow when seen at the right angle, emissive cuff links, etc.
Incoming transmission - Alex Dran
The player receives a mysterious transmission from someone calling herself Danielle Sho &#8211; She tells him that everything isn&#8217;t as it seems.
Building graphics are keyed to the player &#8211; Daniell Sho hacks these and provides you With alternate information regarding the Mission and that your handlers can&#8217;t be trusted.
The player is taken by car through the city and is delivered to the parking garage of the building he needs to infiltrate.
HUD elements with relevant information appears in scene
Intel from Danielle Sho would Appear in a different font/color Style offering alternative options
It&#8217;s revealed that the player is actually part of an experiment &#8211; and that everything he&#8217;s Done has been set up on an elaborate stage
Further exploration reveals that he&#8217;s actually on board a human spaceship.
Thankfully a friendly female AI is helping you figure it out&#8230;
It&#8217;s revealed that the collectors are a group of human scientists that have captured and Experimented on both alien and humans.
Alex Dran is actually a collector And attempts to convince the player that he&#8217;s being brainwashed by Danielle Sho
Robots
Eco Bots &#8211; Create/repair the environment Guardian Bots &#8211; Patrol / security
Cleaner Bots &#8211; Patrol / securityScience Bots &#8211; DNA collection / experiments
Approach 4 &#8211; The Island
The Crytek engine is particularly strong on water, vegetation and outdoor terrain.
The player arrives on a tropical island and discovers that a bunker leads to a high tech military compound deep underground.
The player discovers that military scientists have attempted to create an AI based on technology recovered from a crashed alien ship.
&#8230; and it&#8217;s still there.
Questions?

Document2 said:
Code name: PROJECT DANIELLE
Platforms: Orbis (PS4), Durango (Xbox3), PC Game Mode: Single Player Ship Date: Q3 2016
1st person Immersive SimAction / RPG
PROJECT DANIELLE
&#8226; The king of Immersive Sim RPGs
&#8226; One of the most anticipated cult sequels
&#8226; You have to escape a space station where things have gone bad
Spiritual successor to System Shock 2
Story
Insert new story here
Key Highlights
&#8226; 1st person shooter + RPG hybrid
&#8226; Deep systems with original complementary properties that encourage player creativity
&#8226; 10-20 hours per play through
&#8226; Highly re-playable due to built in variability in the design and support for multiple play styles &#8226; Randomized pick ups, objectives, gating setups.
SS2 base layer for reference
&#8226; Security cameras / Light stealth &#8226; Hacking &#8226; Crates &#8226; Security computers &#8226; Vending machines &#8226; Doors &#8226; Mutants / robots / turrets &#8226; Audio Logs of dead crew that reveal the past through arguments, research logs, etc&#8230; &#8226; Research / chemical ingredients &#8226; Resurrect Chambers &#8226; Upgrade consoles &#8226; No dialog / faceless / voiceless gender neutral hero
&#8226; RPG &#8226; Cyber modules to upgrade player &#8226; Nanites to buy shit from vending machines &#8226; Psionic powers &#8226; Guns &#8226; Ammos &#8226; Food &#8226; Comlinks from shodan &#8226; Expected missions: &#8226; Go find a log of some guy to know the code to open a door &#8226; Batteries to recharge and plug in &#8226; Find the access card to X
Our version
&#8226; Our own flavor of all of the above &#8226; Real missions where your actions are connected to the plot, not just traverse space &#8226; A truly 3D interconnected space, Visually stimulating and that offers variety &#8226; More systems in every types of systems &#8226; Powers that are not only attacks &#8226; player movement &#8226; Gadgets &#8226; Physics &#8226; Monsters &#8226; Simulation &#8226; AI &#8226; Plant grow &#8226; Ecology&#8230;
We don&#8217;t know yet which feature will stand out
Melee &#8226; Heavy Wrench &#8226; Fire Axe &#8226; Guns are very limited in ammo
Ranged &#8226; Guns and lasers &#8226; Guided Blades (crafted by player)
Psionic Powers &#8226; Pacify / Control Enemies &#8226; Pull / throw physics &#8226; Invert gravity in an area
Combat is physical
To be updated
&#8226; Self-replicating liquids that duplicates themselves every time they feed. Kill them fast or face a swarm.
&#8226; Mimics that shape shift into objects, other monsters, or the player.
&#8226; Acid breathing aliens that corrode the environment when dying, spitting, or bleeding (cool way to open doors)
&#8226; Deranged Security and Repair bots native to the ship.
Unique Aliens with Imaginative Powers
Survival aspect
&#8226; Survival aspect &#8226; Food is rare &#8226; you can be poisoned &#8226; you need to sleep &#8226; Maybe you can fall sick &#8226; radiation has leaked in some areas&#8230;
&#8226; Crafting / scavenging &#8226; Extracting a component from a monster &#8226; Make an armor from a the skin of a tough specie &#8226; Make weapons &#8226; Grow your food &#8226; Cure to poison
Compose your own play style &#8226; Growing your character should be a system if we can pull it off &#8226; Hacker &#8226; Fighter &#8226; Stealth &#8226; Psionic
Upgrade Stats, acquire psionic powers, genetically mutate and acquire properties from other aliens by sampling their DNA. &#8226; Stick to walls &#8226; Chameleon &#8226; Work on your immunities
Tailor your Character
More cool shit
&#8226; Story Choices / consequences &#8226; Variability / replay ability &#8226; Out of game experience &#8226; social / achievement / tablet &#8226; Asynchronous log sharing
The game should be hard!
&#8226; Better for tension &#8226; We&#8217;ll still have modes for Anthony and Harvey
And&#8230;
&#8226; Monkeys!

If old, let this press sneak fuck know.

mrpeabody

It looks like Prey 2 concept documents have leaked on a torrent site. I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to the files here, but they just went up on a public and widely known site.

I have not been able to read them just yet, will post information when I can.

Some information from the document, which says they are targeting a 2016 Q3 release date.

•Spiritual successor to System Shock 2
•Characters / Plot can be all new
•Variety in the level layouts is important
•Avoid hallway-room-hallway play.
•Verticality
•Multiple paths through the environment
•Areas should serve a function

It's one thing to put that in a design document, it's another to make it work in-game. I won't believe "SS2 successor" hype until I see it with my own eyes.

Mully

I can't even find the torrent for myself.

I know there's a lot of reputable writers at Kotaku, but I've checked most Torrents and most of them do not have anything close to Prey 2 matching a May 27+ date.

I don't understand the spiritual successor to System Shock 2 part. Do these guys have any right to claim that, or is this like the spiritual successor to Moby Dick that I'm writing?

duckroll

"The player awakes in a high tech apartment - Bankok 2072 (A month before the events in System Shock 1)"

I thought it's a spiritual sequel! :p

denx

"The player awakes in a high tech apartment - Bankok 2072 (A month before the events in System Shock 1)"

I thought it's a spiritual sequel! :p

Yeah, it's weird that they are talking about a spiritual succesor to the System Shock series and then go on and make Prey 2 look like a straight up prequel to SS.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Maybe this is one of MS' exclusives

System Shock 2 was fairly pc-centric when it came to control scheme. It would be really awkward to play on a pad, much less the original game.

A true successor would be pc exclusive. You need shortcut keys for every little action, you need an inventory box instead of a weapon wheel, and you need a bunch of shit all over your hud.

Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den are pretty good System Shock 2 followups. And even though it was super streamlined, Dead Space as well.

Mully

How can we confirm any of this?

And if it is confirmed as a Prey 2 document, how can we confirm that it's a recent document. A lot of the stuff mentioned sounds like something made (either) years ago as conceptual document that's getting leaked now, or something that's likely irrelevant to what's being developed right now.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Its revealed he’s been reliving the same day over and over – the loop is broken and he awakes in a high tech medical lab. Danielle runs off – the player gets up and attempts to follow her.
Look is clinical but familiar / grounded. Lots of physics Interactions at the start.
He makes his way out of the lab and discovers that he’s Inside an advanced industrial complex of some type.

Sounds like Visceral's Dead Space.

Deadbeat

Banned
System Shock 2 was fairly pc-centric when it came to control scheme. It would be really awkward to play on a pad, much less the original game.

A true successor would be pc exclusive. You need shortcut keys for every little action, you need an inventory box instead of a weapon wheel, and you need a bunch of shit all over your hud.

Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den are pretty good System Shock 2 followups. And even though it was super streamlined, Dead Space as well.
Dead Space wasnt as streamlined as Bioshock. Dead Space devs felt I had enough of a brain to comprehend an inventory system.

jgminto

A lot of this reads like fan fiction to me. I do hope that Prey 2 is still a thing and we'll see it again soon but I'm definitely not buying this doc.

Approach 1 is so fuckin good I wanna buy the game and I haven't seen it yet.

I was mad when prey 2 was silently killed, but this rebirth sounds so good

I posted this in the last thread, but I'm calling bullshit.

"High level notes from Raph
&#8226;Spiritual successor to System Shock 2
&#8226;Characters / Plot can be all new
&#8226;Variety in the level layouts is important
&#8226;Avoidhallway-room-hallway play.
&#8226;Verticality
&#8226;Multiple paths through the environment
&#8226;Areas should serve a function"

doesnt_make_any_sense_anchorman.gif

The studio developing Prey 2 had nothing to do with System Shock 2.

Bioshock, which was developed by 2K Boston, also formerly known as Irrational Games (Which is now dead) developed System Shock 2 and created Bioshock as a spiritual successor.

I'm calling bullshit

Platforms: Orbis (PS4), Durango (Xbox3)

Why would they still be calling the consoles by their codenames?

Shit's old

sn00zer

Seems incredibly early if true....the fact that they were deciding on 4 totally different directions to take seems more like a pre doc

Shit's old
A spiritual successor doesn't necessarily have to be made by those who made the original. It can just be a reference point/influence. And Arkane does have a strong influence and even some employees from Looking Glass/Irrational.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Yeah, fuck that Origin story. It's going to turn out that the protagonist is actually being Edward Diego, and Danielle becomes SHODAN in the alien ship, albeit with constraints applied. He then presents the AI as his own work, and gets fast tracked through Tri-Optimum. He enjoys his success, but he misses Danielle. Edward then hires the Hacker, because he thinks that without the constraints, he'll get back the Danielle he fell in love with during the events of the game.

Shit I'm going to have nightmares.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Arkane managed to release a great Thief spiritual successor (Dishonored) that ended way better than the real Thief sequel we just got. so maybe they can make a great System Shock 2 spiritual successor and beat Bioshock 1/2/3 which failed in doing it right.

jgminto

SS2 is also owned by EA and neither Raphael nor Harvey worked on SS2, so it wouldn't make any sense for them to be trying to make a spiritual successor to something both the company or the individuals had nothing to do with.

Shit's old

lol

takoyaki

If this is legit then I find it this part interesting:

"Avoid hard &#8220;M&#8221; rated gore - It&#8217;s more about psychological terror."

it's been a thing in the movie world to distinguish between "hard R rated" movies and "rated R (wink-wink)" movies. I wonder if this is a thing in the industry and if it affects a store's stance on selling M-rated games to minors or if the guy just used movie jargon.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
If this is legit then I find it this part interesting:

"Avoid hard &#8220;M&#8221; rated gore - It&#8217;s more about psychological terror."

it's been a thing in the movie world to distinguish between "hard R rated" movies and "rated R (wink-wink)" movies. I wonder if this is a thing in the industry and if it affects a store's stance on selling M-rated games to minors or if the guy just used movie jargon.

I think that whole minor thing exists outside the industry. If anything, developers need to worry about excessive horror because it's either done right or it's just bad. I think the ratings board(s) are like the separation between church and state. Lay down the rules, but leave the rhetoric out of it.

The poor Prey series has the 3D Realms curse of long convoluted development times. But it is interesting to see that the sequel is still alive.

Top Bottom